Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It's hard to tell for sure because memory can be unreliable, but I definitely remember playing Sagaia in the arcade and it starting on the sun stage - so the version that's simply Darius 2 retitled Sagaia could be real. Or I could be misrembering Sagaia revision 2 due to the amount of Sagaia SMS and Darius 2 Saturn I played in the paat 10 or so years.

The console collection is worth it if you're into Darius 2, because the two Sagaia revisions basically give you a pair of arrange modes. I don't know what's different about the Darius revisions you get or whether they're on the ACA version.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The ACA version of Darius has the same arcade versions that are in the arcade and deluxe versions of the Cozmic Collection.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Wait what, the PS4 AC one is out? Imma get it then, I must revenge bad Saturn Darius II and very good but technically not perfect Saturn DG. But where the fuck is my G-Darius v1.0+2.0 you scheissevogels!

Fuck a console collection, I have deeze things called CARTS n CDs LMAO
miwa

Post by miwa »

steveovig wrote:Did anyone get their physicals yet? I'm still waiting on any sort of shipping confirmation.
I got mine in the mail today (living in Germany...)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Wait what, the PS4 AC one is out? Imma get it then, I must revenge bad Saturn Darius II and very good but technically not perfect Saturn DG. But where the fuck is my G-Darius v1.0+2.0 you scheissevogels!

Fuck a console collection, I have deeze things called CARTS n CDs LMAO
I used a JP account to buy Arcade Archives Darius on the PSN store. As far as I know, it's still not on the US store.

I have the JP Darius II MD on cart and was going back and forth between that and the US Sagaia on flash cart. Aside from the JP cutscenes in Darius II they seemed to be identicial. All of the same strategies worked for both versions, as far as I could tell.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, yeah, had ACA Darius for months now. Still, M2 Darius II and Gaiden are plenty for me. Two more 32bit discs I can finally retire, thanks to M2 and Hamster's superb works this gen.

That's kinda shocking if ACA Darius still isn't on the US PSN. :o I went with a JP account from day 1, good times. I pretty much use my PS4 exclusively for ACA and ShotTriggers, the odd modern STG/R2RKMF like Caladrius and The Ninja Warriors Once Again aside.

Ended up making an EU account for Leynos, because JP was de-listed, but it's a relatively text-heavy game, and EU was dirt cheap besides, so that was cool. Haven't logged back into it since. No guilt, I bought the physical JP at launch years ago Image
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I bought Leynos when it was on sale on the US PSN. I wasn't aware it was delisted.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm 90% sure it's gone from the Japanese PSN, I'd guess due to Dracue sadly going under. Tried every possible search term I could think of, no dice... it's one hell of a game to go out on, glad it's still online in some capacity.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I checked and it's still on the US store, at least.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Just popping in to reiterate that Sagaia AC, both V1 and V2, are far more than just tweaked versions. Though they run in the same engine they have completely different stage layouts and boss patterns from Darius II. Sagaia V1 has short stages about half the length of Darius II, and is somewhat easier overall as a result. V2 is almost like a full on sequel to Darius II, with more elaborate backgrounds, completely new full-length stages, reworked bosses. Comparing Darius II and V2 is a lot like comparing Dariusburst PSP and Dariusburst Another Chronicle. Same engine, different game. If you are a fan of Darius II, V2 in particular is a must play title in the series, and it's my favorite of the "trilogy".

The three versions of Darius 1 however are essentially the same game with tweaks.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

*Spit-take* Those console collection prices! Such a shame, as they had a chance to share these games with a whole new audience...
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Jonpachi wrote:*Spit-take* Those console collection prices! Such a shame, as they had a chance to share these games with a whole new audience...
This. Don't know what kind of shit they're thinking that more than a few dozen people in the West would buy these collections at these prices. However, pretty typical Japan.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

In a bit of mild self-awareness the PS4 version of the console collection was lowered from $80 to $60 to match the Switch price.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... CCCONSOLE0
neon guide

Post by neon guide »

miwa wrote:
steveovig wrote:Did anyone get their physicals yet? I'm still waiting on any sort of shipping confirmation.
I got mine in the mail today (living in Germany...)
Mine arrived today, in the UK. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, bit the package is very nice.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Nothing here yet (waiting on the PS4 collector's ed), but a pleasant surprise to know they've shipped!
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Still waiting to!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Delivered yesterday while I was out, typical. Where is it? In a wheelie bin? On a neighbour's doorstep? Hidden behind a plant pot? At the gates to an industrial estate a mile away (where IKEA once tried to deliver furniture)? Oh right, propped on a support beam for the porch. Well done DHL you absolute maniacs!

Had a wee go before bed. SMS Sagaia is spot on, slowdown-laden flickering warts and all. Quick attempt at each Darius II/Sagaia revision, mucking around with autofire settings to try and find something comfortable without much success. Will have to hook up the arcade stick anyway because the joycon non-D-pad is a liability, so taptaptaptap might work out better in the long run.

Pretty sure I played Sagaia revision 2 in the arcades back in the day. Short sun-esque level and the boss goes down quickest in this version - I would not have made it through Darius II's sun stage at the age I was. The next stage rips you a new one in comparison though so is definitely when my single credit for 50p ran out. Would have been 1992 because I remember seeing a (scathingly negative) review for Sagaia SMS in Sega Force soon after.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Still haven't gotten any kind of shipping notification here.
neon guide

Post by neon guide »

Having a lot of fun with this so far, and the kids appear to be taking an interest as well, I think it's the fishy boss designs.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Delivered yesterday while I was out, typical. Where is it? In a wheelie bin? On a neighbour's doorstep? Hidden behind a plant pot? At the gates to an industrial estate a mile away (where IKEA once tried to deliver furniture)? Oh right, propped on a support beam for the porch. Well done DHL you absolute maniacs!
Not DHL but I had Amazon leave one on my driveway the other day and mark it as "a secure location".

Then USPS seems to have punched a box until it smashed enough to fit in my mailbox a couple days later.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Darius Cozmic Revelation has been announced!

The two titles (as I thought): G-Darius HD, and DariusBurst: Another Chronicle EX+

https://darius.jp/revelation/
https://www.famitsu.com/news/202006/24200438.html

Pretty exciting news on the shmup home-port front! I hope there's a non-HD version of G-Darius available (for accuracy's sake, pls m2-sama), but the revamped port alone should be excitement enough! I expect ACEX+ will be yet another arrange, this time adding in the exclusive content from Chronicle Saviours mode (it's worth noting that they are porting ACEX, NOT DB: Chronicle Saviours). My wish: a new arrangement that gives you an option to play either a 3-stage campaign, or maybe a 5/6 stage campaign, with all these levels they have lying around!

EDIT: a screenshot
Last edited by EmperorIng on Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Seconding hopes for the original 4:3 G-Darius (both versions pls).

I'll buy the HD one if it's good (assuming it will be if M2 is in charge), but I won't be as happy! In fact, I'll be ASSMAD Image :wink:
Official Site wrote:Scheduled to be released this winter
Nice. Quite the haul if M2's Toaplan stuff shows up in the meantime. (fingies crossed)

Last edited by BIL on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Oh yeah! The fabled v2... Isn't it supposed to be a more 'balanced' version? I can never remember the details.
I'll be assmad too, but I'll keep my pangs away to do some beam-battling with the fossil gang.

It'll be quite a shmup bonanza if the M2 Toaplan and the Darius stuff come out around the same time!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

ACEX+ better have an all-stages mode :twisted:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

It'd be nice to have the content from DBCS, or at least the original PSP Dariusburst available in some form here. If nothing else, they both played in a significantly more accessible aspect ratio.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Though the inclusion of G Darius is great I can’t beleive they don’t include all the remaining Verisons of the saga. Another golden chance buried deep down.
No doubt there will be a third chapter.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Forgive me, what is the difference in this version of DariusBurst vs. the Chronicle Saviours that's been on PS4 for a while now?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

^There isn't enough info on the famitsu article to say really. I guess we will find out more details later.

I'm actually happy that G is getting remastered and not just a straight port. I'd be really surprised if they didn't include the original version, so I'm not too worried about that.

I gotta be honest though, I was really hoping we would see Metal Black as well, even though it isn't technically a Darius game.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

This is wonderful news. The titles indicate that these are entirely new ports, with some additional content in at least one case, so the second Cozmic collection is already far more robust than I expected it to be. I'd have lapped it up anyway but I was half expecting a grab-bag of mobile ports and UK computer turkeys. But yeah, I do hope any aspect ratio changes in HD don't end up affecting the stage layouts and general flow too much...

Before I double-dip on a ridiculously-priced LE again, what are the chances of Strictly Limited picking this one up? :P
FRO

Post by FRO »

sethsez wrote:It'd be nice to have the content from DBCS, or at least the original PSP Dariusburst available in some form here. If nothing else, they both played in a significantly more accessible aspect ratio.
THIS. T'would be a shame to see the original DB locked to PSP, which is why I hope they give us some more options with this second collection. Either way, more opportunity to play G-Darius is good for everyone.