i am buying a pi3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
heli

i am buying a pi3

Post by heli »

Can i play all cave games in full-HD tate mode on a Pi-3B ?
I,m buying a raspi 3B from someone.

What games does not work on a 3B ?
Pi4 getting expensive to buy complete with casing PSU and microHDMI cables.
Fudoh

Re: i am buying a pi3

Post by Fudoh »

No.

CV1K games don't run on the Pi. The arcade emulation on the Pi is based on an ancient MAME (or FBA) version, so you can only play a very limited of number of titles included on this set.

The 3B is generally struggling with 1080p output. Shaders are out of the question for this res. Most Retropie setups run with 1080p on the menu and 720p for actual game output.

For CV1K emulation you need a proper machine, something like an i5 NUC.
heli

Post by heli »

Thanks Fudoh.
So even the raspi 4B is not enough ?
They can play dreamcast on a pi4.

I am total noob with raspberry and emulators.
So the maximum i get out of a pi3 is super-nintendo ?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Why did you start another raspberry pi centric thread here? Wouldn't they help you on the forums dedicated to that device?
heli

Post by heli »

Because this is a shooter forum, you should have the info, i am not member at another site.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

heli wrote:Because this is a shooter forum, you should have the info, i am not member at another site.
This is a good point, when it comes to shooter questions, I'd like to get input here as well, because people here are what I would consider experts.

That being said, I think you got the answer. Regardless of Dreamcast status, Cave stuff needs a beefier system. It might not be the Pi itself, but rather no one has ported a newer version of MAME that supports the Cave games on it yet.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

They can play dreamcast on a pi4.
because it uses GPU acceleration. 2D MAME games are stressing just the CPU and here the Pi is rather underpowered compared to a current NUC setup.
So the maximum i get out of a pi3 is super-nintendo ?
Playstation 1 runs pretty good as well, but in terms of arcade you're indeed quite limited to a PC-based setup.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Even with a 64-bit build of MAME running on a 64-bit Pi distribution (which is going a bit outside the beaten path) running on a Pi 4B with active cooling at higher clockspeeds?

I can't imagine that the CPU in any 2D arcade machine would be difficult to emulate compared to the CPU in something like a Dreamcast. It seems to me like almost all of Cave's arcade games from most of their first decade used a single 68K processor running at 20MHz or less. This is dramatically simpler to emulate than the 200 MHz SH-4 in the Dreamcast. In fact, some of the early CAVE arcade hardware looks a lot like a Sega Genesis running at higher clockspeeds, with a 68K main CPU and a Z80 handling sound.
heli

Post by heli »

1920x1080 about 2 million pixxels, it certainly stresses the CPU i can tell you Guspaz.
Even with less pixels there is much stress, GPU handles these things.
I need to learn more about it, this is a nice forum.

Still i understand your point with these antique chips, fascinating.
Last edited by heli on Sun May 17, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heli

Post by heli »

Fudoh wrote: Playstation 1 runs pretty good as well, but in terms of arcade you're indeed quite limited to a PC-based setup.
Thanks Fudoh, i always wanted to play "einhander", it was not released in PAL region.
heli

Post by heli »

Now i have to un ecm einhander somehow.
I have no time to find out how linux works, maybe later.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

The PI 4 did get a significant CPU upgrade over the other PI systems. They went from the A53 cpu to an A72 on the PI4. I have no idea if that would make enough of a difference, but a lot of people have been talking about it being a significant upgrade over the previous PIs.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

heli wrote:
Fudoh wrote: Playstation 1 runs pretty good as well, but in terms of arcade you're indeed quite limited to a PC-based setup.
Thanks Fudoh, i always wanted to play "einhander", it was not released in PAL region.
Get a modded ps1 off eBay for £40 and erm.... make your own disk :wink:

I collect PS1 games, only real collection I keep going anymore and it's my pride and joy, but £150 for the game plus another £40-50 in postage and import tax (not sure what PAL region you are from, I'm in the UK) from America is a little steep. There's always importing the Japanese version (which would still cost a pretty penny) but that has a scoring glitch on it which spoils the game to a degree for me.

I must say I have Einhander on my watch list on eBay and just now and then I am tempted (I have spent silly money on PS1 games in the past, my PAL version of Clocktower and the Megaman X games for instance) but I've always stopped myself - I think its because I just collect PAL UK and while I have a few NTSC and JAP games, they were always on the cheaper side - they don't really "fit in" with my collection.
heli

Post by heli »

Yes i am also a collector for PS1 PAL shooters, i only have raystorm and raycrisis.
I am playing r-type delta on the Pi3 now, i did not know this game was so good ( the PS2 version sucks ).

https://www.pricecharting.com/nl/game/p ... ctions-cib
This site says it was sold for 12 dollar this month.
Maybe i should make a daytask out of ebay.
I cant find it for a good price now.

I have a daytask finding roms.
Just throw on USB stick, excellent, no rotating disc.
Lasers can break, the mechanical stuff inside a CD drive also.
Pi3 is the best game console i ever had, it has the commodore 64 feeling to it that you can do something with it, like it is endless, not limited to the things you buy, you can also get creative on it.

The playstation getting worse and worse, with the online things, they wont let you start in the game, no first can go to the playstation-store, that is how they make it.
Lets hope the PS5 dont have realtime adds or more commercial things, i want a option that boots the game, i know i can get epilepsy already for many many times they told me.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

heli wrote:Yes i am also a collector for PS1 PAL shooters, i only have raystorm and raycrisis.
I am playing r-type delta on the Pi3 now, i did not know this game was so good ( the PS2 version sucks ).
Raystorm is great, I've not picked up Raycrisis yet, I also enjoy R-Type delta, didn't know there was a PS2 version. G-Darius is also a winner (though the PS2 version of that is actually better). Strikers 1945 II is also lots of fun (and it's usually less than a £5.00 game so you can't go wrong) and In the Hunt (expensive).

Probably my favourites on the system are The Raiden Project and Raiden DX - both near perfect conversions of the arcade games, minus difficulty level which I personally find a little much in the arcade version, particularly in Raiden 2. Obviously a perfect arcade port of these games is nothing now, but it was a huge deal at the time.

I've never heard of Einhander going for that small a price (at least not this side of 2010) I wish I'd seen that lol.
heli

Post by heli »

This game is my favourite now : space shot
It is very cheap on ebay, only not PAL.