Dungeon crawler recomendations

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Herr Schatten

Re: Dungeon crawler recomendations

Post by Herr Schatten »

Vanguard wrote:Dragon Wars is an old first person western dungeon crawler. You'll need DOSbox to run it these days.
Ah, Dragon Wars, an old favourite of mine. I think I read somewhere that it was originally supposed to become the official The Bard's Tale IV, but legal issues demanded a re-naming. I think you can buy it for cheap over at GOG. My only issue with that is that it's the version with those ugly EGA colours. I would much prefer playing with the C64 graphics instead.

I haven't played a dungeon crawler in years. Back in the day I did enjoy Dungeon Master so much that I completed it. I started with Chaos Strikes Back, but lost interest quickly. Never played Dungeon Master II. I did play through the first Eye of the Beholder, but didn't like it as much as DM, even though AD&D used to be my favourite role playing system. Never touched the sequels or Lands of Lore, even though the latter looks interesting.

I've always been mildly interested in Warriors of the Eternal Sun, but heard that the difficulty curve is really uneven. Has anyone experience with Order of the Griffon, the sister-game on the PCE?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Ghegs wrote:
I managed to find a grand total of four screenshots and one gif of Call of the Empyrean here. It looks awesome, thanks for the heads-up.
Ah, sorry, I didn't realise it'd be tough! I'm sure they used to post updates about it quite frequently - maybe they want to keep a lid on it now...
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

It got a quick mention earlier in this thread, but Labyrinth of Refrain is currently $22 and imho pretty goddamn great. It begins being VERY Wizardry, but keeps adding cool, clever twists to the gameplay as it rolls on. It's also available on Switch (how I played it) and makes an excellent 'commuter RPG' opposed to something like Divinity where your looking at tiny character models and even tinier text, everything about Labyrinth of Refrain is large, clear, and plays well in 20 minute chunks.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Baroque looks super Shadow Tower- with the atmosfear.

what's going on with that switch trailer though, looks like some 3rd person combat moments?

Also my ears pricked up at Wizardry ps1 remakes..
..are they remakes of the OG series? :shock:

Ahh.. labyrinth of refrain has completely thrown me off with it's weeb-ass trailer and horrendous voice acting and just..
.. I dunno looks like Etrian Odyssey again.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Etrian Odyssey is the best. That better not be slander from you Burinju.
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

Forgot about the night and magic series, looks closest to what I'm after.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yes those Wizardry ps1 remakes look mighty tasty *insert BIL's frantic tongue emote here*

Think I read about these before on here last year, maybe from Welsh?
Anyway, it's great to see they got translated! did all of them get a translation? or just a couple
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Leader Bee wrote:Forgot about the night and magic series, looks closest to what I'm after.
I've played World of Xeen, the fan favorite Might and Magic games, and I can't really recommend them. There's no strategy and minimal puzzles. You run into a dungeon and you smash everything in your path and if you start start losing then you go back to town and literally gain 10+ levels all at once and come back and smash everything. Then you chug all the permanent stat up potions you found and you turn in the quest for 1 million experience points and you move on to the next dungeon. It's pretty addicting but there's no substance there. Now, if you specifically want to zone out and not think about anything while watching your numbers go up then Xeen is absolutely the game for you.

Played a little bit of Might and Magic 6 and while it's very different from Xeen, it's still mindless and repetitive. I've heard some people say the new one is good, that may be worth looking into.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The horrifying thing about Progress Quest, is that it's still pretty fun. With only a bit of an actual game strapped on, incremental games like Cookie Clicker (which I guess will technically be a dungeon crawler once dungeons are implemented) and so on are a legitimate genre of their own.

Honestly they're the purest form of classical jRPGs - all of the actual decisions remain, but all the grinding removed. You could call it... Progress.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

FinalBaton wrote:Yes those Wizardry ps1 remakes look mighty tasty *insert BIL's frantic tongue emote here*
Was Game Studio (founded by the creator of Xevious) involved with those? I know they did the NES and SNES ports.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:It got a quick mention earlier in this thread, but Labyrinth of Refrain is currently $22 and imho pretty goddamn great.
I'm gonna try this and report back.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Etrian Odyssey is the best. That better not be slander from you Burinju.
Etrian Odyssey was seen in the street pointing guns at ethnic minorities AND shooting them! in japan and america!
It also shot veterans and police, our boys!! No one is safe from this foe!
"Happy 4th of July" - some loli with a .45

I dug EO1, EO2 was less interesting to me but I tapped out at the post-game. I don't wanna go into it as Vanguard will be disappointed with me again :cry:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

FinalBaton wrote:Yes those Wizardry ps1 remakes look mighty tasty *insert BIL's frantic tongue emote here*

Think I read about these before on here last year, maybe from Welsh?
Anyway, it's great to see they got translated! did all of them get a translation? or just a couple
I'm not sure if they've been fan-translated - I'm playing the original discs, which offer about 70-80% English translation in the options menu (knock the first four toggleable items all the way to the right, IIRC).

BryanM: I think these ports are by Soliton Soft and published by Locus. (I don't know much about either company and can't find any other dev credits for Soliton.)

Blinge: yeah, Llylgamyn Saga has remakes of 1-3, while New Age of Llylgamyn has two versions of 4 (classic and arrange), and 5.
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

wizardry 1 on ps1.. does it have a map system or are you stuck making your own?/looking them up?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

If this thread is no longer limited to real-time action grid-based blobbers ala. Grimrock,

THE best combination of classic WRPG challenge and puzzles mixed with modern combat complexity and quality of life interface is Lords of Xulima.

Here is my full review at Caltrops.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

Now we are getting into Baldurs gate territory

I'm already 100+ hours into Icewind dale and have all the others to even start yet (Planescape: Torment, BG1&2 etc)
I tried temple of elemental evil but I didn't really get on with it, mostly the turn based nature, i just didn't find it very intuitive at all.

Loved pillars of eternity and haven't yet got around to the sequel but as much as I love these games it's not quite the reccommendations i'm looking for.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

No, while the overworld of Xulima may be isometric like a Baldur's Gate game, the actual gameplay is an amalgamation of Wizardry, Ultima, and Might and Magic.

Aside from the main character, your party is custom-built.

Your party moves as an inseparable unified entity through the overworld.

Combat is a first-person turn-based blobber affair, albeit with a greater degree of complexity (and fun, imo) than the blobbers of old.

Emphasis is far more on the challenge and puzzles than the plot. There are no relationships to maintain.

Despite the isometric viewpoint some (not all) puzzles and dungeons require you to get out pen and paper to take notes and draw some goddamn maps like a real man.

Xulima is NOT a Baldur's Gate lineage game:

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2014/11/ ... or-me.html
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Blinge wrote:I dug EO1, EO2 was less interesting to me but I tapped out at the post-game. I don't wanna go into it as Vanguard will be disappointed with me again :cry:
No dude I get it. 2's postgame really is kind of a drag. I did it on my first playthrough but I've skipped it ever since. I'd never consider doing that in any other EO.
bottino

Post by bottino »

CStarFlare wrote:Apparently enough people agree about the Saturn version of Baroque, because it (not its remakes) is getting a Switch port in 2020. Unsure what people think about how well this is carrying the SS specific vibe, but worth looking at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ridCLNSqE
Well this is a nice surprise. It definitely looks more faithful to the Saturn version than the Playstation 2 remake while having the latter 3rd person camera view.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land is quite possibly my favorite DRPG ever made, that or Etrian Odyssey 1.
CStarFlare wrote:Apparently enough people agree about the Saturn version of Baroque, because it (not its remakes) is getting a Switch port in 2020. Unsure what people think about how well this is carrying the SS specific vibe, but worth looking at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ridCLNSqE
I feel like all that footage is from the original, lol.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

EO1 (DS) is my fave EO game thus far, too. I'm just finishing up a game at the moment, and it's been a blast (though I've played it in a very on-off manner for a year). There's a lot of talk about it being a lot less accessible and more punishing than the later entries (particularly 4 and 5), but this has to be evaluated in context - compared to any crawler older than itself it's already a much more streamlined, 'user-friendly' experience, a bold modernisation, etc. It's far from 'broken' in my experience too - the Medic's immunize skill is powerful and covers more than it should, but it never took away the threat of things suddenly going south for my party. I was and still am getting ruthlessly dismantled on each new floor. Maybe Immunize is overpowered if you pair the Medic with a Protector and play with an extreme focus on min-max optimisation of your defensive skills, but if you're role-playing the party you want rather than the best possible one in all circumstances, I can't see it ever becoming a pushover. Money is enough of a struggle that you can't always just go for the best equipment, and of course any skill you do choose to max out comes at the expense of so many others, so I found it necessitated careful planning and decision-making throughout. It's pretty well balanced in that sense!

It's 'broken' in the sense that so many big JRPG landmarks were - ambitious design bumping up against various limitations, sometimes in ways that benefit the player, but always producing interesting results. And not to downplay the importance of solid mechanics and synergies but there's a tendency (esp amongst the more dedicated fans of the genre) to talk about dungeon crawlers purely in terms of the efficacy of specific functions, and that's maybe 5% of what I'm here for. (cf. the amount of people who dismiss The Dark Spire as garbage because they found an exploit where their ninja can just hide and then decapitate enemies forever, or whatever.) There's more to the genre than numbers, y'know?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

And not to downplay the importance of solid mechanics and synergies but there's a tendency (esp amongst the more dedicated fans of the genre) to talk about dungeon crawlers purely in terms of the efficacy of specific functions, and that's maybe 5% of what I'm here for. (cf. the amount of people who dismiss The Dark Spire as garbage because they found an exploit where their ninja can just hide and then decapitate enemies forever, or whatever.) There's more to the genre than numbers, y'know?
Fair. Even the stuff you talk about with the minmaxing of medic and protector builds is beyond me. When I played EO1 and 2 I picked whichever classes based on personal preference, i had no idea what skills would be good or not or how to build a character. Later when I'd need help with end-game it seemed like the forums I searched were talking a completely different language. That of minmaxing and stats.

I'm still a bit confused as to who can organically just build monster characters right off the bat, or do people go online and meticulously research how to get the most effective characters from the get go?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I think a lot of players do just research everything up front, yeah! The way EO's skill trees work makes it impossible to tell what your 'build' is going to look/play like in a few levels' time, if you're a first-time player, so online skill tree guides are probably pretty important. I was being a bit too dismissive there, because while you can definitely make most parties work, there are still bad choices, and in EO2 in particular you can really set yourself up to fail if you just pick five of whoever and dive in. I've been getting by on common sense for the most part, though - "I'll probably need a healer, and some ranged damage dealers on the back row" etc. A nice thing about EO is that even without multi-classing you can make your characters pretty multi-purpose. (e.g. my medic in EO1 has 'Caduceus' at level 10, which is a staff attack that does hefty damage. For the first half of the game they had nothing to hurt anything with.)
Steamflogger Boss

I'm torn on that. I think looking things up is generally bullshit (though I don't mind helping people that ask) but if the game is asking for super specific builds that would require a big time investment to get to (not just equipment/ability swaps) that's pretty shitty.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Blinge wrote:I'm still a bit confused as to who can organically just build monster characters right off the bat, or do people go online and meticulously research how to get the most effective characters from the get go?
You need to look up skill values to make rational decisions. Most people aren't going to figure out optimal parties on their own, but knowing which skills do the most damage goes a long way. Like if you look at an EO2 ronin's damage values, it becomes clear that midareba is their best attack by a mile, and all you have to do to make a monster ronin is spam midareba all day every day.

Maybe they deliberately hid damage values so that you'd experiment until you separate the wheat from the chaff, but that's dumb. The most efficient way to figure everything out on your own is to respec a character, try each skill one at a time, and then load your save when you're done. There's no fun in that, it just wastes a few hours of your time. I wouldn't look up specific builds though, putting your team together is half the game.
Steamflogger Boss wrote:I'm torn on that. I think looking things up is generally bullshit (though I don't mind helping people that ask) but if the game is asking for super specific builds that would require a big time investment to get to (not just equipment/ability swaps) that's pretty shitty.
In Etrian Odyssey you only really need optimized builds for the postgame, especially the true last bosses. Starting with Etrian 2 you can trade in one of your characters for a new, low level super character, so rebuilding your team doesn't set you back that much either. With that said they really ought to just tell you exactly what your abilities do.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Do the Etrian Odyssey games not allow you to respec points so you can experiment with builds more easily? Or is it one of those games like Diablo 2 where investing points forces you to stick with that skill for the rest of the game even if you discover it kinda sucks?
Blinge wrote:wizardry 1 on ps1.. does it have a map system or are you stuck making your own?/looking them up?
The PS1 version has an autofilling map you can use instead of having to make your own. There is also the option to play it the "classic" way by disabling the automap if you want to be hardcore. As someone who's played the first game obsessively, I can say that the PS1 version is the best release I've played of the original Wizardry trilogy. See the automap in action here at 33:06: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgTxnITkd-A&t=33m06s

Of the original releases of Wizardry, here's how they compare:

Apple II: The hardest release. Too slow to be playable due to the screen draw speed unless in an emulator at max speeds. Enemies can use spells on a surprise attack (as can you), and Haman/Mahaman pick their effect totally at random, instead of picking 3 out of 5 or 7 options and letting you choose which you want as in later releases (including SNES and PS1 if memory serves). Since Haman and Mahaman are the best spells in the game for destroying absolutely everything this is a big deal (spell effects include instadeath for all enemies including the final boss, as well as reducing magic resistance to 0 for the remainder of the fight, meaning Tiltowaits are guaranteed to hit afterwards).

MS-DOS: Has a bug with how stat gains are calculated making it nearly impossible to class change characters. Unlike other versions, your stats do not trend upwards until they're pretty much all maxed, and in fact they can go so low it's possible for them to roll over from negatives to +31.

NES: Doesn't support data transfer forward to Wiz 2 and 3, has a bug where AC does nothing, making it very hard. AC bug is fixed in a patch if you really want to play this.

SNES: Scenario 2 and 3 appear to have been swapped around? Their difficulty is also adjusted, and Thieves can now make sneak attacks from the back-row similar to Wizardry V. The least authentic experience, but it's a convenient console release that has all three games in it. I don't recommend it over the PS1 version though; Wizardry Gaiden IV for the SNES is fantastic though and is a must-play.

PS1: All three scenarios on one disc with full English options in everything except for the Monsters Encountered List and the Discovered Items List. Difficulty in the three scenarios is authentic to the original release of the games, obviously with modern conveniences (which you can disable if you want a more "classic" experience). The best version of Wizardry 1, 2, and 3 in my opinion.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Do the Etrian Odyssey games not allow you to respec points so you can experiment with builds more easily? Or is it one of those games like Diablo 2 where investing points forces you to stick with that skill for the rest of the game even if you discover it kinda sucks?
I can only speak to EO3, but what you can do is "retire" characters past a certain level threshold and replace them with a new character who has additional stats and skill points.

Steamflogger Boss

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
PS1: All three scenarios on one disc with full English options in everything except for the Monsters Encountered List and the Discovered Items List. Difficulty in the three scenarios is authentic to the original release of the games, obviously with modern conveniences (which you can disable if you want a more "classic" experience). The best version of Wizardry 1, 2, and 3 in my opinion.
The Japanese PS1 release is this way w/o patching?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yup. Both the SNES and PS1 Japanese releases have the full English text of the games contained in them, along with language toggles in the menu options (I'm not sure what the difference between Japanese 1 and Japanese 2 are, maybe whether or not they use kanji or something?). The Japanese have a huge love affair with the Wizardry series, so it makes sense that what is essentially the definitive release of Wizardry in the PS1 version would have both languages. It's more surprising that the SNES release also went to such effort, but it too has full English language options. See this link for a translation of the PS1 menu options.

The SNES version has an English patch, but all it translates are the things that are only in Japanese (namely the options menu and a few things in Japanese only such as spell descriptions). The PS1 version does not have a comparable translation patch that I am aware of, but again, the only major things that are not in English even with the language settings set to English are the options menu along with the bestiary and item record that tracks what monsters and items you've found, with stats on each. The entire game is otherwise playable and understandable in English on the original Japanese releases once you've set their language options to English. I can't remember if the PS1 has translated spell descriptions or not, but the earliest releases of Wizardry did not have ingame spell descriptions and expected you to use a spell chart with the spell descriptions on them as a reference (which I think was supposed to be a form of copy protection?) or figure out what each spell was on your own. If you need a spell reference chart you can find those online easily enough in PDF form on places like ReplacementDocs.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

EO's skill trees are labyrinths unto themselves. The classic Japanese style tooltips are a hoot - "this ability will make your guy hornswaggle the red birdcat", "cast a spell that ferrlongens the ornery corn shadow"; just absolutely useless.

Since you can just save and load, it's easy to basically write your own FAQ. Which I did to find what the damage multipliers in EO2 were. I guess there is something to be said for not having any idea what's going on, you can't explore what is just handed to you.

7th Dragon's skilltrees lacked renzokukens, so there wasn't as big a chasm of not finding which one was the good skill back then.
____

Oh, I've been meaning to trying out Labyrinth no Kanata in the next few years. Anyone give that one a try?
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Do the Etrian Odyssey games not allow you to respec points so you can experiment with builds more easily? Or is it one of those games like Diablo 2 where investing points forces you to stick with that skill for the rest of the game even if you discover it kinda sucks?
EO allows you to sacrifice 5 levels for a respec. Not a huge amount of time, but still a last resort. It also has a remort option, which increases your stats, skill points, and level cap plus lets you change your base class if you want to.

As long as you have a healer that heals the entire party with one turn, it shouldn't be a problem.

Diablo 2 implemented a respec system in um.. lookin' this up like a cheater... 2010. For "this will make you feel old", that means that it will have happened closer to its release date than the present soon. Eventually D2 will have had respeccing for more than 50% of its existence, and that percentage will only go up in the future.