Wii VC 240p mode list

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Logan Jones

Re: Wii VC 240p mode list

Post by Logan Jones »

Is there a 240p compatibility list available for Wii VC titles in other regions (e.g. Japan)? I recently discovered the following Japan Wii VC titles DO NOT support 240p:

Ai Cho Aniki
Gradius
ImageFight
ImageFight2
Salamander
Do the Japanese MSX VC games support 240p? I've always wondered if they did. I know BlueMSX for the Wii certainly doesn't.
bikerspade

Post by bikerspade »

I will check and let you know.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

GeneraLight wrote:I know MegaMan 9/1 are natively rendered in 480i, but which resolutions are Contra/Castlevania Rebirth rendered at?
They can be displayed at 480i or 480p, so I'm guessing 480p. I think Castelvania has a high-res title screen, so that probably rules out an internal upscale from 240p. But I've displayed them in 240p from Dolphin and they looked great.
bikerspade

Post by bikerspade »

Logan Jones wrote:Do the Japanese MSX VC games support 240p? I've always wondered if they did. I know BlueMSX for the Wii certainly doesn't.
Yes, I checked a handful (Aleste, Parodius, Quarth) and those support 240p.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

bikerspade wrote:
Logan Jones wrote:Do the Japanese MSX VC games support 240p? I've always wondered if they did. I know BlueMSX for the Wii certainly doesn't.
Yes, I checked a handful (Aleste, Parodius, Quarth) and those support 240p.
Cool! I'd like to get my hands on some of them.
Halskatten

Post by Halskatten »

bikerspade wrote:I have just finished converting all Wii VC NTSC-U TG16 (including CD) releases to 240p. All of the conversions have been tested on my Wii. Let me know if you are interested in them.
I would love to have the 240p converted NTSC-U TG16 CD games if you still have them. You guys are amazing.
bikerspade

Post by bikerspade »

Halskatten wrote:
bikerspade wrote:I have just finished converting all Wii VC NTSC-U TG16 (including CD) releases to 240p. All of the conversions have been tested on my Wii. Let me know if you are interested in them.
I would love to have the 240p converted NTSC-U TG16 CD games if you still have them. You guys are amazing.
Send me a DM
moltomolto

Post by moltomolto »

bikerspade wrote:
Halskatten wrote:
Send me a DM
I am also interested. DM sent.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

I've noticed something where the horizontal resolution is a bit off on some games, namely Castlevania X and Metal Slug series.

I'm not sure if there's any sort of fix to this?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
orange808

Post by orange808 »

headlesshobbs wrote:I've noticed something where the horizontal resolution is a bit off on some games, namely Castlevania X and Metal Slug series.

Did you double check the aspect ratio settings?
We apologise for the inconvenience
jayde6

Post by jayde6 »

headlesshobbs wrote:I've noticed something where the horizontal resolution is a bit off on some games, namely Castlevania X and Metal Slug series.

It was a long time ago at this point but I want to say that there was a Sunday Livestream with My Life in Gaming where they mentioned this.

It was when they were working on their Castlevania Requiem video, said they were surprised by it.
JoeStepien

Post by JoeStepien »

bikerspade wrote:
Halskatten wrote:
Send me a DM
I'm very interested, but I can't send a DM because I'm a new user :oops:
laffco

Post by laffco »

bikerspade wrote:
retrorgb wrote:I'd eventually love to make a "rompack" of all VC games (and maybe even MM9&10) converted to 240p. I bookmarked your guide when you posted it, but never found time to go through the process ;/
I have just finished converting all Wii VC NTSC-U TG16 (including CD) releases to 240p. All of the conversions have been tested on my Wii. Let me know if you are interested in them.
Hi! I would also like to have the 240p converted NTSC-U TG16 (including CD) releases if possible :) Also a new user, can't DM either. Greatly appreciate any help with this!
IntrovertedRobot

Post by IntrovertedRobot »

bikerspade wrote:
Halskatten wrote:
Send me a DM
I'm in the same boat as JoeStepien, can't send a DM cause I'm new here but I'm definitely very interested.
RicJimUrcid

Post by RicJimUrcid »

I'm Also interested in the 240p modified TG16 wads!!!
donbrandoni

Post by donbrandoni »

bikerspade wrote:
Halskatten wrote:
Send me a DM
New here. Also interested. Thanks!
silverhick

Post by silverhick »

I hate to be that "new guy" but I would love these as well. Playing Gates of Thunder so blurry is painful. Please PM me.
chubs_yo

Post by chubs_yo »

bikerspade wrote:
Halskatten wrote:
Send me a DM
I'm with the rest of these guys, if you're still active and they are available I'm interested.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Wow! This is amaizing! I'm also interested if they are still available!
bikerspade

Post by bikerspade »

Namingway_PL wrote:
Wow! This is amaizing! I'm also interested if they are still available!
Yes, my conversions have been added to the MarioCube repository for anyone interested.
Last edited by bikerspade on Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Arasoi wrote:I can't comment on the others, but I can confirm Mega Man 9/10 cannot be forced into 240p by any means I've tried over the years.

With HBC and Wiiflow, the games can however be forced into 480p.
How?! I've tried to force Mega Man 9 into 480p using different tools (including Wiiflow) years back, and they always started in 480i.

Also didn't manage to force Castlevania Rebirth into 480p, for what it's worth.
the androgyne

Post by the androgyne »

Can someone give me a quick sanity check re: WADs and regions?
I have an NTSC-J Wii, I can install NTSC-U WADs right?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

the androgyne wrote:Can someone give me a quick sanity check re: WADs and regions?
I have an NTSC-J Wii, I can install NTSC-U WADs right?
You can install them, but most if not all out-of-region VC/WiiWare titles will give you an error message when you try to run them. Pretty sure you need to patch the system somehow to avoid this. I used to successfully do this with old StartPatch hacks on an NTSC-U Wii, but on the NTSC-J Wii I use currently I never got those to work, and the newer and recommended "region free everything" hack on Priiloader didn't work for me either, but that's what I would try first.
the androgyne

Post by the androgyne »

Thanks. I think I must have done something in the past to that effect, because i just tried then and they seem to work. Worst thing about hacking is remembering exactly what you did so long ago!
bikerspade

Post by bikerspade »

Hassle-free way to install wads from another region is to install them to an emuNand and run them from USB Loader GX