Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lethe

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Lethe »

What are some games that simultaneously have milking + patterns that scale with time/repetition or soft timeouts? The only ones I know of are Guwange, the Shikigami no Shiro series and the occasional Touhou pattern. None of them fully embrace the concept although Guwange's stage 2 and 3 bosses are pretty good.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Is there any way to practice the stages or bosses in Cho Ren Sha 68K?

I'm playing the X68000 version in an emulator through retroarch, but it doesn't support save states.

I've got the game down pretty solid through the first 5 stages but it'd be nice to single out some of the areas in stage 6 and 7.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Just edited I found it. Really early in the morning for me :oops:
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Is Aka Blue getting any sort of home port? This touch screen shit is for the birds and Exa is obviously not an option for me.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

XoPachi wrote:Is Aka Blue getting any sort of home port? This touch screen shit is for the birds and Exa is obviously not an option for me.
In the long run probably a home switch port wich is the safer bet for indi programmers. We have seen it already with other cell phone games.
The question is when, but that is another story.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Does the Switch port of Strikers III include the option to play as the X-36?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
40wattstudio

Post by 40wattstudio »

Are there any good shmups that don't have a soundtrack?
Sounds like a silly question, I know, but I'm at a point in my development cycle where I have to choose between sound effects or just a soundtrack -- I don't have a budget for both unfortunately.
Latest demo of my first shmup game:
https://40wattstudio.itch.io/scrapship-demo
BIL

Post by BIL »

I don't know any with zero BGM whatsoever, but R-Type Final uses long stretches of simple ambient sound to good effect. Depends on the mood you're going for, I guess - could see it working in a horror/sci-fi setting like RTF's, especially if the SFX are striking/chilling enough. Much less in a triumphal tale of glory like Winds of Thunder.

I was actually playing Raiden V with the BGM off the other day, having always loved Moss's formidable explosion SFX. Wasting a sniper tank platoon sounds quite literally thunderous. Definitely looked a bit weird when the camera would zoom in as the ship dramatically blasted off to the next stage sector though!
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Just FYI, there are whole freeware libraries of sound effects for all purposes out there. Freeware music is a thing too but much more limited so it makes more sense to spend funds on that.
40wattstudio

Post by 40wattstudio »

Good points, thanks for the feedback!
Latest demo of my first shmup game:
https://40wattstudio.itch.io/scrapship-demo
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Please tell me there is SOME way to play Aka/Blue mobile with a gamepad.
Last edited by XoPachi on Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

What are some good PC shmups outside of Steam? So far I know only about Battle Traverse and Rolling Gunner.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Arthandas wrote:What are some good PC shmups outside of Steam? So far I know only about Battle Traverse and Rolling Gunner.
Check out Jishou no Chihei Mendako, aka Flying Pancake Octopus in Blackhole.

It's in the Space Invaders style, but it's one of the few games of that style that feels fresh, fast-paced, and exciting. Pretty accommodating difficulty as well. Even better, it's freeware! Check out the thread.

The same dev made Cambria Sword, which I haven't played but has its fans here. Its caveat is that it's more of a epic, epic-length shmup (I think a full run is 3 hours?). I suspect its meant to be played in chunks, not a single sitting. Flying Pancake is more arcade length.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Arthandas wrote:What are some good PC shmups outside of Steam? So far I know only about Battle Traverse and Rolling Gunner.
Blue Wish Resurrection and Eden's Aegis are a good place to start. Both are free doujin danmaku, and are both of high quality. If you like classic shmups, Super Hydorah is on itch.io, as well, and has a lot of Gradius and Darius influence. And for classic PC shmups, both Tyrian 2000 and Stargunner are free on GOG.
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

In addition to what everyone else said, my personal favorite free shmup is Cho Ren Sha 68k. It is frenetic and filled with macrododging.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

So been playing a lot battle garrega ps4,I’m playing it in Tate.does any one know if you can display the rank graph at the top or bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Ddshot wrote:So been playing a lot battle garrega ps4,I’m playing it in Tate.does any one know if you can display the rank graph at the top or bottom?
Yep, there are widgets for tate mode too, you just need to re-enable them after setting the display to tate mode. I don't remember if there's an actual rank graph, but you can see the rank percentage at the very least.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Check out this guy's quality freeware shmups: http://zakichi.ojaru.jp/
SAM

Post by SAM »

In Gradius II, is the Option Hunter would appear some times after you have got the 4th Options?

In other words, if I don't get the 4th options (stay with three), the Option Hunters would never appears?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ Correct - basically, when you get the fourth Option, a timer starts ticking down to the Option Hunter's appearance. That's how it works in Gradius V anyway... pretty sure II is the the same.
Ddshot

Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Ddshot »

CloudyMusic wrote:
Ddshot wrote:So been playing a lot battle garrega ps4,I’m playing it in Tate.does any one know if you can display the rank graph at the top or bottom?
Yep, there are widgets for tate mode too, you just need to re-enable them after setting the display to tate mode. I don't remember if there's an actual rank graph, but you can see the rank percentage at the very least.
Hi cloudy,i think I am being blind because I can’t seem to find it on any of the options??do you know which option it is,I’m also using google translate so I wonder if thats why can’t find it

Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Ddshot wrote:
CloudyMusic wrote:
Hi cloudy,i think I am being blind because I can’t seem to find it on any of the options??do you know which option it is,I’m also using google translate so I wonder if thats why can’t find it

If found it,it’s me being dumb[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

Does anyone know if it's possible to extract the rom from the Steam version of Judgement Silversword or to play it in an unfiltered resolution with properly scaled pixels?
SAM

Post by SAM »

In Under Defeat you are give a choose of two heli to choose form at start, Red or Green for 1P.

A side for the color, are there any differences?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

In the HD releases of Under Defeat there's actually 4 selectable helicopters. The two default ones, one that has no charge attack, and a larger one that has homing missiles in addition to the usual weapons. For the two default helicopters that come in red and green, I can't tell any performance differences between them. There might be some, but if so then the difference is subtle.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

I am curious how is going the Cotton reboot and it is planned release date??
I haven’t heard any news recently and a part its digital release is going to hace a physical one on switch and ps4?
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

Is DoDonPachi Resurrection on Steam the best port of DaiFukkatsu in terms of content? Wikipedia says it basically has all the content from the previous ports/versions, is that true?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Arthandas wrote:Is DoDonPachi Resurrection on Steam the best port of DaiFukkatsu in terms of content? Wikipedia says it basically has all the content from the previous ports/versions, is that true?
It has all the content from the 360 ports of DFK and DFKBL, including Black Label Arrange which was exclusive to the standalone disc version of DFKBL. It doesn't have anything from the smartphone versions or anything like that, though. It also doesn't have DFK 1.0, but I don't think that version is accessible anywhere except MAME.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Jonpachi wrote:Does the Switch port of Strikers III include the option to play as the X-36?
Yes. Select the random box and hold up (or is it down?).
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:Does the Switch port of Strikers III include the option to play as the X-36?
Yes. Select the random box and hold up (or is it down?).
Thanks! :D
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!