Dream Shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DraconicImpulse

Re: Dream Shmup

Post by DraconicImpulse »

I just want the full release of iMalice already, I can't stay hyped much longer when I discovered it 4 years ago.

Other than that, more games that thread the line between bullet hell and classic. Stuff like Dangun Feveron and CRS68k, with a lot of very fast bullets to dance between.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

mycophobia wrote:this but Tatsujin Ou
well fuck, let's just make it an early Toaplan comp with Truxon 1, 2, Fire Shark, and Twin Cobra
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

scrilla4rella wrote:
well fuck, let's just make it an early Toaplan comp with Truxon 1, 2, Fire Shark, and Twin Cobra
i would buy this three times
DraconicImpulse

Post by DraconicImpulse »

scrilla4rella wrote:
Add Dogyuun and it's perfect
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

DraconicImpulse wrote:I just want the full release of iMalice already, I can't stay hyped much longer when I discovered it 4 years ago.
Aye, I don't have much hope of that ever seeing a full release. At least we have the demo, and i-20000 by the same devs.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Well... g.Rev actually put up a blog entry about a month ago (the first since October).
And... They're doing pretty much all sub-contracting.
But... They mention that something is in the works that will bare their name. But, they can't talk about what it is right now.

Obviously, it's something with a little more recognition than "twin stick rouge-like shooter" since they can't even mention what it is.

But... Since Under Defeat HD landed with a resounding 'thud' (which was not their fault, but anyway). I'm not totally sure they'd be spending their time, money, and energy on following that up.
Interesting news and thanks for sharing.

Strania Ex is already a thing. Border Down or a new Gradius? Guess we'll see.
My lord, I have come for you.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

blossom wrote:OK so disregarding the special dipswitch, Omega Fighter Special (the PCB) is or is not different from Omega Fighter?
It is a different PCB.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

To be honest, I have been so incredibly satisfied with the genre for a good bit that I can't even think of anything original I'd want. I'm quite easy to please. All I want are kickass, spaceship themed STG's. And some variety. For a time I remember being annoyed with the sheer volume of waifu bullet hell games. Bullet Hell is the shit and even my preferred, but I wanted some more classic stuff like Devil Engine and Infinos Gaiden. And the waifu stuff is...no.
But lately, pretty much all of my preferred angles of the genre have all been greatly satisfied. Unless we're counting 3rd person on-rails stuff. In which, god I just want an actually good StarFox for ONCE. There's an artist by the name of Ben Hickling doing basically that though so even that's sort of covered for me. haha

(Also, I heard that on the M2 DoDonPachi port. That'd be slick.)
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Unless we're counting 3rd person on-rails stuff. In which, god I just want an actually good StarFox for ONCE. There's an artist by the name of Ben Hickling doing basically that though so even that's sort of covered for me.
Hmmmm... Can you elaborate? I too have a jones for a good rail (the last one was Orta? Maybe Sin and Punishment... My Space Harrier dream doesn't count), would love a good StarFox, but when I do a search for that artist, I get nothing but drawings of cartoon vixens with cantaloupe tits.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Darius Galaktic Collection for Nintendo Switch

Standard Version (7000 jpy)
Darius Gaiden Extra
G Darius
Dariusburst
Dariusburst SP
Metal Black

Limited Edition (14,000 jpy)
Darius Plus
Super Darius
Darius MD
Super Darius 2
Sega Bass Fishing

Amazon Exclusive Preorder Bullshit
Darius R

Beep Limited Edition (60,000 jpy)
Another copy of Darius Odyssey with 5 new pages!
1:1 scale replica Tuna Sashimi!
Officially licensed Hisayoshi Ogura Body Pillow!
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
Unless we're counting 3rd person on-rails stuff. In which, god I just want an actually good StarFox for ONCE. There's an artist by the name of Ben Hickling doing basically that though so even that's sort of covered for me.
Hmmmm... Can you elaborate? I too have a jones for a good rail (the last one was Orta? Maybe Sin and Punishment... My Space Harrier dream doesn't count), would love a good StarFox, but when I do a search for that artist, I get nothing but drawings of cartoon vixens with cantaloupe tits.
Yeah he's also a cartoon pinup artist. He kinda just started his game relative to how long he's actually been producing content. His game is currently called Ex Zodiac. It's not nearly close to done but it still looks rad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-wT4h4h2pM
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

ACSeraph wrote: Sega Bass Fishing
1:1 scale replica Tuna Sashimi!
Officially licensed Hisayoshi Ogura Body Pillow!
How much for these items only
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

His game is currently called Ex Zodiac. It's not nearly close to done but it still looks rad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-wT4h4h2pM
That looks really good!
I kinda love that the boss throws trees at you.
Sega Bass Fishing
HA!
(Although, I've always been more of a Marine/Bass 2 man myself...)
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
His game is currently called Ex Zodiac. It's not nearly close to done but it still looks rad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-wT4h4h2pM
That looks really good!
I kinda love that the boss throws trees at you.
I love the boss. He looks so goofy in his absolutely non intimidating low poly goodness. He looks like he's throwing a tantrum flailing his arms. It's wonderful.
Xx_Henry_xX

Post by Xx_Henry_xX »

I happen to get quite a number of ideas on the shmups I want to make. Guess I can share them here since I also want to play them as well.
  • Not-so-standard vertical shooter containing airbikes which mixes the following:
    • Dragon Breed (Dragon / Rider -> Bike + Options / Rider)
    • Gondomania (Split Bike / Rider weapons)
    • Out Zone/FixEight (Playstyle when off the bike)
    • Shock Troopers (Controls for the Rider weapons + Jumping)
    • Armed Police Batrider (The whole airbike concept)
  • Semi Bullet Hell with Raiden-Like powerups except that they are clustered as if it was Cho Ren Sha 68k (Complete with significantly stronger weapon when pulling "collect 3 at once" trick)
    • Semi Bullet Hell being there mostly because there wouldn't be a lot of opportunities to pull the trick off if it was a full bullet hell
  • Gradius with 2 gauges
    • Only here for experimential purposes
ShotOfSelf

Post by ShotOfSelf »

My dream shmup contains bullet patterns you can sight-read just like Touhou but for enemies as well, not just the bosses. And unlike Touhou I want actual well designed stages in between bosses along with satisfying weapons and explosions. It would also have a nice mix of music with heavy and soft songs for balance, like Batsugun.
DrTrouserPlank wrote: I don't see how I can get any better. The reason I am not improving is because I am as good as it is possible to be.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

The dream STG / Shmups that I want to make would be the following:

Multi-direction dual stick shooting racing hybrid
Some sort of ASO / Alpha Mission + Terra Cresta Hybrid
Some crazy module gauge based shmup like Gradius
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

I have had countless dreams of Raiden DX II. Even before I was aware of the existence of the Raiden III DX prototype, I always dreamed about a proper sequel to DX. Sometimes, the dreams would be strange and the game would be presented to me as an all-directional shooter similar to Ace Combat Advance. But for the most part, it would consist of the following:

The same 2D graphic style as II/DX, but vastly improved and polished up. More detailed background environments, a wider variety of locations, more detailed destruction (tons more debris effects and particles such as sparks, flames, explosions, and even lingering smoke pouring from craters and damaged buildings). There were even variable weather systems and day/night cycles as well, such as a stage featuring a large highway swarming with tanks through a city at dawn, with fog obscuring the area.

The same multiple course system, but this time around it has 6 different courses: Alpha/Bravo/Charlie/Delta/Echo/Foxtrot

New and familiar enemies, new attack patterns and weaponry to deal with.

Strangely enough, the presence of large biological enemies/monstrosities as well as the usual vehicles. Lots of enemies camouflaged within the environment as well.

The same scoring system with the decaying medals, and a lot more hidden secrets that can potentially trigger different enemy encounters and branching routes within stages.

Lots more music. Different soundtracks that can be selected. Classic (music from the original II/DX but remastered on cleaner sounding instruments). New (Similar in style to the New Release ost on the PSX version, lots of melodic stuff with that Megaman X influence and tracks like Dawn of Sorrow from Raiden III). Modern (Similar to Raiden V's music with lots of Ace Combat influence). No repeating tracks over the stages with New and Modern in order to give extreme variety.

Oddly enough, I don't recall dreaming about any new weapons or aircraft you can use. I guess I don't want to go overboard and turn it into Raiden Fighters.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I had a dream about a Saidaioujou x Cho Aniki crossover game, where everybody was inexplicably super buff. It was like a bodybuilder war or... something, like buff Hikari was piloting her ship, which somehow had abs on it, and fighting against waves of those two buff guy options from Cho Aniki.

Futaba Sakura from Persona 5 was also in the dream, playing the game with me. She was also super buff for unclear reasons. She thought it was kusoge.
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

DraconicImpulse wrote:I just want the full release of iMalice already, I can't stay hyped much longer when I discovered it 4 years ago.

Other than that, more games that thread the line between bullet hell and classic. Stuff like Dangun Feveron and CRS68k, with a lot of very fast bullets to dance between.
I know this is old, but just got around to reading the thread today.

This looks pretty cool. Shame it sounds to be vaporware. It makes me think of a few games, but Rym 9000 came to mind first. I think it is just vague graphic similarities.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

cave hermit wrote:Futaba Sakura from Persona 5 was also in the dream, playing the game with me. She was also super buff for unclear reasons. She thought it was kusoge.
Well, the "best girl" debate for that entry is now officially over.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I have had my dream shmup I wanted to make since 1988.. some R-type hybrid with highly destructable environment / giant enemies and Metal Hurlant - fantasy/scifi art style. If my current game project fails to get funding, and I will go bankrupt, I will probably just go to hermit mode and do it on my own with Unreal Engine.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

The following stems from nothing more than some hazy memories and is therefore arguably not the most logical thing.

For two years or so, I thought I had at one point seen something I construed as being some weird predecessor to Eliminate Down, or at least a game that had an unusual number of characteristics in common with it. Everything was arranged differently and weakly shining through, but I especially remember the narrow corridors and these spinning, regrowing "cuboid barriers" featured in ED's stage 7. But I couldn't nail it down..

Recently, I dreamed of this (again?), and suddenly - although I'm still mulling over this sometimes because I'm not certain - I was able to name a clue: Space Manbow.
I hadn't seen this game in ages, and never played it myself. After viewing a corresponding longplay, I was, at first, disappointed: what I saw had virtually nothing in common with the images I had somehow persuaded myself with. There was one thing uncannily conspicious, however: the introduction of the 6th stage boss, and the boss itself, is quite similar to the 7th one in ED, to the point that I doubt it's mere happenstance. Seriously: open your favourite video platform and compare these two sections in the games.

I believe I knew ED for a good while before I saw SM for the first time. I must have unconsciously connected both games at some point after seeing Space Manbow's stage 6, and in the course of time imputed more analogies than there actually are. At any rate, I thought this was interesting.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

cave hermit wrote:I had a dream about a Saidaioujou x Cho Aniki crossover game, where everybody was inexplicably super buff. It was like a bodybuilder war or... something, like buff Hikari was piloting her ship, which somehow had abs on it, and fighting against waves of those two buff guy options from Cho Aniki.

Futaba Sakura from Persona 5 was also in the dream, playing the game with me. She was also super buff for unclear reasons. She thought it was kusoge.
Can we call it Attack of the Banana Hammocks?

Cyber Banana Hammocks

Blissful Banana Hammock Death

You see where I'm going with this.
My lord, I have come for you.
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

I once dreamt of a verticle shmup based on the heavy metal band Judas Priest. Sounds weird, until you think about it.

You only need to look at the front cover of the albums for Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, Painkiller, Redeemer of Souls and Firepower to see ideas for bosses. Heck, Firepower's front cover literally looks to have a space ship straight from a goddamn shmup!

Again, looking at the booklets for the albums, as well as listening to the lyrics to a huge number of their songs is enough to give any developer inspiration for various locations the game could be set in, and enemies to fight.

And, as for music, it goes without saying you could just include music directly from the band's huge discography.

I was playing a few switch shmups whilst listening to their albums, like I always do, when these kinds of images hit me in a dream. Not a clear dream. Just a mixture of their music playing, mainly the ship from Firepower shooting whilst avoiding waves of bullet hell attacks.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I would love a hand drawn, sketchy, black and white game. Not necessarily an old 1930's art style, but traditionally done like CupHead was. Very smooth animation. And have everything still be typical cool spaceships just in this artsy-fartsy look.

And if I could make games myself, I had a really nutty idea of a StarFox and GunStar Heroes crossover I always wanted to see happen (if mostly because I think "GunStarFox Heroes" sounds dope as shit). Like "Act 1" being the platforming run 'n' gun that then transitions to "Act 2" being the shooting.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

^ Neither monochrome nor strictly drawn in a traditional style, but the in-development ZOE is noteworthy for sure, the developer posts updates here :) The way more cheesy or silly, let's say, style of Freedom Finger might also be interesting. Haven't played it though, so I can't say much about its qualities as a shmup.

"GunStarFox Heroes" remotely reminds me of the grandiose Rocket Knight Adventures: features both platforming and STG sections, you pilot different types of vehicles, was developed by Konami being somewhat related to Treasure, and Sparkster's appearance is arguably, under a few concessions, not entirely dissimilar to a fox. The shooting and platforming sections are not balanced however, the focus clearly lies on the latter - and the shooting happens in 2D. A true crossover would definitely be rad!

By the way, in the meantime I actually remembered the game I was vaguely speaking of, so it was not just delusion all along. :D Needless to say memories distorted it somewhat, and Space Manbow and that other game inadvertently got fused into a single concept, making it more impressive. I nevertheless think that what remains is noteworthy. Details are for another time though, the ideal is to give this a due discussion with relish! Unless somebody points it out, then I'd be glad to acknowledge it Image
Spoiler
Edit: gonna do something nerdy and silly now, please forgive me Image

Of course, assuming I'm just acting self-important or something and actually don't know a game that fits the description, if somebody were to come up and name one, I could then just say: oh, yep, that was it!
So to prove that I'm not hoaxing anyone (not that I'd have the need), or anyway, just because I can, here's a hashsum:

SHA256("The game in question is 'X' https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1409537#p1409537 Y") = 5b4a142a3592ebeaae25b5885c179321e21e066b3e29a9641316f8aeff04bf8d

Where X stands for, obviously, the name of the game, and Y is a randomly generated password. Why am I posting this? It's so I'm able to prove in the future that I knew the game now.
If somebody names the game, I can just publish Y, and anybody will be able to verify that the hash is correct and therefore that I knew the game at the time of posting this (and if I name the game myself the same procedure applies).
But nobody can deduce the name of the game from the hash. Pretty neat, eh?
DCell

Post by DCell »

Silpheed, but with even more and longer FMV stages and slightly faster pacing to compensate. Minus that BS midboss at the end of stage 11, and with the extended FMVs, a longer, more intense final boss with more health. So you're still racing against the inevitable insta-death ray, but it's a longer fight.
AZA

Post by AZA »

SONIC WINGS for PC Engine HuCARD
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

mycophobia wrote:
scrilla4rella wrote:my dream shmup is an M2 port of Dodonpachi
this but Tatsujin Ou
scrilla4rella wrote:well fuck, let's just make it an early Toaplan comp with Truxon 1, 2, Fire Shark, and Twin Cobra
Predicting the future. Well, they're not going to be in comps, but yeah.

I would very much like some kind of remake of Guardian Legend where the overworld is like Metroid Prime and the shmup levels are Ikaruga-ish. Only vertizontal.