Psikyo games coming to Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Psikyo games coming to Steam

Post by BrianC »

Gunbird 1 also seems to be based on the PS2 version (PS1 and Saturn have the correct palette for loop 2, but PS2 doesn't) and I wouldn't be surprised if the others were too.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

I've played quite a bit of Sengoku Ace lately, and its Steam port is also definitely based on the PS2 version (played it on PS2 before). Today I've tried a few credits in MAME and noticed some differences:
  • enemies fire bullets more frequently in Arcade version
  • projectiles are a bit faster in Arcade version
Yet the PS2/Steam ports are overall harder for my taste because of these flaws:
  • Projectiles are often aimed in a weirder and more imprecise way at (or away from) you in the port. It seems less predictable. In the Arcade version I dodged a few patterns first try which I've barely ever done in the ports (for example 1-6 boss). Pillar boss is also much better routable in Arcade version.
  • Rank drops way more considerably in Arcade version after a death. Port doesn't reduce the rank much.
  • In the port you can't hit enemies or boss parts which are ANYWAY near the top of the screen. Some boss fights drag on quite a bit because you can't damage them for prolonged periods. Speedkilling (for example the water level boss parts or all those tank enemies) is also not possible on the ports for the exact same reason.
I always wondered why the game design feels so cheap in that last aspect, but never knew that it's only a problem of the ports and that the Arcade version is fine. Well...

Good thing in the ports is the eliminated slowdown (appearing island in 1-4 and floor falling down in 1-6).

I still generally like the fact of Psikyo games coming to Steam, but still I wish that their source material was better. :(
AZA

Post by AZA »

this is weird. it seems like it would actually take MORE effort to port the PS2 versions than it would to just use the arcade ROMs
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

How the heck do ports end up with just as much or MORE input lag than emulations?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

'Cause they need to deal with the usual OS/hardware layers, I guess. An emulation doesn't have more latency per se.

this is weird. it seems like it would actually take MORE effort to port the PS2 versions than it would to just use the arcade ROMs
Even weirder when you remember that the PS2 versions weren't by Psikyo, but by Taito (and Atlus).

Battletoad wrote:Yet the PS2/Steam ports are overall harder for my taste because of these flaws:
  • Projectiles are often aimed in a weirder and more imprecise way at (or away from) you in the port. It seems less predictable. In the Arcade version I dodged a few patterns first try which I've barely ever done in the ports (for example 1-6 boss). Pillar boss is also much better routable in Arcade version.
  • Rank drops way more considerably in Arcade version after a death. Port doesn't reduce the rank much.
  • In the port you can't hit enemies or boss parts which are ANYWAY near the top of the screen. Some boss fights drag on quite a bit because you can't damage them for prolonged periods. Speedkilling (for example the water level boss parts or all those tank enemies) is also not possible on the ports for the exact same reason.
And all this time believing that the PS2 version was using emulation in some degree. Didn't know there were so many differentiations! Is that the standard for the rest of Taito's versions of the Psikyo titles for the PS2?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

AZA wrote:this is weird. it seems like it would actually take MORE effort to port the PS2 versions than it would to just use the arcade ROMs
This is not the case, it's almost always easier to port a port than to create a new emulation-based port.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

trap15 wrote:This is not the case, it's almost always easier to port a port than to create a new emulation-based port.
Sadly, this seems to have been the story of Strikers 1945 II ports, ever since the PS2 comp recycled the PS1 port. :| The Greatest Generation (aka M2 & Gotch) would never behave so shitbirdly. :evil:
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

With the PS1-to-PS2 port makes sense in a dirty way because it doesn't need any extra work, but this PS2-to-Switch-to-Windows story with different developers and publishers involved is kind of nuts, actually.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Problem is some of the ports to PS2 actually messed up things that were done right in previous ports (like the second loop of Gunbird 1).
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

Great news! I would love to see Dragon Blaze on Steam.
Neorebel

Post by Neorebel »

You know when you think about how since the beginning of home consoles, a core part of it had been about bringing the arcade experience home. It's absurd that after 40 years or so of technological advances and the hobby becoming interesting to the general masses, that lazy and sub par arcade ports still exist. I guess spending the time to do it from scratch is not profitable like the next iteration of Assassin's Creed is or whatever. Sorry for complaining, I admit I don't know anything about what really goes into it
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

So long as enough people keep buying subpar ports like these, there's no really need for them to improve (in particular when doing it well would require so much effort in comparison), I don't think there's much more to it. If even in a forum like this there're so many people reporting their purchases, it's not hard to understand that these releases are doing well for them and their investment.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Tengai is out on Steam now. I guess the question is (since I don't have it), what were the main differences from the PCB in the PS2 port? :P
miwa

Post by miwa »

Am I assuming correctly that neither of the Psikyo Steam ports offer save/load states or level selects?
qmish

Post by qmish »

Anyone knows what today update of Strikers 1945 brought?
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

miwa wrote:Am I assuming correctly that neither of the Psikyo Steam ports offer save/load states or level selects?
That's right.
miwa

Post by miwa »

Battletoad wrote:
miwa wrote:Am I assuming correctly that neither of the Psikyo Steam ports offer save/load states or level selects?
That's right.
Too bad, I would've gladly bought several titles again if they offered save states...
DazTM

Post by DazTM »

No save states seems a ridiculous omission in this day and age. What a bizarre decision.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Samurai Aces III is out now. And the store page for Sol Divide is up https://store.steampowered.com/app/1279 ... d=36303858
versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

almost bought the Strikers ports until I saw how barebones and poor quality they are. if they had all three (or four, with the strikers 1945 plus as bonus DLC) in one release at $30 and had remote play, saves, online leaderboards, in fact everything that the Mushihimesama port has, then i'd buy it.
very unfortunate as i'd like to support them so they keep releasing more, but, i don't want low quality either. it's a tough position to be in as a shmup fan.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

I dunno, as a shmup fan the release of shmups feels pretty good to me. But maybe I'm in error for enjoying them for what they offer rather than complaining about what they don't :?:
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

not offering at least level select is crazy. I was thinking about getting Gunbird 2, but not anymore
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Dragon Blaze out
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

So are any of these any good? Or are they all borked? Would've bought the Gunbird games if they didn't screw with them, sad to hear.
qmish

Post by qmish »

My Dragon Blaze refuses to provide me with english language option, even after updates that supposedly fixed it (it did, for someone from Germany), even after many restarts AND reinstall.

I cant read japanese, so... hints and menus are no-no.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

DietSoap wrote:So are any of these any good? Or are they all borked? Would've bought the Gunbird games if they didn't screw with them, sad to hear.
I have bought the majority of them on Steam and although they are not arcade perfect, they still are fun in short bursts and $10 to me isn't too much to ask for what they are.

I managed to at least 1-ALL Samurai Aces and was up to 3rd on the leaderboard. When comparing parts of the 2nd loop against some youtube videos emulating the arcade ROM I did notice some slight differences. I forgot what the details were, but they weren't game breaking by any means. Like most others have already said in this thread, most of these games are based on the PS2 ports.

Also, by turning vsync off or using G-Sync/Freesync the input lag is MUCH better than the Switch ports. With regular vsync turned on though it feels pretty close to the same as the Switch.

I just wish there were options for save states or stage select.
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

Is there any reason to get these? I don't really want to pay £10 each for straight ports of 20 year old arcade games

I miss the old Degica Cave ports
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

I went ahead and bought the Gunbird port, it looks nice, the musics a bit different, there's not much more than what you can get from a MAME Rom but it's nice to have it in Steam, and its £7 so I'd expect something pretty barebones

Would be nice if they could chuck a few of these games into a bundle with save states / extra modes etc
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I noticed Strikers 1945 updated. I checked the game and there's an option for Consumer and Arcade endings that I didn't notice before. I'm guessing this is what was added? Uncensored arcade endings for the PC version? One interesting thing with the "consumer" endings is that some of them are complete different images rather than simply being edited versions of the AC endings (though a couple of them are that).
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

BIL wrote:
trap15 wrote: Sadly, this seems to have been the story of Strikers 1945 II ports, ever since the PS2 comp recycled the PS1 port. :| The Greatest Generation (aka M2 & Gotch) would never behave so shitbirdly. :evil:
What games has gotch done please