Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
To Far Away Times

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by To Far Away Times »

copy-paster wrote:Is there a way to stop being anxious during full run attempt?
Over-practice first. Know everything about the levels inside and out through save state practice. Then just stitch it together.

I usually don't get anxious now unless I have more resources than usual, and usually only in the last five minutes of the run.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

copy-paster wrote:Is there a way to stop being anxious during full run attempt?
Have a cigarette before your run. I'm totally serious here, a lot of my best runs come when I'm smoking because it puts me in a focused but also highly relaxed state of mind. Just don't go chain smoking or anything; I don't smoke to play shmups, rather I play shmups to enjoy my cigarette.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I've been working a bit on Lords of Thunder.

- What's your preferred starting level and armor?
- Do you change armor per-level a lot, or is there a go-to "favorite" that works best across most/all levels?
- It feels like "Power" is the best thing to invest in early on. Is that correct?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

- What's your preferred starting level and armor?
I start with Cielom (bottom left), then Dezant (top left), Bosque (bottom right), Helado (bottom), Llmarada (right) and last Auzal (top). It honestly hardly matters. You'll max out your power and life bar within any stage you play first. My reason for Cielom is that it has a very nice flow and you don't require multiple bombs (which you don't have at this point).
- Do you change armor per-level a lot, or is there a go-to "favorite" that works best across most/all levels?
Water for all stages except the last boss. Here Fire or earth. Fire is considerably stronger than Water (regular fire shot has the power of the sword attack with Water), but then again Water is really relaxing, since you basically cover the whole screen with your shots anyway. On the boss you need fire or earth to kill the 2nd phase with a single bomb and the stronger attack level makes the 3rd phase a much quicker affair.
- It feels like "Power" is the best thing to invest in early on. Is that correct?
It gives you a slight boost at the very beginning of the first stage, but after that you'll be maxed out anyway, so all you really need is to restock on bombs and your shield (if you need it).

Buying the elixir (if needed, depending on your skills) is essential. You'll usually max out your credits (10,000) in the fifth stage, if make sure to buy the elixir before this point in the game or you you'll collect gems for nothing.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Thanks Fudoh! I am now just cruising through the game. I'm probably a day or two away from a 1CC, but this feels very much within reach.
dark

Post by dark »

Is there any artwork that shows a closeup of the ship you pilot in Karous? i find it hard to visualize what the craft is supposed to look like just from the top down view, and it is kind of eclectic. I take it that it is some sort of crow mech.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

I've heard the the Saturn port of Shienryu saves scores. I can't seem to get that work. Does it work for you guys? FWIW I did change the battery and my other games save scores like they're supposed to.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I just checked mine, and yeah all my previous scores are there. Is it possible there is a setting you're setting that is making it not record high scores?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Are there any differences between the 1P and 2P ships in Radiant Silvergun?
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

ACSeraph wrote:Are there any differences between the 1P and 2P ships in Radiant Silvergun?
Nope, they're identical. No weird little differences in speed, hitbox size, weapon damage or scoring.
Lord British wrote:I've heard the the Saturn port of Shienryu saves scores. I can't seem to get that work. Does it work for you guys? FWIW I did change the battery and my other games save scores like they're supposed to.
Check the system memory manager. Is a save file being created?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Is Shienryu's option menu in Japanese? Some games require a manual save, if I remember correctly.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Saturn's internal memory is pretty tiny. Maybe it's just full and doesn't have room for the save file?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Is there a specific name for the type of STG's like Thunder Force, Gley Lancer, Phalanx, and Whip Rush?
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I don't think so. Console-Exclusive Horizontals? Consolzontals?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I personally tend to think of those sorts of games as "Blast-em-Ups", though that term technically refers to any shmup that lacks a noteworthy scoring system, as opposed to any overarching "style" beyond that.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Anyone got recommendations for "best" companions to pick in Air Zonk? I just started working on it, and I'm not sure if I should be swapping each stage or if there's one that's just known to be the best.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jonpachi wrote:Saturn's internal memory is pretty tiny. Maybe it's just full and doesn't have room for the save file?
yeah, I definitely recommend an official JP power memory cartridge for a JP system since they are usually cheaper, though it's not recommend for use along with a Action Reply since power swapping is not good for the cart slot. It might also be best to wait for the shipping situation to clear up before ordering one. The official power memory cards are compatible with all region systems and are essential for games with larger saves. I doubt Shienryu's save would be very large, though.
Bawa

Post by Bawa »

Can anyone please help me with a Mushihimesama 1.0 Maniac quick question:

Best way to deal with these damned bugs?
Spoiler
They are turning out to be the biggest road blocker for me. I can get to stage4 with 4 or 5 life consistently but I always get kinda screwed by these bugs.

Specifically when there's a lot of them right before the midboss.
I suck at these games but I do enjoy them.
Platforms: PC / NSwitch
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Bawa wrote:Can anyone please help me with a Mushihimesama 1.0 Maniac quick question:

Spoiler
They are turning out to be the biggest road blocker for me. I can get to stage4 with 4 or 5 life consistently but I always get kinda screwed by these bugs.

Those enemies predominantly fire a tap pattern but when you get assault by 4 of them, there's a great potential for getting crossed up. The simplest solution is just bomb. The midboss is where you can rapidly increase your main hit counter so don't worry about any minor score counter loss at those large beetles.
Bawa

Post by Bawa »

Kiken wrote:
Bawa wrote:Can anyone please help me with a Mushihimesama 1.0 Maniac quick question:

Spoiler

Those enemies predominantly fire a tap pattern but when you get assault by 4 of them, there's a great potential for getting crossed up. The simplest solution is just bomb. The midboss is where you can rapidly increase your main hit counter so don't worry about any minor score counter loss at those large beetles.
Thanks! I tried some tap dodging and it went better than my other attempts. Guess I'll stick to bombing!
Mero

Post by Mero »

Is Spriggan supposed to get stuck at the end of the credits after you've cleared it?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Mero wrote:Is Spriggan supposed to get stuck at the end of the credits after you've cleared it?
Yeah, a lot of games on the PC Engine seem to do that (force a console reset at the end). If I remember right, Spriggan also removes your score from the screen as soon as the final boss dies, which makes it such a chore to get a screenshot of your personal best.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Jonpachi wrote:
Mero wrote:Is Spriggan supposed to get stuck at the end of the credits after you've cleared it?
Yeah, a lot of games on the PC Engine seem to do that (force a console reset at the end). If I remember right, Spriggan also removes your score from the screen as soon as the final boss dies, which makes it such a chore to get a screenshot of your personal best.
I checked earlier on and it did manage to save my score in the options screen even though I'd had to exit out of the game, this is on PCE Mini though.

Incidentally I cleared Ys I&II today and that does the same thing, had to close it down.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Chronological order of some of Astro Port's games? I already know Satazius, Steel Strider, and Zangeki Warp all take place in the same universe. I think Satazius takes place before Steel Strider and Steel Strider takes place after Satazius, since the villain of Steel Strider, Admiral Hiroko Nakaya, orchestrated the events of both games. She was responsible for the pirate takeover of the Agano from Satazius.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Why the hell is there no Tate mode for blast wind on the saturn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It was never, ever designed for TATE to begin with. That's the reason. Like asking "why doesn't Raiden V have TATE?"

Admittedly, the scrapped arcade version of Blast Wind may have been meant for tate but it was canceled long before they scooped up the bits and pieces of code/graphics to make the Saturn version. There's no way to know if it even would have had it - mind you that Twinbee Yahho, despite being a vertical game with a vertical resolution, apparently was designed for 4:3 monitors and cannot do TATE.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Yeah it’s just with the side boarder info write on the side would work perfect for Tate,i do wonder if the Tate was scrapped for some reason,great game but would be better if Tate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It still wouldn't fit if they did that, the game area is too wide (like Raiden V).
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Bawa

Post by Bawa »

I decided my next 1cc goal is going to be DDP DFK (since it's already on steam).
So, I'd like to ask some quick and dumb questions, if possible:

1. Considering this is my first DDP game, should I start with Novice or go straight to normal? When I started with mushi I got my Novice (Original and Maniac) clear before going for the normal clears.
2. For survival purposes, I take it that B-Strong or C-Strong are the best ships?
3. What's the difficulty curve of the modes, from a easiest to hardest?

My initial plan was to 1-all normal and then move to other modes/loops/etc.

Thank you in advance!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Bawa wrote:I decided my next 1cc goal is going to be DDP DFK (since it's already on steam).
So, I'd like to ask some quick and dumb questions, if possible:

1. Considering this is my first DDP game, should I start with Novice or go straight to normal? When I started with mushi I got my Novice (Original and Maniac) clear before going for the normal clears.
2. For survival purposes, I take it that B-Strong or C-Strong are the best ships?
3. What's the difficulty curve of the modes, from a easiest to hardest?

My initial plan was to 1-all normal and then move to other modes/loops/etc.

Thank you in advance!
DFK is definitely the most approachable DDP game. It's very much a "as hard as you want it to be" sort of game. Played purely for survival, it's one of Cave's easiest games. Played for score, it becomes much more challenging. I think you'd be fine to start on Normal.