Okay folks, what do we think of Dragon's Crown?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
MrOldSchoolCool

Okay folks, what do we think of Dragon's Crown?

Post by MrOldSchoolCool »

I found the game briefly mentioned here and there on this site from a search, and was oddly delighted to find that quite a few people share the same criticism I have of the game.

What it comes down to is that I wish this game was more like the Capcom Beat 'em Ups it's influenced by and less of a loot fest. I'm only about a couple hours in, so let me know if it gets better but what exactly is the challenge here? Your allies can do a ton of the work for you and even though you technically have "lives" you can run out of, you can just pay with money (of which you always have plenty). Getting more and better gear? Who cares if it's all a cake walk anyway.

The best suggestion I saw was by one user who recommended that the game have an "arcade mode" with a set number of lives, brief story elements between stages and set gear setups for each character class to distinguish them.

EDIT: Disabling allies from joining you and going solo has made the game far more enjoyable for me. The challenge is more appropriate and I can see what I'm doing better.
Last edited by MrOldSchoolCool on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Re: Okay folks, what do we think of Dragon's Crown?

Post by FinalBaton »

I have yet to play the PS4 Pro port, but I played maybe 1/3 of the PS3 one and I really liked it. Really fun couch coop game (a rarity in this day and age). It had me wanting to keep grinding and get new moves, and I thought the combat was fun. sometimes the visuals are just the tinyest bit cluttered, with all those lush paint-style textures and whatnot. But the 4k internal res (or close I think?) of the PS4 Pro port should alleviate that actually.

Only major thing I didn't like is that when you go leveling up your stats (and buying gear too I think?) you have to do it one character at a a time which is annoying (enter the shop with said character, level up, then go out. then your friend enters with his character etc)

Not a ton of locales but you keep going deeper into them. I don't remember if you can skip these early part of the dungeons and go straight to a much deeper level, but I think you can't. Gotta trek through the early part again but it's quick. I don't remember if you can find treasures that are up to your level and face harder monsters in those early parts of each locale as you trek through them for the Nth time.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
guigui

Post by guigui »

I found the game was awesome, difficulty increases.
Disabling characters controlled by AI is a mandatory first step to begin actually playing the game.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
CIT

Post by CIT »

The aesthetics alone make this game phenomenal, but I also find the game itself really fun. The real meat is in the dungeon mode imo, because it introduces a nice risk/reward system, where items get better and better the deeper you go, but recovery also becomes harder and harder. I found that super addictive. Anyway, it’s inspired by Shadow over Mystara etc. but it’s only that – inspired. At its core it’s just a very different type of game.

Also: Boobs!!
MrOldSchoolCool

guigui wrote:I found the game was awesome, difficulty increases.
Disabling characters controlled by AI is a mandatory first step to begin actually playing the game.
Hahah. Time to let everybody die and then bury all the bones I suppose :) If they're still alive, I noticed they'll show up when you start a stage even if you don't invite them into your party those bastards!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Played it for 5 or so hours on my brother’s PS3 and it’s the only game that I occasionally think about picking up a PS3/4 for.

I treated it like a loot grind game and had a blast. I keep hoping for a PC port so I can finally enjoy it without caving on buying a console.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
MrOldSchoolCool

CStarFlare wrote:Played it for 5 or so hours on my brother’s PS3 and it’s the only game that I occasionally think about picking up a PS3/4 for.

I treated it like a loot grind game and had a blast. I keep hoping for a PC port so I can finally enjoy it without caving on buying a console.
I would say that PS3s must be pretty cheap by this point but the Pandemic has caused the prices on everything to spike up.

I guess I just don't understand the appeal of loot grind games. What's the satisfaction of picking up a bunch of loot if there's no resistance to getting it other than just spending your time?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

It’s like sidescrolling Diablo. You can put effort into it if you want, or you can enjoy the pretty graphics and get the occasional dopamine rush when gathering your loot.

Anyway, price was never the issue. I’ve moved a lot in the last couple years and no longer live alone, and travel a fair bit besides. Consoles don’t fit into my lifestyle nearly as well as they used to, sadly. I had a chance to pick up my SNES stuff from my parents’ house earlier this month and decided against it for those reasons, and I’d probably have used it more than a PS3 overall.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I have it on my Vita. I love the game. Generally I can't stand beat em ups, but this was one of the few I enjoyed enough to just binge like crazy. Then again, I just love VanillaWare's action RPG's so I guess this was a given. I find it to be their best looking game as well. Not that the art style is super different from Odin Sphere, but things generally seem even more detailed and polished than their usual high detail and polish. lol
It reminds me a lot of playing Scott Pilgrim with my friends in high school.
guigui

Post by guigui »

MrOldSchoolCool wrote:
Hahah. Time to let everybody die and then bury all the bones I suppose :) If they're still alive, I noticed they'll show up when you start a stage even if you don't invite them into your party those bastards!
Iirc you can remove them in sthg like the tavern ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
MrOldSchoolCool

guigui wrote:
MrOldSchoolCool wrote:
Iirc you can remove them in sthg like the tavern ?
Yup, you can. Just gotta press triangle to disable their slots. BTW, going solo has made the game way more fun for me. Thanks for the tip.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Beautiful game. It's the closest we'll ever get to a Boris Vallejo drawn beat-em-up.

I love and respect that it had the balls to be so 'in-your-face' with human sexuality in a (wonderfully surprising) adult way. Can't think of many other games that have pushed the envelope in this way, besides maybe Catherine.

It truly is one-of-a-kind. I expect it to go for a hefty sum in the future.

I wish Vanillaware would take a swing at the STG genre...
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

It slaps. Not a big fan of the genre but I couldn't put it down.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

definitely an excellent title that i need to get my hands back on some time. :mrgreen:
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

kid aphex wrote: I wish Vanillaware would take a swing at the STG genre...
Shigatake himself is at least, assuming you aren't familiar with Devil Blade.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

XoPachi wrote:
kid aphex wrote: I wish Vanillaware would take a swing at the STG genre...
Shigatake himself is at least, assuming you aren't familiar with Devil Blade.
Had no idea, thanks for the info drop

A few years back, Vanillaware had a Christmas greetings business card that had art that could’ve been right out of a Shmup. I always felt it was a huge tease... I’ll see if I can dig it out and post it.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

boagman

Post by boagman »

I have it but tired of it quickly...I thought the play of it seemed difficult to understand.
WaxDoctor

Post by WaxDoctor »

There is nothing quite like the art style that vanilla ware has, the studio behind the dragons crown game. Their games are pretty much animated art paintings. That Wizard woman, jesus, best boobs in game ever. I got myself a boob toy based on her characters thats just as huge, it's the one in the video here:
https://boobloveclub.com/boob-sex-toy-reviews/

Vanilla Ware has a new game out, I recommend it: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Unfortunately only available for PS4-PS5