TUTORIAL for TVOne Corio2 240p Downscalers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: TUTORIAL for TVOne Corio2 240p Downscalers

Post by Fudoh »

BNC/VGA doesn't have a specific direction. I would try to get the BNC gender though.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

coderkind wrote: Thanks; I've ordered the SCART to BNC cable, but still struggling with sourcing a BNC to VGA (I can't see anywhere selling one). I can see plenty of VGA to BNC; can I use gender changers on the BNC terminals (if direction isn't important on this step)?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extron-6FT-S ... Swy7lc3zX-
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

Do the 1T-C2-100/150 series from TV One work similarly to the 400 in 240p? They have the same VGA/RGB HD15 connectors, but have composite and S-video output as well?

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/ ... 50-videlco

Somewhat related but is it correct that the TVOne Corio2 models will take a component video input (using the component to VGA cable) but the Extron VSC's will not? I was reading Extron documentation and doesn't seem like it accepts YPbPr.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Greg2600 wrote:Do the 1T-C2-100/150 series from TV One work similarly to the 400 in 240p? They have the same VGA/RGB HD15 connectors, but have composite and S-video output as well?
I bought a C2-150 by accident for $10 and 240p didn't work. 240p (pretty sure but not positive) can ONLY be output via a higher type connection like RGBS, RGsB, YPbPr, RGBHV, etc. Composite won't be in 240p (and was all jacked up when I used the regular 240p settings on my C2-150).

Greg2600 wrote:Somewhat related but is it correct that the TVOne Corio2 models will take a component video input (using the component to VGA cable) but the Extron VSC's will not? I was reading Extron documentation and doesn't seem like it accepts YPbPr.
I use the 5x BNC to VGA dongle on my Corio2's, and input YPbPr/Component on the Red, Green, and Blue lines and it works perfect.

I just looked at the back of my VSC 900 I keep forgetting to sell, and that looks like it can input AND output YPbPr. There's a bunch of different VSC's though: 500, 700, 900, maybe others, which I know have some different inputs/outputs.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The VSC900 is the only one to accept component. All others only accept RGB signals (RGBHV, RGBs and RGsB).
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

Great input (no pun) as usual here, thanks. I inquired on the 100/150 because they seem to be available a lot cheaper than 400's. As for 240p output on those, I'm using a 27" Trinitron so even if its 480i I wouldn't mind, but it may not do that either? I've posted about it before, but I've got a weird usage for these. My CRT is getting a range of consoles 6th gen on down (Xbox/PS2/GCN) in component, with help from HD Retrovision cables and a Pelican Selector. I also have some AV/S-Video stuff coming in as well. So I'd have two potential usages...

First is the natural possibility of capturing 480p/720p from 6th gen systems, and downscaling to 240p for the CRT. Obvious question, is it even worth it, at 480i or 240p? I mean, those systems do have much nicer textures and modeling at higher resolution. The second usage would be to downscale VGA signals from my Dreamcast, a few other devices like a laptop, and VGA-output of McWill modded handheld consoles.

So my thought is take the component RCA feed off the Pelican, input to a Corio2 (few options with VSC) VGA, then output from VGA back to RCA component to the CRT. An ideal one would be the 2200/2350 (provided i find any) since there's multiple inputs, I could input the 31 Khz VGA stuff as well, and output everything in component. However, if you all think that running 480p 6th gen stuff to 240p isn't worth it, the I'd be interested just to convert the VGA stuff down to component or even S-video (should the 100/150 accomplish that or of course the VSC-500). I know, this all probably sounds very confusing.

PS: Would the 1T-VS-558 be programmable for 240p or 480i?
https://www.hdtvsupply.com/tvone-1t-vs-5581.html
Last edited by Greg2600 on Tue May 05, 2020 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

So I've managed to source a 400 model. Question:

Could I connect my OG Xbox, GC and PS2 into an Extron component switch and then the component switch into the back of the Corio via a BNC to VGA adapter? If yes what type of cable should I be looking for?

Thanks
John
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

zoopster wrote:So I've managed to source a 400 model. Question:

Could I connect my OG Xbox, GC and PS2 into an Extron component switch and then the component switch into the back of the Corio via a BNC to VGA adapter? If yes what type of cable should I be looking for?
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Any BNC to DE-15 cable should work fine, as would individual BNC cables and a female BNC to DE-15 adapter.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

nmalinoski wrote:
zoopster wrote:So I've managed to source a 400 model. Question:

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Any BNC to DE-15 cable should work fine, as would individual BNC cables and a female BNC to DE-15 adapter.
Great - was hoping this was the case. Now I just need to find a cable to get component out of the Xbox. Currently using SCART and the component cables are now really hard to get hold off! Looking forward to seeing how 240p compares with 480i on the BVM :)
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

I got the tvone C2-750 in the end as it has two DVI inputs. I've managed to load the XML onto the scaler via Corio Tools Suite and also updated the scaler firmware. And managed to get both my dreamcast (VGA to DVI) and PC (displayport to DVI) to display via the second input on the scaler. I'm sending the video signal to a BVM 20F1E via a DVI to BNC cable into the BKM 21D card (component input).

The signal shows as very narrow when in one of the 240p modes (e.g. MASTER and DC) and only goes full screen when NTSC or PAL is selected in Output Res menu.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks
John
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

I got my C2-400 mostly setup last night (thanks @Dochartaigh and others for all your work with this).

Quick notes; not sure if it'd help anyone in the UK, but this programming cable is almost half the price of the initially linked one and worked great with the C2-400: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1. It's a weird blue as well, meaning it stands out in amongst all my other cables so I'll never lose it :lol:

I found changing the default output (RGBHV > whatever) easiest while the device is still hooked up to a PC and running the TVOne C2 Control Software, as you can change/set/store it on-the-fly in there (rather than hooking up a 480p RGBHV signal to a 15Khz CRT and trying to make out the menus).

I didn't play with much other than the "240p Master" setting in the XML config, but I am intrigued now by settings for handhelds with letterboxed output (Sega Game Gear VGA, Sony PSP, GBA Consolizer, etc) in conjunction with the device's "zoom" feature. Anyone played around with that (in order to get a fuller picture on a CRT)?

In general, the unit seems to do a good job, and I didn't notice much lag. Seemed snappy.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

coderkind wrote:I got my C2-400 mostly setup last night (thanks @Dochartaigh and others for all your work with this).

Quick notes; not sure if it'd help anyone in the UK, but this programming cable is almost half the price of the initially linked one and worked great with the C2-400: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1. It's a weird blue as well, meaning it stands out in amongst all my other cables so I'll never lose it :lol:

I found changing the default output (RGBHV > whatever) easiest while the device is still hooked up to a PC and running the TVOne C2 Control Software, as you can change/set/store it on-the-fly in there (rather than hooking up a 480p RGBHV signal to a 15Khz CRT and trying to make out the menus).

I didn't play with much other than the "240p Master" setting in the XML config, but I am intrigued now by settings for handhelds with letterboxed output (Sega Game Gear VGA, Sony PSP, GBA Consolizer, etc) in conjunction with the device's "zoom" feature. Anyone played around with that (in order to get a fuller picture on a CRT)?

In general, the unit seems to do a good job, and I didn't notice much lag. Seemed snappy.
Good to hear! It is much easier to configure the C2 units via the software. It's a bit clunky but much easier than using the menus especially with the "Basic Control" section.

Can I ask what monitor you're connected too and how you're sending the signal to the monitor and if you had an initial problems with the 240p video modes?
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

zoopster wrote:I got the tvone C2-750 in the end as it has two DVI inputs. I've managed to load the XML onto the scaler via Corio Tools Suite and also updated the scaler firmware. And managed to get both my dreamcast (VGA to DVI) and PC (displayport to DVI) to display via the second input on the scaler. I'm sending the video signal to a BVM 20F1E via a DVI to BNC cable into the BKM 21D card (component input).

The signal shows as very narrow when in one of the 240p modes (e.g. MASTER and DC) and only goes full screen when NTSC or PAL is selected in Output Res menu.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks
John
Got it working by following the instructions from orange808, with the aspect correct set to fill and using component (YUV) into the BVM. PC output looks great.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

zoopster wrote: Can I ask what monitor you're connected too and how you're sending the signal to the monitor and if you had an initial problems with the 240p video modes?
Sure! You can ask... but I haven't got it properly configured yet! Stayed up late last night to just try and install the latest firmware, install the 240p XML config and then a basic check to see if it'd work. Because my CRT only has SCART-in, and I've no VGA-to-SCART cable/solution sorted yet, I fed the output of the C2-400 into my OSSC via a VGA-to-Component cable, and then to a flatscreen. It was just an initial check for 240p output, and I used the HDMI feed from a PlayStation Classic as the initial check.

It meant setting the TVOne sync output to RGsB rather than RGBS, as the OSSC won't pick up on RGBS over component seemingly. It did play nice with the 240p over RGsB though.

I'm hoping to sort out what I'm doing regarding VGA-to-SCART cables very soon (in order to get things into my actual CRT). Ideally something like https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ana ... packapunch with the type of 3.5mm jack their MegaDrive 1 cable has would be perfect, but that sounds like a custom job for someone (or having to use multiple adapters).
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Dochartaigh wrote:then you would just need a BNC to VGA. Some others probably build a straight 1-cable SCART to VGA (or VGA to SCART) if you look around. Many different options really.
Thanks. Wondering how the quality varies between BNC to VGA adapters (for getting video into the device). The Extron ones aren't readily available in the UK, so it'd be another brand.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Ordered this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Assume I'll only need to hook up one of the sync connections when feeding component or SCART into it?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

coderkind wrote:Assume I'll only need to hook up one of the sync connections when feeding component or SCART into it?
Yes. Usually the Horizontal sync line.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

Looking for some advice on preset saving and loading on a C2-750. I was hoping saving a preset would keep the source menu settings but this doesn't appear to be the case unless I'm doing something wrong. Has anyone else been able to store the Autoset Status; Aspect Correct; TL Pos; BL Size settings for different systems? This is using the OSD rather than Corio Tools.

Thanks
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

So, is the primary reason people are buying these nowadays - strictly - forced 240p? Now that we've got the GBS8200 CFW forced 240p hammered-in, I woulda expected the cost of these and Emotias to plummet. Do people fux with these things for UP scaling?!
orange808

Post by orange808 »

kitty666cats wrote:So, is the primary reason people are buying these nowadays - strictly - forced 240p? Now that we've got the GBS8200 CFW forced 240p hammered-in, I woulda expected the cost of these and Emotias to plummet. Do people fux with these things for UP scaling?!
Yep. Prices got crazy for these. Although the C2 machines can get you a nice "line division" with almost any input signal. For instance, I can feed linex4 960p through it and get 240p. There's also the edge case of downscaling medium resolution 24hz arcade titles for a cabinet. I don't know if the GBS does those things.

Soon enough, the OSSC Pro is going to come along and make many video scalers obsolete. Until then, there are plenty of different machines for different use cases.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

kitty666cats wrote:So, is the primary reason people are buying these nowadays - strictly - forced 240p? Now that we've got the GBS8200 CFW forced 240p hammered-in, I woulda expected the cost of these and Emotias to plummet.
If people think Corio2's can be a pain to setup... their head is going to explode with even finding the right/exact model GBS8200 to buy, let alone having to possibly physically mod it (solder) before they can use it, then flash it, etc. etc. etc. (this could have totally changed since the last time I looked at them though - that was maybe ~1 to 1.5 years ago).

My last experience researching the GBS wasn't fun... after maybe 4 HOURS of simply trying to find which friggin one to buy, and what exact model, and what clues I would have to look at and literally study on the board –usually through small and sometimes blurry photos on the retailers website– just to make sure it really was the one I needed to buy (and not one which wouldn't fully work)... then the retailer had recently switched from the version people liked to one people couldn't use, so I couldn't even buy one then, and I kinda gave up TBH.

I'm sure many other people would agree with me, but I also don't need another project. Another bare-circuit board I need to try to put into my server rack setup somehow. Don't need something else I have to string together, buy a case for it, maybe have to wire in one or two or more daughter boards or whatever those setups I see on Google for these GBS's are comprised of in order to do everything I want (the biggest 'mod' I've ever needed to do on my Corio2 is screw on a Tendak HDMI to VGA dongle).

The Corio2's come in a nice metal case, all put together, huge variety of connectors on many of them, LCD screens on the units themselves, on-screen displays for others, all have tactile buttons w/ joystick controller, many can use remote controls – all very professional and clean. There's a list of which exact TVOne models work so no guess work is needed (availability does fluctuate with eBay of course). And if you buy one of the more popular Corio2's, all you need is a $9 USB/Serial cable, and ~3 minutes with the supplied .XML file to get it running, nothing else. Nothing to build, a complete package.
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Mon May 18, 2020 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Dochartaigh wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:So, is the primary reason people are buying these nowadays - strictly - forced 240p? Now that we've got the GBS8200 CFW forced 240p hammered-in, I woulda expected the cost of these and Emotias to plummet.
If people think Corio2's can be a pain to setup... their head is going to explode with even finding the right/exact model GBS8200 to buy, let alone having to possibly physically mod it (solder) before they can use it, then flash it, etc. etc. etc. (this could have totally changed since the last time I looked at them though - that was maybe ~1 to 1.5 years ago).

My last experience researching the GBS wasn't fun... after maybe 4 HOURS of simply trying to find which friggin one to buy, and what exact model, and what clues I would have to look at and literally study on the board –usually through small and sometimes blurry photos on the retailers website– just to make sure it really was the one I needed to buy (and not one which wouldn't fully work)... then the retailer had recently switched from the version people liked to one people couldn't use, so I couldn't even buy one then, and I kinda gave up TBH.

I'm sure many other people would agree with me, but I also don't need another project. Another bare-circuit board I need to try to put into my server rack setup somehow. Don't need something else I have to string together, buy a case for it, maybe have to wire in one or two or more daughter boards or whatever those setups I see on Google for these GBS's are comprised of in order to do everything I want (the biggest 'mod' I've ever needed to do on my Corio2 is screw on a Tendak HDMI to VGA dongle).

The Corio2's come in a nice metal case, all put together, huge variety of connectors on many of them, LCD screens or tactile buttons w/ joystick and/or remote control – all very professional and clean. There's a list of which exact TVOne models work so no guess work is needed (availability does fluctuate with eBay of course). And if you buy one of the more popular Corio2's, all you need is a $9 USB/Serial cable, and ~3 minutes with the supplied .XML file to get it running, nothing else. Nothing to build, a complete package.
...and most of that convenience is thanks to you, my man! Your YouTube videos etc etc are crucial :)
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

So I RTFM'ed and the source settings are not saved as part of the presets which is a shame as it means the source settings can only be set for each input (with the 750 there are two DVI input ports). However, there are two "Windows" A + B available in the scaler so I will see if each "Window" can support saving different settings for each input i.e. four "source" settings. I'm looking to have Xbox; GameCube; MiSTER (Corio is good for the new X68000 core); PC and Switch each coming into the Corio via a four port component switch into one DVI port and then a direct connection for the other DVI port.
kerryking

Post by kerryking »

Does anyobe have a preset file for 480i? Im using the cs-2205a. Im wanting to take new consoles like ps4, xbox, switch, and wii u and convert them to 480i. I know wii u has component cables but I was told it doesnt do 480i.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

kerryking wrote:Does anyobe have a preset file for 480i? Im using the cs-2205a. Im wanting to take new consoles like ps4, xbox, switch, and wii u and convert them to 480i. I know wii u has component cables but I was told it doesnt do 480i.
That should be a built in setting. It's not there? If you can't find it, just google NTSC timings. That's an easy fix.

Also, if you're really serious about getting 480i, you might consider looking up an Extron VSC unit. Get a 500 or 700. Offer $20-$35 usd on a good one with free shipping. If the seller won't do it, just wait. Nobody wants them and nobody uses them. Sooner or later, the seller will realize its real value and take what they can get.

The Extron VSC machines are so easy to use and the quality is much better. They only do 480i. Given the low price, you might consider getting one.
We apologise for the inconvenience
kerryking

Post by kerryking »

Unfortunately I just bought this one. I dont actually have it yet but Im getting ready. I read on the post that 240p and 480i dont come by default so I thought I needed a preset file for it. If you used a vsc 500 or 700, Would it require some other converter to connect hdmi to it?
emenelopee

Post by emenelopee »

Does anyone have insight into how the 750, or any other Corio2s with digital, deals with the available output options?

From the manual:
6.1 DVI-I inputs

Each input can accept:

>Digital DVI-D (maximum 1920x1200@60Hz / 1080p60)<
(1T-C2-760 also supports 2880x900@60Hz)
Analog RGBHV
Analog RGsB (sync on green)
Analog RGBS (composite sync at TTL levels)
Analog YUV/YPbPr (including tri-level)

In most cases, the particular input being used will be auto-detected – with DVI-D
taking priority over any analog source. See ‘Adjust sources’ for more information
on manually selecting an input type.

6.2 PC/HD Scaler DVI-I output

The output can support DVI-D and an analog output type (as defined in ‘Adjust
outputs’) simultaneously:

Digital DVI-D (maximum 1920x1200@60Hz / 1080p60)
(1T-C2-760 also supports 2880x900@60Hz)
Analog RGBHV
Analog RGsB (sync on green)
>Analog RGBS (composite sync at TTL levels)<
Analog YUV/YPbPr (including tri-level)

The ‘Adjust outputs’ menu can be used to change the output resolution and the
sync/video format.

HD resolutions (such as 720p and 1080i) default to tlYUV (tri-level YUV) and
therefore may appear purple on a standard DVI monitor. This can be turned back
to RGBHV in the ‘Adjust outputs’ menu.
Obv the output is on DVI which has pin outs for vsync and hsync, and my guess is the unit combines the two syncs internally if it outputs RGBs, but does anyone know which pin the RGBs sync would go out on? The 400 has csync on pin 13 (hsync) for RGBs, I can't find anything for the 750

Ultimately I'm trying to output the DVI socket of the 750 into a SCART RGBs for this guy, likely through a custom cable as these don't seem to exist anywhere, but the sync is a mystery to me v :? v

tl;dr
How does the Corio2 output deal with composite sync when there is no csync pin on DVI?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

emenelopee wrote:How does the Corio2 output deal with composite sync when there is no csync pin on DVI?
Probably the same way everything else deals with CSync when there are separate HSync and VSync pins: Use HSync.
kerryking

Post by kerryking »

Well it turns out the cs-2205a I bought on ebay doesnt work so I have to return it unless its something easy to fix
emenelopee

Post by emenelopee »

Unseen wrote:
emenelopee wrote:How does the Corio2 output deal with composite sync when there is no csync pin on DVI?
Probably the same way everything else deals with CSync when there are separate HSync and VSync pins: Use HSync.
Yeah, that's what I was figuring - I don't yet have the JVC SCART input yet, it's been stuck in NZ for over a month now, so I can't play around with getting the right cabling. Just getting prepared in the meantime with what info I can glean but I guess I'll have to wait until it's here before confirming 100%.
kerryking wrote:Well it turns out the cs-2205a I bought on ebay doesnt work so I have to return it unless its something easy to fix
Sad song. My ebay 750 came in a crushed box rattling around with deflated air bags. Bad packing from the seller, could have been a sad song on my end too. Seems to work OK with menus and output into computer monitors so hopefully nothing busted in the guts, we'll have to wait and see...