Rolling Gunner (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
guigui

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch)

Post by guigui »

^ It is, almost on par with some Cave games, though less polished for sure.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

guigui wrote:^ It is, almost on par with some Cave games, though less polished for sure.
I honestly think it's better than some of the Cave titles. Really hoping this studio puts out more titles. They did a great job with RG.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It's an amazing doujin game for sure, really stoked to see it has an arcade release in the works now.

The only problem is the unusual slowdown that's added to the Over Power version, still not sure if that's intentional or not.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I discovered that Rank 15 is indeed the minimum to trigger the TLB and not 16 when I accidentally triggered the TLB on an Original difficulty run where I didn't mean to.
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

Physical Edition announced for Switch: https://mobile.twitter.com/PhysicalityG ... 5199358978
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

djsheep wrote:Physical Edition announced for Switch: https://mobile.twitter.com/PhysicalityG ... 5199358978
Preorders are now opened.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

There's a version 2.10 update you can get by using the URL and download key and redownloading Rolling Gunner OverPower. Can confirm that the version 2.10 resolves the unusual slowdown issues in the first OverPower release 2.01 version. It now runs exactly like the original version 1.20 release.

Kudos for the dev team for quickly addressing and fixing it.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:There's a version 2.10 update you can get by using the URL and download key and redownloading Rolling Gunner OverPower. Can confirm that the version 2.10 resolves the unusual slowdown issues in the first OverPower release 2.01 version. It now runs exactly like the original version 1.20 release.
Is it possible to get the Overpower dlc on the Switch edition? Bought the Japanese version on the Switch eshop, but I can't seem to figure out how to get this going. PC version only?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

So far it's PC only, the Overpower update hasn't been released for the Switch.

On the upside, the standard mode of the game is the better of the two. Overpower gives you a new soundtrack you can use in either mode, but the actual Overpower mode itself is weird and has a ton of bullet cancelling. It's among the most bullet cancel-y shmups ever made.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Thanks for the info. Ya, I'm not a big fan of bullet cancelling either. There was one shmup for 360 that was especially egregious in this regard. Think it was called Bullet Soul Infinite burst. Game that pops into my mind when I think about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPplqMWmGPk
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Bullet Soul was kinda weird in that the bullet souls (when you killed enemies) didn't seem to do anything. They had no apparent scoring relevance. At least in Danmaku Unlimited 3's Spirit mode, you can still freely use them to graze to build meter so they play a scoring role.

Rolling Gunner Overpower is closest to something like Deathsmiles Mega Black Label on Level 999, except with a forgiving shield system, and the ability to block ALL shots, including with your new cannon. You want to constantly be cancelling enemy shots to score points, basically, but it kinda removes the joy of dodging enemy patterns. The main threat becomes the constant aimed bullets fired erratically whenever enemies are destroyed, so you're mostly dodging angled revenge bullets.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Aaaaaaand as I'm sure many probably expected if you were paying attention to the rate of orders from Physicality over the last several months, all of the games they were going to put out on physical releases have been cancelled due to lack of orders:

https://twitter.com/PhysicalityGame/sta ... 0517140486

I really hope someone else can manage to pick up Rolling Gunner but we'll see
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

CStarFlare and I were chatting about potential changes to the arcade release of Rolling Gunner. Based on footage I've found of the standard mode, I'm pretty sure gameplay is identical to the PC/Switch release. Here are the videos I've based this on:

Casual playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2vgvoBjEI
Original playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzOjxHEnQM

Details as follows:

• Bullet patterns for each game mode appear to be identical to the original releases. This is assuming the separate difficulty option in the options menu is set to the default Normal, which I'd assume it is. Original mode is about the same if not a bit harder than a standard CAVE clear due to having lots of resources balanced by the difficulty of managing enemies attacking from all sides. Playing for score is significantly harder than say a 1-All of Dodonpachi or 1CC of Espgaluda, because the TLB alone is a massive resource hog and you're very likely to trigger it due to being at high rank late game if playing for score. Besides, you need a ton of resources to even think about lowering the rank enough to avoid the TLB, to the extent where you may not even have the resources needed to drop the rank low enough unless you nomiss to the final boss!

• Casual is unchanged, and still has autobombs which cost only one bomb. I was a bit surprised as I thought if anything would be changed in the arcade version it'd be making autobombs eat your entire stock in Casual, but it is functionally the same as before (the player autobombs during the final boss, for instance). This may make Rolling Gunner's Casual Mode one of the easiest 1CCs for an arcade shmup, at least for a full-length bullet hell game (not counting stuff like Batrider's training mode).

• Novice mode does not appear to be selectable. Makes sense that it'd be seen as too easy for an arcade release, Casual is already sufficient and easier than most arcade games.

• If there's a difficulty and extend setting option like there is in the original release, it's probably limited to the arcade operator to select, same as usual with PCB settings.

• No idea if Over Power Version is a playable mode in the arcade release, and if so, what changes there are. There's no footage of it, and I can't see an option in the arcade version's menus to select between Standard/Original or Over Power Version.

• You can play through the game with either the original or remixed Over Power soundtrack by selecting left/right when on the mode select screen.

• There's a new single-stage Score Attack option. Not sure how it works in terms of scoring though.

• New icons at the bottom right appear to show if you have a headset or gamepad plugged in, which the hardware apparently supports.

• You can tweak the control settings prior to playing. This video suggests that there's per-player save data support (possibly using a card reader or something). I'd guess that you can access settings and tweak stuff such as bullet hitbox colour or the bullet aura option in the arcade version, as the bullet aura (where pink bullets have a blue aura and blue bullets have a pink aura) is disabled in both videos above. It's also possible that hitbox colour and bullet aura options are in the arcade operator options menu, or bullet aura was disabled altogether for the AC release.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Thanking for looking through all that! It's been at least 6 months since I played the game so didn't feel qualified to say it was unchanged, though it certainly looks that way. Is Over Power actually in the arcade version? It feels so much like a console arrange mode that I'm surprised.

In any case, it's great that this showed up in the arcades even if it seems to have been to little fanfare - Rolling Gunner is probably better than Cave's final 3 games, so it deserved a place in game centers.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

CStarFlare wrote:Is Over Power actually in the arcade version? It feels so much like a console arrange mode that I'm surprised.
I don't know for sure, will update previous post to clarify. It might not be a playable mode (and that would make sense, it feels like a too-forgiving-for-arcade arrange mode). I haven't seen any footage of arcade Over Power, and the only mention of it I saw was in the music selection; at the very least the soundtrack for it's in this. The problem is the menus are all in Japanese, very limited English except on the difficulty select screen. I can tell in the last video it's written out in Katakana at 1:19 that the standard game is labelled "Story" and the score attack is labelled "Score Attack", but I haven't been able to read the options on the previous screens with the green background that have "Aime" and then several options with Kanji. I know the last screen with the green background has "Game Start" written in Katakana on the left, but I can't tell what the rest say.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Rolling Gunner Over Power appears to be available for purchase on Nintendo Switch's JP store now: https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/soft ... 24356.html
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Nice, only a matter of time before I get myself eeezy 1cc's on my switch copy.
Ant1-Hero

Post by Ant1-Hero »

Loved all of the releases, but preferer the original version and sound track myself.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

For anyone who was waiting, Over Power finally got listed in the US eShop as $10 DLC, releasing January 14th:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/r ... er-switch/
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

January 14th? Just in time for Heart Aino's birthday!
SPM

Post by SPM »

Also on the EU eshop :D
Spoiler
BTW, is there a way to resize an image from a link? I put it on spoiler because it's kind of huge
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

No, you have to resize the image first before you upload it and generate a share link.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
clippa

Post by clippa »

just wanted to see if that works, it does!

add :small after the .jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eqk2ohoXIAMjKj6.jpg:small
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Weird, it looks like Firefox currently doesn't work with IMG tag images that have :small after them, it just displays the word "Image" instead of the actual image itself. Opera doesn't seem to have that issue.
SPM

Post by SPM »

clippa wrote:just wanted to see if that works, it does!

add :small after the .jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eqk2ohoXIAMjKj6.jpg:small
Nice! Changing "large" for "small" on the twitter link also works

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eqk2ohoXIAM ... name=large

->

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eqk2ohoXIAM ... name=small
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Played the OverPower dlc a bunch today from the Japanese Switch shop, I want to love it but I just sorta like it. I definitely prefer the original gameplay more. The bullet canceling/blocking is so powerful that coasting through a 1cc even on Expert mode is easily doable. I love the abundant scoring with all of the additional medal drops so there is some meat here if you are into high score challenges but yeah, I was hoping by pumping it up to expert mode that it would provide more of a challenge. Still happy to support the devs either way.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Does anybody know if there's a rapid shot in the Overpower DLC? It's there in the button config for the main mode, but unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't see it in the options for Overpower :|
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

It's hard to put my finger on exactly what it is, but after playing the OverPower DLC for a bit I like it.

Although the base game was fun, the control of the rolling gun did take a bit of getting used to. Also, it most likely was just me, but I felt like I had a lot more "what got me!?" deaths than most other Cave style games. With OverPower, the use of the right stick on a controller to position the rolling gun (like an overhead twin stick shooter) and the ability for it to block shots helps a lot with those two things, which I think is why I am having more fun with it. I don't know how it would work with an arcade stick though.

In regards to the overall difficulty, I do think a survival run is easier now with the rolling gun blocking shots. However, I haven't paid much attention to or tried any scoring focused runs yet. I just feel like by blocking a ton of shots during boss fights I am missing out on a lot of scoring potential. If that's the case then it would make sense from a risk/reward perspective but I might just be overthinking it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BEAMLORD wrote:Does anybody know if there's a rapid shot in the Overpower DLC?
There is no rapid fire button in Overpower. It, unfortunately, appears to assume the default way you'll play it is going to be with a twin-stick setup where the right stick is used for rapid fire. Overpower can be played with a traditional arcade stick but controlling the gunpod is a lot trickier because it doesn't latch in place when transitioning from mashing shot to holding shot like it does in the standard version.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
BEAMLORD wrote:Does anybody know if there's a rapid shot in the Overpower DLC?
There is no rapid fire button in Overpower. It, unfortunately, appears to assume the default way you'll play it is going to be with a twin-stick setup where the right stick is used for rapid fire. Overpower can be played with a traditional arcade stick but controlling the gunpod is a lot trickier because it doesn't latch in place when transitioning from mashing shot to holding shot like it does in the standard version.
Yeah, I got the 1cc in original difficulty with an arcade stick. The control felt off straight away, and yeah the gunpod moves very awkwardly. I'm not much into twin-stick shooters, and don't particularly like to play in handheld either on Switch, for shooters at least.