Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
FinalBaton

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:The mister thread was the other one though you probably could have guessed that. :lol:
Yep seen that one unfold. I have my hands in many pies...

Btw congrats on the XRGB-3, at that price it's pretty sweet
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

FinalBaton wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:The mister thread was the other one though you probably could have guessed that. :lol:
Yep seen that one unfold. I have my hands in many pies...

Btw congrats on the XRGB-3, at that price it's pretty sweet
Yeah I had been wanting a 2 or 2 plus but one never came up cheap enough. Just wanted something nice and standalone for hooking some old shit up to vga crt monitors.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Yeah I had been wanting a 2 or 2 plus but one never came up cheap enough. Just wanted something nice and standalone for hooking some old shit up to vga crt monitors.
I really liked mine, both for zooming PSP with the preset on mode 1, and for straight no-lag line-doubling on mode 0. very handy to have both modes on 1 machine.

Ok! back on topic
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've always loved how each subforum is its own little biosphere, it's nice to feel like a stranger in a strange land before buggering off back here. :mrgreen: (also the HW forum is a legitimate treasure)
FinalBaton wrote:
BIL wrote:is probably fucking haunted.
by Edman, right? and if I'm to believe this thread's themed album cover, he got buttfucked by the good doctor! over some MISSED JUMPS!!!! (and probably constant whinery too)
Yes, you could say Edmans is this thread's Family Ghost. :cool:

Spoiler
Image :shock:

However our relationship was strictly platonic - he failed to make the staff roll, then had the nerve to get mad when my mighty hog remained soft and floppy like cheese! :evil:
WelshMegalodon wrote:BIL's usual recommendations are Silent Bomber and Strider Hiryu 2.
Indeed, Silent Bomber is an easy rec. Much like Ys: The Oath in Felgana, although polygonal, it's unmistakably classic topdown 2D action. No camera fuckery or milquetoast grid-stepping, just instant action and biblical carnage. The sense of destructive power remains formidable - play with decent speakers if possible for them good ol' BAKOWWWs

Sort of action game that's just complicated enough you might want to print a basic walkthrough, if playing JP. EU version has a random black screen after a late, tough boss, so go with US for English lang, if possible. English VA is life-altering. :lol:

Strider 2 is great as well, though caveats must be given to the slightly edgy performance. Crazy slowdown when bombing. HOWEVER the bomb sucks and I never use it. :cool: Don't be fooled by the dog-eared PS1 polys, its controls and emphasis on sprinting kamikaze blitzkrieg remain cutting-edge.

As far as PS1 exclusives, The Adventure of Little Ralph / Chippoke Ralph Daibouken is almost certainly the best. Along with the Saturn's Taromaru, it's a rare example of original 32bit scrolling action that stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the best of the previous two generations. Looks cute, but New Corp were hardened Game Center veterans and it shows in both its quality and challenge. Very Rastan-influenced with rugged sword action and some deadly platforming. Super high recommendation.

Bit late here so I'll need to type in detail later, but Omega Boost is a great AC score attack ala Galaxy Force II, with enough of a curve that I always attach a bit of guidance. See here for now. Happy hunting, the PS1 is a brilliant machine! Will have some more recs tomorrow.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I just picked up Silent Bomber recently and I like I quite a bit so far. I recently bought a JP PS1 and I have bought a few games for it. Last one was Raiden Project. I also bought a complete US Ace Combat 2. I definitely plan to get Strider 1&2 for PS1.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Appreciate it BIL. Omega Boost looks more like a shooootah? It is cheap enough to go for anyway. Nothing has to be exclusive and I have Japanese and US hardware to play on.
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:Strider 2 is great as well, though caveats must be given to the slightly edgy performance. Crazy slowdown when bombing. HOWEVER the bomb sucks and I never use it. :cool: Don't be fooled by the dog-eared PS1 polys, its controls and emphasis on sprinting kamikaze blitzkrieg remain cutting-edge.
The bomb is actually pretty great and there are some very specific points in the game you want to save it for. No shame in that, you wanna be a ninja and go for the most effective and efficient kill after all, not stumble around those gravity cores like a dirty pair of underwear in the washer. :wink:

@BrianC
In my opinion Strider Hiryu 2 is the single greatest 2D ninja action game ever made, so pick it up for sure!

My other 2D action game recommendations that haven't already been mentioned:

Castlevania SotN and Castlevania Chronicles
Gunners Heaven
Gussun Paradise
Korokoro Post Nin
Mad Stalker
Mezase! Senkyuu-Ou
Namco Anthology Vol. 2 (cuz of the Valkyrie No Bouken remake)
all the Namco Museums
Panzer Bandit
Pinobee
Puchi Carat
Simple 1500 Series Vol. 80: The Jintori (This is actually just a great port of Volfied)
Super Pang Collection
Umihara Kawase Shun 2nd Edition

For 3D, Omega Boost is great. I also really liked the Ghost in the Shell and Gamera 2000 games.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Cooly Skunk, Hermie Hopperhead and Kitchen Panic are way above Pinobee, though, aren't they?

Gussun Paradise
How would you sell me on this one? Does it feature boss fights?
CIT

Post by CIT »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Cooly Skunk, Hermie Hopperhead and Kitchen Panic are way above Pinobee, though, aren't they?
Cooly Skunk is pretty good. I thought Hermie Hopperhead was rather bland, and I really didn't enjoy Kitchen Panic. I found it low on action platforming and more of puzzly affair, but maybe I went into it expecting the wrong thing.
Tomba is another good 2D platformer I didn't mention.
How would you sell me on this one? Does it feature boss fights?
Best thing about Gussun Paradise imo is the fun chaining mechanic.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I've been playing through the Mega Man Zero games on the wonderful Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection. But I must admit to getting soft and/or old because holy heck do those games have some really brutal design and I've been playing them with the new (optional) save points to preserve my sanity.

Large part of the difficulty comes from the screen real estate which feels a bit too small and cramped. Enemies don't appear until they're almost at point-blank range and spikes hiding just under the visible area is a common thing. The difficulty curve is more of a sine wave, there are stages and bosses that I found much harder than the final stage/boss of the same game. The first game especially has lots of additional questionable design, some of which carried over to Zero 2, but luckily Zero 3 seems to have dropped most of the nonsense relating to rank, cyber-elf use and grinding weapon levels.

After Zero 3 I was getting a bit Zeroed-out so to change gears I started playing Dark Devotion since I got the physical release of that a while back. Really interesting mix of 2D Dark Souls and some Rogue-lite elements.

I do want to get back to Contra: Hard Spirits as well. But I think I need to start savestate-practice on that.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Is this where we talk Mega Man now?
I've been playing the collection also, and posted my experiences in the Mega Man Miscellanies thread.

As I've stated there, I agree 100% with the cramped real estate. It's like the games were designed for a larger resolution, and then cropped for the actual release. I don't understand what the hell they were thinking.
It gets less bad in Zero 3 and 4 (which have fewer instant kills based on it), but it's definitely prevalent in the entire series, with like 80% of the damage I take throughout all of the games caused by running straight into enemies that appear on the side of the screen faster than I can react to them.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Yeah, widescreen/play field hack for Zero games would be good opportunity. I also don't like the first game's design and unorthodox approach. You fought the second boss which is literally unwinnable until you grind some enemies for weapon stat? No thanks, example of bad design. There's many levels which requires hard trial and error too. Zero 3 fixes this problem and it also plays better, best in the series.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sumez wrote:As I've stated there, I agree 100% with the cramped real estate. It's like the games were designed for a larger resolution
Same thing with the earliest Game Boy games. The size of the player sprite relative to the screen size is much, MUCH larger than on the NES, so everything feels rather cramped, and you have to limit yourself somewhat as to how much you slide around aggressively. It's good for what it is and it doesn't feel too much like you're constantly running into things with no time to react (probably since it's slower paced than the Zero games), and I suspect part of the design to retain the use of large sprites isn't just to keep Mega Man looking the same, but also to increase visibility. The original Game Boy's screen got quite blurry when in motion so maybe the large player sprite size helped with visibility (the later iterations of the Game Boy, particularly the Game Boy Color onward look very crisp when things are in motion and essentially fixed this). I haven't had the chance to dip into the Zero/ZX games yet but it sounds like they're much faster in pace with dashing and such, an issue on a small screen size.

I'm not into the Sonic games for kinda the same reason, I hate feeling like I'm being encouraged to rush forward at such a fast speed that I literally can't react to what's appearing in front and that I'm being limited by the view distance.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Finished Huntdown on normal with Marion Cobretti (John Sawyer).

My first run through the 3rd and 4th gangs I was dying 15 - 20 times per stage. This run I got it down to 0 - 2 on every stage except the final boss. Took me 7 tries this time as opposed to the 20 it took me on my first go.

Even on my hard play through with Mo' Murder I'm dying 0 - 2 times per stage and I'm almost to the last gang. Knowing the enemy layout is obviously to my benefit, and knowing the boss patterns is an even greater benefit.

There are still a few bosses I haven't no missed (four of the last five spring to mind). Last night as I was making my way through the last two gangs I also had a few runs where I would reach the boss without dying and then die once there.

Cranking the difficulty up as increased the fun factor without increasing the frustration factor. That said I will try bad ass difficulty at some point for real. 1 hit kills in this - probably similar to the difference with Hard Corps - over here we got the 1 hit kill version while overseas they got a life bar. The jump in difficulty from hard to bad ass is probably bigger than normal to hard simply cause ya can't get hit.

Mo' Murder and John Sawyer are pretty close as far as effectiveness.

Sawyer's default gun is weighty in both sound, feedback, and damage. His boomerang does less damage per hit than Mo's kunai or Anna's axe, but can be used far more frequently, hits on the way out and back, and can demolish groups of enemies. No matter the number the boomerang becomes a fucking bulldozer. It will hit them all twice doing an insane amount of combined damage.

Mo's gun is good. I'm not sure of its damage compared to Sawyer's - maybe 60 - 70%. He throws three kunai and each one can only hit once. Far more effective on a single target cause they do more damage per hit but that's it. The two characters are close, but would probably give the nod to Sawyer as being just a tad bit better. Especially considering movement options are identical.

Doesn't make Mo' any less fun to play.
My lord, I have come for you.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Same thing with the earliest Game Boy games. The size of the player sprite relative to the screen size is much, MUCH larger than on the NES, so everything feels rather cramped, and you have to limit yourself somewhat as to how much you slide around aggressively. It's good for what it is and it doesn't feel too much like you're constantly running into things with no time to react (probably since it's slower paced than the Zero games), and I suspect part of the design to retain the use of large sprites isn't just to keep Mega Man looking the same, but also to increase visibility. The original Game Boy's screen got quite blurry when in motion so maybe the large player sprite size helped with visibility (the later iterations of the Game Boy, particularly the Game Boy Color onward look very crisp when things are in motion and essentially fixed this). I haven't had the chance to dip into the Zero/ZX games yet but it sounds like they're much faster in pace with dashing and such, an issue on a small screen size.
My only Mega Man experience on Game Boy is the fifth one, and it's a very good game (and I hear all of them except the second were made by the same people). Much better than any of the Zero games. They chose to design the game all around the area that's visible on the GB screen in relation to the sprite's size. And surprisingly they managed to do this quite well without the game being sluggish and slow (which is more than you could say for Mega Man 7 or R&F :P)
Compare MMZ, which feels like it's designed to run on a completely different platform that the game never existed for.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Same thing with the earliest Game Boy games.
Oddly, it was actually the reverse that happened with many GB games. Early games used small sprites and it was later GB games that went with larger ones. Early Sunsoft GB games like Batman and Gremlins had more screen space and felt less cramped compared to later ones like Duck Dodgers. Other games like Super Mario Land also used smaller sprites compared to its sequels.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

BrianC wrote:Other games like Super Mario Land also used smaller sprites compared to its sequels.
That one, Motocross Maniacs, Balloon Kid - these are some class small-sprite games! Now I think the minuscule characters in the likes of Gunstar Heroes, Assault Suits Valken, Walker, Jets'n'Guns, Metal Warriors, Sensible Soccer - were an homage to that spirit, as if their devs missed those small sprites from early handheld games.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

I'll expand on my thoughts later (I've been saying this a lot lately :P), but to make a brief post:

I've recently replayed the first game and still like it as much as I did before. Haven't put in the time to clear Hard mode yet.
The cyber-elves, as a way of allowing you to tailor the difficulty to your liking, would have been a great idea if a) you didn't have to hunt them down, often in time consuming ways, and more importantly b) if you didn't have to grind for crystals to even be able to use them. I'm fine with the permanent rank hit of using some of the elves. If you use every (permanent) elf you, essentially, can only die by falling into a pit.
Speaking of pits, the only level I actually find annoying is the factory where you fight Phantom. The boss fight is great but the level not so much.
As for grinding for weapon levels, it's not actually needed unless you want to be able to use charge attacks and, in turn, elemental attacks. Unfortunately most people new to the game will want to use them, since they make boss fights considerably easier.

Also, as faulty as the game is, and assuming you're referring to the timed boss at the disposal facility, this is just not true:
copy-paster wrote:You fought the second boss which is literally unwinnable until you grind some enemies for weapon stat? No thanks, example of bad design.
You can beat him damage-less in less than half of the allotted time by simply using single slashes from the sabre (he gets i-frames after a single slash so grinding is useless, unless you grind enough to get the charge attack).

Regarding the cyber areas in Zero 3, doesn't that have something to do with the Battle Network series? I could swear I remember reading something along those lines way back.

Sumez, I know you posted more stuff in the MM thread (I just skimmed them) and I'l re-read them before posting again later.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

The replacement controller for my broken USB Saturn pad arrived, so it's back to NG1 for me. I got one of those Retrobit 6-button Mega Drive thingies instead of the Saturn version this time. So far it feels good, if a little stiff. I'm sure it will be broken in soon enough. Most importantly, I got a couple of successful wall-climbs in both directions already. I expect this to only get better once the d-pad loosens up a bit. Jaquio here I come!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

At least one person in here has been looking forward to this one, I can't remember who exactly (kitten?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJGQdUqO_Jo
My lord, I have come for you.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

It looks like Sunset Riders is the next ACA game! The last one was a Jaleco game I never even heard of. I think it was titled something like Naughty Boy.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Also just announced for ACA: Seibu's 1985 Wiz, and 1993 Zero Team.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jeneki wrote:Also just announced for ACA: Seibu's 1985 Wiz, and 1993 Zero Team.
and Raiden
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Who cares about Raiden, we're getting Wiz Image
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

trap15 wrote:Who cares about Raiden, we're getting Wiz Image
starring Orko! ;)
CIT

Post by CIT »

Zero Team, yesss! I’ll use that opportunity to repost those Spin-chan fanarts. :mrgreen:

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

NG1 progress report: The new controller enabled me to take down the Masked Devil surprisingly easily. Working on Jaquio now.

EDIT: Just beat him for the first time. I definitely lack precision and consistency, but using mycophobia's technique he's, well not easy, but definitely manageable. The key to success is not being greedy, instead taking your time dodging, and waiting for an opening. Of course I died to the demon immediately. What the fuck is up with those shrimps?
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Demon is the hardest boss but cheesable with Jumpslash. The best way to beat him is intentionally died here and start back until Demon (the game keeps track which boss you died and sent back to same place after finishing 6-3) with Jumpslash and enough Ninja powerup.