What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by BIL »

vol.2 wrote:
BIL wrote: Anyhoo, been trying out Ace Frehley's solo stuff.
His one of the solo albums is the only really good one. It's clear he had something to say outside of Kiss as a performance troop.
80's KISS is okay, but I can't really bother when there are better things to listen to. I will *always* be a die-hard fan of Hotter Than Hell. I think it's one of the best "HARD ROCK" albums of the 70's and is criminally underrated in general.
Love HTH, their early stuff has a contempory Stones-esque ease I'm instantly at home with... I ignored 'em for a long time, thinking they were more of a T-Rex/Sweet 70s glam outfit, but this is just good rootsy rock music. "Goin' Blind" is a beaut.

Definitely gotta be choosy with 80s KISS, tons of Leppardesque guff in there. All big singalong choruses, no guts. To a lesser extent, I feel the same about 80s Ramones, and late-80s Motorhead and Priest. You can find the odd killer track - ANIMAL BOY stomps heads - but the signal/noise ratio of their 70s prime (and in Motorhead/Priest's case, their post-80s renaissances) is practically reversed.
FinalBaton wrote:So I listened to Heavy Anthem. Looks like Graham singing, eh? I had misunderstood his stint, I thought he had re-recorded several full albums with them, sort of a parralel Anthem band timeline. So I was quite confused when I heard this album.

That guy can really sing up a storm, eh? holy fuck... no head voice, no falsetto even, just full voice all the way up his register in it's glass shatering, mountain flatenning power. damn impressive...

It was a good listen. production wasn't terribly dissimilar to the OG recordings, and I thought Graham provided good english versions of those songs. As far as ''best of'' type deals go, this is one of the more interesting ones out there, ti be sure, due to this twist. and inspired rendition.
Gave the full record a blast this evening - only track I think doesn't match the original, at minimum, is Blinded Pain. Feels like he took the opposite approach from the other songs, and held too much back - I can't imagine Morikawa's fuller Last Anthem rendition is at all out of his range.

Otherwise though, it's like a SUPERHARD Greatest Hits set. Especially fond of its absolutely barraging EVIL TOUCH, and Midnight Sun, a track that distinctly gains from the extra muscle, with its midtempo death-march and ominous imagery. They nail LOVE IN VAIN too - Bonnet tends to colour his vocals more broadly than Eizo and Morikawa, which sometimes sacrifices detail - Hunting Time comes to mind - but it works a treat here. Sounds like he's belting a lost track off Rainbow's Down to Earth.

Could call it LOUD WHITE DUDE LABEL, but the whole band sounds like they've been hitting the weights. :lol:

Gave Gypsy Ways its long-overdue listen, LEGAL KILLING is indeed fuckin rad. :cool: I love how it just slams the listener headlong into that hammering, barely-controlled riff... FIYAH Image Image
Last edited by BIL on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote: Love HTH, their early stuff has a contempory Stones-esque ease to it... I ignored 'em for a long time, thinking they were more of a T-Rex/Sweet 70s glam outfit, but this is just good rootsy rock music.
I would argue that HTH goes beyond that. It's stripped back to Stooges level primitive instrumentation, but sped up enough to fit in with the late 70's. It's not exactly proto-punk (too conventional), but it's damn close to being it with all of it's weird touches. I would put it right alongside Cheap Trick's first LP in that respect.

Going Blind is a really weird track. So weird.

- I can't imagine Morikawa's fuller Last Anthem rendition is at all out of his range.
Tightrope came up for me in the sidebar. Damn that's solid. The cover made me laugh my drink out of my nose, but it's a great album.
BIL

Post by BIL »

vol.2 wrote:I would argue that HTH goes beyond that. It's stripped back to Stooges level primitive instrumentation, but sped up enough to fit in with the late 70's. It's not exactly proto-punk (too conventional), but it's damn close to being it with all of it's weird touches. I would put it right alongside Cheap Trick's first LP in that respect.

Going Blind is a really weird track. So weird.
Goin' Blind in particular reminds me of The Saints and Johnny Thunders - that sort of ostensible early punk that's largely just soulful, unvarnished rock n' roll, with the seventies' accumulated gunk sandblasted off.

KISS are an audibly more "serious," polished unit, with Gene/Paul's work ethic and Ace's talents giving them a leg up, but I get the same liberated feel from their early records.

Speaking of early 90s alterna-shite from a few pages back (Hootie & The Blowfish imma kill you*), the era's other great crime was telling the youth that the seventies were all about cheesy excess. I was fortunate to have archetypal "rock uncles" who made sure I got my Sabbath, Zep, Deep Purple and Priest essentials, plus a good bit of Motorhead and Ramones, but holy fuck, you might've thought it was AOR all the way down. Then the early 00s roll around, aaand "hey, kids! check out the authentic new sounds of The Strokes and The Vines and ("definitive article" ad nauseams)

Not to go all "BORN IN WRONG GENERATION MAAAN," I think 90s kids with proper guidance had it pretty good. Image
BIL wrote:I can't imagine Morikawa's fuller Last Anthem rendition is at all out of his range.
Tightrope came up for me in the sidebar. Damn that's solid. The cover made me laugh my drink out of my nose, but it's a great album.
Aww yeah, another of their choice "wake the fuck up!" records. DANCING ON THE BRADE Image

"Problem, officer?"

Sadly this isn't actually theirs, just a soundtrack tie-in (HENTAI KAMEN apparently), but I'll always treasure it. :mrgreen:

*in truth, I don't think Hootie, Blues Traveller, Dave Matthews etc are the worst music, but my god, where I grew up "stranglehold" doesn't begin to describe their radio presence.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:
Goin' Blind in particular reminds me of The Saints and Johnny Thunders - that sort of ostensible early punk that's largely just soulful, unvarnished rock n' roll, with the seventies' accumulated gunk sandblasted off.
Love the Saints! I have that one album of theirs, (I'm) Stranded. Fantastic time. I'm a fan of NY Dolls, but I haven't yet really given much time to the solo Thunders stuff. I have a friend who's really into it and I heard some. Apparently, people who like Johnny T also tend to really dig The Swell Maps and Nikki Sudden. So you might get into that jive if you haven't already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUp1WFTgkzU
KISS are an audibly more "serious," polished unit, with Gene/Paul's work ethic and Ace's talents giving them a leg up, but I get the same liberated feel from their early records.
Yeah, I agree. KISS was a polished band. I think that's one of the reasons why I like HTH. It's produced less slickly than later KISS, but it's more developed that the first KISS record and the songs are more memorable. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate polished when it's done correctly and with the right kind of band. KISS is a basic HARD ROCK unit which is tight and occasionally technically impressive. They are not a progressive unit or a METAL band that benefits from clean production. They need a little bit of that analogue dirt in there and some of that phat tape reel-to-reel playback to really push their material to the correct aesthetic. Fortunately, the early 70's recording studio was standard with what works for them.

Speaking of early 90s alterna-shite from a few pages back (Hootie & The Blowfish imma kill you*), the era's other great crime was telling the youth that the seventies were all about cheesy excess. I was fortunate to have archetypal "rock uncles" who made sure I got my Sabbath, Zep, Deep Purple and Priest essentials, plus a good bit of Motorhead and Ramones, but holy fuck, you might've thought it was AOR all the way down. Then the early 00s roll around, aaand "hey, kids! check out the authentic new sounds of The Strokes and The Vines and ("definitive article" ad nauseams)
I think it really began with the punk rock movement. The 80's metal scene was the last gasp of 70's rock idioms in the US. The burgeoning "alt" rock scene was overtaken by corporate interests in about 1993-94 in the US. That's when we had all the local alt rock radio stations outright purchased by big companies that all got bought by clearchannel eventually (Rupert Murdoch if you don't already know). I think the corporate coop of Alt rock was official when the theme song to "Friends" was a top ten hit on those stations. That's the death knell in my eyes. IAC, the music corporations had to create an US VS THEM 70's rock VS "SHINY NEW ALT ROCK" to give people an artificial reason to reject the old and buy new stuff.

From the non-corporate side of things, we still had "indy rock" and those bands admired good 70's bands like KISS and Cheap Trick, etc. For example Superchunk plugged KISS:

And lots of other bands like that did the same thing. REM famously had NRBQ on their tours in the mid 90's and they would sit in the audience for the sets to bring them fans. Nirvana plugged the shit out of 70's and early 80's rock. Their whole sound was an amalgam of "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere" and "The Man Who Sold the World" filtered through late 80's college rock lofi. The overtly plugged David Bowie and The Vaselines, etc, etc, etc.

Not to go all "BORN IN WRONG GENERATION MAAAN," I think 90s kids with proper guidance had it pretty good. Image
For sure. I remember when the strokes album came out and people were like "rock is cool again" and it was weird. I think having the right people around to at least guide your buying choices is crucial. It's easy to get lost in a sea of music when you have no real connection to anything. I can't even imagine what my association to music would be had I not spent so much time hanging out in record stores throughout my life.

I guess I should throw this in the ring b/c it's basically how I felt in the early 2000s (and also because I rarely miss a chance at self-deprecation).

Sadly this isn't actually theirs, just a soundtrack tie-in (HENTAI KAMEN apparently), but I'll always treasure it. :mrgreen:
hahahaha. that is priceless.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Cheap Trick are so great(and Bun E. Carlos BEAST drummer), and so are Superchunk (I rarely see people mention them. sooooo good. I got so much love for them and praise their gospel to whomever want to hear it)

I don't like KISS personnally.

This Johhy Thunders album (this mix in particular, which is different on cassette than it is on LP and CD) is a fucking banger and I consider it mandatory punk listen :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYNM6_O3MjU
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Anyone that covers I'll Be Your Sister is good peeps in my book. Image Criminally undersung blues-rock banger.

LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER, god tier. Image Indeed, get the cassette mix (or the lovingly restored Definitive Edition). They might've been a killer live unit, but they didn't know WTF they were doing in the studio - either the cassette or Definitive versions fix everything up, gives the snarl and oomph back. Their "Chinese Rocks" kills the Ramones' version, and it's far from the best tune on there IMO ("I Wanna Be Loved," "Going Steady," "Let Go," actually I'm gonna end up naming the whole record... "Baby Talk," "All By Myself...")

Its live companion DOWN TO KILL is worth checking out too, even if (especially if?) a good chunk is just the band arguing with the crowd. :lol:

Fuck! Totally forgot to mention It's Not Enough in the Stonesy rock ballad stakes. Truly lyrical soloing. Shame Thunders was as heroin-wracked as he was talented, poor bastard barely made the 90s.
vol.2 wrote:Love the Saints! I have that one album of theirs, (I'm) Stranded. Fantastic time. I'm a fan of NY Dolls, but I haven't yet really given much time to the solo Thunders stuff. I have a friend who's really into it and I heard some. Apparently, people who like Johnny T also tend to really dig The Swell Maps and Nikki Sudden. So you might get into that jive if you haven't already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUp1WFTgkzU
Nice, thanks! I'm waiting until the weekend when I can really blast my speakers to try out BANG, will cue this up right after it. :cool:

(I'm) Stranded really surprised me... I was expecting Pistols (just about functional pop-punk) but got Ramones (fuckin rock n' roll).
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

What a fuckin' album eh? This is the TRVE heir to Chuck Berry, Little Richards and Howlin' Wolf. The energy level is just insane, this album has it all. Making the masters proud.

(gotta mention that I'll Be Your Sister is one of my very good friend, and drummer, 's favourite Motorhead track. In his top 5 for sure, he loves that tune. Along with Sacrifice (damn that ride pattern Mikey Dee is hitting, OOOMPH). these 2 have been played by us on bar jukeboxes many times )
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Besides being musically an end-to-end killer, the atmosphere on LAMF is an entity unto itself... the "YEAH!" as "All By Myself" roars into gear, the progressively more grinding fret noise in "I Wanna Be Loved"'s riff, the distracted "Was that alright?" that signs 'em off... particularly for a band with all of one studio record, it leaves a filmic impression of barely-containable rock n' roll. It's one of heavy guitar music's happiest recoveries that the masters weren't lost in the smack vortex that bequeathed it.

Ah, Sacrifice. Image the epitome of

Well no, more than half the record is pretty goddamn quick, that jackhammer title track most of all ("WHY DO THEY NOT BELIEVE?!"). But it has one of their most staggeringly HEAVY numbers in Order / Fade To Black. Between those frantic gunning sprints (matched perfectly by the nightmarish narrative blur), you can practically hear the gears grinding. It's a fuckin dog-ugly, aggressively offputting song, but little else beats it when the mood strikes.

One of the great shmuppin as fuck lines in slow-building tribal death roar Make 'Em Blind - NO ALIEN UTOPIA WILL LONG SURVIVE OUR BRAVERY Image Image Come to think of it, some of his best rocker veteran lyrics on In Another Time, as well.

Cold, in the arms of the dead
I still hear them talk
Telling jokes in my head
Last edited by BIL on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah Sacrifice record is real heavy. It's one of my fave by the band full stop. What a fucking kick in the teeth of a '90s comeback of sorts.

Lemmy be like ''Fuck this. That flannel bedecked self-loathin' sappy fuck ain't gonna get us forgotten aboutImage''

LAMF is so stacked. One bit in particular I admire is how Pirate Love clearly inspired a thousand neo-garage outfits. And I'm not just talking 00's revival. But '90s garage punkers too. Stuff like the Ripoffs, or The Sexareenos. stuff that feeds on The Sonics too I guess, which Johhy T. probs liked too. But I feel he went more to the source of '50s rock ' roll. as evident by old timey numbers like It's Not Enough.

It's got nice variety too.

''barely-containable rock n' roll''
, that's a good way to put it
Last edited by FinalBaton on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote:Cheap Trick are so great(and Bun E. Carlos BEAST drummer), and so are Superchunk (I rarely see people mention them. sooooo good. I got so much love for them and praise their gospel to whomever want to hear it)
I was lucky enough to see superchunk live a few times in the 90's, first at lollapalooza in 1993. Very worth seeing live, and they do still tour.
BIL wrote: Ah, Sacrifice. Image the epitome of
I was thinking about this p hard yesterday. Listening to Black Rose by Thin Lizzy. Phil Lynott brought many things with him from the slums of dublin, including a monster heroine addiction. You can hear him just about to let go and give up all throughout the Black Rose. It's fucking heart-breaking, but the man sacrificed himself to the R'n'R gods.

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

vol.2 wrote:I was lucky enough to see superchunk live a few times in the 90's, first at lollapalooza in 1993. Very worth seeing live, and they do still tour.
Oh fuck! so jealous that you saw Superchunk (many times to boot)

You guys make me wanna brush up on my Lizzy. Saw a live the other day on YT and I really dug it. First impressions is I thought Phil was charismatic as all hell. but he looked tired (closed to his death so I guess heroin took a toll at this point). Really great compositions and tone and playing. Lots of heart. That guitarist, who ended up in Whitesnake, is a beast too.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

vol.2 wrote:I was thinking about this p hard yesterday. Listening to Black Rose by Thin Lizzy. Phil Lynott brought many things with him from the slums of dublin, including a monster heroine addiction. You can hear him just about to let go and give up all throughout the Black Rose. It's fucking heart-breaking, but the man sacrificed himself to the R'n'R gods.
I was remarking to Baton a while back, re Live And Dangerous, I was stunned to be reminded that he was only 36. No doubt one of the casualties in Lemmy's reminisces. Image

Dr. Lem... besides his superhuman tolerance for booze and crank, he knew that fuckin horse is rockstar kryptonite. Unless you are Keef Richards obviously. Then it's embalming fluid.
FinalBaton wrote:stuff that feeds on The Sonics too I guess, which Johhy T. probs liked too. But I feel he went more to the source of '50s rock ' roll. as evident by old timey numbers like It's Not Enough.
He and Patti Paladin's covers record Copy Cats has some great 50s/60s stuff, I really dig their I Was Born To Cry.

I ONCE HAD A FRIEND YEAH, HE KICKED OUT MAH TEEF Image

These fuckin guys, man. Definition of "Not fade away." Image Gone to ashes by their 30s, lionised ever after. Can't have the rainbow without the rain (ta Ms. Parton!) I guess.

There's a great Judas Priest song for just this occasion. Image
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote: You guys make me wanna brush up on my Lizzy.
To me, TL is amazing, but I will say they are not straightforward to get into as a band. They started in the late 60's/early 70's time when early Zep was the target for many a burgeoning unit, but Lynott had a penchant for trad celtic music which largely informed their early output. The first three albums vacillate between pho-zep rock and musical experiments to mix hard rock with celtic music, some more successful than others.

Then they had to either stand still or evolve into the new musical landscape of the 1970s. Gary Moore joined them and then left in the mid 1970's when they put out Nightlife, a transitional album that was produced as an R&B record against their will. Only the track "Still in Love With You," recorded with Gary Moore on guitar before the rest of the album really stands out.

They then successfully ditched the softer persona and released a string of killer hard rock albums at the end of the 1970's, eventually regaining Moore as a semi-permanent member. An important point about TL is that they were one the seminal "twin lead guitar" bands of the 70's. Much like 70's priest, they wielded the dualing lead guitars as an effective weapon.

My first album was Jailbreak. It's really, really, really hard to go wrong with.
Image Image

That guitarist, who ended up in Whitesnake, is a beast too.
A number of great musicians made their way in and out of TL. As Phil was a bass player, he kept a pretty sick lineup of guitarists at hand.

BIL wrote: Image
Man, that's so simultaneously amazing and sad. Poor bastard never stood a chance.

There's a great Judas Priest song for just this occasion. Image
a brÜtal slice.
Last edited by vol.2 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

That Jailbreak sleeve art, so fuckin rad Image Spirit of a Taito attract mode.

**** RED ALERT ****
_ JAILBREAK! _
Last edited by BIL on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks for the TL writeup, that'll be helpful. Alongside BIL's awhile back
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Was gonna say, huge thanks from me too - Live & Dangerous is my only real reference point, I cling to it like driftwood - or rather, a MIGHTY DREADNOUGHT Image :mrgreen:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:That Jailbreak sleeve art, so fuckin rad Image Spirit of a Taito attract mode.
It's actually a die-cut gatefold. Updated original post with interior pic.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

The Rockers Soundtrack. It's a bit of a time travel album for me from a specific moment of my past, but it's such a warm feel-good record; not a bad thing to have around these days. (or any days)

The whole thing is fantastic, but it's worth noting Keith Richards (of the stones) was present on the track Stepping Razor. (he was spending a lot of time in Jamaica around then)

versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

versionfiv wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLG1ys2CGcI
Arthur brown - fire
thank you, I'd never heard that full original version. 1968! What a time!

this is more my speed lately
Jun Fukamachi – Nicole ('86 Spring And Summer Collection - Instrumental Images)
https://youtu.be/aVwvRicVu84
First I've heard that too. Apparently Fukamachi received some recognition and press in recent years along with a re-issue of this album
"synthetic ’80s sci-fi and tear-soaked piano ballads" sure, I'll go along with that. Reminds me also of Synthesizer Fantasy stuff, Jan Hammer, and Wally Badarou in a way.
system11

Post by system11 »

I managed to get hold of a Japanese release of Going To Hell by The Pretty Reckless, good album and only the Japanese version has an extra track called "Kill Me" which is firstly awesome, and secondly was intended to be on the album, no idea why it was cut.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I don't know what I'm in the mood for so

https://mattcreameraudio.bandcamp.com/album/anomaly
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Overexposed.

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spooky Two is one the greatest late 60's hard rock albums period. Earth-shatteringly heavy. Produced by Jimmy Miller at about the same time he produced Let it Bleed for the Stones.

Good stuff.

Of course, they turned into Foreigner, sort of. That and the singer did "Dream Weaver" in the late 70s. But I actually like that crap too, so whatever.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Sea Shanties album by High Tide ensemble packs enormous punch for the year 1969, too. Although I can imagine someone disliking its depressive mood.
The way out is cut off

Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Ajora

Post by Ajora »

There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Fuckin' THRaKaTTaK by King Crimson. Here's a bunch of middle-aged white males melting your brains down with their music, deal with it.
P.S. They can be pretty fucking NASTY, sometimes, do be warned.
The way out is cut off

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Been in an obscure minimal synth pop from the 70's mood all day.

The original Human League single, Being Boiled:
Spoiler
Last edited by vol.2 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

a great synthpop single that is. love their early stuff
-FM Synth & Black Metal-