New Metal Slug game set for 2020

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

New Metal Slug game set for 2020

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.siliconera.com/new-metal-sl ... 0-release/

Could we finally get Metal Slug 8 this year? Also, a mobile game is in development. I think we may get more information on June 23rd at the New Game+ Expo...
MathU

Re: New Metal Slug game set for 2020

Post by MathU »

Not sure how to feel about this. Cautious optimism? Crushing pessimism? After all, SNK sold out King of Fighters to the 3D menace, and I've been concerned ever since that they would disrespect Metal Slug with another awful 3D game. I'm one of the rare breed of whom is both a hardcore Metal Slug fan and of the opinion that 7 is one of the best overall games in the series. I disagree that Metal Slug without Nazca isn't worth playing, SNK's new team took a while to prove they knew how to make a great game but they finally succeeded with 7. And I've always thought it was tragic that SNK didn't try to follow up on the talent that put that little gem together. Is there any reason to believe those people would be involved with this new one?

Either I'm going to be delighted that good things still exist in this world, or completely enraged.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

SNK died long long time ago. Now it is just the name brand, and IMO what they are doing it is a non sense. The neo mini, that shitty stick and so on. I wish the old Snk returns but hey I guess that is an impossible dream.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Unless they are doing over-the-top KOF13 style hi-res pixel art, I don't care.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Haven't played much of it, but that game is gorgeous.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

My fingers are crossed. They said the console Metal Slug game will be a 2D side-scrolling shooter like all the others, so my hopes are high.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

SNK Interactive CEO Jeon Se-hwan commented that the mobile and console titles are being developed to target the 10-20 year old and 30-40 year old markets, respectively.
yo we gonna get SAD DAD MARCO?! :lol:

anyway I doubt the console game would be 3D or HD2D instead of just reusing the same sprites they've been re-using for millennia. They seem to have been making jillions of sprites in that same style for the mobile gacha game (Metal Slug Attack) for a while now.
figners crossed for eventual METAL SLUG XXX version
qmish

Post by qmish »

MathU wrote:After all, SNK sold out King of Fighters to the 3D menace
Thing is, KoF 14 is actually good, or at least decent. Sure, it's ugly (though imho, has much better readability then, say, visual mess called Tekken 7 or crazy flashiness called Guilty Gear Xrd) as they don't only lack skills of making good 3d yet also have no idea how do a good artdirection anymore so everything looks like family friendly cheap plastic (yet, once again, i'd consider Street Fighter 5 and especially 4 being much worse atrocities aesthetic-wise!), but it's better game than most other fightings lately.

Surely though, new Metal Slug will be hundred times better than latest Contra from Konami, ha-ha-ha! :twisted: (at least we all got Blazing Chrome instead which is secretly a goty of last year)
MathU

Post by MathU »

Totally forgot that Blazing Chrome existed. Thanks for the reminder, I need to check out how well that runs in Wine already.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

qmish wrote:
MathU wrote:After all, SNK sold out King of Fighters to the 3D menace
Thing is, KoF 14 is actually good, or at least decent. Sure, it's ugly (though imho, has much better readability then, say, visual mess called Tekken 7 or crazy flashiness called Guilty Gear Xrd) as they don't only lack skills of making good 3d yet also have no idea how do a good artdirection anymore so everything looks like family friendly cheap plastic (yet, once again, i'd consider Street Fighter 5 and especially 4 being much worse atrocities aesthetic-wise!), but it's better game than most other fightings lately.
The new SamSho looks decent...a damn sight better than KOF 14. SNK really should consider some sort of partnership with ArcSys.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I still have yet to get KOF XIV and the new Samurai Shodown...
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

7 is one of the best overall games in the series
Gross
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
MathU

Post by MathU »

Why?
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Sumez wrote:Unless they are doing over-the-top KOF13 style hi-res pixel art, I don't care.
Interestingly, I found KOF13 to be committing a couple heinous sins, style-wise.
FX not being pixel at all, but smudgy photoshop 2D. Some badly integrated CG effects in the background (the elephants' heads, for example). If they had really done their 31khz pixel style throughout, fine, but the way it is now it's a mess (in my humble opinion, of course).
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Strider77 wrote:
Gross
You kidding me? I mean, sure, Metal Slug reached its apex with 3 since SNK was nearing bankruptcy at the time and wanted to go out on a blaze of glory, but continued the series when they revived, and lost its mojo with 4, and briefly got it back with 5, but it wasn't until 6 and 7 that they got back on track.
boagman

Post by boagman »

xxx1993 wrote:
Strider77 wrote:
Gross
You kidding me? I mean, sure, Metal Slug reached its apex with 3 since SNK was nearing bankruptcy at the time and wanted to go out on a blaze of glory, but continued the series when they revived, and lost its mojo with 4, and briefly got it back with 5, but it wasn't until 6 and 7 that they got back on track.
I would say that 4, 5, and 6 are all pretty lost, as is X. Seven was OK, but it pales against the first *numerical* three. I own 7, and have played it a good bit, but it doesn't (and really never *has*) "called to me" to play it. 1, 2, and 3 still do. 4, 5, and 6 *actively* turn me off.

Oh, and on a side note: should this really be in this particular forum?
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

While I do agree that Metal Slug 3 is the pinnacle of the series , I cant say that I feel any Metal Slugs not being good games. Maybe its the fan boy in me, But I love Metal Slug 1-6. Never did play 7. Its like me hating on a core Mario or Zelda game. I just cant. As far as this new Metal Slug coming, Im cautiously optimistic. Fingers crossed.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Gamer707b wrote:While I do agree that Metal Slug 3 is the pinnacle of the series , I cant say that I feel any Metal Slugs not being good games. Maybe its the fan boy in me, But I love Metal Slug 1-6. Never did play 7. Its like me hating on a core Mario or Zelda game. I just cant. As far as this new Metal Slug coming, Im cautiously optimistic. Fingers crossed.
It's the fanboy in you. Not that I'm here to crap all over you for being a fanboy...not at all!!! If you like 4-6, dude, hey: good on you, man. I actively started to despise the series after 3, though 7 wasn't as atrocious as the previous three had been. The problem is that they *really* went off the rails in the series, gameplay-wise, after 3. The slide addition really couldn't have been worse, the score multipliers were just plain *dumb*, and the way they screwed around with the characters just messed with my sense of the great tradition of the original(s). If someone wants to tell me that 3 took some things too far, well, I can't really tell them they're wrong, as liberties were certainly taken, but I do not feel that they went too far off the rails in it. With subsequent titles, it was immediately apparent that they *had*. They changed the *nature* of the thing, and that was out of bounds for me...ruined it for me, quite frankly. Those subsequent titles *stain* the name of Metal Slug to me.

I still fully appreciate 1, 2, and 3 for their individual play, for the way that they *feel*, and for their place in history. The rest do not have that same feeling for me.
MathU

Post by MathU »

I feel like most people who bash 6 and 7 while talking up the original three as if they're a set of totally consistent masterpieces really don't play these games seriously (e.g., single-credit clearing or score play) or they let the couple of very disappointing games after 3 cloud their ability to judge them fairly compared to Nazca's games. Did 4 and 5 have some problems? Yes, they sure did. One has infuriating level design and the other can be summarized as a tragically unfinished game. But the original trilogy aren't without their share of flaws either. Stiff controls in the first game tightened up by later entries, broken scoring systems in 2 and 3 especially, cheap bosses in 3, levels that are too long for their own good in 3... Metal Slug 6 doesn't have most of these problems (just ban Clark from score play), although it is a little lacking in content. 7 fixed that content gap right up and assembled what is arguably the best overall assortment of mechanically interesting and fair bosses since the first game. That's why I contend that 7 is the least flawed game in the series.
heli

Post by heli »

Even with HD graphics, you wont get 60 frames animations per second.
I want a 3D graphics version.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

boagman wrote:Oh, and on a side note: should this really be in this particular forum?
Should this be moved to the Off Topic forum? I always considered Contra and Metal Slug to be shmups, though...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

There's a stickied thread with a clear definition of what's on topic for the Shmups Chat subforum here, and Metal Slug is specifically mentioned as not being included. I don't think it's worse discussed in this thread though, just leave it to mods to move the thread. Who cares what subforum a thread is in anyway. :)
Enough about that.

I kind of agree with MathU here. It's easy to see which are the top titles of the series, but they are absolutely not without their issues. I've always loved the games, but never really bothered with 1CC attempts. It wasn't until I went into that, that I found out how many little things actually annoyed me about MS1 especially. MS3's issues are a little more obvious, and pretty well documented as it is. This doesn't mean they aren't great games of course.

I haven't played 4-7 extensively, and was also turned off from 4 and 5 back in the days, but I trust people who put the time into 4 especially (paging BIL), who point out that if you give it the chance, it's actually a great game.
It's easy to take a few looks at it, notice how obviously lazy it is in the art department especially, and then just run with the internet consensus that it's a terrible game rather than trying to form your own opinion. I'd gladly admit to immediately dismissing it back when it came out, but I've definitely never played it enough to form a genuinely constructive opinion.
Metal Slug 6 I've only seen videos of, but I can't shake the feeling that it looks boring as hell. Metal Slug 7 looks a lot of fun though, and I can't wait to put into it some time eventually. If you wanna criticize the game, at least bring some points to the table.
schleichfahrt wrote:
Sumez wrote:Unless they are doing over-the-top KOF13 style hi-res pixel art, I don't care.
Interestingly, I found KOF13 to be committing a couple heinous sins, style-wise.
FX not being pixel at all, but smudgy photoshop 2D. Some badly integrated CG effects in the background (the elephants' heads, for example). If they had really done their 31khz pixel style throughout, fine, but the way it is now it's a mess (in my humble opinion, of course).
Right, but I specifically pointed out the pixel art of KOF13 :P
I agree that non-pixely effects or backgrounds of any sorts have absolutely no place in a Metal Slug game.
heli

Post by heli »

They can have a nice cartoon look to the 3D graphics, everybody happy.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I played every Metal Slug game because they're all very similar to each other. It's like the original Mega Man games on the NES.
heli

Post by heli »

Offtopic : PSX has the best megaman games without slowdown.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

heli wrote:They can have a nice cartoon look to the 3D graphics, everybody happy.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just don't make it like the 2006 game for the PS2 at least. We don't need the characters to look like Team America: World Police.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Sumez wrote:...I trust people who put the time into 4 especially (paging BIL), who point out that if you give it the chance, it's actually a great game.
Someone with a one-life clear with max prisoners and a respectable score speaking here. The sprite and stage background recycling is the most surface-level critique of 4's problems. The real problem with 4 is the level design. Enemies are placed in spots that often feel unfair and require counter-intuitive or snail-like progression to tackle. The game is also pretty much broken when it comes to scoring. I have difficulty ignoring score play in games and it just made it that much more of a slog to finally beat. Level design in a number of areas encourages some very boring and tedious enemy milking (often not the type that rewards creative setup, just we made a billion enemies spawn here, sit there and knife them), and every single boss in the game has some sort of serious milking problem because they gave them projectiles or infinitely spawning enemies that actually give points for destruction (thank god I had the fortitude to resist getting sucked into that at least). I can't imagine anyone retaining their sanity after really going all in with score play in 4. When I was going through all the Metal Slug games trying to clobber them from first to last, 4 stopped me cold in my tracks and killed my motivation for a long time, even after I beat it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

To be honest, all of that doesn't sound completely unlike Metal Slug 3 :)
MathU

Post by MathU »

Indeed, especially the zombie parts. And while 3 has some interesting score setups that feel rewarding to discover, the sheer length of the game can suck the joy out of them. At least 3 only has two bosses with serious milking problems.