UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ichinisan

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - accepting participants

Post by Ichinisan »

A quick update: Marshall just received flex PCBs from the factory in China. This is the secondary flex PCB, which carries analog signals from UltraHDMI's DAC module to the N64 AV multi-out connector. These will be paired with the small batch of final UltraHDMI HW2 boards he made in a test production in September (several dozen units). The December 31 order of 150 UltraHDMI units is still in-production after many delays with the factory in China.

There's a minor issue with the flex PCBs that just arrived. Marshall believes he can fix them manually with a hole-punch.
Marshall
- finally got the flexes
- main flex seems fine
- the analog flex was produced without the proper holes
- [image]
- got some 1.25/1.5mm hole punches on the way

Bigger: https://i.imgur.com/GN5q5tq.jpg

With some small holes in those circular pads, the pins of the N64's AV multi-out will poke through so the flex can be soldered to the existing pins.
edd247

Post by edd247 »

Ichinisan wrote:A quick update: Marshall just received flex PCBs from the factory in China. This is the secondary flex PCB, which carries analog signals from UltraHDMI's DAC module to the N64 AV multi-out connector. These will be paired with the small batch of final UltraHDMI HW2 boards he made in a test production in September (several dozen units). The December 31 order of 150 UltraHDMI units is still in-production after many delays with the factory in China.

There's a minor issue with the flex PCBs that just arrived. Marshall believes he can fix them manually with a hole-punch.
Marshall
- finally got the flexes
- main flex seems fine
- [image]

With some small holes in those circular pads, the pins of the N64's AV multi-out will poke through so the flex can be soldered to the existing pins.
Thanks for the update. Will that small batch of several dozen be going to round 7 pre-orders?
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

edd247 wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:A quick update: Marshall just received flex PCBs from the factory in China. This is the secondary flex PCB, which carries analog signals from UltraHDMI's DAC module to the N64 AV multi-out connector. These will be paired with the small batch of final UltraHDMI HW2 boards he made in a test production in September (several dozen units). The December 31 order of 150 UltraHDMI units is still in-production after many delays with the factory in China.

Marshall
- finally got the flexes
- main flex seems fine
- [image]

Thanks for the update. Will that small batch of several dozen be going to round 7 pre-orders?
Yes. The list is sorted by the date+time I received payment for the kit. I will assign the kits to group-buy participants once I receive and test all of them.
kyleg001

Post by kyleg001 »

Ichinisan,

This is getting exciting. Not sure if my messages are showing up on the forum. I just signed up for the forum and wanted to see if you got my email request on the 14th for x5 kits. Please let me know and where i can submit payment.
Thank you and have a great day.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Has it been disclosed yet whether the analogue output is original modes, post-processed, or selectable?
viper1701

Post by viper1701 »

Thanks for the update!!!!!
Link83

Post by Link83 »

nmalinoski wrote:Has it been disclosed yet whether the analogue output is original modes, post-processed, or selectable?
I too would like to know this. It would also be good to know if the analog output resolution can be set independently of the HDMI output (e.g. 480p HDMI with 240p Analog)
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

nmalinoski wrote:Has it been disclosed yet whether the analogue output is original modes, post-processed, or selectable?
Link83 wrote:
I too would like to know this. It would also be good to know if the analog output resolution can be set independently of the HDMI output (e.g. 480p HDMI with 240p Analog)
Got an answer from Marshall:

Ichinisan
- asking if the Y/Pb/Pr output supports 480p / 720p / etc.
- I assume it's native resolution only (240p / 480i).

Marshall
- yeah it is native only. the only processing is gamma and deblur
magnus

Post by magnus »

Hi Ichinisan,

how can I reach you for pre ordering 2 ultrahdmi kits?

After a long internet search I just found this forum :) I just registered here but can't find a button to send you a private message for my pre order.

Best,
magnus
strayan

Post by strayan »

I’d love to know if it’s possible for the ultrahdmi to output 240p120.
Dax

Post by Dax »

magnus wrote:Hi Ichinisan,

how can I reach you for pre ordering 2 ultrahdmi kits?

After a long internet search I just found this forum :) I just registered here but can't find a button to send you a private message for my pre order.

Best,
magnus
His email address (along with all the information he needs from you when you make the order) is all in the first post of this thread!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

strayan wrote:I’d love to know if it’s possible for the ultrahdmi to output 240p120.
I believe that would be within the bandwidth limitations, but why? It's not like the N64 can render at 120fps; all it would be doing is repeating frames and introducing more display lag than necessary.
strayan

Post by strayan »

nmalinoski wrote:
strayan wrote:I’d love to know if it’s possible for the ultrahdmi to output 240p120.
I believe that would be within the bandwidth limitations, but why? It's not like the N64 can render at 120fps; all it would be doing is repeating frames and introducing more display lag than necessary.
For the same reason SWISS does. Scanlines on a 31kHz CRT.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

strayan wrote:For the same reason SWISS does. Scanlines on a 31kHz CRT.
? That's not a thing Swiss does. At least not yet.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:
GBI, apologies.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Well, the reason there was to reduce end-to-end latency.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:
Wait, what? It's possible?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Yes, it is possible, but it's tricky to make the necessary patches to the Dolphin SDK.
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

I’d like to get in on this round for 1 UltraHDMI kit please

EDIT: Sent email this morning! Thanks!
Last edited by dannahan on Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codeX

Post by codeX »

Emailed OP to get in on the pre-order.. thanks!
Landspeeder95

Post by Landspeeder95 »

Emailed OP to get in on the pre-order.

@Ichinisan I'll submit payment as soon as you kindly let me know to where :)

Thanks folks - this has made my year - my 8 year old daughter is running around in glee over this news :)

My newish TV does not accept the n64 signal so I've been attempting to play my cartridges' z64 that I've harvested using my INLretro/Kazzo
Alas, emulation is glitchy at best even using a powerful pc. Favorite games frequently crash and some will not play properly at all.

I'm salivating over the thought of combining the UltraHDMI along with an krikzz.Everdrive - hopefully I can move all the saves over from my pc.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Hi, everyone. I haven't heard anything else from Marshall about fixing those analog flex PCBs and sending me the first batch of HW2 kits, but I will update as soon as I hear anything.

I've been working on things at home but I'll try to respond to some emails tonight.
ThinFizzy

Post by ThinFizzy »

@Ichinisan

Hi James,

I'm interested in joining the 7th round of UltraHDMI orders.

I sent you an email earlier that answers all the questions you listed in the OP.

I will forward the payment as soon as you send details.

Thanks!
1ultranalu

Post by 1ultranalu »

Hello all, if you are still accepting people on the wait list, i am happy to put my name down and follow the guidelines set! my email is arnold.dajar@gmail.com and i will be messaging the OP as well
dryja123

Post by dryja123 »

E-mail sent. Looking forward to getting in on the group buy!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Still working to catch up on email.

Marshall contacted me last night. I expected to receive a bunch of test units last year, but it looks like I'll finally get something very soon. He implied the firmware is still being tweaked a bit.

Marshall
- the rgb flex works perfect
- how about i send you a test unit before i finalize the firmware 100%
- or there will be units with bugs :)
- [pic1]
- [pic2]

Ichinisan
- That will be great! Also I can update each one when I test them (if that will save you the trouble). I would use my EverDrive v2.5
- Having one to experiment with would be great. I'd test to see if an updated' "no-cut" design is needed since so many people want that.

bigger: https://i.imgur.com/fbA6KIT.jpg
Top-down photo. Wires are for a temporary header so Marshall can continually reprogram the board while developing firmware. That way he won't need to package updates in an N64 ROM file or keep shuffling the boards and cables around.

bigger: https://i.imgur.com/HjUfBJ0.jpg
Photo from underneath. Secondary flex PCB from DAC connects to N64's AV multi-out. DAC has a push-on connector to interface with UltraHDMI HW2.
raidriar

Post by raidriar »

Are there still slots in the group buy for ultrahdmi? I emailed the address listed in the first post and got no reply.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

raidriar wrote:Are there still slots in the group buy for ultrahdmi? I emailed the address listed in the first post and got no reply.
Yessir! I will finish going through 10 days of email backlog tonight.
Jon8RFC

Post by Jon8RFC »

Good info and thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm looking forward to keeping one my favorite systems forward-compatible with TV connections.

Side note, since others may see this and buy one of these, too. Are you comfortable doing the WiiDual installation? I pre-ordered one of those and these are the installation instructions.
pintarider

Post by pintarider »

Hello, I emailed the email on the first page of this thread a few days ago regarding the group buy of Ultra HDMI but got no reply. I hope Im not too late to get in. Is there a way to know if I sent it correctly or if you guys recieved it?