Need some advice on establishing and introducing an unusual

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
walter2

Need some advice on establishing and introducing an unusual

Post by walter2 »

I'm working out some setting ideas for the Mecha-building ARPG I've been working on and I've found one that I really like, but I could use some input.

The combat system is kind of a hybrid between a 2d fighting game and a shmup, where the player faces other Mecha in 1 vs 1 duels. This is mostly finished.

The basic world gameplay is heavily inspired by Pokemon but with a bigger reliance on systems to compensate for my lack of resources. But generally it's standard JPRG stuff.

The general idea is that the game is set on a colonized desert planet. I think it makes the most sense for the colonizing ships to have crashed there, since it explains both the choice of a desert planet and the main concept of the story.

It also allows me to go with a general Western vibe for the game. So far, so generic but here's where the twist comes in.

There are no weapons on this planet. There was a mixup at the cargo bay, and the spaceship that was supposed to contain weaponry ended up being filled with little toy robots, that were used for friendly competition.

Since these robots are the closest thing to weapons available, the entire society started using them for conflict resolution.

Over time, people started adapting and modifying the technology to actually inflict harm, but not kill others and even created new (albeit mostly lower quality) parts.

It's basically Trigun or Firefly (minus the spacetravel), just with toy robots instead of guns.

Now here's where I need some help.

I'm not sure how I would introduce such an odd concept to other people, both in the game and in marketing.

On the one hand, the weirdness might make it stand out. But on the other hand it might just confuse people.

There's also the fact that this game is very inspired by JRPGs like Pokemon, so I'm not sure the Western setting is the best fit. Then again, the Thousand Arms series is a thing.

Thanks to anyone who read all this. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have.
Ixmucane2

Re: Need some advice on establishing and introducing an unus

Post by Ixmucane2 »

The technology and resources needed for long-term survival of an improvised colony on a random planet also allow easy production of advanced weapons (e.g. if you can make electrical motors you can also make railguns and x-ray beams with basically identical components; if you can drill holes in steel you can make rifles).
This means that the initial lack of weapons would last days or weeks, not enough to have any lasting impact.
Instead, people should use nonlethal combat technology by choice, because it suits them and despite the availability of lethal weapons; the initial abundance of toys could be the seed of a toy amateur subculture.
Making the peculiar combat a luxury in a prosperous situation rather than a forced consequence of hardship would also make the setting more lighthearted.
Examples from fiction: the underground robot duelist scene in Big Hero 6, youngsters settling questions at the arcade in a videogame in various anime, Pokémon.