Technical question about converting PAL to NTSC (DVDs)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
evil_ash_xero

Technical question about converting PAL to NTSC (DVDs)

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I have unfortunately gotten my hands on some PAL DVDs, and I have to sort them out for play on my streamer.
I'm a little confused by the stuff I read on the internet. Like, I know I can get the frame rate right in HandBrake, which I have done in the past.
However, I've read recently that this does not affect the sound. Which is quite confusing to me, as when I have straightened out the FPS, the audio matches up with the mouth movements.
Is this only a concern if you are watching this on a burnt DVD? I'm watching this on WD TV Media Player.
I tried to slow down the sound, in one DVD, and merged it with the 24 fps video file. But the sound was obviously slow. I saw a guide on this on the net.

So, it seems to me that changing the fps from 25 to 24 fps in HandBrake sorts things out, but I want to make sure the sound is right.
I have a The Tick collection, that was PAL, and it's audio was obviously high pitched. I sorted out the frame rate, and it sounded OK. So, I'm really confused by people saying the audio needs to be converted too.
Fudoh

Re: Technical question about converting PAL to NTSC (DVDs)

Post by Fudoh »

There are several methods, all very much depending on the actual content (film vs. video).

Is this about playback issues ? You can rip your DVDs into MKV files. Your WD TV player will play these just fine and if set your WD TV to 1080p60 output, you basically get a rough PAL to NTSC conversion on the fly.

Once you start playing with the frame rates, you have to pay attention to your actual base time code. If you convert 25 fps film material to 24 fps without adjusting the play time as well, you're just dropping frames. A proper conversion would be to stretch out the movie by 4% (and the audio as well of course).
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fudoh wrote:There are several methods, all very much depending on the actual content (film vs. video).

Is this about playback issues ? You can rip your DVDs into MKV files. Your WD TV player will play these just fine and if set your WD TV to 1080p60 output, you basically get a rough PAL to NTSC conversion on the fly.

Once you start playing with the frame rates, you have to pay attention to your actual base time code. If you convert 25 fps film material to 24 fps without adjusting the play time as well, you're just dropping frames. A proper conversion would be to stretch out the movie by 4% (and the audio as well of course).
Ah, thank you for that information. I do have the WD TV player set for 1080 60HZ. I just didn't know if it would force PAL to "play nice". And I'll just rip them to MKV, rather than the ISO.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

As an American you should be used to 3:2 pulldown stutter (that's what you get when you play back 24fps material on 60Hz TVs). Playing back PAL on 60Hz looks very, very similar, so I doubt that you would be bothered by the introduced stutter.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fudoh wrote:As an American you should be used to 3:2 pulldown stutter (that's what you get when you play back 24fps material on 60Hz TVs). Playing back PAL on 60Hz looks very, very similar, so I doubt that you would be bothered by the introduced stutter.
The most important point to me is it running at the right speed.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Not really the answer you're looking for, but you might be interested in an Oppo DV-980H dvd player. Can be set to region 0 in the service menus, does PAL to NTSC without a hitch and was (probably still is) hailed as the best HD upconverting dvd player on the market. It's a marvelous little device. Makes playing all sorts of stuff a breeze.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

brokenhalo wrote:Not really the answer you're looking for, but you might be interested in an Oppo DV-980H dvd player. Can be set to region 0 in the service menus, does PAL to NTSC without a hitch and was (probably still is) hailed as the best HD upconverting dvd player on the market. It's a marvelous little device. Makes playing all sorts of stuff a breeze.
I had the DV-981HD and it was great. Played PAL DVDs natively and upscaling and pull down was very good. Sadly it is with an ex-gf now...

IIRC there was a model that was even better. either the 980 you mention, or the 983. can't remember.

Needs to besaid that BD players now upscale DVDs pretty much as well as that. But yeah that region free Oppo DVD player was really fun for just throwing all kinds of media in it and have it look great at 1080p. very convenient. Sound from CDs was pretty nice too.

Sorry OP :mrgreen: back on topic
-FM Synth & Black Metal-