Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MX7

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by MX7 »

Mischief Maker wrote:itch.io is doing a huge charity bundle right now. They auto-filled $10 into the amount and I attempted to change it to $5. Then I get the receipt and it said I paid $100.05.

GODDAMNIT!!!

(Waiting on itch.io support for a refund, fingers-crossed)
I think you've got to you've just lost $100. I don't even think Larry David would stoop to fishing money out a collection jar. At least it's for a for a good cause!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Frenetic wrote:Not do little things to annoy the hell out of people.
lmao

I really hate when double record sets do side A&D on one record and B&C on the other record. It's not common anymore, but I think every single Reprise Records release does this, and some others like columbia. Why the hell do they make you go put away the first record and then drag out the second one and then go back and put the first one on again!
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

vol.2 wrote:
Frenetic wrote:Not do little things to annoy the hell out of people.
lmao

I really hate when double record sets do side A&D on one record and B&C on the other record. It's not common anymore, but I think every single Reprise Records release does this, and some others like columbia. Why the hell do they make you go put away the first record and then drag out the second one and then go back and put the first one on again!
i think most old record changers couldnt flip records, they could just play one side and then change to another disc so maybe it was to accomodate that
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

This game show that thinks "Time Crisis" is a first person shooter akin to Doom, Quake, or Deus Ex.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

The demand for low-spec, overpriced emulation handhelds.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BIL

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:This game show that thinks "Time Crisis" is a first person shooter akin to Doom, Quake, or Deus Ex.
Blimey, Vicky's already considerable tits got fookin massive while she was knocked up :o Image Oh, ahem. Yes, the erasure of gallery shooting is shameful! If I were in charge, the choices would've been Ultima Underworld, Spear of Destiny, Nitemare 3D and Blake Stone. :cool:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Nitemare 3D has 3D in the name, too much of a hint. Swap it out for Ken's Labyrinth! :lol:

Blake Stone was up there with Wrath of Earth in that it was one of the games that really pushed the no vertical movement, Wolfenstein 3D style FPS to its limit as far as creativity goes. Neat stuff.

I had Blake Stone, Doom, Nitemare 3D, and a bunch of other FPSes on a shareware CD back in the day, and as a kid Nitemare 3D for some reason terrified me the most. The scream whenever you aggro mummies or Frankenstein's monsters for some reason was way worse than the stuff in Doom, probably because everything felt cramped as all hell in Nitemare 3D. Still the scariest game to me because of how nasty all the hitscan projectile enemies are later on, haha.

Also, Hugo's face in the oldest versions apparently was updated in a later version to look like someone flattened his head with a sledgehammer. True horror.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always found it kinda endearing, Hugo getting a fourth game (and a radical genre-shift, at that). Played all three of the adventure titles via shareware floppy back in the day, but I guess Nitemare 3D was distributed differently... I don't think it ever turned up at any of my local PC places. Didn't get to play it until '98, well after Quake. Even in 1994 it'd have been outmoded by Doom II et al, but I still liked that distinctly garish David P. Gray aesthetic.

I vaguely recall some unnerving, sporadic chase sequences in the Hugo adventures, come to think of it. Maybe I'm mixing it up with Maniac Mansion. I definitely recall trying out various sweary barbs in the text box and enjoying the games' comebacks. :mrgreen:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Garish and charming. A lot like Catacomb Abyss's graphics in a way, except with a much less limited colour palette. A lot of detail went into the actual house details too, but exactly how many secret passage bookcases, and how many fireplaces does a house need? Can a man not have at least one perfectly normal bookcase for storing books?!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, aww, he's still around! I might give the first Hugo a revisit sometime. I remember the third game being kinda short and anti-climactic, though the jungle setting was novel. Can barely recall the second, think it had a Shining-esque hedge maze?

Forgotten most of the first's puzzle solutions, other than one kinda bullshit bit where the game actually gave me the solution (first time the "want a hint?" prompt popped up I accidentally dismissed it and said FUCK). Involved the background scenery, brr, never forgetting that.
CIT

Post by CIT »

People who don't understand the difference between strategy and tactics.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Downloading a game update that says it's for "minor text fixes"...and weighs in at almost a gig in size.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BulletMagnet wrote:Downloading a game update that says it's for "minor text fixes"...and weighs in at almost a gig in size.
Sometimes that just means they added support for a new language. Maybe. lol

So I just got SMR'ed. Bought a new HDD, ran CrystalDiskInfo, noticed it has TRIM support, did some Googling, yep it's a SMR drive with crappy write performance in certain situations. Arrrrrrgh. Thankfully Amazon was willing to give me a 20% partial refund. Still considering returning it outright. lol

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/06 ... t-garbage/
guigui

Post by guigui »

French 2020 mainstream music
Black guy, vocoder, lady, vocoder, no music, vocoder, love lyrics "I love you I love you I like to f*ck you" vocoder.

You also have French 2020 mainstream music
White guy, void african rhythm poum - ta poum - ta, no music, cannot sing, party lyrics "lets go party, lets go party, lets go party".

Oh, and also French 2020 mainstream music
Bearded guys try to sound serious, still no music, try to write intelligent lyrics but do not have 1/50th of the talent of real songwriter like Goldman or Brel .

Pfffffffff, and all teens now listen and dance to this shit all day. Am I getting old going to my 40th ? Was the music we used to listen in our teen that bad ? Is the situation the same in all countries or is it just France ?

EDIT : well maybe I was kind of being nervous. I guess there are some good shit produced here too :

Joy music : Jain : joy, joy, joy, dance, dance, dance, LSD movie

Sex music : Therapy Taxi : dirty movie, dirty song, nice band image look at those mustaches and really off clothes !

Live music : Gojira : Mario Duplantier machine-gun drumming, incredible stage energy and presence.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

You made me think maybe Gojira had a new album lol.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Not since Magma I guess. But this Pol’and Rock concert is a must watch for any fan. Live DVD quality material.
I guess/fear some effects are used on Joe’s voice though, never heard him sing that right in all range used.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

People making small talk about my dog getting old and dying.

I'm still shocked how often it happens.

"Howyadoin? Some weather, huh? Oh look, your dog has a grey chin. How old is he? Really? HOW LONG DOES THAT BREED LIVE FOR? DO YOU THINK YOUR DOG IS ABOUT TO DIE? YOUR DOG IS GOING TO DIE! YOUR DOG IS GOING TO... why did they just walk away? How rude!"
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Steamflogger Boss

WelshMegalodon wrote:The demand for low-spec, overpriced emulation handhelds.
Just saw this. I know a couple guys addicted to this trash. One is never happy with them, but ignores warnings...
Mischief Maker wrote:People making small talk about my dog getting old and dying.

"Howyadoin? Some weather, huh? Oh look, your dog has a grey chin. How old is he? Really? HOW LONG DOES THAT BREED LIVE FOR? DO YOU THINK YOUR DOG IS ABOUT TO DIE? YOUR DOG IS GOING TO DIE! YOUR DOG IS GOING TO... why did they just walk away? How rude!"
What is wrong with people???!
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:People making small talk about my dog getting old and dying.

What is wrong with people???!
I exaggerate. They mean well but it's just funny that the synapses never fire to say, "oh wait, this is probably an unpleasant topic of conversation at best.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Steamflogger Boss

Yeah as someone that has had many well loved cats and dogs over the years, it seems like a subject best avoided especially with a stranger. One of my friends recently had to deal with the passing of their long time family dog. It was obvious the dog was struggling, but I only talked about it when he brought it up first.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

My feeling is that this comes from people's own fear of death.
I think it makes people feel uncomfortable to see animals get old because it makes them think about it happening to people (and to themselves).
Those people, the ones who are saying rude shit to you about your dog, are probably really out of touch with themselves and their own feelings of mortality.

With death especially, there is a fundamental fear that lurks in all of us that we must choose to either confront or ignore. Experience tells us that ignoring our
subconscious tends to lead to odd behavior quirks. Like saying rude shit about people's aging pets.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

How the XBox 360 is designed to handle and store software updates for games. Instead of game updates overwriting the base files of the game, or being applied as separate patch files visible in each game's file listing which games are programmed to check for on startup (tied to the console, purchaser account, etc), all updates for games are stored in a nebulous "cache".

This becomes a major issue if anything goes wrong as several troubleshooting guides for issues recommend clearing the system cache as one of the steps, which means all your games lose their update patches. My account current will not sign in to XBox Live correctly aside from getting an error code, one that none of the troubleshooting guides I've followed to try and fix it have resolved. I now have a console that's lost all of its updates, and still can't sign in to get future updates or access XBox Live correctly. My only hope now is to try and get a phone call from Microsoft directly, as I suspect the issue is tied to some back-end issue with my profile such as corruption or something I can't resolve myself by simply changing my password or sign-in security.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:How the XBox 360 is designed to handle and store software updates for games. Instead of game updates overwriting the base files of the game, or being applied as separate patch files visible in each game's file listing which games are programmed to check for on startup (tied to the console, purchaser account, etc), all updates for games are stored in a nebulous "cache".
This is how all consoles work with updates and DLC. Only PCs overwrite the base files.

You should see how comically over-engineered the PS3's updates are. lol
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Udderdude wrote:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:How the XBox 360 is designed to handle and store software updates for games. Instead of game updates overwriting the base files of the game, or being applied as separate patch files visible in each game's file listing which games are programmed to check for on startup (tied to the console, purchaser account, etc), all updates for games are stored in a nebulous "cache".
This is how all consoles work with updates and DLC. Only PCs overwrite the base files.
Not sure about PS3, but PS4, Switch, 3DS, and WiiU don't have a limited update cache like 360. Not sure how XB1 handles updates, but I can't think of any recent system that deletes update files after a small number of updates, regardless of how much storage space is left.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

At least X360 patches rarely take up more than a few megabytes. Compared to the same patch for the same game on the contemporary PS3 taking up several gigabytes, due to their horrible system requiring basically every game file to be replaced >_>
AZA

Post by AZA »

people that think shmups are boring and "un-engaging" "all you do is fly around and shoot stuff! they are all the same!"

this same person claims that Deep Blue is an "interesting" game :oops:
Steamflogger Boss

AZA wrote:people that think shmups are boring and "un-engaging" "all you do is fly around and shoot stuff! they are all the same!"

this same person claims that Deep Blue is an "interesting" game :oops:
Honestly some people are just not worth continuing relationships with. :twisted:
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I hate narrators in movies and television.

It's a moving image, not a radio serial. Use the media properly!

Don't tell me, show me.
We apologise for the inconvenience
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

orange808 wrote:I hate narrators in movies and television.
I can definitely think of *many* tv/movie narration that is annoying AF, but I think can be done right.

Like the narration of the different characters in "Chungking Express." It's all tied together so beautifully and synchronized with montage in a way that evokes poetry.

It's very hard to use well though. Should be saved for those with advanced technique.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like William Conrad's narration, especially on Rocky & Bullwinkle. Ted Knight's narration is entertaining in a so bad it's good kind of way. It's hard to take seriously when it sounds so much like his bumbling newscaster, Ted Baxter, on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.