Late realizations

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Obiwanshinobi

Re: Late realizations

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

M.Knight wrote:On a side-note, the Wii CC Pro doesn't have the analog sensitivity on its bumpers so if you are on WiiU, that console's CC Pro may have some advantage over it depending on the game. I know I don't like analog triggers/bumpers since I tend to assign bomb to them when playing shmups so the delay may get in the way. But for something like F-Zero I am sure it's essential.
a) I don't think they are analogue on GameCube pad, just two-grade (when keeping L pressed on CCP, Zl &Zr are detected as half-pressed).
b) F-Zero GX doesn't even make use of both grades (few 'Cube games appear to), either counts as fully pressed, it seems, making the Wii CCP just sufficient for the job (unless you must play with a steering wheel).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Just now finding out that Armed Seven, Witch Bot Megilo, and Mecha Ritz all were originally Dezaemon 2 games.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:Just now finding out that Armed Seven, Witch Bot Megilo, and Mecha Ritz all were originally Dezaemon 2 games.
It appears Vulkaizer was one too.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

- The third button on an Avenue Pad 3 just replicates the function of the Run or Select button. It isn't actually a third button.
- I like playing shooters and belt scrollers with a stick but can't do half-circles or shoryukens without wondering whether I'm stressing the gate. This often leads to me not pulling enough to actually engage the switch. Is it just a matter of practicing? How in the world does anyone combo into V-slasher or Dynamite Swing without the lever almost coming off in their hand?
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

John Hillerman, the actor who played Higgins on Magnum PI was not British. Texas Born. He was also on Blazing Saddles with a real Texas accent.
BIL

Post by BIL »

WelshMegalodon wrote:- The third button on an Avenue Pad 3 just replicates the function of the Run or Select button. It isn't actually a third button.
Yep! Absolutely invaluable for stuff like Bloody Wolf (knife) and Saigo no Nindou (switch weapons), as well as the obvious Forgotten Worlds it was packaged with.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Holy tea and crumpets! USD is worth .77 British Pounds right now? Time to start shopping on .co.uk sites instead maybe...
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Just realised Super Mario Party doesn't work with Switch Lite.

bought it last night. lol
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
kitten

Post by kitten »

WelshMegalodon wrote:- The third button on an Avenue Pad 3 just replicates the function of the Run or Select button. It isn't actually a third button.
i think this is very slightly not actually entirely true? while in most games that's how it works, i couldn't get my other 3-button controllers (which *do* run that way) to work with forgotten worlds' 3-button set-up. the third button just wouldn't do anything when on the avenue 3 set-up (and, weirdly enough, the avenue 6 also didn't have any support functionality). i had to go buy an avenue 3 after i'd already gotten the game and thought either my off-brand (a couple k2 blasters, i think?) or avenue 6 would have worked with it.

i don't know what the hell is up with that, but at least with one specific game, the avenue 3 does have seem to have some sort of magic functionality?
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Outside of shocking the audience, why didn't they use hair clippings to do the hot wire test in The Thing, instead of blood?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Probably just aesthetic, as you suggest. Same reason John Carpenter said the Thing can't simply aerosolise its cells for an instant victory. Makes for a sturdier movie. Blood is good visceral stuff, just like an enemy reliant on subterfuge and body horror rather than microscopic warfare.

Also, the Thing had sabotaged the base's blood bank, after the men proposed using the frozen samples to detect impostors via blood test. So Mac already had a vital clue, from the alien itself, that blood was a potential means of exposing it. Figures he'd incorporate that into his theory.

Plus (headcanon ahead!), apart from the connective tissue at its base, hair is technically non-living tissue. Biological processes occur only within the bulb. Mac is an astute sort, I could imagine him considering that and wanting something more vital for the torch.

I am intrigued by the possibility of a Tribble hopping from the dish, and nobody having the heart to torch it, before it promptly flips over to (of course) reveal a mean vagina dentata and facehugger the shit out of Windows. :lol:
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The actor who played Gus Fring in Breaking Bad also played Buggin Out in Do the Right Thing!

Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
CIT

Post by CIT »

ADK developed the game Tsuukai GANGAN Koushinkyoku, known in English as Aggressors of Dark Kombat. Only now I realized if you abbreviate it it becomes ...ADK! :shock:
drauch

Post by drauch »

Specineff wrote:Outside of shocking the audience, why didn't they use hair clippings to do the hot wire test in The Thing, instead of blood?
That's actually the scene from the original Campbell story that inspired Carpenter to do the movie in the first place, so dats why ;)
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ oh shit, how'd I forget that... :o Carpenter's is better :cool:

I didn't realise Starscream and Cobra Commander's OG voice actor Chris Latta (AKA Christopher Collins) died quite so young, just 44. Never been a big VA buff, but I've heard stories of his brushes with the law, getting bailed out by colleagues so he could make the studio, etc etc. Bit of a character apparently. Always thought he was one of those seasoned old dudes who turned to VA later in life like Scatman Crothers.

What a fuckin voice. Died of an intracerebral hemorrhage, something I was suspected of having a couple days back (hence googling over his unfortunate fate). I almost wonder if he blew a gasket hitting those ridiculous notes. Certain lines by Cobra Commander are the absolute picture of boiling, impotent outrage.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

BIL wrote:What a fuckin voice. Died of an intracerebral hemorrhage, something I was suspected of having a couple days back (hence googling over his unfortunate fate). I almost wonder if he blew a gasket hitting those ridiculous notes. Certain lines by Cobra Commander are the absolute picture of boiling, impotent outrage.
My impression is he got into a bar fight or something and that was that. His voice acting associates alluded to him being pretty wild.

I didn't find out until just now but he apparently played some parts on Star Trek Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, neat.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blimey, sad as it is, that sounds like a very StarScream way to go. Motherfucker always mouthin' off. :o

Yeah, first clip in this reel was live-action ST - was typing in another tab, assumed it had to have been the animated series!

I try to avoid nostalgising, on the internet or otherwise, but I have to make an exception for G1 TF/Joe and their contemporaries. InHumanoids, there's one I'd not thought of in a while. Got some good vocab off that one, "DeCompose" the zombieman that'd turn you into a fuckin skeleton with his ribcage, et al...
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

drauch wrote:
Specineff wrote:Outside of shocking the audience, why didn't they use hair clippings to do the hot wire test in The Thing, instead of blood?
That's actually the scene from the original Campbell story that inspired Carpenter to do the movie in the first place, so dats why ;)
Garry spoke in a low, bitter voice. 'Connant was one of the finest men we had here - and five minutes ago I'd have sworn he was a man. Those damnable things are more than imitation.' Garry shuddered and sat back in his bunk.

And thirty seconds later, Garry's blood shrank from the hot platinum wire, and struggled to escape the tube, struggled as frantically as a suddenly feral, red-eyed, dissolving imitation of Garry struggled to dodge the snake-tongue weapon Barclay advanced at him, white-faced and sweating. The Thing in the test tube screamed with a tiny, tinny voice as McReady dropped it into the glowing coal of the galley stove.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The "chariot" kind of low lift truck I drove yesterday at work is EASIER to operate than "doggie" kind I'm quite experienced with. Oh, I'm pretty sure the sort with longer fork, lifting two pallets, is more difficult to handle, but we don't have these at my workplace. It has to be said again - this job can be dangerously fun for a videogaming person. Luckily, I'm something of a safety measures fiend, so, even my current workplace, where those are kept loosely (to say the least), has not depraved me in this regard (I hope).
The way out is cut off

Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

This forum is literal cancer over half the time. I can't quit it either though so yeah.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Please don't leave me, boo
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Compare to most gaming boards, I think this place is pretty okay as long as you stay out of the political threads. It's only the third forum I've felt comfortable frequenting for more than a year, and the only one focused on gaming.

People actually research shit here. Do you have any idea how valuable that is? People actually citing sources and such instead of parroting misconceptions they heard off Kotaku and Reddit? You know the Hardware section here is legit because it isn't full of people showing off their Raspberry Pis.

You don't have people constantly reinforcing the 'fake difficulty' mindset, either. SHMUPS actually understands the value of approaching games on their own terms.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Compare to most gaming boards, I think this place is pretty okay as long as you stay out of the political threads. It's only the third forum I've felt comfortable frequenting for more than a year, and the only one focused on gaming.

People actually research shit here. Do you have any idea how valuable that is? People actually citing sources and such instead of parroting misconceptions they heard off Kotaku and Reddit? You know the Hardware section here is legit because it isn't full of people showing off their Raspberry Pis.

You don't have people constantly reinforcing the 'fake difficulty' mindset, either. SHMUPS actually understands the value of approaching games on their own terms.
Oh the entire internet is shit, without a doubt. I genuinely like a lot of people here, or at least how they are online. I actually do appreciate that, I know I can come here and get good sound technical advice. Fudoh, no matter what one thinks of the whole bootleg Sapphire fiasco, is extremely helpful.

This forum is infinitely better than Reddit. This forum is generally not censored, so that's a huge plus too. Reddit is the giant shit pile of the internet.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Not gonna lie, this forum teach me how arcade-pace games MEANT to be played. One of my most visited site too tbh.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Not only about games; there are most obscure real things mentioned around here that I have never seen, or heard, discussed anywhere else. Just how valuable this place is can hardly be overstated. Don't misunderstand me - it can be nearly as awful, sometimes, as human beings generally can be, but that's a benefit of the inventory.
The way out is cut off

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

In Nex Machina, using the sword during a dash executes a flurry of enemy-instakilling bullet-cancelling swings. So that's what Dash Explosion is for! You need to be powered up beforehand, but now that I understand this move, the sword might be the most powerful secondary weapon in the game! Certainly made shorter work of the stage 1 boss than any of the others!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

What the shit? I didn't know rabbits can change colour. THATS AMAZIN :o edit: Wait. What happens if I kidnap one and take it to a tropical environment? Is it like octopuses? Or temperature/sunlight-regulated? Hmm. I have some light reading to do. Nature is some scary shit.

Aha! It's melanin-controlled. Well that makes sense. How does octopus camo work, internet?
internet wrote:The different control mechanisms for chromatophores, iridophores, leucophores and papillae require cephalopods to integrate different types of visual information into a cohesive, matching pattern.
How their brains process visual information from their eyes and possibly also their skin, then send out the correct commands to their camouflaging tissues, is something we do not yet understand.
Oh hell no
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

aliens living in the deep underwater trenches, I'm telling ya

H.P. Lovecraft was unto something

Yeah, have seent quite a few white hare in winter throughout the years! Is a common sight. Here in the GREAT WHITE NORTH, them rabbits gotta camouflage in the snow, or else Lynx, wolves, foxes and big ass owls are gonna snatch them up! :shock: they got pretty long feet too, acting as raquette à neige, hence their name :mrgreen:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Oh yeah, they've found retinal DNA in the skin of mollusks. They FEEL color!

But are you ready for the mind-bending fact that cuttlefish use their super color-changing powers to HYPNOTIZE their prey???