Twin stick recommendations

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Square_Air

Re: Twin stick recommendations

Post by Square_Air »

orange808 wrote:Robotron 2084 is also well represented on MiSTer.
opt2not wrote:Robotron is a must if you’re a fan of the genre. It’s what started twin stick shooters!
BrianC wrote:As far as ports go, Atari 7800 is definitely one of the better home versions of Robotron 2084 and even supports using two joysticks.
Austin wrote:The PS1 port of Robotron is excellent (available on the first Arcade's Greatest Hits: Midway Collection 1).
Gotta jump in here and echo the Robotron: 2084 suggestion, it really deserves it's reputation.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Square_Air wrote:
opt2not wrote:Robotron is a must if you’re a fan of the genre. It’s what started twin stick shooters!
BrianC wrote:As far as ports go, Atari 7800 is definitely one of the better home versions of Robotron 2084 and even supports using two joysticks.
Austin wrote:The PS1 port of Robotron is excellent (available on the first Arcade's Greatest Hits: Midway Collection 1).
Gotta jump in here and echo the Robotron: 2084 suggestion, it really deserves it's reputation.
Truth. I am dog shit at it, but it is one of those rare cases where the original is still pretty much king.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Stevens wrote:
Square_Air wrote:
Truth. I am dog shit at it, but it is one of those rare cases where the original is still pretty much king.
I’m currently working on setting up my gear for some twitch streaming, and Robotron is going to be my first stream (from an original cabinet). Thinking about doing a 10-million run, that’s a good 2.5-3 hours...
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Pasky recommended Ruiner on twitter a while back. Picked it up but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

It's on sale on GOG for $4.99 right now --> https://www.gog.com/game/ruiner
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
it290

Post by it290 »

Ah yeah, I gotta get back to Ruiner at some point. Definitely pretty different from your standard twin stick fare, but with a unique gameplay style that makes clearing rooms pretty satisfying.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Well if we can stretch the definition of twin stick to include Ruiner, I have to recommend Synthetik: Legion Rising.

Here's a great video review.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

opt2not wrote:I’m currently working on setting up my gear for some twitch streaming, and Robotron is going to be my first stream (from an original cabinet). Thinking about doing a 10-million run, that’s a good 2.5-3 hours...
I'd watch that if I had time. I'd like to go for 10 mil some day, but first I gotta work on getting to 5 mil. :roll:
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Square_Air wrote:
opt2not wrote:I’m currently working on setting up my gear for some twitch streaming, and Robotron is going to be my first stream (from an original cabinet). Thinking about doing a 10-million run, that’s a good 2.5-3 hours...
I'd watch that if I had time. I'd like to go for 10 mil some day, but first I gotta work on getting to 5 mil. :roll:
Cool! Follow me on my twitch account so you can get an update when I stream. My twitch account handle is Gillaxian. (I don’t use opt2not for twitch). 8)
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

opt2not wrote:Cool! Follow me on my twitch account so you can get an update when I stream. My twitch account handle is Gillaxian. (I don’t use opt2not for twitch). 8)
Good to know, there was an opt2not twitch with an R-Type pic and I thought that was you.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Square_Air wrote:
opt2not wrote:Cool! Follow me on my twitch account so you can get an update when I stream. My twitch account handle is Gillaxian. (I don’t use opt2not for twitch). 8)
Good to know, there was an opt2not twitch with an R-Type pic and I thought that was you.
Yeah that’s me too, but I won’t be using that account to stream.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Anybody playing The Ascent?

I rarely get sucked into a new release nowadays but for whatever reason this game really got its hooks into me. Graphics, music, and world design combine to make a truly compelling vibe.

The ‘twin stick shooter’ gameplay is fun too. Playing with mouse and keyboard is sublime. I was stuck on this boss section for almost 3 hours and having a complete blast trying to perfect my run. I usually rage quit with the quickness but this kept me playing because it was so damn fun. Only later did I realize that I hadn’t been powering up my character or buying new abilities. Once I did that it still took me a couple of tries to clear the section.

I can’t remember the last time a new game lived in my head like this (maybe Control or Seikiro) but then again I don’t play a lot of new shit.

I’m about halfway through so not sure how everything will hold up in the long run but for now I’m having a blast. Worth signing up for Gamepass’ $1 introductory month IMO.