Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
durias

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by durias »

1945 in TATE mode on Nintendo Switch using Flip Grip which makes the Switch look ilke a spaceship.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Working on Lords of Thunder on the TG16 mini. I've been able to finish it with continues, but I won't quit until I 1CC it. There's a few problem areas, but for the most part I feel like I'm veeeeery close to the clear.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

I'm in a DonPachi mood after that Truxton II clear. I've been grinding away at stage 4 in save state practice today. I want to see if I can get that 1-ALL.
durias

Post by durias »

Gradius (NES)
durias

Post by durias »

Raiden V
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Got the DonPachi 1-ALL, so now I'm playing Hishouzame. Have some unfinished business to take care of with that game.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Picked up the Konami Arcade Collection on Xbox. Own six of the games on the PS4 already, but due to it being on sale for £4.00 to gold members, though it was worth it for Twinbee and Scramble (which occasionally seems to disappear as an AA title in it's own right every so often?).

Due to it defaulting to the English versions, I gave a few of them a go, which I've never really bothered with on PS4 - I've always though it better to play the original JPN versions.

Didn't realise that Nemesis was so different to Gradius - throws a lot more bullets around earlier on, but offers a bunch of orbs to get you back on your feet after a death. Not sure which I prefer, but it certainly makes recovery more feasible.

I've always found Salamander to be a pretty janky game, but either they fixed a few things for Life Force, or I got lucky. The cell walls on the first stage don't seem to regenerate as quickly, so I managed the third boss on my first go, which can be a bit of a crap shoot on the original. As I say, no real evidence to support this, so maybe just fluked it.

I'm not even touching US/World Thunder Cross.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Nemesis is ridiculous, I don't think it's possible to no-miss that game. Better stick to Gradius because like most of the checkpoints are recoverable.

Life Force is slightly better game because this one gives you extend each, manageable 4th boss, and Gradius power-up. The cheapness still there tho, sometimes you get hit by nothing. EDIT: Oh wait you're talking of US version of Life Force right? That's basically Salamander with all stage 1 background.
buggle

Post by buggle »

Plugging away on the Hellsinker 1CC. Segment 7 is the current giant roadblock but Segment 6 consistency is also an issue. I really wanna get there though so on that basis alone I'll probably get it...sometime!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

How is the Vulcan Venture version of Gradius 2? MX5000 seems to be mostly the same as Flak Attack?

The version of Nemesis with the crazy rank and after death power ups is the US version? There's another Nemesis version (UK?) that plays more like the JP version.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Back to working on Operation Ragnarok/Zedblade on the MVS. This game's rank rise really starts to become a major hurdle come stage 5, and then stages 6 and 7 are just a nightmare.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BrianC wrote:How is the Vulcan Venture version of Gradius 2? MX5000 seems to be mostly the same as Flak Attack?

The version of Nemesis with the crazy rank and after death power ups is the US version? There's another Nemesis version (UK?) that plays more like the JP version.
Yeah, thinking I'm sure that the PS4 AA release contains all three... have to check it out later.
copy-paster wrote:Nemesis is ridiculous, I don't think it's possible to no-miss that game. Better stick to Gradius because like most of the checkpoints are recoverable.

Life Force is slightly better game because this one gives you extend each, manageable 4th boss, and Gradius power-up. The cheapness still there tho, sometimes you get hit by nothing. EDIT: Oh wait you're talking of US version of Life Force right? That's basically Salamander with all stage 1 background.
The stage 4 boss is the vert one with the bouncing balls right? What did they fix?

Also for some reason I dabbled with Thunder Force last night.... what were Konami smoking? I didn't realise it had removed all the extra weapons as well!

The option spacing is the killer though, I'm pretty sure I relied on that on at least one level - the one where you're trapped between the big ships 'arms' and movement is restricted. Seem to remember it being pretty imperative to constantly adjust them to hit stuff before you got over run in the centre, so not sure how I'll manage that, if I reach it. Got no further than ST3 last night.

Achievements are all tied to the US versions as well!
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
AZA

Post by AZA »

been playing AERO FIGHTERS 3 on my consolized MV1B. it's my favorite NEO GEO game of all time! i want a dedicated cabinet with video system logo sideart and a custom AERO FIGHTERS 3 marquee one day... :P this game is worth it!
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

Radiant Silvergun on 360/XB1. 20 years ago, I played it non stop for a year or so and got burnt out on it. Just got a hori fighting commander controller which is perfect for it, because of the button layout. Also, gotten more into Natsuke Chronicles. Non -shmup wise it's Beyond Blue, an ocean sim that just came out, great chill game
AZA

Post by AZA »

Wittischism wrote: Beyond Blue, an ocean sim that just came out, great chill game
Too bad beyond blue isnt the sequel to DEEP BLUE for the TurboGrafx-16 :lol:
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Marc wrote:The stage 4 boss is the vert one with the bouncing balls right? What did they fix?
Japanese Life Force only have three "cells" onscreen instead of keep spawning in Salamander/US LF. Still cheap but at least doable and you also have extra lives via extend.
BrianC wrote:How is the Vulcan Venture version of Gradius 2? MX5000 seems to be mostly the same as Flak Attack?

Vulcan Venture is based on older ver of Gradius II rom. Difference is: Title screen, extend at 20K and 70K (as opposed to 20K and 150K in new ver and PS1/SAT/PSP ports), and continue option after you died. Looks like Nemesis in the collection is the one with crazy rank.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Super Ghouls N Ghosts Restoration Version Professional Mode and SA-1 Gradius III on SNES SD2SNES (I own both carts. 8) )
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Super Star Soldier.

Its a love hate thing.

The audio/visual presentation pulls me in and the weapon system/power downs pulls me back out. Clearly not the best game I've played but it has its qualities.
Bawa

Post by Bawa »

Bashing my head against a wall, as I keep failing to get my 1CC on Mushi Maniac.
When not doing it, I just got Sisters Royale on switch so that's a nice change of pace.
I suck at these games but I do enjoy them.
Platforms: PC / NSwitch
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Bawa wrote:Bashing my head against a wall, as I keep failing to get my 1CC on Mushi Maniac.
When not doing it, I just got Sisters Royale on switch so that's a nice change of pace.
Dont feel bad, I just completed SGnG (Restoration Edition) on Pro difficulty for the first time ever about 10 minutes ago, and it took many lives and continues (95% of my deaths trying to kill that damned Astaroth and Nebiroth with the admittedly shitty Goddess Bracelet). I even got a leg cramp one time from tensing up, lol. Still, Im very proud to have finally done it. What a fantastic game. :mrgreen:
durias

Post by durias »

Steredenn: Binary Stars
AZA

Post by AZA »

I think tonight i’ll play some Darius Plus on my TurboGrafx-16. What an underrated Darius game! I love the music despite popular opinion.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

durias wrote:Steredenn: Binary Stars
I have the original on steam. Fun game.
My lord, I have come for you.
endali

Post by endali »

neko navy just got a cosmetic update. good excuse to run through it a few times.
Bawa

Post by Bawa »

I feel I'm getting close to my mushi maniac 1cc.
Practice levels are all done, I just need to control my stress/nervousness when reaching stage 4 and 5.
Gawds, I love this game and I suck at it but it might be within reach with some more tries (hopefully).
I suck at these games but I do enjoy them.
Platforms: PC / NSwitch
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

For the first time in many years I'm getting back into Caladrius scoreplay, and I can really feel myself going down the rabbit hole (again). My routes have gotten really messy after years of atrophy, but I think I will be able to take the PS4 leaderboard #1 for Lilith default pretty fast, as even my rough route still yeilds enough points to do it if I execute it correctly. Topping my old PS3 score on the other hand will require a completely new route, but I have an idea for it that I want to test out.

What I'm really interested in is finally getting a top tier score in AC. I really would like to take the Lilith world record at a minimum, but I'm going to need to do some digging to find out exactly what it is.
Last edited by ACSeraph on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

my current project is a DFK Arrange B counter-stop on stage 5, after getting inspired by watching QSD stream the stage 3 counter-stop, and some discussions we had on the shmups discord. Arrange B is best DFK mode i think. infinitely replayable, and the way the game changes by how you play it means you have to develop strategies on the fly to get what you want to happen. it's a looooot of fun :mrgreen:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah after well over a year of not playing shmups Zero Ranger has made its way back into my rotation. I managed 2-2 and then messed around with the new dlc.
My lord, I have come for you.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Finally got my Karous normal 1cc, and now I'm going for the whole enchilada.
One thing that's really helpful is now I'm able to watch videos (I have a personal rule of no videos until I get a 1cc on my own, and besides, there really are no Karous normal mode vids...), I'm grateful for not having to find the 'M's on my own, and there's MUCH easier methods of negotiating certain things that I was unaware of.

That said, there's is a certain adage I'm finding to be untrue, the "Hard mode is actually easier because there's more enemies to power-up your ABSnet". While the second part is certainly true (there's a lot of enemies), thus far I'm not finding it easier by any stretch of the imagination. Buuuut, I'm pretty confident I can pull it off before the summer's through (and I'm also pretty confident that I will never be able to pull off those score chasing tricks, so there will be none of that), at which point I think I'll keep the Dreamcast exactly where it is and try for the Under Defeat 1cc again (yeah right... People tell me it's possible. People say a lot of things...)

EDIT: Almost forgot, BIG props to M Knight. I've been watching his 3 bil run a lot the past couple weeks (it seems someone else has too) and it has helped SO MUCH. There were a good number of things that I was going about very, very (very) wrong (the less we talk about that goddamn 3rd stage mid-boss, the better).
Last edited by m.sniffles.esq on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

As a recent Arcade Archives pickup, Tube Panic. It's a 1984 tube shooter by Nichibutsu. Searching here I found very little info on it so I'll list some impressions.

I'm not sure if I like this game or not. I like the idea of the tube rotating around you, and the sense of speed you get when accelerating. As the stages progress the on-screen enemy count gets pretty impressive. But the controls are very floaty with lots of inertia which really hurts the experience. The hit box is, of course, what you would expect from 1984, except when it comes to the warp games which I often fly through the middle of but fail to trigger for some reason. I also can't figure out the fire rate; With each button press I sometimes get one, two, or even three shots out of it. Very strange game.
Last edited by Jeneki on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.