Fighting Game Hype Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
brokenhalo

Re: Fighting Game Hype Thread

Post by brokenhalo »

BurlyHeart wrote:
brokenhalo wrote:MvC2 back at EVO this year. I didn't bother watching any EVO last year, but this will bring me back. Sure, it'll be a bunch of MSP/MSCc/MSC/MSS teams, but Marvels so hype I won't even mind. I imagine that we'll get an MVC4 announcement there as well.
I'm hoping for MvC2 remaster :mrgreen:
I've been saying for years now, I wish Capcom would make MVC2:2 and SF3:4. It would be fairly easy money, compared to making a new game from scratch. MVC2:2, buff low and mid tier up so that more characters are stupid broken/viable, add a few new characters and stages and then build a vault to store all the money that will come rolling in. If they really want to go all in, get the folks that redrew all the sprites for the HD third strike port to come in and really bring it up to date.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I would say just rerelease MVC2 with ggpo on a modern console or pc.

Mvc2 is magic. Nobody can comprehend it. It's like some eldritch god...one does not simply buff/nerf things. The whole game is insane down to its core, and that's why it's so good. I wouldn't expect a rebalance would work out.

If you want Mvc2: Balanced Edition though, Skullgirls is as close as you can possibly get imo.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

brokenhalo wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:
brokenhalo wrote:MvC2 back at EVO this year. I didn't bother watching any EVO last year, but this will bring me back. Sure, it'll be a bunch of MSP/MSCc/MSC/MSS teams, but Marvels so hype I won't even mind. I imagine that we'll get an MVC4 announcement there as well.
I'm hoping for MvC2 remaster :mrgreen:
I've been saying for years now, I wish Capcom would make MVC2:2 and SF3:4. It would be fairly easy money, compared to making a new game from scratch. MVC2:2, buff low and mid tier up so that more characters are stupid broken/viable, add a few new characters and stages and then build a vault to store all the money that will come rolling in. If they really want to go all in, get the folks that redrew all the sprites for the HD third strike port to come in and really bring it up to date.
They would have to deal with the whole license thing. I mean look at the X-Men characters not being in infinite. That said I'm not a huge fan of Marvel but I love to watch Marvel 2.

Gamers have said before Capcom should just focus on their own characters and forget about Marvel. It can be done and it can be great
BIL

Post by BIL »

Been enjoying Kotaka Shoten's masterful Guile (ST), as seen in he and Kurahashi (Ryu)'s FT15 at Daigo's recent Kemonomichi 3 event (which also featured T3-Kamui vs Garegga!). See also his FT10s versus Ito (DeeJay) @ Kemonomichi 2, and Aniken (Ken) at the inaugural event.

EDIT: And immediately after his KM2 set, Tanukana vs YuYu (Xiaoyu mirror) @ Tekken 7 was a nailbiter!

Headphones warnings for each and every one's introduction. Image
YoniArousement

Fighting Game Hype Thread

Post by YoniArousement »

We can only keep dreaming about Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Capcom vs. SNK 2 hitting modern consoles with online play. They should have been released on PC. Licensing issues are one of the reasons digital only is a bad idea. I miss the days of bring my Dreamcast to school and playing MvC2 with my friends.

Although I would like MvC2 to be more balanced, experienced players would simply dislike the balance changes like with Super Turbo HD Remix.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite... that game makes me question why it even exists in the first place besides feeling like an MCU ad. Capcom side of the roster was worse than Marvel's even with the lack of X-Men (which has been a staple in the series since X-Men: Children of the Atom) and Fantastic Four characters, presentation and official support were horrible. Way to alienate fans of the series besides the small niche who can get past those common complaints and appreciate it for its gameplay. I was not sold on MvCI.

I still have yet to play Capcom Fighting Jam (makes more sense than "Evolution" IMO), but from the looks of it some of the Aegis Reflector combos don't work in it and the character sprites look like they were simply taken from source games like Darkstalkers, Red Earth, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter III and even Capcom vs. SNK 2.
Squire Grooktook

Yo Granblue Versus is fucking tight. This is the grounded, oldschool footsies focused weapon based anime fighter I've wanted forever.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Yo Granblue Versus is fucking tight. This is the grounded, oldschool footsies focused weapon based anime fighter I've wanted forever.
Seriously? I've watched the game and it totally does not look interesting at all.
Wonders if there is a demo or something?
Squire Grooktook

What didn't you find interesting?

It's an oldschool footsies game. You're on the ground poking people and trying to open them up. No air dashes and shit, just ST* shit with some fun new ideas. If that's not appealing to you then definitely pass.

Spoiler
Actually I think a better comparison would be Karnov's Revenge.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Guilty Gear Strive closed beta codes have been emailed to folks and....I didn't get one.

Bummed out is an understatement. Played Rev2 almost daily for the past 6 years!
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Since I'm here browsing I've been wondering for the longest time but have no where else to ask.

Does anyone have experience playing Samurai Shodown V Special?

Has anyone played it on the Neo Geo MVS and the PSN port by Code Mystics?

I've been messing around back to back between the two both on the same CRT Monitor and the same Joystick.

It feels a tad different on the PS4 compared to the MVS. MVS feels a tad more responsive.

I'm not sure if its just me but I'm wondering how much input lag the PS4 version has. I feel a few frames less responsive.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Have you tried the Arcade Archives version? I can't speak for SSVS, but KOF '98, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3 and Shock Troopers feel indistinguishable from their MVS carts on a CRT to me (DS4 bluetooth VS hacked CMVS DS1... equally mediocre :lol:).

ACA KOF '98 was used for the Neo Geo World Tour to no apparent issue. There's no online or training mode, though. They're just straight emulations of the MVS cartridges. Good button config, and some nice scanline filters, though I don't use 'em. Too paranoid. :cool:

For perspective, I notice a bit of input lag in Metal Slug XX (PS4), to the point I've dropped it while waiting for a proper gaming monitor. Hoping it'll help but if not, I guess I'll have to look at getting a PSP.
Last edited by BIL on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

That's impressive knowing that the ACA version was used with no problems.

I only ask because the Limited Run release is the Code Mystics port. There is no physical version of the ACA release.

I'm really contemplating on buying the original MVS version or sticking with the physical Limited Run Release.

I've been really into MVS collecting these days and Samurai Shodown V Speical is a bit on the expensive side
BIL

Post by BIL »

Some interesting goings-on in the FGC lately. Image

Teh plot thickens Image

Even SMASH BRUVVERS is getting in on the poundmetoo craze! :o
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I guess OG actually means Ogle Gonads.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blimey, it's blowing up. :o You know what, I'm just gonna file the entire collective FGC under willy-touchers for now, and defer to the GG thread aka greatest thread of the universe. Image

I invite all to retire to some oldschool Korean Tekken beef. Image
Nin wrote:There were a few times when that happened. But, I've never sent anyone to the hospital and there were always reasons for it.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Any KOF guys here? I'm trying to beat out my buddies at kof13.. and I find claw Iori quite hard to play.
Well, it's all hard to play really.

Edit: I'm so bad lmao i can't even do Iori's first trial. specifically i can't combo LP>HP
Editt: i mean i did it but feel like it was a fluke.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

The KoF 13 Trails are infamous for bein incredibly hard. The true links you have to get forces really strict timing. Better try out the BnB combos like the ones mentioned here:
https://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ori_Yagami

Claw Iori is really strong and not so hard to play, if you manage to get in ;)
But KoFXIII is a great game. Possibly the best 2D Fighter.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah struggling to get in on my fan-spamming Mai buddy haha.

thanks bruh!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Dr. Claw

Post by Dr. Claw »

Shelcoof wrote: They would have to deal with the whole license thing. I mean look at the X-Men characters not being in infinite. That said I'm not a huge fan of Marvel but I love to watch Marvel 2.

Gamers have said before Capcom should just focus on their own characters and forget about Marvel. It can be done and it can be great
I actually agree with this stance.
Marvel x Capcom have always been on shaky ground due to the nature of licensing, but IMO no one but Capcom can or will make a better fighting game featuring those characters.

It's gotten worse with Disney ownership. You could tell in the MvC3 era with all the hand-holding prior to previous work, and what in retrospect seems like they made sure to include characters they were promoting, but by the time Infinite came around, the compromise was clear.

Going back to X-Men: COTA... Capcom showed they were more than capable. Including the voice actors from Marvel animated TV shows of the era was a genius touch. MSH, the Vs. Games were spectacular

Glad to have a Saturn to revisit those games, but I feel modern game players are being robbed of a great part of fighting game history. I mostly blame Disney, for how Infinite turned out.

That being said, Capcom not doing their own version of Neo Geo Battle Coliseum is a missed opportunity. And Jam/Evolution doesn't count. That's just Capcom making an "official" version of M.U.G.E.N.

A MvC1 style game with characters spanning franchises would be what the doctor ordered now.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

No word on whether that omnipresent Blanka toy will be going with him...
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

From what I understand, Ono was critical for SFIV being made... and I do think SFIV was a pretty decent game... but I really don't like the direction that Ono has taken the franchise, in general a sense. It's become a bit too kiddy for me... is that weird?

I know, I know: It's basically always been cartoon characters fighting one another. But I really liked the direction that SF3 started heading in. I recently got a PS4 and tried getting into SFV and the voice acting and aesthetics just made it feel a little too "Blizzard" or "Fortnite" for me, in that none of the characters were edgy in any way whatsoever; that they were designed, or redesigned, in subtle or overt ways, to appeal to the widest audience possible.

From a business perspective I understand that this makes sense... but from an artistic perspective I've found it really boring.

Rant rant rant... Sorry, I'm bored at work!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

End of an era. For reals. (As well as all the other crazy shit going on with Evo)

At least SF V is getting .. Dan? Yay? Well, there's Rose and Oro too, so that's kind of interesting. Oro was pretty mid tier in 3rd Strike, so it'll be interesting to see how he plays out here.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ajora

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R is getting rollback netcode

Post by Ajora »

This is wonderful news. I own XX Accent Core Plus for the PS2 and I'm looking forward to playing the updated version with proper netcode. The newer games don't appeal to me in the slightest, but I've always loved the Accent Core games. I wonder why the newer titles dropped Testament. Testament was always cool.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020/oct ... k-netcode/
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Apparently it's not alone.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

BulletMagnet wrote:Apparently it's not alone.
Funny - as soon as I saw Ajora's post my mind leapt to joking about the state of the KoF PC ports, but here we are. Hopefully 98UMFE will get it at some point as well especially since it's the only home release of that version.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

2002 UM is great, but 98 UMFE is even better.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

BulletMagnet wrote:Quiet on the set!
Annie of the Stars is coming! This definitely makes me want to go back to Skullgirls!
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Anybody else still playing Tekken 7? I was really into it at launch, then played it on and off the last few years. I think I'm having one of my "on" phases now, I actually just bought my first korean joystick (Crown 309mj), and holy shit it is way better for Tekken than the JLF. Kinda tires my hand out though.

I used to rock King, but now I'm trying to pick up Kazuya. Seems like a real simple to learn hard to master kind of character, and hey, go big or go home, right?
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I recently started playing Super Gem Fighter: Mini Mix online. It's incredibly underrated and I'm hopeful that the community will expand over time. It's extremely charming and is very well balanced. It took some time for me to wrap my head around the fact that there isn't any chip damage, but it actually works. Most of the characters have move sets that are predicated on zoning, even though rushdown strategies have greater applicability than zoning strategies. There's a lot of mind games always happening in regards to conditioning your opponent to open themselves up. Blessed game.