Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by BIL »

Fuckin Michael Imperioli not dyeing his hair, making me feel MEZZOMORTE, OLDER THAN A MUHFUCKA Image

Well no I don't blame him, I don't plan on doing that either. MUH BRAIN is too important to ongoing research in dick vaccines.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

https://youtu.be/qK4L4wR3-pU

The SuperMario 64 Iceberg Explained.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Techi ... enshot.png

I'm triggered.
What should I be looking for in that pic that stands out or is out of place?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Trees made of Yoshi Bollocks? >_>
Steamflogger Boss

Specineff wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Techi ... enshot.png

I'm triggered.
What should I be looking for in that pic that stands out or is out of place?
BIL understands me. :lol:

The trees.
Steamflogger Boss

Blinge wrote:https://youtu.be/qK4L4wR3-pU

The SuperMario 64 Iceberg Explained.
Burinju would you say that From Soft games have a negative emotional aura?
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Savages who eat pizza with their hands, instead of using fork and knife as civilized people do. Appalling!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Stormwatch wrote:Savages who eat pizza with their hands, instead of using fork and knife as civilized people do. Appalling!
I have only one thing to say in response to that. :P

On-topic, folks around here have heard me gripe plenty about the Randian hellscape Steam has become, but the cherry on top of the proverbial sundae are the developers who not only clog the store with self-evident zero-effort garbage, but have the gall to rattle off pretentious lists of "influences" that their turd was supposedly "inspired by".

Look at this piece of shit and tell me that "film noir and art deco architecture" were anywhere on the developer's mind anytime within the process except the "time to come up with something that sounds impressive in hopes of getting a few sales off of the pitiably gullible" phase at the very end. :lol:

And don't forget to sign up for updates about the upcoming sequel, which will presumably be a Dadaist retelling of Candide vis-a-vis William Gibson. :lol:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Stormwatch wrote:Savages who eat pizza with their hands, instead of using fork and knife as civilized people do. Appalling!
Cutting up pizza into utensil-sized pieces would ruin the texture. It's like sushi, meant to be eaten by-hand and whole if possible.

BulletMagnet wrote: I have only one thing to say in response to that. :P
That diner brings back memories. My uncle lived around the corner from there.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BulletMagnet wrote:
On-topic, folks around here have heard me gripe plenty about the Randian hellscape Steam has become, but the cherry on top of the proverbial sundae are the developers who not only clog the store with self-evident zero-effort garbage, but have the gall to rattle off pretentious lists of "influences" that their turd was supposedly "inspired by".

Look at this piece of shit and tell me that "film noir and art deco architecture" were anywhere on the developer's mind anytime within the process except the "time to come up with something that sounds impressive in hopes of getting a few sales off of the pitiably gullible" phase at the very end. :lol:

And don't forget to sign up for updates about the upcoming sequel, which will presumably be a Dadaist retelling of Candide vis-a-vis William Gibson. :lol:
Wow. I see the dev also has an RPG. The art assets are embarrassing.

In that one, the dev mixes GPU particles and lighting with the poorly drawn and animated sprites. It's absolutely ghastly.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/926610/Superior_Wizards/

If you want to charm people with low rent assets, you need creative and funny ideas to sell the stylized environment. The gamer should laugh with you, not at you. :)
We apologise for the inconvenience
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Is it really that hard to find and hire a decent pixel artist, at least for the characters?
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

HDMI ARC. What a temperamental piece of shit. Want to use another input on your soundbar? Good luck. Priority is given to the ARC input and auto switches to it even if you try and override it with the remote. LGs solution, go through a bunch of menus and turn shit off to get it to behave, then do the same in reverse when you want to actually use it.

Absolute fucking nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

orange808 wrote:Wow. I see the dev also has an RPG.
Another telltale sign of a dev operating in good faith and the brilliance of Steam's "what me worry" business model: a game supposedly planning to take "several weeks to a few months" in Early Access...which has been there for nearly two years. And it's far from the worst offender you can find. :lol:

At least it doesn't claim to have been inspired by Peter Bruegel the Elder.
Steamflogger Boss

I don't browse Steam so I was not aware of these, errr, gems.

The second one linked to has 4 reviews, all positive. Friends of the creator perhaps? It looks dire.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

BulletMagnet wrote:
orange808 wrote:Wow. I see the dev also has an RPG.
Another telltale sign of a dev operating in good faith and the brilliance of Steam's "what me worry" business model
Wonder if we'll see Icy's UberGame there someday.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

This curator keeps track of Early Access abandonware.
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/ ... s-Watcher/

In most cases Early Access, seems like a place to dump an unfinished project when burn out sets in, get some coin, and drop out. In my experience, burn out on a project can last for years. Some devs may honestly believe they will feel motivated again next week, but it doesn't work that way.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

orange808 wrote: In my experience, burn out on a project can last for years. Some devs may honestly believe they will feel motivated again next week, but it doesn't work that way.
DarkXL anybody?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

orange808 wrote:This curator keeps track of Early Access abandonware.
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/ ... s-Watcher/
I hope someone pays him for it, that's a full time job. :lol:
Specineff wrote:Wonder if we'll see Icy's UberGame there someday.
I'd bet it's already floating around the dregs of itch.io somewhere. :lol:
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I may have posted this before, but seeing people upload a longplay of a game without having the smallest idea of how to play it. Case in point: A longplay of Phantasy Star Generation One in which the uploader went for three 10-minute chapters wandering around looking for the way to get the roadpass. Granted, the game doesn't make it terribly obvious, but don't we have the Internet for that kind of things?

Exhibit B: The room on fire in Dead Space 2. A computerized voice states repeatedly that it's necessary to deplete the oxygen in the area to suffocate the flames, with three atmospheric purifiers visible nearby, with blinking lights indicating activity. Player proceeds to shoot at the base of the flames or even try to walk through them. WTF.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

This is why I never watch gameplay videos unless they're 1CCs, scoring videos, glitch expos, speedruns, and the like. Even video walkthroughs suck most of the time if you ask me.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hmm.. I dunno, some people enjoy watching the process.
Like I enjoy seeing blind plays of Dark Souls, depending on the person playing.

If they looked everything up it'd lose some of that magic.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It depends on the game. In general "longplays" completely fail to properly demonstrate the gameplay experience.
Hell, I don't really mind the blind play as much, as that's how most people would experience the game for the first time (Dark Souls is especially a good example, and an expert playthrough would give you no indication of what it really feels like to play)
But when they start using savestates to "luck" their way through every section of a game, just winging it with absurdly ineffecient strategies, they can easily end up completely miscommunicating elements that might be central to the gameplay in especially arcade or puzzle games.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

The only good videos of bumbling through games is GameCenter CX.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

how I don't understand the term "Immersive Sim" what it means and what distinguishes it from other games.
correct me if I'm wrong (purpose of this post) but isn't it a distinction without a difference?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Blinge wrote:how I don't understand the term "Immersive Sim" what it means and what distinguishes it from other games.
correct me if I'm wrong (purpose of this post) but isn't it a distinction without a difference?
I think it's the difference between "Sim City" and "The Sims," but that's just my casual understanding of it. "Second Life" also comes to mind. Anything where you are immersed rather than managing.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

vol.2 wrote:
Blinge wrote:how I don't understand the term "Immersive Sim" what it means and what distinguishes it from other games.
I think it's the difference between "Sim City" and "The Sims," but that's just my casual understanding of it. "Second Life" also comes to mind. Anything where you are immersed rather than managing.
Not directed at anyone in particular, but genre classification gets out of hand.

I'm not a huge fan of making up thousands of (often subjective) genre and subgenre names to pretentiously flame people. Not saying that anybody is doing that now, it's just a general observation.

Anyhow, in terms of "sim" games, I would put The Sims and Second Life in one catagory. Ultima Online also managed to partially inhabit the same genre. UO defies clarification. It also seems criminal to reference those games with saying the word: "grind". :) Some later entries to the Harvest Moon series also devolved into grind gameplay with increasingly bloated designs.

On the other side, there's Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing. Although, I would still argue that Animal Crossing was a bit of grinder. I haven't played the new ones, but the Gamecube punished me for not playing everyday. I logged in one day, the town was a mess and I turned it off again--forever. (Never punish the player for having real responsibilities, that's poor design.)

Also: (Sorry for not using the Japanese name for Animal Crossing, because that's always so "important"!! Ya know, for American kids to call the US localised version they are playing the Japanese title.. Not pretentious at all... Pfft...) Once again, a general observation from years of knowing other gamers. It annoys the hell out of me. Read the label and the title screen. That's the name of the software.

Anyhow, I see grindy micromanaging sim games versus more relaxed ones. Not sure what "immersive" means. All good game designs feel immersive.

grind =/= immersion
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't think you'd ever consider a game like Sim City "immersive" no matter how well designed it is?

vol.2's definition honestly makes a lot of sense.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Man, just earlier this week I decided to hit up HG101 for fun and noticed they had an "immersive sim" category. Like, uh, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, STALKER, and Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Hmm. Yet they don't distinguish Strategy and turn-based/real-time and tactics. Lovely site.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Sumez wrote:I don't think you'd ever consider a game like Sim City "immersive" no matter how well designed it is?

vol.2's definition honestly makes a lot of sense.
At it's heart, SimCity is a straightforward strategy game. :)

Although, for me, I don't need an in-game individual avatar that directly influences the environment to feel invested.