New Metal Slug game set for 2020

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: New Metal Slug game set for 2020

Post by xxx1993 »

MathU wrote:I feel like most people who bash 6 and 7 while talking up the original three as if they're a set of totally consistent masterpieces really don't play these games seriously (e.g., single-credit clearing or score play) or they let the couple of very disappointing games after 3 cloud their ability to judge them fairly compared to Nazca's games. Did 4 and 5 have some problems? Yes, they sure did. One has infuriating level design and the other can be summarized as a tragically unfinished game. But the original trilogy aren't without their share of flaws either. Stiff controls in the first game tightened up by later entries, broken scoring systems in 2 and 3 especially, cheap bosses in 3, levels that are too long for their own good in 3... Metal Slug 6 doesn't have most of these problems (just ban Clark from score play), although it is a little lacking in content. 7 fixed that content gap right up and assembled what is arguably the best overall assortment of mechanically interesting and fair bosses since the first game. That's why I contend that 7 is the least flawed game in the series.
Honestly, this right here.
heli

Post by heli »

We here only enjoyed metal slug with 2 players very much.
Devs if you read : make 4 player.
A nice party game ( should fit in 16/9 aspect )
heli

Post by heli »

Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Sumez wrote:Unless they are doing over-the-top KOF13 style hi-res pixel art, I don't care.
KOF13 was why SNK very nearly went bankrupt, they spent $1 million per character doing those sprites. They're going to have to do 3D.
Last edited by Zeether on Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
MathU

Post by MathU »

There is absolutely no reason to switch to 3D as long as you constrain the relative resolution to keep sprite workload reasonable. Metal Slug looks just as amazing in 320x224 today as it did in 1996. And that look happens to be better than most modern huge resolution 2D including KoF XIII. Don't fall for the resolution scam, they can and should draw the game at something reasonable like 320x224 and upscale it.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Zeether wrote: KOF13 was why SNK very nearly went bankrupt, they spent $1 million per character doing those sprites.
$1 million for a character animation? And here we have people on Twitter doing it as a hobby :P
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

MathU wrote:Metal Slug looks just as amazing in 320x224 today as it did in 1996.
Today:

1996:

Wheres the lol button.
Spoiler
Sorry, don't mind me.
stacks183

Post by stacks183 »

Sumez wrote: $1 million for a character animation? And here we have people on Twitter doing it as a hobby :P
Isn't that like a normal budget for a single character for almost all fighting games? This is why they all sell half the roster as DLCs nowadays.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm disappointed. We didn't get any information on Metal Slug today...
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Zeether wrote:
Sumez wrote:Unless they are doing over-the-top KOF13 style hi-res pixel art, I don't care.
KOF13 was why SNK very nearly went bankrupt, they spent $1 million per character doing those sprites. They're going to have to do 3D.
I understand good 2D is expensive, but there's no way they spent $36 million on character sprites alone. They used 3D models of characters in KoFXIII for each frame that they went back over and manually "pixelized".
MathU

Post by MathU »

High resolution 2D is expensive, let's be clear. There's a number of doujin and indie games with only a handful of developers that have fine to excellent-looking graphics because they intentionally constrained their drawing resolutions. The original Metal Slug itself was drawn by about six artists with two working concurrently on Neo Turf Masters. It didn't need scores of artists and billions of man-hours to look as good as it does. 2D fans need to learn to curb their expectations already if they want to see more 2D and accept the fact that hand-placed pixels at always-growing modern resolutions represent geometric expansions of labor, and if we want to see more 2D we need to accept games drawn at lower resolutions. Resolution fetishism is the mortal enemy of 2D gaming.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfRAEm3Es4w

Well, there's the mobile title, but there's still nothing on the console game yet...
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

xxx1993 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfRAEm3Es4w

Well, there's the mobile title, but there's still nothing on the console game yet...
The game will be eventually launched on switch as many other mobile games. But truth to be told it is very lame to launch it for mobile phones :(
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Imagine having landed the unappreciative job of being tasked with recreating several of the most iconic and memorable video game graphics ever, in an inherently just-not-quite-as-good-looking manner.
Given what they had to work with, I think they did a surprisngly great job on that mobile game. It just doesn't look good, and it's impossible to not compare it to the scenes they are replicating, so why even bother. -_-
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Sumez wrote:Imagine having landed the unappreciative job of being tasked with recreating several of the most iconic and memorable video game graphics ever, in an inherently just-not-quite-as-good-looking manner.
I agree with this sentiment, they could only lose.
Even though I empathize with the art department, I won't touch this thing, not even with a sharp stick.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

MathU wrote:High resolution 2D is expensive, let's be clear. There's a number of doujin and indie games with only a handful of developers that have fine to excellent-looking graphics because they intentionally constrained their drawing resolutions. The original Metal Slug itself was drawn by about six artists with two working concurrently on Neo Turf Masters. It didn't need scores of artists and billions of man-hours to look as good as it does. 2D fans need to learn to curb their expectations already if they want to see more 2D and accept the fact that hand-placed pixels at always-growing modern resolutions represent geometric expansions of labor, and if we want to see more 2D we need to accept games drawn at lower resolutions. Resolution fetishism is the mortal enemy of 2D gaming.
I'd kill for another hand drawn/ pixelled Metal Slug in 365x240 that looks anywhere near as great as MS3. Problem is, who'd spend any significant amount of money on it in 2020? If it is to be in 2D, SNK will have to match the visuals of KOF13 if they want to create any kind of impact, no? Because else it will be "just another retro game"...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Personally I think it (mostly) looks pretty good. Maybe recreating the old stage designs was a bad call since they can't really avoid comparison to the impossibly high quality original dot art.

Some objects look pretty weird (especially the zako soldiers...), but overall I think there's a lot of nice looking stuff in there. This is just the mobile game, so I'm hoping the console game is tightened up a bit more (and no auto-aiming please!).
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Phellan Wolf wrote:

But truth to be told it is very lame to launch it for mobile phones :(
Many people game on mobile phones.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Phellan Wolf wrote:

The game will be eventually launched on switch as many other mobile games. But truth to be told it is very lame to launch it for mobile phones :(
IIRC the console title is a separate game.
heli

Post by heli »

Lets wait for batsugun first.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

el_rika wrote:
Phellan Wolf wrote:

But truth to be told it is very lame to launch it for mobile phones :(
Many people game on mobile phones.
Yup, candy crush saga tells you that :lol:
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

heli wrote:Lets wait for batsugun first.
Is there a confirmed time frame on it yet? Ive been holding out for years to get it on Saturn, so this might be my chance.