Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Fudoh »

Picture will be rather good, but you'll have some jailbars left on any blue colored areas.
DJ Kevgeez

XBR800

Post by DJ Kevgeez »

I just got a 36” XBR800 off a guy online for free and the picture is PERFECT but my SNES looks like crap on it.
SNES is hooked up thru HDretrovision Component cables and it looks great but there’s screen shifting.
Does anyone have an idea what’s wrong?

The Trinitron I’m trying to replace it with handles the SNES fine but there’s horizontal ghost Jailbars in the background.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Maybe the XBR800 is running at 31khz+, so it basically performs crappy deinterlacing or framedoubling to convert from your 15khz input. In this case the component input likely also accepts 480p and your best option might be to use an external linedoubler like the Retrotink 2x.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Thank you kitty and fudoh much appreciated
Arms installation complete Good luck
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

I need some advice. I'm struggling to hook up my PS4 to a JVC DT-V1710CG monitor. Tried a cheap HDMI to HD SDI converter, but I got no image. So I've bought the tendak hdmi to vga converter, but I only get a "out of range" message on the screen of my DT-V. Also tried a HDFURY NANO GX, with the same results.

All devices work great with the PS3, but I can't make them work with the PS4. Any thoughts?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Try setting the PS4 to output 1080i video. I'm guessing it's set at 1080p. The PS3 is probably doing 1080i or 720p if it's working with those DACs.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

fernan1234 wrote:Try setting the PS4 to output 1080i video. I'm guessing it's set at 1080p. The PS3 is probably doing 1080i or 720p if it's working with those DACs.
I've done that. Tried 480p, 720p and 1080i and still nothing.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Namingway_PL wrote:I need some advice. I'm struggling to hook up my PS4 to a JVC DT-V1710CG monitor. Tried a cheap HDMI to HD SDI converter, but I got no image. So I've bought the tendak hdmi to vga converter, but I only get a "out of range" message on the screen of my DT-V. Also tried a HDFURY NANO GX, with the same results.

All devices work great with the PS3, but I can't make them work with the PS4. Any thoughts?
I’ve had success with some devices that don’t play nice with other equipment I have by adding products like these to the chain:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32811534810.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32370786271.html
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Those splitters usually help with HDMI issues because they, purposefully or not, strip HDCP. But if a PS3 is being displayed without issues then HDCP can't be the cause of the problem.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Different hdcp versions maybe?
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Hmm... Do You guys think, that it could be the HDMI cable fault? I need to check this out when I get back home
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

The Tendak and the PS4 don't get along well, try the Portta HDMI to VGA with its external PSU plugged in. I use it with my PS4 and 1080i and 720p are no problemo on my CRT presentation monitor and PC CRTs
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Is it possible yet to upload your Pokemon teams from a GameBoy Everdrive to Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2? Same with uploading your Pokemon teams from a GBA Everdrive to Pokemon Colosseum and XD.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

kitty666cats wrote:The Tendak and the PS4 don't get along well, try the Portta HDMI to VGA with its external PSU plugged in. I use it with my PS4 and 1080i and 720p are no problemo on my CRT presentation monitor and PC CRTs
Yeah, but the HDfury nano gx should work fine with the PS4, as it is stated on the box.

But I forgot to mention that my PS4 is a slim model. Maybe it works with the original PS4, but the slim model is a bit diffirent because it has HDR support? I realy don't know.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Namingway_PL wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:The Tendak and the PS4 don't get along well, try the Portta HDMI to VGA with its external PSU plugged in. I use it with my PS4 and 1080i and 720p are no problemo on my CRT presentation monitor and PC CRTs
Yeah, but the HDfury nano gx should work fine with the PS4, as it is stated on the box.

But I forgot to mention that my PS4 is a slim model. Maybe it works with the original PS4, but the slim model is a bit diffirent because it has HDR support? I realy don't know.
Ahhhh, I have an OG model, so that could very well be the case :(
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I think the original PS4 also has HDR support since some firmware update some time ago. But there could be a difference in the HDMI output of original vs. slim though.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Why is no one doing a PS2 ODE?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

H6rdc0re wrote:Why is no one doing a PS2 ODE?
Probably because 480i is the devil and they'll probably have a hard time tackling that (as even the best in the biz - the Framemeister and the like STILL look kinda crappy IMO... way better than BOB deinterlacing of the OSSC of course, but still not great to my eyes).
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Probably because 480i is the devil and they'll probably have a hard time tackling that (as even the best in the biz - the Framemeister and the like STILL look kinda crappy IMO... way better than BOB deinterlacing of the OSSC of course, but still not great to my eyes).
Not if you have a the XRGB Framemeister and probably the OSSC Pro later this year. There might be more examples of scalers doing a good job with 480i content.

PS2 is the most sold console of all time with the biggest games library of all time. That's not even including the full PS1 games library. I think it's a missed opportunity.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

H6rdc0re wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
Not if you have a the XRGB Framemeister and probably the OSSC Pro later this year. There might be more examples of scalers doing a good job with 480i content.

PS2 is the most sold console of all time with the biggest games library of all time. That's not even including the full PS1 games library. I think it's a missed opportunity.
I expect there's not a lot of interest in one because of the proliferation of FMCB/FHDB plus OPL; that satisfies the vast majority of games with no optical drive involved.

That said, if the console's 480i problem is a contributing factor, that might be alleviated somewhat by the PS2Digital, if/when that comes out.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
What does an ODE have to do with the output resolution of the console?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

The drawback of using OPL is that compatibility may be a bit spotty for some games, having to switch between different versions while hunting down compatibility settings from forums.

Having a plug-and-play ODE for the best selling console of all time would definitely be a big deal.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

H6rdc0re wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
Not if you have a the XRGB Framemeister and probably the OSSC Pro later this year.
I was talking specifically about the XRGB-mini (actually I just sold mine the other week). VP50 Pro or VP30 w/ ABT102 don't look any better either.

I'm totally happy with how 240p looks upscaled - it can really be beautiful... 480i and even 480p still look bad in comparison - no matter what the upscaler (or combo of upscalers). Like 480i/480p CAN look great... in comparison to what a TV with bad built-in scaling sometimes does with the native signal for example... but just in the scheme of things and what they can achieve with 240p, it's just nowhere near that level yet. This is why I'm really looking forward to what the OSSC Pro can do with 480i/p.
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

PS2 homebrew has been chugging along for SO long, and at such a continuous rate, that I have a hard time seeing people really gunning for something other than FHDB. So much work has already been done, and it seems most who are real into PS2 are quite content with where FHDB and the likes are at. Plus, if one has gripes with one of the 'usual suspect' apps that goes hand-in-hand (such as GSM), there's older revisions of the apps that people also prefer to the most recent/suggest to others in that crowd who are out there yearning for the same particular GSM resolutions, or legacy features of the zillion other applications.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Agree, while it's not perfect, an OPL HDD solution for the PS2 feels like enough, to the point that a PS2 ODE would have to be absolutely perfect in compatibility, and not too costly or difficult to install, to even consider it. Some games require turning on certain modes for compatibility, but so far OPL has been able to download and turn on the required settings for the games in my 2TB SATA drive.

I did find that the most usually recommended .elf combo of OPL+VMU+GSM has some glitches that were supposedly addressed in later OPL updates (like the Fatal Frame/Zero tutorial lock glitch), so it looks like it's better to use the OPL+VMU only .elf. Just play that sweet 480i library on a CRT :) Some old flat panels may not do too bad with it either, and the OSSC Pro's deinterlacing is the ray of hope we need.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

In regards to those cheap VGA scanline generators that can be had on Amazon for about $25, how well do these work? Any input lag? I'm interested in pairing one with VGA output from a dreamcast to an old vga monitor for a 15 kHz look
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

No input delay, it's all signal passthru as it's analog.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Chomolonzo

Post by Chomolonzo »

I posted a similar question a while back, but in this instance it's a slightly different case. I'll be receiving a Genesis soon and I'll be running it to my Extron Crosspoint, which will connect to my CRT monitors. Thing is, I can get a cable that terminates in BNC or RCA, depending on where I get them from (Retro Access or Retro Gaming Cables) for a hefty sum, OR I can get one that terminates in a SCART head for quite a bit cheaper. Question is, I still have a spare SCART to BNC converter cable knocking around, but it has an inbuilt sync separator. Will it work with a SCART cable with CSYNC output? (https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... -pro-build)
eccoboy

Post by eccoboy »

Chomolonzo wrote:I posted a similar question a while back, but in this instance it's a slightly different case. I'll be receiving a Genesis soon and I'll be running it to my Extron Crosspoint, which will connect to my CRT monitors. Thing is, I can get a cable that terminates in BNC or RCA, depending on where I get them from (Retro Access or Retro Gaming Cables) for a hefty sum, OR I can get one that terminates in a SCART head for quite a bit cheaper. Question is, I still have a spare SCART to BNC converter cable knocking around, but it has an inbuilt sync separator. Will it work with a SCART cable with CSYNC output? (https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... -pro-build)
Yes. A SCART to BNC adapter cable with a built in sync separator is compatible with a console that outputs CSYNC.
Chomolonzo

Post by Chomolonzo »

eccoboy wrote:
Chomolonzo wrote:I posted a similar question a while back, but in this instance it's a slightly different case. I'll be receiving a Genesis soon and I'll be running it to my Extron Crosspoint, which will connect to my CRT monitors. Thing is, I can get a cable that terminates in BNC or RCA, depending on where I get them from (Retro Access or Retro Gaming Cables) for a hefty sum, OR I can get one that terminates in a SCART head for quite a bit cheaper. Question is, I still have a spare SCART to BNC converter cable knocking around, but it has an inbuilt sync separator. Will it work with a SCART cable with CSYNC output? (https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... -pro-build)
Yes. A SCART to BNC adapter cable with a built in sync separator is compatible with a console that outputs CSYNC.
Thanks heaps for the answer, you've been a big help.