Darius (Genesis / Megadrive Mini)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Darius (Genesis / Megadrive Mini)

Post by BrianC »

I put the roms from my Asian mini on a flash cart to play on real hardware. Most are the same as those widely available, but a few (Mega Man the Wily Wars and Puyo Puyo 2) are different. Even the JP Rockman Megaworld was tweaked (control delay fix, AFAIK). Puyo Puyo 2 added a third voice option, but I'm not sure of the exact differences. Tetris actually has seperate JP and US ROMs and only the JP version retains the (untranslated) instruction screens.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Which route that suit best for quick clear?
SAM

Post by SAM »

copy-paster wrote:Which route that suit best for quick clear?
I don't know. But It seems that the level is easilyer when you are going up all the times.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I can't speak for the Genesis port specifically, but in the arcade version the easiest route is ACEHMRX by a long shot. All up (ABDGKPZ') is not the easy route in the older titles in the way ADH or ORV are easy routes in Dariusburst. I would say Z' is on the more difficult side in arcade Darius due to zone P and G.T. being your final boss, though ACEHLQV is harder. Difficulty is a bit more random in the old games.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
SAM

Post by SAM »

ACSeraph wrote:I can't speak for the Genesis port specifically, but in the arcade version the easiest route is ACEHMRX by a long shot. All up (ABDGKPZ') is not the easy route in the older titles in the way ADH or ORV are easy routes in Dariusburst. I would say Z' is on the more difficult side in arcade Darius due to zone P and G.T. being your final boss, though ACEHLQV is harder. Difficulty is a bit more random in the old games.
You are right, about the all up (ABDGKPZ) path. I clear the game in Easy Mode (TIAT) via the path (ABDHMRX) of wich I think might be the easiest path. Stage L is hard IMO, and I think there is no need to bypass Stage B by going though Stage C & Stage E, as I think Stage B & Stage D is easier.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

SAM wrote:(ABDHMRX) of wich I think might be the easiest path.
The issue with Zone M is: Asteroids are random and they also have delayed explosion if you shoot the bigger ones. Random spawn affects powerups too sometimes you would not get any powerups at all. Zone M is easy in Super Darius and also have fixed asteroid spawn.

I'd say if you want a quick clear, go for ABDGLRX and set to Arcade mode boss. I have no idea how to beat MYHOME DADDY and dunno what Zone L boss is.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

copy-paster wrote:I have no idea how to beat MYHOME DADDY and dunno what Zone L boss is.
I've been using a slightly revised version of the easiest Super Darius strategy: get to the very top of the screen (if you have a shield, bury half of it in the ceiling), position yourself just above the big laser cannon and start dropping bombs on it. The laser won't touch you when it comes out since its arcs are too wide and loose, nor will the cannonballs from further down the shell. After the laser is gone, pull back a bit but stay at the same height, and start dropping bombs on the crab itself. You have to move left and right to keep up with it but you don't have to come down from the safety of the ceiling.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

This Genesis version is basically "Genesis does what PC EngiNot" (or should I say "TurboGrafxn't"?). Everything is completely arcade accurate for a 16 bit game: Gameplay, graphics and even the sound. Truly an accomplishment.

By the way, what's the difference between 26 Bosses and Arcade?
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

You get the full expanded boss roster from Super Darius if you choose 26 Bosses. The arcade game has 11, and uses the same boss on each 'tier' of stages on the route map (except for the last tier, where you have 5 possible final bosses). Super Darius and the Mega Drive version now have unique bosses for most of the stages. Darius Plus has some of the new bosses but not all of them, so I was really impressed that Hidecade went to the effort of cramming in the whole squad here.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

MD port is also generous with powerups if you choose right zones, you can get full barrier unlike PCE port. Also new bosses are harder than PCE one so yeah, you get a trade-off.
Klatrymadon wrote:After the laser is gone, pull back a bit but stay at the same height, and start dropping bombs on the crab itself. You have to move left and right to keep up with it but you don't have to come down from the safety of the ceiling.
Didn't knew this trick before, I always pierce them with lasers. Worth check it out. :D
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

I thought I was the only one still paying attention to this game. I don't have a PC Engine , so my only experience with it was when I went to Chicago on a trip and played it at Ghost Arcade. I truly appreciate this gem. I still cant believe that the were able to do this on Genesis hardware.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

The Japanese cartridge version is out.
Got mine this morning. Gave it a good 2 hour run and I'm really impressed. Looks lovely on my arcade monitor too. Totally worth the money.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

SuperDeadite wrote:The Japanese cartridge version is out.
Got mine this morning. Gave it a good 2 hour run and I'm really impressed. Looks lovely on my arcade monitor too. Totally worth the money.

Is the PCB beveled this time around?
KAI

Post by KAI »

Damn! that jun suemi alt cover <3
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For SuperDeadite,

Where did you order your cool JPN MD Darius Extra Version from?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:For SuperDeadite,

Where did you order your cool JPN MD Darius Extra Version from?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Beep direct. (I live in Japan.)
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

BrianC wrote:

Nope... XD
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

KAI wrote:Damn! that jun suemi alt cover <3
Beep is now doing a pre-order for a B2 poster.

https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/detail/8409
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

SuperDeadite wrote:
BrianC wrote:

Nope... XD
At least they killed it presentation wise. I do like the transparent black shell they use. I have their MD release of Mad Stalker and I enjoyed that game quite a bit. I have a feeling that game uses the same engine as the black bar SFII CE MD prototype, which is rumored to be programmed by the same company (Opera House).
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Yeah, the shell feels great to the touch. I passed on Mad Stalker, as I have the a real X68000 to play it on, but nice to see it get released anyway.