Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
orange808

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by orange808 »

When lefties own and watch 300.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey also missed the mark by a mile. Two side quests about the Helots?

Crack a history book some time, kiddo. No. You cannot BLM and 300.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

drauch wrote:Man, just earlier this week I decided to hit up HG101 for fun and noticed they had an "immersive sim" category. Like, uh, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, STALKER, and Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Hmm. Yet they don't distinguish Strategy and turn-based/real-time and tactics. Lovely site.
Lovely meaning trash?

With the genre nitpicking, once you've been around metal communities everything else pales in comparison.
drauch

Post by drauch »

No way man, hardcore gamers only within.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

orange808 wrote:When lefties own and watch 300.
Would you make an exception for lefties who watch it with Rifftrax?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

drauch wrote:Man, just earlier this week I decided to hit up HG101 for fun and noticed they had an "immersive sim" category. Like, uh, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, STALKER, and Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Hmm. Yet they don't distinguish Strategy and turn-based/real-time and tactics. Lovely site.
How's anyone gonna lump in Deus Ex, SS2, Stalker with The Sims...
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
drauch

Post by drauch »

I was hoping they did something on Sim City or The Sims to find out, but no luck, not Japanese enough I'd presume. BUT! They do have a Simulation category, not to be confused with "immersive sim". In here we've got Populous, Simcopter, and then Syndicate, and Gangsters: Organized Crime. Love it.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I had an argument with my family over the things I was spending money on, in particular a SCART cable I ordered for my PS1 was a point of contention. I tried to explain using picture comparisons that RGB SCART provides a significantly improved picture over the blurriness of composite, but they didn't want to hear it, they just kept saying "Both pictures look the same, they're both old" and "If you want better picture play the PS4 instead of spending money going backwards to the PS1, then spending more money trying to 'fix' it". and "Why do you keep spending money on old game systems when everyone else has moved on to the present". Basically they're accusing me of trying to polish a turd.

Granted, I think that it wasn't really that they were upset I was spending money on retro gaming, I think it was more they were upset I was spending money in general on non-necessities given I'm essentially a NEET manchild, but in graduate school (a NET?), and not bringing in any kind of actual income beyond potentially TrumpBux, which I may not actually see being a dependent. Admittedly, I have a lot of obsessive and compulsive tendencies (probably as a result of my OCD), and I tend to get fixated on constantly tinkering with different projects (which requires a variety of parts and cables), and I have very noticeable compulsive spending behavior.

Still, I just found it very annoying that any explanations I tried to bring up were dismissed with "lol that shit is too old, you can't polish a turd, etc."
Last edited by cave hermit on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

cave hermit wrote:I had an argument with my family over the things I was spending money on, in particular a SCART cable I ordered for my PS1 was a point of contention. I tried to explain using picture comparisons that RGB SCART provides a significantly improved picture over the blurriness of composite, but they didn't want to hear it, they just kept saying "Both pictures look the same, they're both old" and "If you want better picture play the PS4 instead of spending money going backwards to the PS1, then spending more money trying to 'fix' it". and "Why do you keep spending money on old game systems when everyone else has moved on to the present". Basically they're accusing me of trying to polish a turd.

Granted, I think that it wasn't really that they were upset I was spending money on retro gaming, I think it was more they were upset I was spending money in general on non-necessities given I'm essentially a NEET manchild, but in graduate school (a NET?), and not bringing in any kind of actual income beyond potentially TrumpBux, which I may not actually see being a dependent.

Still, I just found it very annoying that any explanations I tried to bring up were dismissed with "lol that shit is too old, you can't polish a turd, etc."
Lol. JFC.

There's way too much here to want to tackle it all but what a straight up ignorant view. Some of us do happen to like old game design.

As for Trump Bux you get them if you filed a tax return. So from what you've said, it's unlikely.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I mean, it is true that S-video is good enough for 99% of people who play PlayStation games and already a huge step up from composite.
"Why do you keep spending money on old game systems when everyone else has moved on to the present"
This is just straight-up dumb, though.

I wonder what your family would think of the people buying $400 upscalers.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Games that don't even change the system resolution that still only offer resolution settings based on what your video card accepts.
Seriously, just give me a percentage slider or let me type in my own numbers, there's no technical reason for it if you're just going to scale the result up to native res anyway.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

yeah just hit mousewheel button to scroll to the bottom of a thread, then clicked off but I had moused over muh emulator in the taskbar which brought up the preview menu for a milisecond so my mousewheel click-off in fact closed my emulator. AGAIN

can't figure out how to disable this lovely feature of mousewheel closing windows.

edit: guess i'll try and re-train to click off with leftclick
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Blinge wrote:yeah just hit mousewheel button to scroll to the bottom of a thread, then clicked off but I had moused over muh emulator in the taskbar which brought up the preview menu for a milisecond so my mousewheel click-off in fact closed my emulator. AGAIN

can't figure out how to disable this lovely feature of mousewheel closing windows.

Wow, yeesh, that does sound annoying. I like middle-click close on tabs and the lot, but those little mini preview windows pop up at the worst times.
They take two seconds of hover to come up, and who in the world who uses middle-click to close things is going to wait multiple seconds for the ability to do so?
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jesus Christ, reddit's default thread view is AIDS. Is there a way to make it display messages like a fucking normal forum? Trying to follow conversations gets exhausting, and they're usually full of shit to begin with. It's like a box of chocolates where every one is triple-shrinkwrapped and half are actually turds.

DURR CLICK TO SHOW VERY BAD NOT GOOD MESSAGE how about you let me decide whether it's a bad message or not, using this amazing technology we call "eyes?"
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:Jesus Christ, reddit's default thread view is AIDS. Is there a way to make it display messages like a fucking normal forum? Trying to follow conversations gets exhausting, and they're usually full of shit to begin with. It's like a box of chocolates where every one is triple-shrinkwrapped and half are actually turds.

DURR CLICK TO SHOW VERY BAD NOT GOOD MESSAGE how about you let me decide whether it's a bad message or not, using this amazing technology we call "eyes?"
I've boiled reddit down to only the subreddits that I care about at all and saved a link to sort-by-new. I've found that's a good way to not see the worst of it.

It got so bad over the last year that I dropped several subreddits I liked because of suck. r/mildlyinteresting was the last one on the chopping block. It was good weird fun while it lasted, but now it's just filled with assholes who think that every post is supposed to be a revelation.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Blinge wrote:yeah just hit mousewheel button to scroll to the bottom of a thread, then clicked off but I had moused over muh emulator in the taskbar which brought up the preview menu for a milisecond so my mousewheel click-off in fact closed my emulator. AGAIN

"Use the keyboard, Luke". :wink:
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BIL wrote:Jesus Christ, reddit's default thread view is AIDS. Is there a way to make it display messages like a fucking normal forum? Trying to follow conversations gets exhausting, and they're usually full of shit to begin with. It's like a box of chocolates where every one is triple-shrinkwrapped and half are actually turds.

Reddit is a worse medium of communication than conventional forums in every possible way. It's insane.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Pigtails are a repulsive hairstyle.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Blinge wrote:can't figure out how to disable this lovely feature of mousewheel closing windows.

I do photo editing and whatnot sometimes, and use CTRL + Mousewheel a lot. Unfortunately it's also a common combo in Windows to start resizing desktop icons, annoyingly enough. If you don't realize you've accidentally lost window focus because you're clicking between various programs it's easy to screw up your desktop icon layout when you're just trying to zoom in. It's annoying enough that I use an Autohotkey setup to disable CTRL + Mousewheel from registering and use alternate hotkeys to quickly zoom in and out as need be. You might be able to do something similar with a toggle that disables the mousewheel as need be.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Blinge wrote:Pigtails are a repulsive hairstyle.
IMO they look fine on young girls but the older a woman gets the sillier it tends to comes off.

While I'm here, I don't know if anyone remembers my rant from a little ways back about my insurance company refusing to cover a medical scan to determine if I inherited a heart defect from my dad (who's getting surgery on said defect next week), despite my dad's cardiologist recommending I get it done and my primary doctor writing me a prescription for it; seems they were ahead of the curve on the "if you don't have symptoms, we won't bother" trend that's been all the rage (and such a resounding success) during the Covid outbreak. :roll:

In any event, I attempted to appeal the decision through my doctor's office, but after several months of back-and-forth they recently told me that despite their attempts to convince the insurance company otherwise the latter weren't changing their minds; the doc suggested I get in touch with my father's cardiologist and see if perhaps they could do something for me. I managed to get ahold of the office today, and when I told them my story the response was, in a nutshell, "if you come in to see the cardiologist yourself (despite having no current heart issues to speak of), and get him to write you a prescription, maybe the insurer will be more inclined to cover the scan. Would you like to make an appointment now?"

Not at this time, I politely answered. :lol:

Not sure what other recourse I have at this point except to pay for the whole mess out of pocket, or, more likely, forget it and hope this doesn't come back to haunt me in a couple decades.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Games that don't scroll until you reach the edge of the screen. Beyond Oasis, Crystalis, Phantasy Star II, there's tons of them. How does this make any sense? I can only see four feet in front of me anywhere I go, but like half a football field behind me presumably with the eyes in the back of my head.

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

EDIT: Wow, I read your post too fast, and misunderstood it entirely. Forget about what I said.
I left my post in here so people will know how stupid I am.

Yes, that kind of scrolling is dumb.
Spoiler
For what it's worth I'm working on a game that does exactly that.
Inspired by the impressions of the game world I got from Link's Awakening, I just think there's an entirely different experience from a world being compartmentalized into tiny individual experiences, and it really helps making geographically smaller areas feel like larger and more dense place.

Of course there's a huge difference in how you'd design a game for scrolling and for one that doesn't.

Also wtf, Beyond Oasis scrolls. We're talking about Story of Thor, right?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sengoku Strider wrote: I can only see four feet in front of me anywhere I go, but like half a football field behind me presumably with the eyes in the back of my head.
lmfao why has that never annoyed me. i know it will now.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:Also wtf, Beyond Oasis scrolls. We're talking about Story of Thor, right?
Beyond Oasis is the North American name for Story of Thor (MD). ;3 And it indeed has a god-awful screen edge-riding camera. A shame, as I really like its Zelda/Bare Knuckle hybrid otherwise. It's not as bad as it'd be in something with 1HKOs, but it still drags the game's whole feel down. Exploring enemy-infested overworlds and trap-loaded dungeons with the character inches from the incoming screen gives me a headache.

Edge-riding cameras in 2D action games are basically a firing offence in my book. Even games that slightly offset the character towards the edge (Ninja-kun II, Mutant Night) bug me. For all Athena's bullshit, I'd have put up with it if not for the obscene left-scrolling camera, which makes backtracking a "hit me in the face 4 FREE" sign.

A lesser category are games where the character can come "unstuck" and migrate to the edge. Aladdin (MD) does this, jumping will put you nearer and nearer the edge, with a [forward] double-tap resetting. Sometimes when you die un-centered, the camera loses its shit and can't figure out where the respawned character is, haha.

There's also stuff like Heavy Barrel and Psycho Dream (SFC), where the camera's too slow to keep up with a moving player, so you end up loitering near the edge waiting for it to gradually unveil the incoming screen. I'm sure there's one of these that'll let you flat-out leave the viewable area, but mercifully I've not encountered it.

Saigo no Nindou, a cruelly random game with no end of nasty surprises, nails its character to the screen center at all times, come hell or high water. That's the best approach, generally.

I make a very specific exception for Sunset Riders, where jumping and sliding will both migrate you nearer to the screen edge, in small and large increments respectively. Once you're off-center, you can stay there by simply walking forward. The critical difference between this and Aladdin is that Sunset's camera auto-refocuses; as soon as you leave center, it'll zip after you.

This lets experienced players do some interesting things, like positioning themselves slightly ahead of boobytraps, and getting the jump on enemies expecting a centered player. Invaluable versus stage 6's Injun barricades - hop over and downshot 'em before they can begin loosing arrows. Stage 3's rope climb can be skipped, for another example. The Pyro will always drop his flare, but it's no problem if you're already past the oil slick.

Spoiler

Handy in the final stage's opening siege, too, provided you know how the Compile-style burst invincibility works.

Contra Spirits (SFC) also lets you leave center in the aftermath of any "hard stop" (midboss, setpiece, etc), which again can let you bypass and speedkill stuff that's expecting a centered player. Stage 1's INFERNO CITY is a good example, though BIG SNAKE will always force a pause. Again, exactly like its close relative Sunset, the camera actively chases you, so riding the screen edge is something you have to actively trigger and maintain, as opposed to running afoul of it constantly as in lesser games.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote:Saigo no Nindou, a cruelly random game with no end of nasty surprises, nails its character to the screen center at all times, come hell or high water. That's the best approach, generally.
Yeah, I'm struggling to think of a single player action game where I'm not happy with this approach. It's best for top-down adventure/action games too like Brain Lord in most cases. It didn't annoy me as much in Story of Thor but as mentioned that's because it's a relatively forgiving game and nowhere near as tough as some other games in the genre.

The only game genre where I'm okay with unusually slow scrolling is a 2D beat 'em up. Streets of Rage 2 has a slower, fixed speed screen scrolling. This means if you're thrown to the right, you can actually recover and move back to the left to prevent the camera from scrolling too far ahead and triggering encounters, whereas Streets of Rage 3 has instant scrolling that follows the player. In Streets of Rage Remake, all characters can run, and you have the ability to choose scrolling type. It may feel odd that you can run faster than the screen can scroll and have to wait for it to catch up, but the slower scrolling helps for sections where you want to carefully and methodically pull one enemy at a time, so you don't accidentally scroll the screen much more than intended if you're attacked.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:In Streets of Rage Remake, all characters can run, and you have the ability to choose scrolling type.

That's the sort of attention to detail I like to see in remakes/compilations.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

ur boi just recorded 20 minutes of video script with his Blue Yeti / Mic facing the wrong way.

turns the audio from blue yeti into blue waffle.. and I spent ages polishing that turd wondering why my voice sounded different on that day.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Sumez wrote:EDIT: Wow, I read your post too fast, and misunderstood it entirely. Forget about what I said.
I left my post in here so people will know how stupid I am.

Yes, that kind of scrolling is dumb.
Spoiler
For what it's worth I'm working on a game that does exactly that.
Inspired by the impressions of the game world I got from Link's Awakening, I just think there's an entirely different experience from a world being compartmentalized into tiny individual experiences, and it really helps making geographically smaller areas feel like larger and more dense place.

Of course there's a huge difference in how you'd design a game for scrolling and for one that doesn't.

Also wtf, Beyond Oasis scrolls. We're talking about Story of Thor, right?
LOL, don't even worry about it.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

People calling playstation plus games "free" annoy the hell out of me
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I just got a review that went into heavy detail on game mechanics rejected on GameFAQs:
A review should focus solely on the content of the game rather than the technical aspects of the game.
Oh, fuck off. The gameplay mechanics are the content.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm surprised to hear GameFAQs have "quality" requirements for their reviews, because like 90% of the reviews on there are useless crap.

Which game?