Switch shmup games list

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Switch shmup games list

Post by BrianC »

Plus Alpha sounds like something that should be at the end of a game title. I'm liking the game so far, though.
velo

Post by velo »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
ah fuck, I didn't catch the caveat in one of the later posts about not all controller types being supported!
Only the joy-cons and the Pro pad...
I only use the joy-cons portably. At home I use the hori mini-stick, and a universal Xbox clone. Oh well... The hori mini-stick may work...
Remapping also remaps the buttons in the Switch UI, which is probably not what most people would want. It seems like the feature would be ideal for universally remapping your buttons if you're using a weird controller... except if you have an odd controller it won't work anyway. It's nice you get five slots to save configs in, but it would have been that much nicer (for me) to remap on a game-by-game basis and not have the remappings carry over to the UI.

It alleviate buyer's regret on some virtually-unplayable games, but I'd still watch out for games with bad and unfixable button configs.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

Jet Lancer released today on switch.

Gameplay looks kinda like Luftrausers, but a lot more flare. It doesn't seem to have a score system either, so it's likely a more causal target audience. Still seems fun though.

This game seemed to come out of nowhere, but maybe I just wasn't aware of it. Also released on Steam today, and maybe other platforms?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Game Tengoku Cruisin' Mix Special and Thunder Force AC will be released on the NA EShop on the 28th of May.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

A quiet digital release is nothing out of the ordinary for Dispatch Games after delaying Game Tengoku for like, 9 months with barely any word.
CRP

Post by CRP »

EmperorIng wrote:A quiet digital release is nothing out of the ordinary for Dispatch Games after delaying Game Tengoku for like, 9 months with barely any word.
Release date , was announced yesterday .
Saw the news on two sites atleast ..
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/the-gam ... hes-may-28
https://nintendoeverything.com/the-game ... his-month/
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Interesting to see it's being published digitally by City Connection (the parent company), not Dispatch.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Game Paradise kinda drives me crazy, despite the enticing theme. I love the characters and art direction, but the balance never seems right.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Ms. Tea wrote:Interesting to see it's being published digitally by City Connection (the parent company), not Dispatch.

Not really, the burner phone that served as the Dispatch company HQ probably got turned off a couple months ago, so City Connection decided to just take matters in their own hands.

In other news, me and poster mojilove are handling the Raidrgy Swag western release from now on. I just need each of you to Paypal me $60 a piece for expenses. In return, I'll e-mail you a, um... download code. Seriously. That's how this is working now.

Paypal to:
this_is_seriously_not_a_scam at gmail

Radirgy Swag coming at you June 31st 2021!!!!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Did anyone pick up Plus Alpha?

I'm trying it out now. Every time I start shooting the game stutters a but, similar but not as bad as the ACA NeoGeo Strikers 1945+ was upon release (that one got patched and fixed). Just curious if this is intended behavior or not.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I got the PS4 one - I noticed some choppier-than-usual slowdown too, but from what I'd seen previewing it in MAME, it seems correct. A Japanese twitter user asked Hamster if the ACA version included slowdown, pre-release, mentioning it'd be super-difficult otherwise, so I assume it's meant to chug a bit.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Thanks. I took a look at a few videos and I'm seeing the same slowdown as in the Hamster release, so this is probably just the way the game is.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I have it on Switch and there's even a warning about slowdown affecting autofire in the control menu.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, same on PS4 (see also ACA Image Fight, and IIRC X-Multiply). I love the ruthless commitment to hardware accuracy. Image

Also, re Plus Alpha, DARK SODOM got a chuckle outta me. :mrgreen:

Dunno about this though! Image :lol:
Spoiler
Image Image
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Glad I double dipped on Ninja Spirit. Switch version has a sound issue that hasn't been fixed yet, but it was already fixed on PS4.
velo

Post by velo »

BrianC wrote:Glad I double dipped on Ninja Spirit. Switch version has a sound issue that hasn't been fixed yet, but it was already fixed on PS4.
How bad is the sound issue?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

velo wrote:
BrianC wrote:Glad I double dipped on Ninja Spirit. Switch version has a sound issue that hasn't been fixed yet, but it was already fixed on PS4.
How bad is the sound issue?
Sound effects sound a bit scratchy on switch.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

What's the most fun more modern non-Neogeo Hamster release out there? I'm thinking late 80's-90's. In The Hunt looks good but I worry I might not be very good at it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

If you've never tried X-Multiply (1988), that one is a superb example of a quality milder IREM STG. Very improv-friendly in its first loop, with a quick ship and an intuitive bullet-blocking mechanic. In The Hunt is good stuff too, and even if it gives you a hard time, Nazca's typically stunning artwork will keep you coming back. Gorgeous game. (I think it's only moderately tough by AC standards, certainly no Gradius III)

Detana Twinbee is ACA's second-newest non-Neo STG. The emulation quality is superb as usual, and it's a substantial game with an infamously hellish second loop. But as always with Twinbee, a caveat must go to the bell juggling's tendency to cause murderous rage. :wink:

Omega Fighter Special is interesting (it's bundled with Omega Fighter). Haven't played it enough to say how tough it gets (it's ranked pretty highly on the Japanese difficulty wiki, IIRC), but it's got a likeable hybrid of 80s simplicity and ripping 90s firepower, with addictive pointblank scoring and some intriguing weapon mechanics (time-slowing bombs, plus Spread and Laser being opposite ends of a scale, rather than discrete weapons ala Raiden). As always with UPL, it's got winning style, too. Lots of STGs have "huge battleship" stages - this is a huge battleship game, each stage targeting a piece of the planet-killing monstrosity as it nears Earth.
Spoiler
One of the genre's most vivid renditions of desperate struggle. Fail to turn back the beast, and this happens: One hell of a Game Over screen! ;_;7

Trigon (1990)'s supposed to get a release soon, but that one's as stone-facedly Toaplanesque as it gets. Great if that's what you're in the mood for though. Going outside the genre for a second, Sunset Riders is upcoming too.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

In The Hunt is not super tough. For good or bad, the game relies a lot on memorizing safe spots to be in. There are parts of most stages, and even a couple bosses, where you can just hang out in one spot and dodge most/all enemy fire. It's a bit slow, but I still have a soft spot for it.

Also, I had no idea Sunset Riders was incoming! I have the SNES and Genesis ports, and have pondered picking up the pricey PCB for years. Such a gift to get that one at home!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, people are rightly stoked! I hope this'll lead to more 90s ACA stuff. Mystic Warriors, Violent Storm, XEXEX, R-Type Leo, Geostorm, Undercover Cops, Gun Hohki... could be a great time.

I'm really happy to see Trigon finally get a home release, joining its fellow superunknowns A-JAX and Flak Attack.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Jonpachi wrote:In The Hunt is not super tough. For good or bad, the game relies a lot on memorizing safe spots to be in. There are parts of most stages, and even a couple bosses, where you can just hang out in one spot and dodge most/all enemy fire. It's a bit slow, but I still have a soft spot for it.

Also, I had no idea Sunset Riders was incoming! I have the SNES and Genesis ports, and have pondered picking up the pricey PCB for years. Such a gift to get that one at home!
I tried in the hunt and it really wasn't my jam. The animation and sprite work is gorgeous of course, but there is so much happening on screen that it seems like at least part of the challenge is focusing on bullets with all the chaos and knowing what will hurt you and what won't. All of that can be learned, but it's a little sloppy.

Kinda feels like a trial run for what would eventually become Metal Slug.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Yea, I used to have In The Hunt on the PSX and it's not something I could get into much.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Definitely go for X-Multiply then, pretty much the polar opoosite of ITH's deliberate pace. Fast-moving and (relatively) forgiving game (for IREM :wink:). First loop's a great time, second will keep you occupied a bit longer.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

X-Multiply is a great game. Criminally overlooked. I've not yet beaten it, but I had practiced it up a few years ago to be able to get to the final stage.

The final boss is a real tough one though. You have to execute a pattern but it's pretty confusing to count. And there's a lot on the line if you mess up. Maybe there's an easier way?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I don't think there is! In the end I just had to pick a section of the screen and learn all the movements that encroach on that area (I stuck to the bottom-left/centre). It's really nerve-wracking even when you've got it all sussed out. On the plus side, you can make the rest of the stage incredibly easy for yourself by proactively taking out the nests that spawn those meandering orbs that tend to clog up the screen. The level is basically empty without them and easier than stage 1.
BIL

Post by BIL »

A big plus of the ACA release, versus the long-serving Arcade Gears PS1/SS disc, is the fully-viewable playfield. I remember those generators being a bigger problem on AG, since they're outside the slightly cropped screen (though technically still destroyable if you know what you're doing, IIRC).

This goes double for AG's other title, Image Fight, a game which did not need to feel any more claustrophobic! Have since retired my PS1 copy, much like ol' standby Gradius Deluxe Pack (and In The Hunt, now that I think of it).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I definitely prefer the ACA Detana Twinbee over the PSX port. It doesn't support tate and the shimmering gives me the impression that it runs in 480i.
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

"Euro Shmup", Steel Rain is out now. Not very exciting at all.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

BIG week on the Switch:

Darius Cosmic Collection Arcade
Darius Cosmic Collection Console
Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special
Thunderforce AC