Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FinalBaton

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by FinalBaton »

Does the OG HDFury perform fine? any known flaws?

cuz there are a bunch for 17 euros on ebay right now
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

cave hermit wrote:In regards to those cheap VGA scanline generators that can be had on Amazon for about $25, how well do these work? Any input lag? I'm interested in pairing one with VGA output from a dreamcast to an old vga monitor for a 15 kHz look
I have a mini-SLG and am perfectly content with it, despite not having any extra dipswitches/potentiometers for adjustments. Just note that it's only compatible with 640x480 and 1024x768.

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/ele ... craftymech

There's that one below it that is only a few more $, that is probably good too!

But, if you're willing to wait a while, there's always those SLGs on eBay that ship from China which have more settings than the mini-SLG... you just have to take into account that they may take a LOOOONG time to ship :/

I've found that using the mini-SLG on my 34" (CRT) VGA presentation monitor provides scanlines reminiscent of games via RGB to component trancoders on a consumer CRT, whereas using it on a regular sized PC CRT provides scanlines reminiscent of PVMs/BVMs/etc.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

H6rdc0re wrote:Why is no one doing a PS2 ODE?
Not sure why people focused on 480i in answering this. it's got nothing to do with that. I forget the exact details, but the PS2 uses non standard
connectors for it's optical drive and the ODE would have to do a lot more emulation because of it. Something along those lines.

Additionally, there are two *extremely* effective workarounds that have been in use for years. 1) just load stuff on the internal hard drive with the network adapter 2) use pop-starter to load from a network drive

Because those low-hanging-fruit methods exist, the heavy-lift ode path wasn't explored.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

FinalBaton wrote:Does the OG HDFury perform fine? any known flaws?

cuz there are a bunch for 17 euros on ebay right now
bump
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Got a link to those cheap HDFurys?

I wonder if they're just old stock or, most likely, clones.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

fernan1234 wrote:Got a link to those cheap HDFurys?

I wonder if they're just old stock or, most likely, clones.
ALso been thinking they are probably fakes. But there might be a very slight chance he bought overstock from that company (which is closing I think?). who knows?

The seller is in Belgium, and claims he got a bulk of used unit from them. (now why would they have all these used units around? That's weird. Are they returned (AKA defective) units?)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Convertisseur-D ... 3081689053
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Thanks for the link.

Oh I remember seeing this listing, or one that looked identical, a while ago, probably over a year ago. I wonder if it always said he had 47 bulk units, or if that number has been adjusted as needed.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://hdfury.com/product/insane-deals/

Password is "welcome"

Some decent priced stuff on here!
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

What does, say, the HDFury X4 do, and why would I want that?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The HDFx4 was the first HDF device to output a decrypted HDMI stream.

With an alternative firmare it can also act as a scaler and contrary to the newer devices that just do 1080p <> 4K, the x4 also does 480p and 720p to 1080p.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Do any of you own/used to own/tried out the Startech VGA2CPNT transcoder? I scored one for pretty cheap, just to putz around with. Here's a picture of the output (input is just a DE-15 VGA/RGBHV):

Anyone messed around with using a component w/ separate sync signal before, whether with one of these or otherwise? I can safely say I never have, kinda curious to see what the hell the results will be. I've poked around for specs/manuals etc, but found nothing alluding to the possibility that this transcoder has a dual purpose for getting a RGBS signal from a RGBHV source. But, you'd think that if that was the case, that they would also put the letters R G & B on the corresponding output ports...?

If there's anyone here who is well-versed in the rare 'separate sync component' signals (and what the hell even USES it), I'd love to hear more. I've got some BNC T-adapters (hell, come to think of it I have a RCA Y-splitter, but I usually use that for combining L+R audio into my JVC TM-H150CG) and plan to fool around with combining/pulling sync from the luma output.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Here's an image of the guts!
strayan

Post by strayan »

Are there any scan-line generators out there that completely black out (rather than just dim) every second line at 480p?
FriendofSonic

Post by FriendofSonic »

I am seeing what appears to be a busted GPU for my phat PS2- has anyone ever messed with those? Does a reflow make any sense to attempt or is it pretty much toast? Reading the PS2 reddit, it seems like GPUs going out seem relatively common and people seem to suggest to just pop in another mainboard.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

kitty666cats wrote:Do any of you own/used to own/tried out the Startech VGA2CPNT transcoder? I scored one for pretty cheap, just to putz around with. Here's a picture of the output (input is just a DE-15 VGA/RGBHV):

Anyone messed around with using a component w/ separate sync signal before, whether with one of these or otherwise? I can safely say I never have, kinda curious to see what the hell the results will be. I've poked around for specs/manuals etc, but found nothing alluding to the possibility that this transcoder has a dual purpose for getting a RGBS signal from a RGBHV source. But, you'd think that if that was the case, that they would also put the letters R G & B on the corresponding output ports...?

If there's anyone here who is well-versed in the rare 'separate sync component' signals (and what the hell even USES it), I'd love to hear more. I've got some BNC T-adapters (hell, come to think of it I have a RCA Y-splitter, but I usually use that for combining L+R audio into my JVC TM-H150CG) and plan to fool around with combining/pulling sync from the luma output.
Anyone have any ideas on applications for the separate sync YPbPr? Not that I necessarily want to/need to use it, moreso just curious what type of devices people would use it with! I don't even know if I own anything that could implement it, the guy who made my JVC TM-H150CG's RGBHV card said it would not have any effects if I were to try it out on the monitor whilst set to YPbPr mode.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Not a question but I just ordered an Extron MVX and I'm pretty stoked about it! and didn't know where to post this, lol. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

I also got a Bandrige 3 way scart switch(SVB7733) from Ebay for my second setup. it was so cheap at 11 euros, I couldn't pass that up. that setup has all scart cables already and while I'm upgrading my main setup's cabling for DE-15, I don't plan on doing the same for my secondary setup, it's fine. Looks like I'll need to use a different power adapter than the euro one that comes with the Bandridge. I have a couple 9v power supplies here, I should have one that have the right amperage and polarity. seen some posted the specs needed in one of those reviews.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Chomolonzo

Post by Chomolonzo »

For those Extron Crosspoint units with, say, eight input sockets on the back and an additional four with plastic caps embedded where the socket would usually be, are they actually expandable to the full twelve inputs? Can you pop off the caps and screw in another few BNC connectors?
peterwright1234

Post by peterwright1234 »

I have my pc plugged into an hdfury which is then plugged into an extron rgb 203. If I get an bnc to scart cable can i hook the extron up to my gscartw?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have my pc plugged into an hdfury which is then plugged into an extron rgb 203. If I get an bnc to scart cable can i hook the extron up to my gscartw?
you get TTL level sync (high voltage) from the RGB interface, so you have to be careful doing this. Ideally you add a resistor to the cable to attenuate the signal on its way.
peterwright1234

Fudoh wrote:
you get TTL level sync (high voltage) from the RGB interface, so you have to be careful doing this. Ideally you add a resistor to the cable to attenuate the signal on its way.
hey fudoh thank you for the help here. Who can make a cable like that? would it be wiser to just add a module to my bvm so I have more rgb bnc inputs and i can then just plug both the extron and the gscart into the bvm directly?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Who can make a cable like that?
it's just an added resistor. Anybody who can hold a soldering iron can do that.
would it be wiser to just add a module to my bvm so I have more rgb bnc inputs and i can then just plug both the extron and the gscart into the bvm directly?
that's just a cost question, isn't it? An extension card for your BVM is likely $100+, while a cable for your switch is around $30.
amaradona

Post by amaradona »

Is there a way to boot in 480p 60hz straight away from a pal gamecube (modded already Xeno stuff) ?
My pc crt is not accepting 576p at 50hz...

Best,
peterwright1234

Fudoh wrote:
would it be wiser to just add a module to my bvm so I have more rgb bnc inputs and i can then just plug both the extron and the gscart into the bvm directly?
that's just a cost question, isn't it? An extension card for your BVM is likely $100+, while a cable for your switch is around $30.
retroaccess.com didnt respond to my inquiry and retro gaming cables didn't respond. Who else sells bnc to scart cables?
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Fudoh wrote:
Is there any issue with running an xrgb or similar to a Extron RGB203 and finally to a VGA monitor? I am using a standard bnc to vga connector from the Extron out to the VGA monitor.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Are bootleg games "safe" to play on original hardware? I was going through my library and was disappointed to discover that my copy of Castlevania Collection GBA is a glob-top. Will the game actually damage my GBA? Also, what is the consensus on repro cartridges? I have repros of Mother 3 and Fire Emblem Thracia 776 and I'm curious if any harm could arise in playing them.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

peterwright1234 wrote:
retroaccess.com didnt respond to my inquiry and retro gaming cables didn't respond. Who else sells bnc to scart cables?
WookieeWin on eBay. He may be able to add he resistor too - message him.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

GojiFan90 wrote:Are bootleg games "safe" to play on original hardware? I was going through my library and was disappointed to discover that my copy of Castlevania Collection GBA is a glob-top. Will the game actually damage my GBA? Also, what is the consensus on repro cartridges? I have repros of Mother 3 and Fire Emblem Thracia 776 and I'm curious if any harm could arise in playing them.
The chance of harm is very low. Unless they have badly soldered contacts or something (which could just as likely happen to an authentic one) I can't imagine they could do much of anything other than be a game.
BrandonMllr

Post by BrandonMllr »

Is it possible to improve the quality of the output image?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Does anyone know which one of these Portta devices would be better for VGA output? As in, is one of them older and crappier, or one of them a "fake" product or something?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portta-HDMI-Co ... Swq-JehMiP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portta-N3CVVHT ... SwX85coi5F
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

vol.2 wrote:Does anyone know which one of these Portta devices would be better for VGA output? As in, is one of them older and crappier, or one of them a "fake" product or something?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portta-HDMI-Co ... Swq-JehMiP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portta-N3CVVHT ... SwX85coi5F
The second one is a VGA to HDMI converter, so that's entirely unsuitable for what you want.

This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O55U8K/