The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Fudoh »

how so? What's the advantage?
strayan

Post by strayan »

Fudoh wrote:how so? What's the advantage?
My CRT won’t accept 720x480 but is happy with 640x480
My Old LCD TV added image processing and overscan to 720x480 which you couldn’t disable but displayed 640x480 1:1 without the same image processing.
My old plasma TV squeezed 720x480 inputs into a 4:3 aspect ratio but left 640x480 signals alone.

Basically compatibility issues with my equipment.

I’m also hoping the OSSC Pro will have an easier time line tripling 640x480 to 1440p too.

Edit: on a side note, one of my pet peeves is the way all video processors I have ever tried handle 720x480p from sources such as gcvideo. IMO it is extremely irritating. The right way is IMO is how the Extron 301 HD and Crestron HD scaler handle it - displaying 720x480 with the correct 3:2 aspect ratio. Again, IMO, the 3:2 aspect ratio of 720x480 should either be preserved or should simply be cropped to 4:3 instead of being squeezed into 4:3 (I understand that for some games part of the image could get cropped off). I get that video processors were never designed with gaming or bizarre aftermarket/homebrew configurations like mine in mind, but damn, it’s frustrating! /rant
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

strayan wrote:The right way is IMO is how the Extron 301 HD and Crestron HD scaler handle it - displaying 720x480 with the correct 3:2 aspect ratio.
That is completely wrong. CEA/Bt.601 720x480 is either 4:3 or 16:9, but never 3:2.

Square pixels are just a special case that was standardized upon because they simplify some image generation/processing tasks.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

That is completely wrong
indeed. Ever really tried to watch a DVD in 1.5:1 aspect ratio ? With squeezed heads and everything included ?
strayan

Post by strayan »

Unseen wrote: That is completely wrong. CEA/Bt.601 720x480 is either 4:3 or 16:9, but never 3:2.
That’s precisely what I find annoying, the standard itself. I don’t imagine when it was originally conceived they expected people be trying to line triple 240 × 160 (3:2) Gameboy Advance games paired with awesome gamecube homebrew and opensource hardware projects :wink: to enable DVI out.

The Extron and Crestron displays 720x480 3:2 GBA content flawlessly with square pixels: https://imgur.com/steFOg3

If there is another processor or scaler or solution to do this with less latency I’d love to know.
Last edited by strayan on Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Probably the only real use case out there :mrgreen:

And the 301 really doesn't assume a 4:3 ratio for this kind of input ? I mean you get flexible controls anyway, so it doesn't really matter, but it should still recognize a common NTSC resolution like this.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

strayan wrote:I don’t imagine when it was originally conceived they expected people be trying to line triple 240 × 160 (3:2) Gameboy Advance games paired with awesome gamecube homebrew and opensource hardware projects :wink: to enable DVI out.
Indeed, when it was originally conceived the Gameboy Advance did not exist. Even the classic monochrome Gameboy did not exist yet - the first version of Bt.601, which is where the 720x480/720x576 formats come from was originally issued in 1982, before even the Famicom was launched. Back then rectangular pixels were much more common than today.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Fudoh wrote:And the 301 really doesn't assume a 4:3 ratio for this kind of input ?
Nope. You gotta adjust it every time for gamecube games and even between games because clearly not all game devs at the time were working with the same target resolution or aspect ratio in mind. 720x480, while it made sense in the past, now just annoys me.

Extrems reckons it’s possible to ad linear interpolation on the frame-buffer to fix some of the other AR issues I’ve encountered if your setup treats 720x480 as having square pixels.

At the moment though I’m too frightened to hassle him about it given the magnitude of work he already puts into SWISS, plus he’s already helped me a ton in the past. At the end of the day an additional 8ms of lag and twisting some dials on the Extron won’t kill me :mrgreen:
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I haven't forgotten about it, it's just tied up to a massive rewrite that'll amount to statically relinking a library.
strayan wrote:I don’t imagine when it was originally conceived they expected people be trying to line triple 240 × 160 (3:2) Gameboy Advance games paired with awesome gamecube homebrew and opensource hardware projects :wink: to enable DVI out.
To be honest, that's not something I expect people to do either.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:I haven't forgotten about it, it's just tied up to a massive rewrite that'll amount to statically relinking a library.
To be honest, that's not something I expect people to do either.
But it works perfect Extrems, perfect! No better way to play GBA IMO. I just assumed that was why the 3:2 option in GBI was there to begin with.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It's a "you can do this, but I don't expect you to do it" kind of thing, and it's often misused. :(
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

So I was looking at PS1 RGB/comp cable options. HD Retrovision isn't available until who knows when (plus I don't want to pay $80 if I can help it) and Retro Access isn't doing anything until July. Are there other good, decent quality options out there?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm also looking for that info. I need one with DE-15 plug

(I'm also wondering : is the cable made for both PS1 and PS2, compromised in some way? like, with the resistor values it has, is it perfect video level for both consoles? or just for one of them? or perfect for none ( jack of all trades master of none)?)
Last edited by FinalBaton on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm also looking for that info. I need one with DE-15 plug

(I'm also wondering : is the cable made for both PS1 and PS2, compromised in some way? like, with the resistor values it has, is it perfect video level for both consoles?
I think the PS1 cable has capacitors in it. 220uf inline if you wanna roll your own.

Steamflogger Boss wrote:So I was looking at PS1 RGB/comp cable options. HD Retrovision isn't available until who knows when (plus I don't want to pay $80 if I can help it) and Retro Access isn't doing anything until July. Are there other good, decent quality options out there?
Wookieewin on ebay is amazing. Also will build to order if you contact. https://www.ebay.com/usr/wookieewin?_tr ... 7675.l2559
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

vol.2 wrote:I think the PS1 cable has capacitors in it.
It does indeed. but there's a common design that has caps in it (of larger value I think) that accomodates both consoles. These are marketed ''for both PS1 and PS2''. I'm just wondering if the video levels are perfect for both consoles with such a cable, or if there's a compromise here
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote:
vol.2 wrote:I think the PS1 cable has capacitors in it.
It does indeed. but there's a common design that has caps in it (of larger value I think) that accomodates both consoles. These are marketed ''for both PS1 and PS2''. I'm just wondering if the video levels are perfect for both consoles with such a cable, or if there's a compromise here
AFAIK, PS2 has no caps in it. Straight passthru. Some people just get the PS1 cables and use them for both, which I don't think is bad, but I can't see any reason anyone would up the value. I think the PS1 needs them because the signal is janky and weak otherwise.
Can't see a huge issue with the PS2 having double the caps, but I could be wrong.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah was wondering about using such cable with caps, for the PS2

looks like there's no harm for PS2
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote: looks like there's no harm for PS2
I use a ps1 cable with sync on luma for my PS2. I've never had any issues with it on any system.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

wrote to Wookiewin as recommended, regarding a custom RGB cable, and he answered ''I don't make console cables''...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

FinalBaton wrote:wrote to Wookiewin as recommended, regarding a custom RGB cable, and he answered ''I don't make console cables''...
Welp. I'm not seeing anything that looks good on eBay so it looks like I'm waiting for Retro Access.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Welp. I'm not seeing anything that looks good on eBay so it looks like I'm waiting for Retro Access.
yeah same. I like her cables anyway so I'm willing to wait this out
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote:wrote to Wookiewin as recommended, regarding a custom RGB cable, and he answered ''I don't make console cables''...
Sorry, I must have mixed it up with a different seller. I guess I had wookieewin make a scart to BNC or some such cable.

I just did a search for it, and I figured out my mistake. I purchased the PS cable from https://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories

Who does not appear to have anything for sale at the moment. Could try contacting her. There is a review of her cables on VGP: https://videogameperfection.com/2014/07 ... le-review/
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yep she's my go-to(bought all my cables from her)! just waiting for the site to show cables back in stock on july 12th.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
strayan

Post by strayan »

vol.2 wrote: I just did a search for it, and I figured out my mistake. I purchased the PS cable from https://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories

Who does not appear to have anything for sale at the moment. Could try contacting her
This is the ebay account for https://retro-access.com/
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

strayan wrote:
This is the ebay account for https://retro-access.com/
ok. gotcha. didn't realize it was the same person. makes sense.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I've seen linuxbot3000 (New Zealand guy, jamvanderloeff on CRT Reddit) make people custom cables on eBay once in a while, could maybe try hitting him up. There's probably several people on this very board who'd also make one, couldn't hurt making a thread about it either in here or in 'Wanted'
peterwright1234

Post by peterwright1234 »

What is currently the best way to get emulators like mame in 240p on my bvm d24? note: i currently have my pc hooked up to the bvm hdmi>hdfury>extron>bvm
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

peterwright1234 wrote:What is currently the best way to get emulators like mame in 240p on my bvm d24? note: i currently have my pc hooked up to the bvm hdmi>hdfury>extron>bvm
That answer will be different, depending on who you talk to.

IMHO, going from a PC is a good option, but I have used crt emudriver to drive at 15kHz directly from a DVI-I port. It only works with AMD card the last time I checked, but you can buy an older card that will work well enough for cheap.

After that, I also use a RPi4 with Lakka and a retrotink ultimate. You can set a 3840x240 modeline for the dpi24 interface and you get mad sharp horizontal super-resolution. This is necessary because the Pi's GPIO line traces are not well-placed and you get too much cross-talk at lower pixel clocks. In any case, the result is stunning to my eyes. Really, anything as high as 2440x240 mitigates the issue if you are having performance issues. Personally, this is my favorite way to do retroarch on a crt because I enjoy tinkering around with the Pi and it's a lot easier to scrap it and start over than it is a PC. (try screwing up your video drivers on your main PC!) That being said, it can take a good bit of tinkering around to get it going as there isn't a single guide to doing to right on the web. The information is all scattered around in comments and the necessary distros don't always have stable versions, etc.

Disclaimer: Other people seem to use the pi with an hdmi to vga adapter, but this approach only works if you disable 3D acceleration on the GPU because when you output over HDMI the kernel forces modedb to "guess" the resolution based on your modeline. In my testing, this supersedes even custom EDIDs inserted into the /boot folder, etc.

Lastly would be using a console or some other TV box style device. I can't comment on all that because I don't do it, but I understand the PS3 had a good early port of Retroarch and that largely drove it's development. Don't know how the performance stacks up today, or how easy it is to get the correct signal out of it (or any other console)
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Recently I installed a v0.3 Triple Bypass in a VA3 Genesis 2, and while it works very well, it doesn't seem to work with the 32X on my OSSC. At first I thought the 32X was at fault, but it works perfectly fine in an unmodified Japanese Mega Drive 2 so I can rule that out. Continuity is good on all my connections and I also lifted the RGB output pins on the CXA1645 so the stock RGB output is cut off. My RGB cable uses composite video for sync. Anyone have any ideas?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ApolloBoy wrote:Recently I installed a v0.3 Triple Bypass in a VA3 Genesis 2, and while it works very well, it doesn't seem to work with the 32X on my OSSC. At first I thought the 32X was at fault, but it works perfectly fine in an unmodified Japanese Mega Drive 2 so I can rule that out. Continuity is good on all my connections and I also lifted the RGB output pins on the CXA1645 so the stock RGB output is cut off. My RGB cable uses composite video for sync. Anyone have any ideas?
The 32x needs to receive sync from the link cable. Maybe you didn't get csync working and didn't notice since you have a CVBS for sync cable?