DonPachi "Satsuei" ROM

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
pegboy

DonPachi "Satsuei" ROM

Post by pegboy »

Long story short, I have come across an undumped (as far as I know at least) DonPachi ROM. From what I can tell, it's intended use was used in order to take pictures/screenshots to show off the game. More on that...see below.

The only differences that are obvious to me, are when you press the 2p start button, it pauses the game (music still plays). Pressing the 1p start button unpauses the game. Probably the coolest thing is that If you press both 1p start and 2p start at the same time, the game lets you play in "edusword mode", aka slow motion (music still plays normally).

This was on the label of the ROM chip: 国内撮影用
google translate: "For domestic shooting"

I believe it is loosely translated to something along the lines of "to be used internally for talking pictures" or something like that. I believe that is why there are pause/unpause buttons, so pictures can be taken. Also, inspecting the ROM, the string "satsuei" appears right after the version number. Apparent this word also appears in Japanese on the ROM label (撮影), which translates to photograph (again, google translate).

So, DDP Campaign Version this is not, but it's something that isn't out there, so I'm deciding to share it. Maybe people with more experience in ROM hacking or inspecting can find some interesting things.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HA2aTX ... sp=sharing

In order to run it, you need to extract the from the zip and place it inside your donpachij.zip file (overwriting the existing one inside).
trap15

Re: DonPachi "Satsuei" ROM

Post by trap15 »

Those are probably the only differences, it was common to make "reviewer" builds for Arcadia and such to let them get good quality screenshots of the game for their coverage. Thanks for sharing though!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Nice, thanks for sharing !
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
MameHaze

Post by MameHaze »

how would you like to be credited?
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Is it this one?
http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?top ... 7#msg32137

Looks like it went to Gamest, perhaps amongst others. Cool item.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Macross II Gamest edition behaves exactly like this too, I think it was to take your screenshot of your score so you can submit to them.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

No, they're for the magazine themselves for capturing screenshots.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

MameHaze wrote:how would you like to be credited?
What are the options lol? Honestly, I don't really care about being credited, I just wanted to give something back to the community. Far too often people are hoarding shit like this for no absolutely no reason whatsoever (or bad reasons).

I would also like to get my SDOJ dumped at some point as well, but unfortunately I have no idea how to go about doing it.
yosai

Post by yosai »

Thanks for dumping and sharing this. :D
FRO

Post by FRO »

Awesome to see stuff like this still being discovered and dumped. Thanks for the contribution!
MameHaze

Post by MameHaze »

pegboy wrote:
What are the options lol? Honestly, I don't really care about being credited, I just wanted to give something back to the community. Far too often people are hoarding shit like this for no absolutely no reason whatsoever (or bad reasons).

I would also like to get my SDOJ dumped at some point as well, but unfortunately I have no idea how to go about doing it.
Well, you can provide a real name, or I can just put pegboy, or I can just make it an anonymous submission. Default is to just use forum username.

SDOJ you'd likely need to get it to somebody with good SMT skills, and accept that there's always a risk dealing with such things.

Sean Riddle, based in the US, who has been doing a lot of the Plug and Play work is likely tooled up for it ( http://www.seanriddle.com/ ) but you'd have to make it clear you would also want the board back, and that it's rather valuable. He also tends to have very busy 'real life' periods, so no guarantee it would even be processed quickly (some stuff I've sent him has taken a year to be looked at)

Team Europe, based in Austria can also deal with that kind of thing ( https://team-europe.blogspot.com/ ) and typically process things more quickly, but again you'd have to let them know you want it back in working condition.

In all cases you'd want to be showing them in photos what they have to deal with first tho.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

You can just credit it to "PEG".
MameHaze wrote:
pegboy wrote:

Well, you can provide a real name, or I can just put pegboy, or I can just make it an anonymous submission. Default is to just use forum username.

SDOJ you'd likely need to get it to somebody with good SMT skills, and accept that there's always a risk dealing with such things.

Sean Riddle, based in the US, who has been doing a lot of the Plug and Play work is likely tooled up for it ( http://www.seanriddle.com/ ) but you'd have to make it clear you would also want the board back, and that it's rather valuable. He also tends to have very busy 'real life' periods, so no guarantee it would even be processed quickly (some stuff I've sent him has taken a year to be looked at)

Team Europe, based in Austria can also deal with that kind of thing ( https://team-europe.blogspot.com/ ) and typically process things more quickly, but again you'd have to let them know you want it back in working condition.

In all cases you'd want to be showing them in photos what they have to deal with first tho.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Real cool seeing stuff like this showing up this long after the game was released. Thanks a lot for dumping it!
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

pegboy wrote:

Not to belittle your previous effort, but THAT would be something the comunity would really be thankful for (and you should be credited for both) :shock:
MameHaze

Post by MameHaze »

It would definitely help a few people out there if it happens.

I've had a several over the years ask for assistance in repairing SDOJ boards that have failed, expecting the MAME developers to somehow have a copy of the NAND ROM to help them fix their PCB, only for them to then fly off the handle when I've said I don't and that maybe they should have been the one to have backed it up if they felt their board was worth so much to them. Lots of people who expect, but very few who actually do what's needed.

We even ended up buying a PCB claiming to be an 'untested' SDOJ (and marked as such with supporting materials, so very likely an original SDOJ at one point) for $50 a couple of years back, but it seemed to be a board that had failed, where the owner, realising there were no SDOJ ROMs about, had tried to repair it by converting it to an older game, but had done a terrible job of the soldering, then offloaded it for next to nothing thinking it was completely broken (when in reality there were just a few bad solder joints on the NAND and entirely incorrectly programmed sound ROMs - booted to a DFK with those fixed) That isn't the first time that's happened either - sometimes these Cave boards in non-working state get sold for next to nothing as unknown bootleg PCBs, as they look quite like generic bootlegs with the CPU + FPGA setup.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

MameHaze wrote:
We even ended up buying a PCB claiming to be an 'untested' SDOJ (and marked as such with supporting materials, so very likely an original SDOJ at one point) for $50 a couple of years back, but it seemed to be a board that had failed, where the owner, realising there were no SDOJ ROMs about, had tried to repair it by converting it to an older game.

Had it been the real deal, Sdoj would now be emulated, and the mame Cave collection (excluding the ultra rare alternate versions) complete and safe for all time :D
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

So will this DP Satsuei rom work with the USA region DP pcb that was released by Atlus USA themselves as well?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~