shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed May 12, 2021 7:45 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Looking to buy a 4KTV
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:58 pm 

There's a ton of benefit to *shooting* in 8K from a production standpoint (through reframing if nothing else), and there are some use cases where 8K displays are a huge improvement over 4K but still not enough. VR headsets, the sweet spot is probably somewhere between 8K and 16K (At least 60 pixels per degree is where you want to be). Looking Glass displays, since you're dividing the resolution among many perspectives, even 32K wouldn't be high enough (the current display divides an 8K panel into 45 distinct images).

But for use as a television? Yeah, 8K is pointless.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:22 pm 

I just don't feel like any of that will stop TV manufacturers from pushing it anyway. We'll reach the point where 8K panel production is close enough in cost to 4K panel production that they'll do it just because they can. At least to the point where the remaining 4K TVs are the budget options and undesirable. It may take a long time but it seems inevitable to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:56 am 

I originally had a TCL and thought that, because it was inexpensive, I needed an upgrade. I was worried about burn in and bought a highly touted VIZIO instead. It was a mistake and I rectified it about 6 months later when I got a B9. The issue was the resolutions it wouldn't accept (960p or 1200p), that was important to me for the OSSC. Also compared to the TCL, there really wasn't much of an upgrade. On the other hand, the OLED was. The B9 accepts all of the OSSC resolutions I've tried. The HDMI2.1 support is very nice to have, future proofing wise. I don't currently have a GSYNC/FreeSYNC compatable graphics card, but that's a very compelling feature it supports. IMO this is the best TV you can buy and the only reason you should consider buying something else is if you cannot affor it or you will use it extensively as a PC monitor...

I have been doing alot of video editing on it since the coronavirus outbreak, that's how my job shifted to home. I have not had any issues with burn in, mainly because of its aggressive burn in reduction features (which can't be turned off BTW). They are quite annoying in this use case. Namely, it will lower the brightness/backlight(OLED light) so much it's hard to read. Then, when something changes, the brightness will suddenly pop back up, almost blinding me. Just happened as I was typing this, in fact. It does occur in games too, if the screen stays static for a period of time, but the moment you unpause or resume movement it comes back. Since the content on screen changes more frequently in games, movies and TV, it's a rare occurrence and doesn't detract from the experience. But as a PC monitor, yes...it does detract from the experience - except when watching videos or playing games.

I've had 2 TCL TVs and they are both surprisingly good. Very low lag, accepts OSSC resolutions no problem, and they are a ROKU. This is by far the best smart TV experience, IMO. I hooked in a Roku ultimate to my OLED and the CEC takes over, basically turning it into the same thing, but I still have to rummage through TV settings. With TCL the TV settings blend in perfectly with the Roku experience. It's seamless on 1 remote. However, OLED is really the only thing I would consider an "upgrade". I would consider LED/LCD TVs more of a lateral step towards the features you want. Before it died, I liked my Plasma better. LED didn't measure up, even at 4k. OLED is the closest thing since.

MicroLED might dethrone OLED, but that's still a ways off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:20 am 

I had some bad luck with my 4K TVs i ended with and am back to my old LG 47 inch 1080p 3DTV again still looking for a 4KTV, i first got a 55 inch Samsung Q80T and had to send it back due to panel / screen issues, then i got a 55 inch Sony X950H and had to return it mostly due to compatibility issues but it had some smaller issues too, now i'm considering just going back with something LG because, my current LG (i purchased it in late 2012) has lasted me for 8+ years with no issues and LG TVs seem to be good compatibility wise with game consoles both new and old, PCs and devices like the OSSC. I'm now looking primarily at LG's best 55 inch 4K LCD, the LG Nano 90 and the 55 inch LG CX OLED as my main options, both have their upsides and downsides, I'm still looking around but those are what i'm considering now, after dealing with some issues from other TVs. I'll list some of the pros and cons of each TV, but I'd like to hear any opinions and any experiences anyone has had with either of these TVs, or any other TVs worth consideration.

My main usage fir this TV is gaming, but i do watch TV and movies too, one of my biggest concerns with the OLED is screen burn / uneven pixel wear, as its a cumulative thing that adds up, so 100 hours with something on the screen is still 100 hours, no matter how much you vary your content in between sessions, and as a baseball fan, i do have a tendency to play some games like MLB The Show a lot, with its static scoreboards and i buy the new version every year, so in the course of say 5 years, that would be a lot of hours, just with that, and then there is the amount of hours of 4:3 content, which is what most retro gaming is, this doesn't account for any static logos on TV channels, so i think there is a legitimate concern for screen burn, but there is also a desire to have the picture quality that OLED has, its a huge temptation, and i suspect, the Nano 90 with its IPS panel and the shortcomings that brings,would be a huge downgrade from that overall. The Nano 90 is also much cheaper in price and has no screen burn issues and i would assume would be a bit better in bright rooms, like mine typically is most of the time, but i hear the OLED can hold up decently in a bright room, but a dark room is where it shines best, both TVs have good viewing angles but the OLED is better in that regard. Overall I'm torn on what to do, i just know I'm ready to get a 4KTV and am tired of having issues and having to return them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:46 pm 

With the current TCL 6-series TVs having gone up a couple hundred dollars in price compared to previous iterations (probably because of the QLED stuff), are those still the go-to budget 4K displays, or does the 5-series hold that crown now? Is the 5-series equivalent to what the 6-series (and the P-series before it) used to be?

excalibur wrote:
...am back to my old LG 47 inch 1080p 3DTV...

Don't get rid of it; you can't get 3D displays anymore. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:08 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
With the current TCL 6-series TVs having gone up a couple hundred dollars in price compared to previous iterations (probably because of the QLED stuff), are those still the go-to budget 4K displays, or does the 5-series hold that crown now? Is the 5-series equivalent to what the 6-series (and the P-series before it) used to be?

excalibur wrote:
...am back to my old LG 47 inch 1080p 3DTV...

Don't get rid of it; you can't get 3D displays anymore. :P

TCL is an interesting one for me because i hear about some of the QC issues they have, but i also hear they are a good budget option if you can get a quality panel.

As for my current 1080P 3DTV, i have no intentions of getting rid of it, it will go in another room, it has been a solid TV even if the 3D mode doesn't really get much use nowadays, it makes a good backup option if i get another clunker of a 4KTV, which i hope i don't but it has been moved back and forth now a couple times for that reason. I was looking at the number of screen on hours my current TV has, it has over 16000 hours of screen on time in 8+ years. I seriously doubt any TV i get now will last like that.

Offline Profile