Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SuperSpongo

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by SuperSpongo »

I was the one who posted about "Button 12" being necessary. And I'll say it again: Steve has incomplete info in his video about this. Take a look at the service manual:

I have tested this with my PGM and my newly acquired PVM 2950 and can confirm that the settings are not being saved with my monitor if you only press mute. I built a small Arduino board to send the IR command for "12" back when I didn't yet have the original remote.

Over in the German circuit-board forum we are currently in the process of developing a solution that uses LIRC, a raspberry pi and some components to build an "IR Translator" to get rid of the problem. The LIRC codes for the original RM-854 remote are readily available.
https://gist.github.com/burk3/6ea991f77 ... baa5e63dfb

I've also played with the idea of selling cloned remotes by teaching chunghop L336 with my original.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks for the follow up.

Well, I don't have a key labeled ''12'' on my remote, but I was still able to save.
I used the ''enter'' key on the numpad after pressing ''write'', like Steve said, and it worked. So it looks like regarding his personal remote config at least, he's not wrong there. It's true that he didn't went to the lenght of mentionning the ''12'' button is the equivalent button on other remotes But I do very much appreciate him taking some of his free time to show us the service menu (I do personally wish he would have said how to back out of the menu, so not the most exhaustive of videos and I get your point. but as I said : I really appreciate his upload nonetheless)

Maybe the key labeled ''enter'' has the same function code as the one named ''12''?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Do the universal programmable remotes for like $8 (up to the fancy $50+ Logitech with LCD screen even), not have this "12" button either? Just curious.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

FinalBaton wrote:But I do very much appreciate him taking some of his free time to show us the service menu (I do personally wish he would have said how to back out of the menu, so not the most exhaustive of videos and I get your point. but as I said : I really appreciate his upload nonetheless)
Same here! I love his videos.
FinalBaton wrote: Maybe the key labeled ''enter'' has the same function code as the one named ''12''?
According to the IR Codes, button 12 sends 0xD10 while button "Enter" sends 0xA70 so they don't have the same function code.
Dochartaigh wrote: Do the universal programmable remotes for like $8 (up to the fancy $50+ Logitech with LCD screen even), not have this "12" button either? Just curious.
I don't know for sure but it's unlikely I guess. It's a pretty unusual button for a remote, generally speaking, isn't it? I have never seen it on a TV's remote before.

But I'm not that well versed in Harmony remotes. I think you use predefined profiles from the community, but I don't know how to create those.
I did a 1 hour search for programmable remotes that accept some kind of cfg file with plain hex codes and the transmit protocol, but such a remote does not seem to exist. I ordered 2 cheap 4x4 button matrixes and will try to whip something up myself using an Arduino.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Watched the new Blu-ray of "The Wizard", haven't seen it for 10+years. Not a great film, but it still gives me nostalgia and is still a feel good watch for me.

Anyone recognize the PVM model from the Nintendo game counselor offices? Anyone still own a working one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnrRjRP871Y
cools

Post by cools »

jd213 wrote:Watched the new Blu-ray of "The Wizard", haven't seen it for 10+years. Not a great film, but it still gives me nostalgia and is still a feel good watch for me.

Anyone recognize the PVM model from the Nintendo game counselor offices? Anyone still own a working one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnrRjRP871Y
It's a PVM-1271Q / 1371QM (or possibly a 1270 / 1370). I have two - one working with a battered case and one with a minty case that died minutes after I received it...
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Thanks for the info, sorry to hear about your non-working one. Hope you can get it working someday or at least use it as a donor or something.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Any opinions on the Sony GDM-W900 monitor?
strayan

Post by strayan »

H6rdc0re wrote:Any opinions on the Sony GDM-W900 monitor?
My opinion: buy it and see if you like it.
nissling

Post by nissling »

Haven't used the W900, but I'm right in front of an FW900 right now and it's great. Unless it breaks down beyond repair I honestly don't think I'll go over to an LCD for desktop usage. I'm not kidding, it's that good.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Haven't see a W900 in person but from the pics i seen and from what i read its very comparable. If you can get a good deal on it i would jump on it.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-CM8833 ... 31999#rwid

" Philips CM8833-II
Philips CM8833-II has quite similar specs to the monitor above (used in the same type of applications). Philips CM8833-II has a RGB connector which can accept both analogue and digital RGB signal. The RGB connector uses the following pinout:

1 Ground Ground
2 Ground Ground
3 Red Red
4 Green Green
5 Blue Blue
6 Intensity Fast Blanking
7 Not used Composite Sync
8 H. Sync H. Sync
9 V. Sync V. Sync
Some of the CM8833-II models have also a sepearate composite video input (RCA connector). I have also heard of special versions with only the digital TTL RGB input. "

- via https://www.epanorama.net/circuits/vga2 ... nouts.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone happen to know of a DE-9/DE-15 adapter with compatible pinout for the analog RGB on this sucker? I would assume there's probably one out there (or, could just make one heh)
strayan

Post by strayan »

Didn’t I answer this already?

viewtopic.php?p=1406199#p1406199
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

strayan wrote:Didn’t I answer this already?

viewtopic.php?p=1406199#p1406199
lol, looks like you did! My memory's shit. I'd had someone else tell me it wouldn't work... not much left to do but perhaps try it out someday! Not much need for it anymore, but I'd still like to try :)
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-SCART-TV-RG ... Swn-tZIxE4

I'm very disappointed nobody has picked up this bizarre CGA (EGA, too...?) to SCART thing, lol. It's so neat!
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

nothing too special, just a RGBI DAC with a sync combiner

It would definitely not work with EGA. Even if it had the logic for 6-bit RGB, a SCART TV won't sync to medium res.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/j63 ... sotry_list

Pretty cheap XRGB-1 on Yahoo Japan, the catch is that it is a little beat and needs some repairs. Hope this is of interest to someone! :)
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

An XBR960 popped up on a nearby CL for free. Wish I had the space, hope it doesn't get junked. There was another free 47'' (according to them, not sure how they are measuring but I would figure it's at least 40'' screen space, looks huge) 4:3 Trititron for free. Just thinking about them gives me a hernia though.

If you are still looking, don't give up hope deals are out there. CRT is the way. 8)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:CRT is the way. 8)
Amen
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Anyone know of a decent Matrix Switch (nothing too big, maybe a simple 4x2)that accepts 15kHz RGB but doesn't need dang 'csync' like a Crosspoint, has 'normal' audio connectors, and perhaps can be set for 75 ohm output? Don't care whether BNC or DE-15, or hell even RCA jacks!

Alternatively - maybe a 4x1 switcher that also does the same? I know of the ones by Pelican/Gamestop clones of those +Phillips obvi, and I've heard that some units are actually pretty damn solid, but some suck (def heard a few people say that about one of the many Phillips units - but they weren't talking about the Phillips PH61150 which looks like it may be nice. Anyone try the PH61150?).

I ought to just stick with my Crosspoint at the junction, I've got all the stuff I need for it - it's just so dang bulky and feels excessive to me! Does gcompsw rock RCA RGBS/RGBs/RGsB? Not considering one of those, far too much $ (but I understand since it's a labor of love & not a giant company) but I've always wondered...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

TBH, while it needs csync, I think the Extron MVX series is ace.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

FinalBaton wrote:TBH, while it needs csync, I think the Extron MVX series is ace.
Yeah, I've been interested in their DE-15 switchers/matrices - do you know if they have a model that doesn't have the damn Phoenix connectors for the output (appreciate that they have them for input)? Or an alternative brand (think Crestron, Kramer, etc) with a similar unit, sans-stupid Phoenix connectors O_o
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

not that I know of. I got someone to make me phoenix-to-rca plugs for the outputs
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

FinalBaton wrote:TBH, while it needs csync, I think the Extron MVX series is ace.
+100 it's the best
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

kitty666cats wrote:
Yeah, I've been interested in their DE-15 switchers/matrices - do you know if they have a model that doesn't have the damn Phoenix connectors for the output (appreciate that they have them for input)? Or an alternative brand (think Crestron, Kramer, etc) with a similar unit, sans-stupid Phoenix connectors O_o
You can buy phoenix connectors with screw-down terminals. Then you just buy a handful of female-female RCA cables, cut them in half and screw them into the phoenix connectors. Viola, instant RCA inputs.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Whew, dang that's much easier than I thought it would be. Recommendations for a good site to buy 'em? I really only need maybe one or two more - the ones I have right now are the RGC UK ones that are, for some dumb reason, wired separately for input or output @_@

I think I may stick with my Crosspoint after all, amidst being overtired the other day when putzing around with it, I realized that there were a couple loose connections that were leading me to believe there were other issues coming from the Crosspoint. Negative! Just my own shortsightedness :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UNRELATED:

https://homeautomationcompany.co.uk/pro ... converter/

^ Just a morbid curiousity, I'm sure this thing is a stinker that stinks a mean stank - but did anyone ever try this back in the day before we had the OSSC / you didn't want to drop super big $$$ on a Framemeister? It looks like it's probably made by CYP, their stuff really strikes me as pretty generic & they rebrand a lot of stuff/other people rebrand their stuff (the CSY-2100, for some weird reason, became the most cloned RGB SCART to component ever, good lord! Why not clone one that passes the damn audio?!) but they seem to have some cool units amidst their many junky ones!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

the reason for the adapters being wired differently is not dumb : the wiring(or hookup) is different for a source going in the inputs, vs one going out the outputs. you can look it up in the manual.

however it's possible to wire some adapters that'll work on both input and output (I think they have a resistor in line somewhere)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

kitty666cats wrote:I think I may stick with my Crosspoint after all, amidst being overtired the other day when putzing around with it, I realized that there were a couple loose connections that were leading me to believe there were other issues coming from the Crosspoint. Negative! Just my own shortsightedness :P
You're smart to stay with the Crosspoint. There's really nothing better. The more inputs/outputs the better too - especially with how much you've been posting about every imaginable converter and such, Crosspoints simplify setups at that point. You can loop all of those in/out of the Crosspoint, then never ever have to touch a wire again, and can run it to/from any system or monitor, loop multiple devices together, etc. etc. etc. Think I had 14 or 15 converters/scalers/etc. hooked up and looped back in/out of the Crosspoint at some point...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Dochartaigh wrote:especially with how much you've been posting about every imaginable converter and such
:lol:

I think this is how kitty666cats' house looks like. Every single room :mrgreen: :

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

kitty666cats wrote:Whew, dang that's much easier than I thought it would be. Recommendations for a good site to buy 'em?
Phoenix plugs? I have a small bag of them that came with some extron crap, but I have seen them on the bay... as such https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-pin-3-81mm-P ... SwZqZaSsh-

You just jam the wires on the other side of an RCA cable into the holes and tighten the screws. Isn't really a barrier to entry.

Edit: Please note that you need to count the number of phoenix connector outputs for your particular application, and look for one that fits. It is possible to cut them or otherwise mutilate them to remove extra pins if you are unable to find one of the proper configuration. lol.