Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ApolloBoy

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by ApolloBoy »

The composite sync signal is still present and I’m also using an OEM link cable.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to save the settings in the service menu on a Sony PVM 20L4 ??

On my 20M4U you saved the settings by pressing ENTER and DEGAUSS at the same time, the same method doesn't appear to work on the L series CRT's.

Cheers.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I want to have wireless controllers for my 4 most-used systems : NES, SNES, Genesis and PS2.

What are the best options? I'm out of the loop regarding wireless controllers. I think there's more than one option available for each of these systems currently?

Am I right in assuming that for PS2, the best option would be : Brook converter and legit DualShock 3? (the prospect of using a legit Sony controller is very appealing here. could even power the converter via the USB port that's on front of the PS2)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
TrantaLocked_

Post by TrantaLocked_ »

I'm looking for a no lag HDMI upscaler, that can properly handle odd resolutions like 960p from the OSSC, lets me specify the output color space, and preferably allows me to choose the type of scaling (bilinear, bicubic, nearest neighbor, etc). I also prefer a small device. I really wanted the mClassic to be my main upscaler, but I've heard the mClassic doesn't allow 960p input. I've seen DSC devices mentioned a lot and I wanted to buy the HD-HD, but that isn't available anywhere. Then there's the DSC 301 but it's a large, and I'd prefer small. Price limit is like $200 USD at absolute highest. What else should I take a look at?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

People seem to think highly of Retrobit's wireless saturn pads (i like them, 2.4ghz is ideal I believe). Check to see if they have a wireless Genesis controller. Wish I could offer more help.

My region-modded PS2 phat SCPH-39001 feels like it is freezing more and more on games (during loading screens). Some ps1 games take quite a while before they start (e.g. Namco Museum Vol. 5), while others will freeze occasionally (say, going between songs in a music game like Pop'n Music Fever or Technic Beat). Last night, ESPGaluda didn't even load despite a few attempts. I'm worried the PS2 Phat (modded again, with a Matrix chip, can't remember which), is growing more uncooperative (or dying). I am certain it's not the fault of these games; Technic Beat I bought brand new just a week or so ago.

What are some recommended ways to diagnose a problem with a PS2 phat. I know I should probably get some canned air and clean it out, but is there a way to tell if it's an issue with heating (if so, what to do?), or parts breaking down?

I had bought the region-modded machine to play imports as well as maintain my NTSC-U collection in a single unit, so I had kinda hoped I could stay on that route.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

The 8bitdo 2.4ghz M30 is a great wireless genesis controller. Just make sure to update the firmware on the receiver. No issues with diagonal inputs unlike their Nintendo controllers.

I also have the retro bit 2.4ghz wireless Saturn pad and whilst it’s good I can detect a tiny bit of lag, even fully updated. Fine for most games but I switch to a wired pad for fighters/shooters. Doesn’t feel as well built as the 8bitdo pad either. It does come with a USB dongle though that makes it useful for switch etc.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks Emperoring and Enragedwhale on your take for my questions on which wireless controllers to get for NES, SNES, Genesis and PS2

(my original post was on last page and I didn't want my query to be buried)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

I finally got a modded x360 to play my original jap shmups (my jap x360 is starting to show age with red lights regularly). It has aurora and works really well. Problem is that dvd-drive refuses to read my original games and I can't save them to the Hdd.. Is there an easy way to pass my original games to the hdd in the modded 360?

I have a Mac and a usb-superdrive drive if it helps. I tried to save espgaluda II to a dmg image, convert to iso, and try to convert it to with iso2god, but the app don't convert it... any help?
Working in the japanese language achievement
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

As far as I recall, in oder to rip 360 discs on your PC/MAC you need a special drive (with support for a special FW).

Is the drive on your Aurora-modded system busted or why doesn't it read your discs ? The region-free aspect of JTAG and RGH modded 360s indeed doesn't apply to playing from discs. Instead you're supposed to rip your games to HDD on the machine itself. I have a number of RGH modded units and this works flawlessly regardless of the games' possible region locks.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

ApolloBoy wrote:The composite sync signal is still present and I’m also using an OEM link cable.
I did a little more testing today and I still can't get the 32X working on this system. I'm at a loss here and I can't understand how the Triple Bypass could've completely broken 32X compatibility like this.

EDIT: Composite video through the 32X isn't working either, just tested it on a CRT and I just get a very dim rolling TMSS screen followed by nothing.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ApolloBoy wrote:
ApolloBoy wrote:The composite sync signal is still present and I’m also using an OEM link cable.
I did a little more testing today and I still can't get the 32X working on this system. I'm at a loss here and I can't understand how the Triple Bypass could've completely broken 32X compatibility like this.

EDIT: Composite video through the 32X isn't working either, just tested it on a CRT and I just get a very dim rolling TMSS screen followed by nothing.
does the triple bypass cut/intercept the csync/CBVS lines at all? I know nothing about it
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

It doesn't touch the composite video line at all, and the way I have it configured right now also means that it doesn't touch the composite sync line. The 32X generates its own composite video signal so I'm not sure what's going on.

EDIT: I think this issue deserves a new thread, this is beginning to drive me up the wall and I need to get this fixed.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Fudoh wrote:Is the drive on your Aurora-modded system busted or why doesn't it read your discs ? The region-free aspect of JTAG and RGH modded 360s indeed doesn't apply to playing from discs. Instead you're supposed to rip your games to HDD on the machine itself. I have a number of RGH modded units and this works flawlessly regardless of the games' possible region locks.
The unit works, but it is exactly like an unmoded drive, hides de xex file and the option to make an iso image. From what I have been told in another forum, apart from RGH the console, the drive needs to be flashed with your nand and a key to be able to make backups. Unfortunately the person who modded the x360 probably thought was going to be used with downloaded games.... and I have bought it second hand, so, no chance to have it solved.

Thanks for your reply. Now time to investigate how to do it outside the RGH’d x360, or downloading them...
Working in the japanese language achievement
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I've seen the Extron DVS-304 mentioned a bit around here recently but it was hard to search and get all the results. I had a friend recommend it for a set-up. What exactly is this thing good for?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

nothing. A few years ago it was an easy and cheap solution for converting 24khz source signals into something higher. If you have to stay under a certain budget I could imagine it being useful for overall scaling, but for really just a little bit more money, you can find considerably better devices.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I had one and hated it. Tearing and upscaled picture wasn't good. It transcoded so I guess it has that going for it? but with upscaling like that, who gives a good goddamn

Boss, Are you sure you're not thinking of the model that has 301 in the name? that one upscale 480p very cleanly I think? and some people on here are using it.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

FinalBaton wrote:I had one and hated it. Tearing and upscaled picture wasn't good. It transcoded so I guess it has that going for it? but with upscaling like that, who gives a good goddamn

Boss, Are you sure you're not thinking of the model that has 301 in the name? that one upscale 480p very cleanly I think? and some people on here are using it.
I might have been confused about it. It's a very similar number so quite possible.

This is just for a projector anyway and I think I'm better off with the Lumagen I already have on hand that has projector oriented firmware iirc. I'd like to get a newer Lumagen at some point, eventually.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Lumagens have pretty low lag and nice scaling, but they're mangling the picture to a certain degree because the processing is limited to 4:2:2 and the chroma upsampling isn't great for graphics.

Especially for the combination of a projector and video games, I would really recommend to a try a 4:4:4 processing solution. It will make a noticeable difference. The Extron that FinalBaton mentioned can be found for around $100-150. It's upscaling for graphics is excellent and it's full 4:4:4 - input to output. If you require 4K, then the 4K Extrons are still a bit on the expensive side though.
Steamflogger Boss

Not planning to play any video games on it, only film content.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Alright then. If you're upscaling SD, still try some other solutions some day. I was never really convinced of Lumagen's SD handling.
Steamflogger Boss

Fudoh wrote:Alright then. If you're upscaling SD, still try some other solutions some day. I was never really convinced of Lumagen's SD handling.
LD and DVD 99% of the time.

I want to wait until I have a newer projector for BD.

These are things I have that are not currently in use at all: DVDO VP30 w/ add-on card, Image Anyplace IA-100, Lumagen VisionPro HDP, Extron DVS 304A.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Which of these are you currently using the LD and DVD?

Try a Faroudja Sage 2300/2310 based unit sometime. The step up in deinterlacing quality compared to the FLI-2200 (that's the one in your SOIA if I recall correctly) is huge. So much more pop compared to Lumagen's SD handling.

The DVDOs are fantastic for really good SD material. Late generation DVDs (2004+) really shine on the DVDOs. For LD or weaker DVD material, the Faroudjas outshine the DVDOs though. That's something you have to see for yourself and benchmark don't do this justice. The ABT102 in your VP30 has so much more tricks up its sleeve that it performs better than any Faroudja on many benchmark test clips, but in terms of overall picture impact, the Faroudjas can still come out ahead (with the right content).
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Anyone have any luck adjusting the laser for a PC Engine Duo/TurboDuo? I got one that has already been recapped but it's not loading discs. I also don't have access to a scope.

EDIT: Sent it off to Keith Courage over at the PC Engine Software Bible Forum, I decided I'd rather leave it to someone who has far more experience than I do.
Last edited by ApolloBoy on Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

ApolloBoy wrote:Anyone have any luck adjusting the laser for a PC Engine Duo/TurboDuo? I got one that has already been recapped but it's not loading discs. I also don't have access to a scope.
With the Duo-R you can buy a brand new laser from China since it's an off-the-shelf part. Might be the same with the regular Duo?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

The Duo and Duo-R use the exact same laser but that's not the issue at fault. Looking at it, I'm convinced that whoever recapped this system messed around with the adjustment pots on the motherboard and they're off far enough that it's not loading discs.
Kez

Post by Kez »

ApolloBoy wrote:Anyone have any luck adjusting the laser for a PC Engine Duo/TurboDuo? I got one that has already been recapped but it's not loading discs. I also don't have access to a scope.
I have adjusted the pots on a couple CDROM2s with good results, I followed the guide in this thread:

https://www.pcenginefans.com/forum/inde ... pic=8926.0
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

There is also the Repair FAQ for CD players which describes in generic terms what the adjustments in a CD player do and how to adjust them.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

It's been a few years since I looked into this, but what's the best way to get RGB from an NTSC N64 assuming that you have the model that works with the simple mods? That's what I have and I have it modded with N64RGB from Tim Worthington, but the RGB is so much noisier than s-video. It's not as noticeable on a CRT, but it's almost painful to play through an upscaler (and yes, I am using high-quality, shielded cables and have tried several different ones just in case). I've tried all sorts of grounding and cable swaps for the mod and nothing helps. I know at one point there was some discussion over replacing some capacitors or power supply bits to clean up the noise, but I'm wondering if switching to a different mod might be a better way to go. It's the only console that is this bad and it's quite frustrating.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

thebigcheese wrote:It's been a few years since I looked into this, but what's the best way to get RGB from an NTSC N64 assuming that you have the model that works with the simple mods? That's what I have and I have it modded with N64RGB from Tim Worthington, but the RGB is so much noisier than s-video. It's not as noticeable on a CRT, but it's almost painful to play through an upscaler (and yes, I am using high-quality, shielded cables and have tried several different ones just in case). I've tried all sorts of grounding and cable swaps for the mod and nothing helps. I know at one point there was some discussion over replacing some capacitors or power supply bits to clean up the noise, but I'm wondering if switching to a different mod might be a better way to go. It's the only console that is this bad and it's quite frustrating.
My understanding is that that style of RGB mod needs to be paired with a power filter, because the N64's 3.3V rail is noisy. I'm not sure if that mod has been revised to include the filtering.
Kez

Post by Kez »

thebigcheese wrote:It's been a few years since I looked into this, but what's the best way to get RGB from an NTSC N64 assuming that you have the model that works with the simple mods? That's what I have and I have it modded with N64RGB from Tim Worthington, but the RGB is so much noisier than s-video. It's not as noticeable on a CRT, but it's almost painful to play through an upscaler (and yes, I am using high-quality, shielded cables and have tried several different ones just in case). I've tried all sorts of grounding and cable swaps for the mod and nothing helps. I know at one point there was some discussion over replacing some capacitors or power supply bits to clean up the noise, but I'm wondering if switching to a different mod might be a better way to go. It's the only console that is this bad and it's quite frustrating.
It shouldn't be that noisy.. sounds like something is wrong with your mod in particular. Are your digital wires for the mod running too close to the analog ones? Do you have any pictures of the mod?