Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Listai

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Listai »

strayan wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: Edit: I see Extrems himself recommends simply using a cheap HDMI to YPbPr converter. Pretty silly since it's going right back to digital with the OSSC
Huh? The OSSC was designed to take analogue signals and output digital.
Yup, but the idea is to get an analogue YPbPr signal from the GC into the OSSC so outside of the OEM component cables (or the Insurrection industries ones) the best way to do that is to use a GCVideo based HDMI solution and convert it back to YPbPr so the OSSC can work its magic.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Ummm GCVideo outputs YPbPr.

Why would anyone wanting to output YPbPr to ossc do so via a HDMI to YPbPr converter?
Listai

Post by Listai »

Syntax wrote:Ummm GCVideo outputs YPbPr.

Why would anyone wanting to output YPbPr to ossc do so via a HDMI to YPbPr converter?
Sorry I’m obviously a little behind the times but what are the options to send a YPbPr signal to an OSSC? Wouldn’t you need to use a GCHD and some component cables or like extreme suggested use a converter with the Carby?
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Unseen wrote:[*]BUT: This does not come for free, support for the separate VSync output and the undocumented mode switch pin had to be disabled on WiiDual. This should affect only a tiny minority of users.
Since the WiiDual 1.0 and 1.1 board revisions have different hardware ID's (and since the 1.0 revision is apparently quite rare) would it be possible for the standard GCVideo releases to only disable VSYNC if using the 1.0 board revision?
citrus3000psi wrote:Hardware WiiDual and WiiDual 1.1 are labeled on the boards. From what I remember without looking back at my notes the initial WiiDual I used an input only IO on one of the H/V sync outputs. So on HW1.1, I swapped pins from the VData[0] to fix the problem.

To keep these separate I created my own hardware ID's for compiling.

So if you previously installed a 3.0 build from one of my compilations you can grab 3.0e from here: http://dansprojects.com/firmware/WiiDual/

The initial WiiDual 1.0 is pretty rear most units are rev 1.1
Just curious, since the GCVideo 3.0 releases hoped to merge support for all hardware types, what are the main differences between the standard GCVideo 3.0e releases and the 3.0e releases on your site? Is the only difference now that your versions still support the H/V Sync outputs on the WiiDual, whereas the standard GCVideo releases dont currently support any VSYNC output?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Link83 wrote:Since the WiiDual 1.0 and 1.1 board revisions have different hardware ID's
They don't, at least not since some people flashed one of the pre-3.0e releases from me to their board with an external tool, ran into weird problems and reported them on my Github page.
(and since the 1.0 revision is apparently quite rare) would it be possible for the standard GCVideo releases to only disable VSYNC if using the 1.0 board revision?
No, the two functions require incompatible I/O standards and that cannot be changed at runtime.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I didn't clarify, but I already have an HDMI modded GameCube, and was looking for a component output solution. Unfortunately the best option seems to be a converter (just not wanting another wall wart power adapter...).

Hopefully the OSSC Pro will resolve this whenever it's out.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Listai wrote:

Sorry I’m obviously a little behind the times but what are the options to send a YPbPr signal to an OSSC? Wouldn’t you need to use a GCHD and some component cables or like extreme suggested use a converter with the Carby?
A scart to component breakout would work fine id imagine.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

bobrocks95 wrote:Pretty silly since it's going right back to digital with the OSSC
what do you think is happening inside of the carby comp cables?
strayan

Post by strayan »

maxtherabbit wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Pretty silly since it's going right back to digital with the OSSC
Exactly.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Just as silly until the OSSC Pro comes around, but at least they were an all-in-one solution without a separate power supply or anything.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Sorry to double post, but does anyone else have the high fidelity version of GBI working with an OSSC and GCVideo-DVI 3.0d + an HDMI to YPbPr Converter? Doesn't want to sync for me.

These settings in particular: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... _Converter
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Unseen, I've got a curveball for you: https://github.com/extremscorner/libogc ... d4ed6cc38c
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:Unseen, I've got a curveball for you: https://github.com/extremscorner/libogc ... d4ed6cc38c
Do you know how much space I have left in hardware and software to detect stuff like that?

Also, 96kHz is useless: 48kHz is already enough to exceed the bandwidth of human hearing.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Unseen wrote:Also, 96kHz is useless: 48kHz is already enough to exceed the bandwidth of human hearing.
In your opinion all upsampling is useless? Nowadays you have audiophile gear advertising the ability to upscale and upsample up to 11.2 MHz :lol: Some people swear it sounds better!

The one benefit that seems realistic is that gear can have an easier time processing (needing less filtering?) with higher sample sources, but who knows.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Unseen wrote:Also, 96kHz is useless: 48kHz is already enough to exceed the bandwidth of human hearing.
But how am I supposed to pass through more of the high frequency garbage a real Game Boy has? :(
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

fernan1234 wrote:In your opinion all upsampling is useless?
No, upsampling before D/A-conversion is a very common (and useful) method to simplify the design of the required reconstruction filter. If you have a 44100 Hz signal and convert it without upsampling, you need a reconstruction filter that "closes up" at 22050 Hz (half sample rate) but still lets everything pass at around 20kHz - designing such a filter is quite hard. By upsampling the signal before conversion to e.g. 88200Hz, you now just need a filter that passes everything at 20kHz and closes at 44100Hz - if the upsampling is done properly, there is no signal present between 22050 and 44100Hz because there wasn't any in the original signal either. Such a filter is much easier to design and implement because the curve is much flatter.

It gets even better: If upsample even more and apply some mathematical trickery, you can generate a signal that only needs a single-bit DAC instead of a 16 bit one - you might remember CD players advertisements talking about "1-bit DACs". This works by ensuring that the noise introduced by reducing the signal from 16 to just 1 bit is concentrated in the part of the spectrum that is higher than the original signal and letting the reconstruction filter remove it. This technique is called delta-sigma-modulation and is the basis for almost any high-quality audio ADC and DAC on the market today.

But for storage or transmission it's just a waste of bits and can even introduce audible artifacts due to intermodulation. This video has some nice demonstrations.
The one benefit that seems realistic is that gear can have an easier time processing (needing less filtering?) with higher sample sources, but who knows.
Yes, some kinds of processing can benefit from higher sample rates - but you would upsample at the point of processing.
Extrems wrote:But how am I supposed to pass through more of the high frequency garbage a real Game Boy has? :(
Maybe Nintendo expected the speaker/headphone to act as a low-pass filter? =)
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Thanks for that post, really informative stuff in there I hadn't considered that precisely.
CrashFan96

Post by CrashFan96 »

How did you do that to the ColecoRGB board? Where did you add the potentiometer on that board?
https://imgur.com/dGSlk4p
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:I'm guessing it's a GTF vs CVT thing? Both are VESA, mind you.
Ended up solving this problem buy buying a DVI to VGA adapter (the oldest looking one I could find) instead of using a HDMI to VGA adapter and it now works perfectly.
copy

Post by copy »

If I'm using the official component cables, should I set the swiss "AVE Compatibility" setting to "CMPV-DOL"?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Yes.
tesla246

Post by tesla246 »

Sorry for bumping this thread but the reason is there seems to be a new internal video solution called GCDigital in the works.

So extrems, if you are still around here, do you remember our little discussion of 4:4:4 RGB video data?

Now previously that was deemed to troublesome/expensive, but I have been thinking :lol: could it work with a man in the middle device...
Let's say you have a pcb (much like SD2SP) that goes into the HI-speed port and connects to the internal board (such as GCvideo or GCDigital hardware).
Could we then achieve true RGB out of the cube, amongst other mods, like maybe 24 bit colour?

Because if it can, I could see the following benefits of such a mod:

-Less expensive and troublesome to realize because the hardware required to do all the work is already there (the internal mod).
-Audio is (presumably also on GCDigital) already taken care of so you have 1 HDMI output.
-Some games may perform certain tasks in the embedded frame buffer like stencil operations and I believe Rebel strike does AA? Those games may cause problems, but for those certain titles, you can turn off the device and fall back on the normal YUV output. This way you have 100% compatibility.

It could be an option for those with internal mods to want the absolute best image quality out of a cube.
With a new internal mod in the works this topic has been on my mind yet again. The GCDigital mod is being developed I believe by PixelFX.co which consists of several people, one of which is citrus3000psi, is he still active here? I have a GCLoader (partly his work) which is excellent.

Anyway, here is the twitter:
https://twitter.com/PixelFXco/status/13 ... 5413192708
tesla246

Post by tesla246 »

(in the voice of snake, David Hayter) Is it possible?!

Let's hope the answer is equal to the following sentence in that scene.