PlayStation recommendations

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DazTM

PlayStation recommendations

Post by DazTM »

I've been a Saturn fan for a long time but have just got into the PlayStation.
I picked up a bunch of shooters recently (for far less than Harfmul Park costs) which included
G Darius
Einhander
Galaxian 3
Philosoma
Raycrisis
Raystorm
R-Type Delta
Sanvein
Shooting Collection 35
Starblade
Zanac X Zanac

Am I missing anything else notable aside from Gradius Gaiden?
Ice Beam

Re: PlayStation recommendations

Post by Ice Beam »

Donpachi and Dodonpachi (and Harmful Park).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

In case you haven't already seen it, here is a not-quite-complete list of shmups on the system compiled by this forum a few years back.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Konami arcade ports (Deluxe Pack) are mostly good too. There are:

Gokujou Parodius Da!
Detana Twinbee Yahho!
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
Sexy Parodius
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
DazTM

Post by DazTM »

copy-paster wrote:Konami arcade ports (Deluxe Pack) are mostly good too. There are:

Gokujou Parodius Da!
Detana Twinbee Yahho!
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Sexy Parodius
I have all those on Saturn :D
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Don't forget Thunderforce V as well.
DazTM

Post by DazTM »

BulletMagnet wrote:In case you haven't already seen it, here is a not-quite-complete list of shmups on the system compiled by this forum a few years back.
Thanks, will check it out
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

My best recommendation (and all of us might agree) is clearly Thunder Force V Perfect System.

Other PS1 shmups to play
- RayStorm
- Einhander
- Gradius Gaiden
- GekiOh Shooting King
- Raiden DX
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
CIT

Post by CIT »

Of those not mentioned:

Raiden Project and more importantly Raiden DX.

R-Types, Toaplan Shooting Battle, and Cotton Original.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:My best recommendation (and all of us might agree) is clearly Thunder Force V Perfect System.

Other PS1 shmups to play
- RayStorm
- Einhander
- Gradius Gaiden
- GekiOh Shooting King
- Raiden DX
R-Type Delta gets my vote for best shmup on the PS1 but G. Darius and Thunderforce V are absolutely top tier as well.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I recommend going for G-Darius on PS2 via Taito memories if you have the means.

My current favorite PS1 shmup is Raiden DX by a long shot. I really hope we see an ACA release soon given the recent announcements.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

All my favourites have been mentioned, so I'll just reiterate DoDonPachi (I believe, though I'm not certain, that the PSX port is preferable to the Saturn one), Einhander, G Darius, Raiden DX. These games occupy most of my shmup-playing on the PS1, though there are obviously quite a few others. the Racketboy article has some nice blurbs to sell you on individual games.

Forgot Zanac X Zanac, which has already been mentioned. Embarrassing, honestly, since I've played it more than the rest combined.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I quite like the raiden titles on the PS1 in addition to the ones that you already have. R-Type Delta is not bad at all. I also have R-Types. These days I tend to use the PS1 to play DDP.

I never really liked the PS1 and pretty much used it to play Metal Slug back in the early 2000s and I still use the PS1 as an emulator for mostly NES/FC games. I never really liked the PS1 :D

Edit: indeed, Einhaender is well-worth playing - one of the few PS exclusives.
More Bromances = safer people
FRO

Post by FRO »

CIT wrote:Of those not mentioned:

Raiden Project and more importantly Raiden DX.

R-Types, Toaplan Shooting Battle, and Cotton Original.
I was going to definitely second The Raiden Project. Both excellent ports of the 1st 2 games, and even include optional arranged soundtracks. R-Types is solid as well, compiling R-Type and its sequel, though if memory serves, the games run ever so slightly too fast, so they can be a bit tougher than the arcade originals, so the newer R-Type Dimensions releases on PS3/360, PC, PS4 and Switch might be the better option. Even so, it's still worth picking up for cheap.
heli

Post by heli »

Dont forget my favourite : space shot.
It is really cheap on ebay.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Not shmups, but there are some other neat PS1 exclusives like Silent Bomber, Elemental Gearbolt, Vib Ribbon, and a cool tunnel shooter by square.. the name escapes me.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

chempop wrote:Not shmups, but there are some other neat PS1 exclusives like Silent Bomber, Elemental Gearbolt, Vib Ribbon, and a cool tunnel shooter by square.. the name escapes me.
Internal Section [I.S.].
FRO wrote:R-Types is solid as well, compiling R-Type and its sequel, though if memory serves, the games run ever so slightly too fast, so they can be a bit tougher than the arcade originals, so the newer R-Type Dimensions releases on PS3/360, PC, PS4 and Switch might be the better option.
R-Type Dimensions uses reverse-engineered Western ROM sets of the two included games. R-Types uses the original Japanese ROM sets ported by members of the original teams. In terms of overall authenticity, R-Types still has the most accurate ports of R-Type I and II.
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Kiken wrote: R-Type Dimensions uses reverse-engineered Western ROM sets of the two included games. R-Types uses the original Japanese ROM sets ported by members of the original teams. In terms of overall authenticity, R-Types still has the most accurate ports of R-Type I and II.
What's the difference between the Japanese and Western ROM sets?
FRO

Post by FRO »

Ice Beam wrote:
Kiken wrote: R-Type Dimensions uses reverse-engineered Western ROM sets of the two included games. R-Types uses the original Japanese ROM sets ported by members of the original teams. In terms of overall authenticity, R-Types still has the most accurate ports of R-Type I and II.
I was wondering this as well. I do think Dimensions is a great way to play the games, because of all the options available, but I'm intrigued by the differences.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

FRO wrote:
Ice Beam wrote:
I was wondering this as well. I do think Dimensions is a great way to play the games, because of all the options available, but I'm intrigued by the differences.
Here's a quick pair of examples from of R-Type II, stage 2:

At the beginning of the stage, there are sequences of enemies that move diagonally. In the Japanese ROM set these formations alternate between appearing from the right and the left. In the Western ROM set, the sequences strictly appear from the right.

Throughout the later half of the level, there are small legged enemies that traverse the lower surface of the level. In the Japanese ROM set, the large yellow fireballs that they shoot can be absorbed by the Force Pod. In the Western ROM, these same shots will plow straight through the Force Pod.

There are plenty of other differences between the ROM sets, but there's something specific in R-Type Dimensions due to how the coding was handled that results in odd Force Pod behavior when it is jettisoned.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Kiken wrote:There are plenty of other differences between the ROM sets, but there's something specific in R-Type Dimensions due to how the coding was handled that results in odd Force Pod behavior when it is jettisoned.
I'm not sure if this was an issue with the Western ROM set, but in R-Type Dimensions (R-Type 1), I've never been able to one-shot the stage 3 battleship boss. Quirks like that always put me off from taking Dimensions too seriously. Getting the quick kill on that boss is standard procedure for the arcade game and some of its ports (like the PCE versions).
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

heli wrote:Dont forget my favourite : space shot.
Now, this is the kind of thing I keep coming back for to these forums.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Check out Kyuiin if you like quirky games and fun SUCC based scoring system (you ride a vacuum)
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
FRO

Post by FRO »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
I would say only seek out Space Shot if you can find it dirt cheap. It's not a good game, by any stretch, but can be fun to play in a "so bad it's good" sort of way. I had fun with it, but I can see how most serious players would want to avoid it, because it definitely falls into that kusoge category.
Marc

Post by Marc »

DazTM wrote:
copy-paster wrote:Konami arcade ports (Deluxe Pack) are mostly good too. There are:

Gokujou Parodius Da!
Detana Twinbee Yahho!
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Sexy Parodius
Is that still my old Skeleton Saturn? God how long ago did I sell that now!?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Austin

Post by Austin »

FRO wrote:
Obiwanshinobi wrote:
I would say only seek out Space Shot if you can find it dirt cheap. It's not a good game, by any stretch, but can be fun to play in a "so bad it's good" sort of way. I had fun with it, but I can see how most serious players would want to avoid it, because it definitely falls into that kusoge category.
I don't know. I used to hate the game, but dived into learning how to actually score with its boost mechanic (or whatever), and it became a lot of fun. For the price I'd say it's definitely worth messing with. If you try to play it like a classic shmup, it's boring, but when you're slamming into stuff left and right with the boost, it's pretty fun.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Sonic Wings Special for either PSX or Saturn was pretty good value for the price I payed (Saturn version here, having played PSX one burnt before, a lot). It's like proto-Castle Shikigami 2 in terms of sheer number and variety of planes, and I dream of playing its co-op with someone equally interested as I am in experimenting with various weapon combos. To my knowledge it also is the only consoles-only shmup with tate. Super-threatening boss music themes as well.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

DazTM

Post by DazTM »

Marc wrote:
DazTM wrote:

Gokujou Parodius Da!
Detana Twinbee Yahho!
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Sexy Parodius
Is that still my old Skeleton Saturn? God how long ago did I sell that now!?
Yes mate. I still have it. About 16 years ago I reckon.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Sonic Wings Special for either PSX or Saturn was pretty good value for the price I payed (Saturn version here, having played PSX one burnt before, a lot). To my knowledge it also is the only consoles-only shmup with tate.
See also Bullet Soul and Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Psikyo released both Strikers 1945 & Strikers 1945 II for the JPN PSX as well. I have both games and they do offer tate as well.

The interesting thing about the PSX version of S-1945 II is that it came with a 5,800 yen price tag and was the very last copy at a Japanese game shop when I saw it for sale back in March of 2000. Paid the asking price + the usual tax = well worth it just to be able to play it on the PS One platform nowadays.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~