RQ: Thunder Dragon 2's P1 vs P2 ship, and bomb management

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
copy-paster

RQ: Thunder Dragon 2's P1 vs P2 ship, and bomb management

Post by copy-paster »

P1 and P2 ship in this game is really night and day. I wonder what's the difference besides the ship speed and power shot, is the bomb deals same damage to both ship? which one ship that would go for a quick clear? etc.

About bombing, yeah I know this game is very generous with bombs (I like it so much) and now the real question is where's the best place to use bomb management? I watch few replays of stage 7 and 8 and it look like the game gives you few bombs than other stages, yet some players mostly waste their bombs on these stages.
trap15

Re: RQ: Thunder Dragon 2's P1 vs P2 ship, and bomb managemen

Post by trap15 »

I recommend learning the game for a while with P2 to familiarize yourself with the game. Once you're hitting stage 4 or 5 consistently, I think it's time to switch to P1; the extra power is very advantageous for the second half of the game, and makes P2 much harder to clear with imo. I think probably the bombs do the same damage, P1 might deal more.

As far as bomb management... Stage 7 is brutally hard, and it's never worth dying with bombs. Stage 8 is easier than 7 with practice, but again it's worth bombing instead of dying. There's no real wasting of bombs once you're at these stages anyways, unless you're on your last life (since you'll need the bombs for the last boss). I don't think there's any meaningful management to do, just use them when you're scared.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
copy-paster

Re: RQ: Thunder Dragon 2's P1 vs P2 ship, and bomb managemen

Post by copy-paster »

I've copied two MAMEPlus just for setting practice mode for P1 and P2. Both have ups and downs so can't comment yet. But I do agree that final boss with P2 takes longer to kill and having more chance to get killed than P1.