Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by vol.2 »

nmalinoski wrote: The second one is a VGA to HDMI converter, so that's entirely unsuitable for what you want.

This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O55U8K/
Shit. Good catch. Thanks.

Yeah, I ordered it from Amazon, but they emailed and said they couldn't ship because covid issues and china-US problems so they wanted me to cancel.

That's why I'm looking on ebay. I wonder about the other one?
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

vol.2 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: The second one is a VGA to HDMI converter, so that's entirely unsuitable for what you want.

This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O55U8K/
Shit. Good catch. Thanks.

Yeah, I ordered it from Amazon, but they emailed and said they couldn't ship because covid issues and china-US problems so they wanted me to cancel.

That's why I'm looking on ebay. I wonder about the other one?

This is what I use and it has been great but does crush blacks IMO. The Tendak was a total piece of shit IMO and dropped sync constantly.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

thchardcore wrote:

This is what I use and it has been great but does crush blacks IMO. The Tendak was a total piece of shit IMO and dropped sync constantly.
Thanks.

Just to be certain, are you using the one I linked that has both the VGA and the component output choices, or are you using the blue/black looking one that nmalinoski linked?
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

vol.2 wrote:
thchardcore wrote:

Thanks.

Just to be certain, are you using the one I linked that has both the VGA and the component output choices, or are you using the blue/black looking one that nmalinoski linked?
Sorry I wasn't clearer. I am using the one nmalinoski linked to - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O55U8K/

I think it cost me a whopping $13 two years ago, but perhaps this is the inflationary effect of the fed's current helicopter money. My only complaint is the power cord for it is like 2 feet long. Assholes.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Hahaha you think a small check is inflation.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

thchardcore wrote: Sorry I wasn't clearer. I am using the one nmalinoski linked to - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O55U8K/

I think it cost me a whopping $13 two years ago, but perhaps this is the inflationary effect of the fed's current helicopter money. My only complaint is the power cord for it is like 2 feet long. Assholes.
Ok, yeah. So, I ordered that one, and they said they wanted me to cancel the order because of covid, or expect it to take 2 months to ship. So I cancelled it because that sounded more like they weren't sure about shipping at all.

I was looking into that other portta device that appears to sold through some US based ebay people.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Maybe try just ordering direct? Btw, maybe it's just me, but what a fantastic name for a company.

https://www.port-ta.com/us/porttar-hdmi ... erter.html
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

thchardcore wrote:Maybe try just ordering direct? Btw, maybe it's just me, but what a fantastic name for a company.

https://www.port-ta.com/us/porttar-hdmi ... erter.html
Yeah, I like the name as well. The amazon storefront is basically just the company selling through amazon, so I suspect that the response and the situation will be the same, but I'll try to email their US rep and see what happens. Thanks.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Do you want my tendak converter? I won't ever use it and everyone swears it is the go to. Maybe it is just my setup since I have everything running though an Extron for center controls before it hits the displays.

Send me a PM with your address and it's yours.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Hello quick question,

Living in the uk .

When it comes to playing playstation 1 games .

Will I be able to get full screen on pal games with a pal console ?

Or will I need a console that can play NTSC usa games with a csync mod to enjoy games games full screen?

Had a chipped ps1 back in the day and I cannot remember how it displayed games.

Cheers
Arms installation complete Good luck
Kez

Post by Kez »

PAL PSX will autoswitch to 60hz if you run an NTSC game (with a modchip or whatever). The frequency will be slightly off-spec due to differences in the PAL crystal oscillator but should still work fine in most scenarios and be 240p.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Thank you so much I appreciate the knowledge!

Time to track down vagrant story and Vandal hearts 1 and 2
Arms installation complete Good luck
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

I'm wondering how well do cross scanlines compare between Framemiester and OSSC once advanced settings are in place?

The Faroudja I tested this awhile back before the feature was added is able to pretty accurately do this on some games, but I only used it primarily for s-video as the RGB input isn't working for some reason.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Anyone know where I can get a quality male to female S-video cable? My Sony CRT has an S-video input in the back which is not accessible without having to rotate the TV every time so I'd like to have something that I can just run to the front to plug my consoles into. I suppose a switcher would work but that would require an additional S-video cable. I'm just looking for an inexpensive solution.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GojiFan90 wrote:Anyone know where I can get a quality male to female S-video cable? My Sony CRT has an S-video input in the back which is not accessible without having to rotate the TV every time so I'd like to have something that I can just run to the front to plug my consoles into. I suppose a switcher would work but that would require an additional S-video cable. I'm just looking for an inexpensive solution.
My solution for my similar situation a few years back with connecting S-Video sources to a Kramer RGB decoder involved a male-to-male cable and a female-to-female coupler; if you continue to have trouble finding an S-Video extension cable, try the regular cable and a coupler.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

nmalinoski wrote:My solution for my similar situation a few years back with connecting S-Video sources to a Kramer RGB decoder involved a male-to-male cable and a female-to-female coupler; if you continue to have trouble finding an S-Video extension cable, try the regular cable and a coupler.
Wow, that's smart--it's definitely easier to find a good quality male to male s-vid cable and a coupler. Thanks for the tip!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Any recommendations for a bluray player? I want the cheapest reliable player that only has to do 1080p.

I have literally never bought a bluray player before as I have a PC with one that works fine, but I have a situation now where one could make sense. I've seen the available models from sony and the usual suspects, but they all have really mixed reviews with lots of people claiming near-doas and poor quality. It almost seems as though one has to buy a more expensive model just to get any amount of decent service from it.

Any opinions or recommendations?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

vol.2 wrote:Any recommendations for a bluray player? I want the cheapest reliable player that only has to do 1080p.

I have literally never bought a bluray player before as I have a PC with one that works fine, but I have a situation now where one could make sense. I've seen the available models from sony and the usual suspects, but they all have really mixed reviews with lots of people claiming near-doas and poor quality. It almost seems as though one has to buy a more expensive model just to get any amount of decent service from it.

Any opinions or recommendations?
I'd say PS4 Slim. The interface is straightforward; you can get nice, responsive media remotes; and the software should still be maintained for a number of years into the PS5's lifespan. PS3 would work as well, but it's a bit long in the tooth, and it's probably difficult to find good, new examples (and you probably don't want a top-loading player).

The Xbox One will also play Blu-rays, but Microsoft's Blu-ray app has been clunky and garbage in my experience (Had trouble loading DVDs).

I generally don't like standalone players, because they're not usually supported for very long, and they tend to not be as versatile as the aforementioned consoles.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

nmalinoski wrote: I'd say PS4 Slim.
Interesting. That's a tempting idea. I don't have any system newer than a PS2 and a Wii. It would be fun, but I'm not 100% sure I can handle the added time-suck that a PS4 would create for me at the moment. I already have a fairly large amount of time committed to retrogaming and general PC gaming. :roll:

My hope is that I can find a bluray player that works okay and won't need any updates.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Does the JVC X'Eye have the best RGB and audio quality of any Genesis model? Would it still have the best RGB and audio even with the new advent of the Triple Bypass mod?

https://medium.com/rgb-inside/comparing ... d3703270ba
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

In my limited experience with NA models, Genesis RGB output is so good (outside of blue jailbars, which can often be removed easily) that ''hunting for revision with best RGB'' is a non-issue. Just about any Genesis model 1 or 2 seem to give a great picture. I mean, we're not even CLOSE to a 2-chip SNES situation here.

I know that personally, I would not obssess over it for that console.

But it is true that I'm not as obsessed as other people regarding perfect RGB signal (but the 2-chip SNES really annoy me, even the ''best'' ones)

Regarding his claims for ''best audio on X'Eye'' : I haven't heard that console variant myself, but heard other people's console revisions shootout and while it sounded very clean, it wasn't the best sounding to my ear. So I'm a bit skeptical.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

FinalBaton wrote:In my limited experience with NA models, Genesis RGB output is so good (outside of blue jailbars, which can often be removed easily) that ''hunting for revision with best RGB'' is a non-issue. Just about any Genesis model 1 or 2 seem to give a great picture. I mean, we're not even CLOSE to a 2-chip SNES situation here.

I know that personally, I would not obssess over it for that console.

But it is true that I'm not as obsessed as other people regarding perfect RGB signal (but the 2-chip SNES really annoy me, even the ''best'' ones)

Regarding his claims for ''best audio on X'Eye'' : I haven't heard that console variant myself, but heard other people's console revisions shootout and while it sounded very clean, it wasn't the best sounding to my ear. So I'm a bit skeptical.
I agree with this, audio quality is a far more important concern for megadrive/genesis consoles.

I have a VA1 JP Megadrive that had pretty bad jailbars but simply cutting the composite trace cleaned it up enough that they aren’t visible at normal viewing distance. With 2 resistors changed to correct the overdriven headphone circuit it sounds absolutely glorious. Far better than my triple bypassed MD2 or my Mega SG.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

I'm no programmer and don't know if this is possible but I'm always wondering. With all those old Widescreen CRT's out there for cheap or free. Almost all of these CRT's have a good tube but have bad picture processing doing crap like 100Hz. Why is nobody developing a junglechip FPGA clone bypassing the original junglechip. Shouldn't this give us the ability to get near PVM/BVM Widescreen CRT's for cheap? Shouldn't bypassing the original picture processing fix the 100Hz, inputlag and other picture quality issues?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

On 360 definitely not. Using a HQ VGA cable offers fantastic qualities.

And PS3 quite on the contrary. Here an external HDMI to analogue converter will offer better quality, since the PS3's analogue component output is already considerbly more blurry than the HDMI output.
Last edited by Fudoh on Sat May 30, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Fudoh wrote:On 360 definitely not. Using a HQ VGA cable offers fantastic qualities.

And PS3 quite on the contrary. Here an external HDMI to analogue converter will offer better quality, since the PS3's analogue component output is already considerbla more blurry than the HDMI output.
Thanks for this post Fudoh, my memory was failing me and I was misremembering it as native YPbPr output > native HDMI!
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

PS3 analog component looks fantastic if you use good quality cables. The OEM cables are not
Listai

Post by Listai »

For a PVM should I use 75Ω BNC to female RCA adapters?. I currently just have some cheap ones attached to some component cables and they seem to work fine.

My current setup is an Otaku games switch outputting via RGBS which I then attach the my PVM20L2 with the adaptors. I'm just wondering if it's worth spending a tiny bit extra, there doesn't appear to be any interference - there is some minimal horizontal smearing but you have to be extremely close and looking for it.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Listai wrote:For a PVM should I use 75Ω BNC to female RCA adapters?. I currently just have some cheap ones attached to some component cables and they seem to work fine.

My current setup is an Otaku games switch outputting via RGBS which I then attach the my PVM20L2 with the adaptors. I'm just wondering if it's worth spending a tiny bit extra, there doesn't appear to be any interference - there is some minimal horizontal smearing but you have to be extremely close and looking for it.
I mean, theoretically BNC cables would be better, but the difference is gonna be marginal to most people's eyes if you've got good cables and a firm connection :) Whatever you're happy with is what you should use!
Listai

Post by Listai »

kitty666cats wrote: I mean, theoretically BNC cables would be better, but the difference is gonna be marginal to most people's eyes if you've got good cables and a firm connection :) Whatever you're happy with is what you should use!
Thanks!

I guess the issue is with my current setup is that I'd have to use BNC to RCA at some stage in the chain anyway as I use the RGBS RCA out on the Otaku games switch. So I'd need to pick up some BNC cables and then some BNC to male RCA adapters so they could plug into the switch. Are there any recommended retailers for good quality BNC cables?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Listai wrote:
kitty666cats wrote: I mean, theoretically BNC cables would be better, but the difference is gonna be marginal to most people's eyes if you've got good cables and a firm connection :) Whatever you're happy with is what you should use!
Thanks!

I guess the issue is with my current setup is that I'd have to use BNC to RCA at some stage in the chain anyway as I use the RGBS RCA out on the Otaku games switch. So I'd need to pick up some BNC cables and then some BNC to male RCA adapters so they could plug into the switch. Are there any recommended retailers for good quality BNC cables?
Monoprice are good bang for your buck, they are thicc as hell