Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
CIT

Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

Post by CIT »

Love the 32X and am super psyched about Stellar Assault. Parasquad (aka Zaxxon Motherbase 2000) I just got for cheap, I'm not actually such a huge fan of the game, but it's nice to have a legit shoot 'em up for 32X. :wink:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Hell yeah! jap 32x boxes with the yellow spine. these look so damn rad
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Stellar Assault, awesome pickup! 32X might have too much junk in its roster to compete with the SuperGrafx's John Cazale-esque quality/quantity ratio, but I think of 'em as spiritually akin regardless. The good stuff really is worth having 'em around for. :cool:

Speaking of 32X shooting, have you played Kolibri? I gave it a brief spin years ago, couldn't get around the Real Hummingbird Physics. Flappy bastard! I dig Ecco's sensibly floaty handling but that's survival horror, a bit of jank is expected.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote:Stellar Assault
Game blew my mind when it came out. Loved buzzing the flag ships. Never could 1 CC it, but made it to the last stage a few times.
My lord, I have come for you.
CIT

Post by CIT »

FinalBaton wrote:Hell yeah! jap 32x boxes with the yellow spine. these look so damn rad
95/96 was the height of coherent box design, with Sega Japan's blue, red, yellow, and gold spines for all its systems. :D
BIL wrote:Stellar Assault, awesome pickup! 32X might have too much junk in its roster to compete with the SuperGrafx's John Cazale-esque quality/quantity ratio, but I think of 'em as spiritually akin regardless. The good stuff really is worth having 'em around for. :cool:
If you crunch the numbers, 32X's Japan lineup barely edges out by 64.9% quality versus 60% quality on SuperGrafx. ;)

Still nothing compared to the PC Engine Arcade Card's whopping 83% quality! (Yes, those SNK ports are actually pretty good.)
Speaking of 32X shooting, have you played Kolibri? I gave it a brief spin years ago, couldn't get around the Real Hummingbird Physics. Flappy bastard! I dig Ecco's sensibly floaty handling but that's survival horror, a bit of jank is expected.
I've played Kolibri, but didn't much care for it either. Iirc it had terrible wobble when switching from left to right. Graphics were pretty but stages quite bland. More of a tech demo than a real game, imo.

I definitely still want to pick up Afterburner and possibly Star Wars Arcade (it's serviceable and cheap). And I would love a Japanese Virtua Fighter, as it's actually a more playable and has more content than the Saturn version, but it's too damn expensive. :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oof, goddamn - totally forgot about the twitchy camera in Kolibri. That and the skittery handling made me give up pretty quickly. Shame, I like its odd look. Not exactly an aesthetic I'd go crazy for, it's just very odd and unassuming, from what I recall. Reminds me a bit of Psygnosis's Agony (Amiga).

Also, it's always a good laugh bringing it up as a rival to the legendary CHACKER. :lol: (goddamnit, can't find any footage offhand.)

Do you have Space Harrier? Although 32X Afterburner II has that same unmistakable Rutubo Games TLC, I found its combination of dodging and aiming difficult on digital controls (much like the earlier MD attempt... actually, I wonder if that crazy Dempa MD analogue controller might work with them? it's been a while since I checked but IIRC, Dempa actually coded MD ABII EDIT: Aha! scrolling down a bit, seems it does! Goddamn, forums rock)

Space Harrier's simpler dodge n' shoot OTOH always felt just fine to me on digital, so I happily double-dipped on that one. I wish OutRun had showed up on both systems, too. Super Scaler games running full-blast (or damn near it) on pre-32bit hardware has immortal cachet. :cool:
CIT

Post by CIT »

Hahaha, yeah, that Dempa analogue pad is like a pocket Tekki controller. What did they think people would need to use all those buttons for!? Would definitely like to give Street Fighter II a go with it though. :lol: :lol:

I do have Space Harrier and actually it's my favorite version to play. It just feels great to have a nearly arcade perfect experience on cart.*

My other games are Kuckles Chaotix (beautiful, high-concept, and amazing OST, but bland stages), Tempo (interesting but a bit difficult to get into), Cyber Brawl (complete garbage, but beautiful OST), Virtua Racing (great port and I love to play it for the additional vehicles and tracks).

*Same reason I still love the KoF 95 port for Saturn. Real shame we only ever got two ROM carts for the system.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Interestingly, Melodiya (or what was left of it) seems to have licensed some of their quite sought after stuff to most peripheral recording labels out there in their late nineteen-nineties. See both Zodiac albums (Czech Republic, 2000) and Bernstein in Russia (Sweden, 1997).
The Most Famous Marches one glaringly skips the Imperial March, though.
Spoiler
I for one harbour one CD by theirs printed still in Soviet Russia (Bramhs and Mozart string quartets played live in Moscow Conservatory Hall beck when), as well as a CD of a Mass by Dvořák made in still-Chechoslovakiya.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

CIT wrote:Cyber Brawl (complete garbage, but beautiful OST)
You actually turned me onto this one a while back - if I remember right it, it's entirely YM2612-powered? Absolutely incredible work. I've left this track playing on repeat for hours while writing, got that kinda end-to-end quality. :mrgreen:

Virtua Racing DX would justify the 32X all on its own, I think. Alchemic translation of analogue gas & brakes to digital pad. The one thing I used to find a little bittersweet is thinking of what AM2 could've done on Saturn, had that one not gone to TWI - but given the beautiful Switch version, it's easy to forget now.

That's one where the JP cart has a real advantage over the NTSCU one, too - no onboard memory in the latter, and the Desert track's final section is significantly less challenging. I've still got my old US copy, generic photo cover and all. plus 32X DOOM, my original "32X Justifier" BITD, less so now :lol: I'm sometimes weirdly tempted to add the JP ver to my little 32X cache of VRDX, Stellar Assault and Space Harrier, but those crash bugs leave me cold... the PS1 port also has a few, but they're strictly triggered by deliberately alerting masses of enemies on certain maps without killing any. 32X just locks up at random, AFAIK (with a DOS prompt-styled error message!).

Been curious about Tempo (by RED, if I recall - one of those devs that commands my attention whatever the setting), but I'm always a bit lethargic with cuter sidescrolling. Sometimes to ridiculous extents, as with ignoring Gimmick! for years...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

CIT wrote:*Same reason I still love the KoF 95 port for Saturn. Real shame we only ever got two ROM carts for the system.
Not sure if that's a good or bad thing since the cart slot is so poorly made, but I ordered KoF '95 Saturn with ROM cart recently and can't wait to play it (though I will have to).
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:You actually turned me onto this one a while back - if I remember right it, it's entirely YM2612-powered? Absolutely incredible work. I've left this track playing on repeat for hours while writing, got that kinda end-to-end quality. :mrgreen:
Yep, afaik it doesn't use any of the additional sound capabilities. Someone should do a romhack and add that OST to Bare Knuckle III! :)
Virtua Racing DX would justify the 32X all on its own, I think. Alchemic translation of analogue gas & brakes to digital pad. The one thing I used to find a little bittersweet is thinking of what AM2 could've done on Saturn, had that one not gone to TWI - but given the beautiful Switch version, it's easy to forget now.

That's one where the JP cart has a real advantage over the NTSCU one, too - no onboard memory in the latter, and the Desert track's final section is significantly less challenging. I've still got my old US copy, generic photo cover and all. plus 32X DOOM, my original "32X Justifier" BITD, less so now :lol: I'm sometimes weirdly tempted to add the JP ver to my little 32X cache of VRDX, Stellar Assault and Space Harrier, but those crash bugs leave me cold... the PS1 port also has a few, but they're strictly triggered by deliberately alerting masses of enemies on certain maps without killing any. 32X just locks up at random, AFAIK (with a DOS prompt-styled error message!).
Interesting, I didn't know about the regional differences in VRDX. I hate the Doom port for 32X. I think the disproportionately poor quality of most of the console ports did more to promote PC gaming back then, than any real strengths of PC games. :lol:
Been curious about Tempo (by RED, if I recall - one of those devs that commands my attention whatever the setting), but I'm always a bit lethargic with cuter sidescrolling. Sometimes to ridiculous extents, as with ignoring Gimmick! for years...
It's visually quite impressive, but a bit too bare-bones and lacking in terms of playability. There's nothing gravely wrong with any of the game's aspects, but they don't really come together to form something coherent and engaging, if you know what I mean. For example, the animation is great, but a lot of 2D games with lots of animation frames actually feel a little less precise, particularly if certain frames aren't cancelable. Thankfully, the controls are still good enough, but I find the visual stylings in Tempo to be disorienting sometimes. There's always some crazy effects going on in the background, but they're fixed in the screen, so you often lack a sense of spatiality, particularly when making jumps on higher up platforms. Add to that the 3/4-view on the platforms but without any drop-shadows, and it unnecessarily complicates what is really just a simple hop'n bop game under the surface. Also: the boss battles suck.
Word has it that RED rectified all these issues in the Saturn sequel, but I've never actually played it.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

CIT wrote:Hahaha, yeah, that Dempa analogue pad is like a pocket Tekki controller. What did they think people would need to use all those buttons for!? Would definitely like to give Street Fighter II a go with it though. :lol: :lol:
For a serious answer, it has all those buttons because it was meant to be a 1:1 hand-held replacement for the original Cyberstick.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I don't remember having any crash issues with Doom on 32X, and it plays well enough. The music can be muted. Visually, it's reasonable enough -- could be a little better in some aspects, but it's still pretty smooth and playable. A black border around the screen instead of a textured one would have done wonders for hiding the fact that it's not quite fullscreen.
Not having ANY episode 3 levels at all is really garbage though, and the music is so bad that it would have been a lot better remembered if the game simply didn't ship with music.

Also, man, VRDX desperately needed to be on the Saturn and not languish on the 32X. It's too good. Absolutely first-rate effort.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

BIL wrote:Virtua Racing DX would justify the 32X all on its own, I think. Alchemic translation of analogue gas & brakes to digital pad.
I've been increasingly impressed by digital controls in Moto Racer Advance (although, from the very beginning, series was obviously going to be played this way by many gamers, so it always had to be good or else). The entire game works so well on the GBA that I keep wishing Saturn had more such exclusives. Some of the best-selling PSX games were 2D, so there surely was a room for a beautiful scaling racer, maybe even running at 60 fps on Saturn.
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Some of the best-selling PSX games were 2D, so there surely was a room for a beautiful scaling racer, maybe even running at 60 fps on Saturn.
A lost art form, the scaling arcade powerhouse. Such beautiful inefficiency, timeless largesse. Image It's a shame the 30fps Saturn Power Drift wasn't handled by Rutubo Games, whose lovely SS OutRun actually added a 60fps mode. No idea if they could've gotten it to arcade spec, but I'd trust them more than Appaloosa or Phant or whoever Sega farmed out Saturn PD (and Galaxy Force II) to. Image

Much like the spectre of Saturn VRDX, it's easily forgotten nowadays with DC Power Drift (via Yu Suzuki Game Works) and PS2 Galaxy Force II.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I need to give some other GBA ports of Sega titles a try (ChuChu Rocket! and Super Monkey Ball Jr. are jolly playable on the thing, so, OutRun and Virtua Tennis shouldn't be awful either).

Christina Pluhar is a punk-rocker.
Spoiler
The way out is cut off

Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Picked up the SPI mobo and cart of Senkyu/Battle Balls.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Expanded storage space for - mostly - CDs.

Quite the introduction to basso ostinato and a most valuable lesson of Baroque music. Am I grateful to Alpha for this handsomely affordable reprint!
Spoiler
The way out is cut off

CIT

Post by CIT »

Kiken wrote:Image

Picked up the SPI mobo and cart of Senkyu/Battle Balls.

Congrats! That game is really a thrill to play!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sweet. Any tips on searching for the PSX version? Searches only turn up one match when they do turn something up. I might post in the trading section later. I'm also looking for Side by Side Special (2000) for that JP neGcon game fix. I just received a JP PS1, as well as Capcom Generation 4 and R-Type Delta. I also bought JP versions of Raystom and Strikers 1945 II from US sellers.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BrianC wrote:Sweet. Any tips on searching for the PSX version? Searches only turn up one match when they do turn something up.
The PS port (Mezase Senkyu Ou) is stupidly difficult to find for no discernible reason. When it does pop up, it normally sells for around $15, making it's rarity all the more strange. I've owned a copy for years now, but it was sourced by a good friend of mine who came across two complete copies for sale while doing some random searches and just scooped them both up (as they cost no more than $25 each at the time).
Last edited by Kiken on Sat May 02, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks for the info. I did see one Senkyu Oh and would have jumped on it if it wasn't for the current JP shipping situation. Funny thing happened when I looked for BaM/Puzzle Bobble 3/3DX. I almost got the JP DX version, but remembered there was a US version that sells for cheap and got that instead. Darn late releases.

Edit: Are those Seimitsu sticks and buttons on the Astro City cab? Sweet!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BrianC wrote:Are those Seimitsu sticks and buttons on the Astro City cab? Sweet!
Seimitsu LS-32s and Sanwa OBSF series buttons. I replaced all of the sticks, buttons, dust covers and ball tops on both my cabs after I cleaned them up.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Nice. I wasn't 100% sure on the buttons.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Sacrum on profanum action.
Spoiler
Spoiler

Masses ahead.

Spoiler

Fuckin' A, PAL DVD, what a blast from the past. (Region 0 DVDs opera is usually released on these days tend to be NTSC. This Manor has been strangely Haunted in more ways than one.)
The way out is cut off

cocoron

Post by cocoron »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Beautiful. :smile: One of those quintessentially photogenic title screens, especially in cab context.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I'll need to explain a bit about this one in another thread.
Spoiler
The way out is cut off

cocoron

Post by cocoron »

BIL wrote:Beautiful. :smile: One of those quintessentially photogenic title screens, especially in cab context.
Yeah there is something special about it :D
CIT

Post by CIT »

I've been buying a fuckload of tits 'n ass mahjong games for Saturn:

I've already discussed some in the mahjong thread. Gonna elaborate on the others, if there's interest. Really been digging Mahjong Yon-Shimai: Wakakusa Monogatari and Mahjong Hyper Reaction R.

Some other Saturn junk:

- Stakes Winner 2 — Neo Geo port. People don't believe me, but this is a great game!
- Sonic 3D & Flickies' Island — Not that great, but I feel it's the best version of the game. Came out really late in Japan, so all the graphic design corresponds to the Sonic Adventure look, which is kind of weird.
- Shutokou Battle '97 — One of the best polygonal Saturn arcade racers (and the system actually doesn't have a lot of good ones)
- Henry Explorers — Kinda trashy, but I love the style.

Also a fuckload of Neo Geo CD games:

- Magician Lord — One of the games I used to own when I still had an AES. Top notch sidescrolling actioner imo. Beautiful visuals and balls to the walls hard.
- Robo Army — Decent enough beltscroller.
- The Super Spy — The Neo Geo's only "FPS" for lack of a better word. Really kind of a slog.
- Power Spikes II — Fun sidescrolling-Volleyball game. Takes place in the same Video System world as all their other titles.
- Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer — Messy but very entertaining. I love that all characters sing their own stage songs.:lol: Had never actually played it until now.
- Quiz King of Fighters — I don't even know...
- King of the Monsters 2 — Trashy but fun.
- World Heroes 2 Jet — Sucks. Only WH I really play is WH Perfect. I do like the stage intros though.
- Idol Mahjong Final Romance 2 — Awesome strip-mahjong game
- Puzzle Bobble — Great game of course. I already own it for MVS and SFC.
- Galaxy Fight — Decent fighting game with some unique aspects; impossible against the CPU

Random games for other consoles:

- Vigilante (PCE) — Basically Kung-Fu Master with ghetto stylings
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon — 3DO-exclusive 2D fighting game.

PS4 shmups:

- Vasara Collection
- Sisters Royale
- ESP Ra.De. Psi
...love them all!

And a new VN, the remake of Yu-No: