Troubles running night raid and zanac x zanac

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
heli

Troubles running night raid and zanac x zanac

Post by heli »

I am having troubles with night raid for PS1, it has black background and enemys.
Anyone know how to solve this ?

Zanac x zanac als hangs on loading.
Anyone ?

I checked the internet and no one has answer, maybe here ? "how can you live without night raid as shmup fan ?"
Playing on a raspberry pi 3B retro pie

thanks
WelshMegalodon

Re: Troubles running night raid and zanac x zanac

Post by WelshMegalodon »

How can you live using an underpowered piece of shit like a Pi 3 as a shmup fan?

Anyway, I'm not sure about Night Raid, but Zanac x Zanac being broken in RetroPie appears to be a known problem. I'd recommend trying them in standalone Mednafen before anything else.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
heli

Post by heli »

So with raspi4 not broken ?
I go buy the 4 if i have all games for the pi3 installed.

Can i use the same USB stick in the newer pi4 ?
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

What's stopping you from buying an x86-based machine? Pi systems have many strengths, but emulation isn't one of them, despite half the Internet wanting to believe otherwise.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

WelshMegalodon wrote:What's stopping you from buying an x86-based machine? Pi systems have many strengths, but emulation isn't one of them, despite half the Internet wanting to believe otherwise.
This. Learned this the hard way myself after investing in a nearly useless pi bartop that I ended up reselling at a loss.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Care to share your experiences in detail? We need more people getting the truth out there.
BIL

Post by BIL »

FWIW, Night Raid is an infamously bitchy disc. Has input lag issues on PS2, if I recall right (though it's not outright broken on PS2 like Toaplan Shooting Battle Vol.1, or Gradius Deluxe Pack, or the slowdown-choked stage 7 of Gradius Gaiden).
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I recall Night Raid, Zanac X Zanac and Raiden DX* being pretty playable on a Windows XP machine of PC, using ye olde ePSXe (just the same plugins and setup I'd played FFVII with, earlier in the day). Zanac X Zanac in particular seemed less troubled, emulated via ePSXe, than it felt when played on actual PS2. Also, you can use a vibrating controller with ePSXe, which actually gives fairly relevant feedback in Zanac X Zanac (makes you feel immediately when the charged shot is ready to discharge; I know of no other shmup making such a substantial use of vibrations, worth at least checking out - you might like it).
ePSXe tends to be frowned upon by some, but what I'm saying is - those games CAN be enjoyed if played on it, even using a very antiquated computer to run it.

*) The only disc image of DX I could find at the time was of a scratched disc and would freeze on the PS2 good enough to play the US Valkyrie Profile burnt on CDs to completion, and guess what, wheen feeding the same DX image off HDD to ePSXe, DX stuttered in places, but wouldn't freeze completely.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

heli

Post by heli »

I still use windows XP machines for several things, not gaming.
I dont feel comfortable behind a PC for gaming.
The pi replaces my game consoles.

Once the pi has PS2 and Saturn and Dreamcast running i have those for sale ( 1 slim PS2, 2 DC, 1 modded saturn with all many gamepads and dreamcast gun ).
My house is to full of garbage i cant fit another computer.

I,m also selling my PS2 PAL shmup collection then.
heli

Post by heli »

BIL wrote:FWIW, Night Raid is an infamously bitchy disc. Has input lag issues on PS2, if I recall right (though it's not outright broken on PS2 like Toaplan Shooting Battle Vol.1, or Gradius Deluxe Pack, or the slowdown-choked stage 7 of Gradius Gaiden).
Shooting battle works fine here, gradius also only i not playing those.
What is wrong ?

I see more troubles in the neo-geo titles with slowdown.
And i have the feeling this whole pi has input lag somehow.
BIL

Post by BIL »

On a PS2, Toaplan Shooting Battle Vol.1's Kyuukyoku Tiger and Tiger Heli both run at glacial speed. IIRC, its Tiger Heli works fine.

Gradius Deluxe Pack will crash when loading either game. Gradius Gaiden's seventh stage runs at half speed.

A couple more off the top of my head... R-Type Delta's pause menu is illegible. The options do work, but you'll want a screenshot to reference, if you're not already familiar with the game. Namco Museum Encore's Rolling Thunder is yet another slowdown case.

I might be a bit off on the specifics - it's been a few years since I ran 'em on anything but an NTSCJ PS1. Basically, if you want to play PS1 arcade conversions, get an actual PS1. That's been my approach over the decades, anyway. Smooth sailing, so far. :wink:

(actually, with M2's Kyuukyoku Tiger scheduled, and Gradius I & II arcade-perfect on PS4 via Arcade Archives, you're better off playing those than the PS1 discs - see also Arcade Gears: Image Fight & X-Multiply and Kaitei Daisensou. I love 'em all but they're curios nowadays, not that there's anything wrong with curios!)
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Given that this guy went ahead and bought a Pi 3 despite two threads and multiple members of this forum telling him it was a bad idea, I really don't think he's going to care.
heli wrote:I have no time to find out how linux works, maybe later.

Have fun trying to play PS2 games on a Pi, OP.
heli

Post by heli »

@ welsh i have it from a friend for a nice price with everything complete and trying to get the best out of it.
Later i will get the raspi4, then i give this one away fully packed on hi res.

Now i,m having problems with setting the resolution for PS1.
I cant change any resolution, it looks very blocky pixxels.

Psx rearmed also dont has high resolutions i read,
is there not another emulator for raspi ?
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

"I got this hunk of junk from my friend even though everyone on SHMUPS told me it was a hunk of junk. Then I discovered that it really was a hunk of junk, so I'm planning to give it to someone else."

For the love of God, dude, make a freaking plant monitor or a security camera or something else that the Pi is actually suited to doing. If you're actually planning to push your RetroPie crap onto some other unsuspecting individual, I have zero sympathy for you.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

heli wrote:Later i will get the raspi4
Don't. The clock speed increase isn't enough to use a better PS1 emulator, you will run into the exact same issues that you are currently having.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Locking topic - Off topic, please ask your emulation questions on RetroPie forums https://retropie.org.uk/forum/, not here. Thank you.