Taxon Scart Switch V1 is ready to order

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
chrholder

Taxon Scart Switch V1 is ready to order

Post by chrholder »

Hi all

We have redesigned our Taxon Scart Switch according to customer wishes and this is what we have now:

Short overview:
- 8 inputs
- 2 outputs
- direct connection to Sony BVM/PVM Monitors
- Automatic Switching
- Manual rotary switch for input selection
- Support for Retro Gaming Scart Cables (Pure sync 5V pp max only!)

To answer some questions:
- No component conversion inside switch, you get the different colors from RGB over the RCA outputs
- You can use component signals but the switch was not designed for them (no guarantee it works well)

You can order here:
https://taxon-tools.com/shop/video/scart/scart.html

We will produce after payment and it takes a while to produce filament in the requested color and print the housing. The PCBs are ready and tested so far.

I am happy to answer your questions.
JigsawMan

Re: Taxon Scart Switch V1 is ready to order

Post by JigsawMan »

Hi,

Looks interesting. What are the sync levels on SCART and RCA outputs (75 Ω csync or TTL csync)?

What advantages does this have over something like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000259875086.html ?
I'm in the market for a new SCART switch box in the next couple of months to replace my daisy chained Hama SCART switchers that I have had for 20+ years.

thx!
chrholder

Post by chrholder »

JigsawMan wrote: Looks interesting. What are the sync levels on SCART and RCA outputs (75 Ω csync or TTL csync)?
thx!
It is designed for 75 Ω csync. But if you input TTL csync (I remind 5V max!), you will get that on the output. There is no conversion. Goal of the switch is to make no difference at all if it is in the line.

The other device is as far as I can see a manual switcher with Component Video Conversion. Our device is auto switching with the option of manual switching. You can in theory daisy chain 100 Taxon Scart Switches and there will be no change in the signal, however, I don't see any amplification components in the other switch so with every chain signal gets weaker. This is guessing because I don't own the other switch.

But just saying, we have no chance to compete with Chinese products for the prices.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Anyone picked one of these up yet? Love the hell out of the design, would love to hear some people's opinions/see this thing get some more shine. When I've got a bit more $$$ saved up I should definitely get one, the RCA RGBS+Audio on the 2nd output is a real nice touch...
chrholder

Post by chrholder »

kitty666cats wrote:Anyone picked one of these up yet? Love the hell out of the design, would love to hear some people's opinions/see this thing get some more shine. When I've got a bit more $$$ saved up I should definitely get one, the RCA RGBS+Audio on the 2nd output is a real nice touch...
We have sent one to Bob of Retro RGB so hopefully you will get more external insights soon.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

From where are you shipping it? Switzerland?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Look interesting for CRT owners.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
chrholder

Post by chrholder »

Overkill wrote:From where are you shipping it? Switzerland?
Yes the switch will be shipped from Switzerland. Shipping cost will be calculated in our shop depending on the destination country.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

chrholder wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Anyone picked one of these up yet? Love the hell out of the design, would love to hear some people's opinions/see this thing get some more shine. When I've got a bit more $$$ saved up I should definitely get one, the RCA RGBS+Audio on the 2nd output is a real nice touch...
We have sent one to Bob of Retro RGB so hopefully you will get more external insights soon.
Looking forward to it! I've been rooting for you ever since I saw your switch on eBay a few months back, always happy to see more people making these helpful units :)
chrholder

Post by chrholder »

So there is a review of Bob visible here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeMPPyJAM_w

A few additions:
- We could reproduce and have fixed the audio problem and tested it throughfully. New units will get this update immediately.
- We checked the video level problem and our scope was just not that accurate (because it is too old). So we bought a new scope which will help us to set the video levels accurate and fix this problem. New units will get this update immediately.
- The orange version for Bob was a prototype print without using dry boxes. New units will have a shiny uniform look in color.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Larsen B

Post by Larsen B »

I received mine today and have messed around with it for around an hour.

I'm certainly not as sensitive as a professional needs to be but, as a retro dabbler who plays on a Sony PVM, everything's working just great for me. No audio buzz and I've not noticed a drop in brightness. It took me a minute to realise what A meant in the input dial and why input 2 was superseding input 1. And to add to me being an idiot, in the course of setting it up I realised I only have 3 RCA to BCN adapters so I've not been able to use the specific output I bought it for but the Scart output is doing the job just fine for now.

Now to label my Scart leads because I'm already getting confused on which black cable leads where...
chrholder

Post by chrholder »

Larsen B wrote:No audio buzz and I've not noticed a drop in brightness. It took me a minute to realise what A meant in the input dial and why input 2 was superseding input 1. And to add to me being an idiot, in the course of setting it up I realised I only have 3 RCA to BCN adapters so I've not been able to use the specific output I bought it for but the Scart output is doing the job just fine for now.
We are glad to hear that. Your device already contains our updates so they seem to work as expected. Yes, the sync line is often overlooked for the PVMs, but this is an easy fix :)
chrholder

Post by chrholder »

For anyone still interested to buy a Taxon Scart Switch but want to save some money we are proud to announce our special Black Friday Offer until Cyber Monday with 6 pre-produced units in various colors. The offer is limited. After Cyber Monday, the special offer will be removed.

(Page will be activated at 08:00 MEZ GMT + 1!)
English: https://www.taxon-tools.com/shop/video/ ... ecial.html
German: https://taxon-tools.ch/shop/video/scart ... ecial.html

If you order before 15:00 MEZ GMT + 1 your switch will be shipped next day. For all orders after 15:00 MEZ GMT + 1 your switch will be shipped a week later.

An information for US customers: We had to raise shipping cost a bit because we experienced a lot of transport damages so we need a lot more bubble wrap and other fill material to savely ship our switches over the ozean.