Taito Legends 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Shatterhand wrote:G-Darius PS1 = Welcome to slowdown city.

Dunno about the PC version, but the PS1 is not just "full of slowdown", it is at a permanent slowdown.. sometimes it slow, sometimes it's extremely slow, and sometimes it's amazingly slow. The speed keeps changing all the time.. only when the screen is really empty, the game does a "fastup" and runs at the proper speed, but those moments usually don't last for more than 2 seconds.

It's still a very enjoyable game (God knows how many times I've finished it), but very far from the real arcade experience. Also, playing it for too long will make you too soft, as when you get back to the arcade version (Or the TL2 version for the matter), you will be brutally killed by the difficulty raise you get by playing the game at the proper speed.
D

Post by D »

Now that you mention it. That is exactly what is happening :P
Never saw the original in action, but I did notica that at some point. I was unable to compute, now it does make alot of sense. Thanks for taking the effort to remind us what you already told us. :oops:
MathU

Post by MathU »

I went and ordered the PC version (not sure, but it must be US region because I see an ESRB rating on the cover), and only recently heard about Starforce being on it. Could someone explain to me how Starforce is installed and how I go about getting around it? I'd really rather not have that garbage installed on my computer.
Last edited by MathU on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

i have no idea why people give a shit about Starforce, but afaik US ver come without it.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

IT USES STARFORCE???

Dammit! That explains why my machine has been running so poorly the last month. Thank God it's still under warranty.

To answer your question, Starforce is more than just plain old DRM, it's Malware that can cause permanent damage to your optical drives.

And finally (to the developer), come on, you people! Downloading MAME ROMs is practically an institution! It's easier to do than Warez and everybody does it. So when the rare soul like myself pays money for a legal copy of your game, you reward me with malicious DRM to make darn sure I don't try any funny business? Screw you guys!
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

For all the reports that say Starforce drivers fuck up your PC, there are others that say that claim is bullshit. But if you're paranoid...

http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55

... use the removal tool there, and find a No-CD fix for the game.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

P_HAT wrote:i have no idea why people give a shit about Starforce, but afaik US ver come without it.
I have the US one and I can confirm that it has Starforce with it. The US Taito Legends 2 PC even has the Xplosiv splash screens. I just use the roms that came with it with MAME since they take up less space that way and MAME gives me more options like the ability to use the mouse with certain games, which was left out of the interface that Atomic Planet (TL2 is listed on their website, so I'm guessing they did the PC and Xbox versions) used. The game doesn't install StarForce on initial installation, only after starting to run the program and choosing yes to install "protection", making it easier to use the ROMs with MAME or use a patch to bypass it.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Oh, great. So it doesn't install anything covertly? You have to actually give it permission? Using MAME was my intention anyway.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Mischief Maker wrote:IT USES STARFORCE???

Dammit! That explains why my machine has been running so poorly the last month. Thank God it's still under warranty.
i lol'd.
Man, 90% of games in Ukaraine come out with starforce, and i NEVER had any problem with it :lol:
Maybe you should upgrade your hands.dll? :lol:

Btw, to all - is pc ver have same emulation problems as ps2 ver?
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Shatterhand wrote:

Dunno about the PC version, but the PS1 is not just "full of slowdown", it is at a permanent slowdown.. sometimes it slow, sometimes it's extremely slow, and sometimes it's amazingly slow. The speed keeps changing all the time.. only when the screen is really empty, the game does a "fastup" and runs at the proper speed, but those moments usually don't last for more than 2 seconds.

It's still a very enjoyable game (God knows how many times I've finished it), but very far from the real arcade experience. Also, playing it for too long will make you too soft, as when you get back to the arcade version (Or the TL2 version for the matter), you will be brutally killed by the difficulty raise you get by playing the game at the proper speed.
WORD. I don't know how close the TL2 version is to the arcade, but it is definitely MUCH FASTER than the PS1 version. The PS1 version is kind of easy - a couple years ago I was 1CC'ing it on Maniac. On the TL2 version I have never come close even on Normal. Although there are those on this board who can do it.
SWY: Games are just for fun
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

doctorx0079 wrote:
Shatterhand wrote:

WORD. I don't know how close the TL2 version is to the arcade, but it is definitely MUCH FASTER than the PS1 version. The PS1 version is kind of easy - a couple years ago I was 1CC'ing it on Maniac. On the TL2 version I have never come close even on Normal. Although there are those on this board who can do it.
I just ordered TL2, because of all the talk of how the game runs much faster. I'm a pretty big fan of G Darius.

Now, are the graphics as good as the PS1 game?
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

evil_ash_xero wrote: Now, are the graphics as good as the PS1 game?
After Zinc it looks like crap :wink:
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
doctorx0079 wrote:
Shatterhand wrote:
I just ordered TL2, because of all the talk of how the game runs much faster. I'm a pretty big fan of G Darius.

Now, are the graphics as good as the PS1 game?
The graphics look the same, except the intro is a little shorter. The awesome music is the same awesome music.
SWY: Games are just for fun
Turrican

Re: Taito Legends 2

Post by Turrican »

Not that it really makes a difference in this day and age, but just out of curiosity: can anyone confirm that the european PS2 release supports multitap for Growl and the other more than 2p games? (The two Magic titles I presume)
X - P - B
Mero

Post by Mero »

I can't answer your question but Growl isn't on PS2 Taito Legends 2.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mero wrote:I can't answer your question but Growl isn't on PS2 Taito Legends 2.
Growl is definitely in PS2 Taito Legends 2. It's even listed on the back of the box. I don't have a PS2 multitap (only the ps1 multitap), but the box doesn't list multitap support.

This flyer explains why Growl is often in 2p cabinets despite supporting 4 players.
Mero

Post by Mero »

BrianC wrote:
Mero wrote:I can't answer your question but Growl isn't on PS2 Taito Legends 2.
Growl is definitely in PS2 Taito Legends 2. It's even listed on the back of the box. I don't have a PS2 multitap (only the ps1 multitap), but the box doesn't list multitap support.

This flyer explains why Growl is often in 2p cabinets despite supporting 4 players.

You're right, I must have been thinkkng of one of the others that wasn't included.

Nothing on the box of Pal PS2 Taito Legends 2 or in the manual indicates multitap support.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I see... A thread in neogaf or reddit must have put me on the wrong track then.

What about Capcom Classic "Bionic Commando, Mercs"
Or Midway "Gauntlet" A. Treasures?

It's astounding the lack of info on this multitap...
X - P - B
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Multitap

Judging by this list there aren't too many games compatible with it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:I see... A thread in neogaf or reddit must have put me on the wrong track then.

What about Capcom Classic "Bionic Commando, Mercs"
Or Midway "Gauntlet" A. Treasures?

Capcom Classic collection is compatible with the PS2 multi-tap, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the earlier PS1 multi-tap.