TUTORIAL for TVOne Corio2 240p Downscalers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: TUTORIAL for TVOne Corio2 240p Downscalers

Post by Fudoh »

Can i ask how you connect your corio device to your TV?
i mean the exact cable you use to connect the VGA out from the corio to a consumer TV.
if you're connecting a 15khz RGBHV source to a consumer TV with RGB Scart input you need a) a sync combiner (to get H+V into composite sync) and b) you need to attenuate your video levels. A device lika the UMSA can do both. If you're using a RGB monitor instead, you might not have to worry about the sync level. If your target display and your Corio2 unit support different sync types, you can try that as well. For example RGsB.

My particular Corio2 unit is configured for component output.
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

Hi Fudoh,

To be sure i would need someone with a setup like mine, Corioc2-400 to Consumer TV to please test one of these games like ultra streetfighter 4 or Doom 2016, Sonic 3D,and i believe any 'recent' game without 4:3 or WIDE option really

I have looked in the manual of the Corio C2-400 and it says there that the VGA output pin 13 (H-sync) is the composite-sync used for RGBS but comes out TTL level so i used a 470ohm resistor and connected that to pin 20 of the scart.
The only other connection left to connect to get RGB are RGB and it's corresponding grounds which i did.

This works, and gives met a clean image on the Sony CRT through scart, although with the horizontal black lines issue but not for all games and that is what i find so strange, it might indeed be that games not made for 240p or do not have a wide option like deathsmiles dont handle the conversion to 240p correctly.

The UMSA works great in my Astro City with groovymame (also VGA to RGBS), but this very same UMSA has the same problem when i connect it to the Corio's VGA out into my Sony CRT .
PS: Before i acquired the Astro City cab,I had the groovymame pc hooked up to the Sony CRT and that worked fine.

I have tried with another CRT i have, a B&O MX4000 CRT,same issue, also horizontal black lines as shown in the video of Sonic 3D.

Really starting to wonder, unless there is a problem with my Corio, these games might not be able to be displayed correctly Could it be the horizontal black lines are due to scaling a 1080 or 720 game to 240p ? Maybe that is why the dreamcast games work fine?

Unless someone can confirm they have no trouble with the games i listed here on a CRT TV with the corcioC2-400, i am at a stalemate here..
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

kitty666cats wrote:Image
I was told by somebody in a Discord chat I partake in that this image here definitely isn't 240p, I'm just kinda curious how one can immediately tell just by a quick glance? The scanlines here appeared after adjusting the image and moving it downwards incrementally, they kinda popped up outta nowhere from what, beforehand, was very obviously 480i with no defined lines. The scanlines were completely stable and didn't really 'phase' in and out (like what you would get using, say, a VSC-500 with all options set to stabilize the image).

They kept telling me to snap a photo at 1/30 shutter speed, but I don't think my phone can do that. Could I see some sort of comparison photo of someone else's model with ~ verified 240p ~ functionality so I can see this difference I don't quite understand? Maybe they assumed I had snapped this pic at the exact right moment, but no, those lines were set in place and still-as-a-statue! O_o
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

kitty666cats wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Image
I was told by somebody in a Discord chat I partake in that this image here definitely isn't 240p, I'm just kinda curious how one can immediately tell just by a quick glance? The scanlines here appeared after adjusting the image and moving it downwards incrementally, they kinda popped up outta nowhere from what, beforehand, was very obviously 480i with no defined lines. The scanlines were completely stable and didn't really 'phase' in and out (like what you would get using, say, a VSC-500 with all options set to stabilize the image).

They kept telling me to snap a photo at 1/30 shutter speed, but I don't think my phone can do that. Could I see some sort of comparison photo of someone else's model with ~ verified 240p ~ functionality so I can see this difference I don't quite understand? Maybe they assumed I had snapped this pic at the exact right moment, but no, those lines were set in place and still-as-a-statue! O_o

Like, to me, it most resembles the middle pic here. It's a head-scratcher, my buddy threw me for a loop saying that it's 480i. Am I to infer that a 'proper' C2 supplies you with what looks like the leftmost image?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The comparison image you posted (from Bob's page) is out of context. His next image* gives a better idea. Scanlines (spacing and stability) is identical on a true 240p image and a 240p one down converted from a 480p image. After all, it's real 240p as well.

* https://cdn.retrorgb.com/images/240pCompare03.jpg

Why your previously image posted should obviously be 480i instead of 240p is beyond me, but didn't you previously post an image that also looked like 240p on the photo (some cover snapshots on a yellow background - can't find the image right now). After all a 480i image consists of 240p fields, so every field basically resembles a 240p image with the same scanlines you'd see on a true 240p signal. If your camera only manages to get a shot of that single field, then it will look like 240p.

I don't really understand why you have problems telling 240p from 480i. Obviously you have a CRT on hand and if you just connect any 240p source you have around (doesn't even have to be RGB or component) and then go back to your C2's output, it should be dead easy to tell the difference.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Fudoh wrote:The comparison image you posted (from Bob's page) is out of context. His next image* gives a better idea. Scanlines (spacing and stability) is identical on a true 240p image and a 240p one down converted from a 480p image. After all, it's real 240p as well.

* https://cdn.retrorgb.com/images/240pCompare03.jpg

Why your previously image posted should obviously be 480i instead of 240p is beyond me, but didn't you previously post an image that also looked like 240p on the photo (some cover snapshots on a yellow background - can't find the image right now). After all a 480i image consists of 240p fields, so every field basically resembles a 240p image with the same scanlines you'd see on a true 240p signal. If your camera only manages to get a shot of that single field, then it will look like 240p.

I don't really understand why you have problems telling 240p from 480i. Obviously you have a CRT on hand and if you just connect any 240p source you have around (doesn't even have to be RGB or component) and then go back to your C2's output, it should be dead easy to tell the difference.
Ah yeah, that old image was Nintendo Switch's selection of NES games via a Analog Way scan converter.

I THOUGHT I had no trouble telling 480i and 240p apart, it seems so blatantly obvious to me, until that one fella was insisting on this Corio2 image (the one I just posted earlier tonight) being 480i a little while back. Entirely possible he was talking out of his ass, not being able to see the image in motion IRL...
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Which Power Supply the 1T-C2-400 model use? I'm seeing one on ebay UK, but without Power Supply.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Overkill wrote:Which Power Supply the 1T-C2-400 model use? I'm seeing one on ebay UK, but without Power Supply.
OEM PSU for my 1100 is 12VDC 1A, I wouldn't be surprised if the 400 is the same. TVone has most, if not all, of their legacy products listed on their site with firmware, manuals, all that good stuff. :)
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Thanks kitty666cats, how about the plug?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

orange808 wrote:Corio 2 power supply specifications :

2.5mm 12v DC 1Amp (center positive)
This should hold true for everything but the (rare) wide multiviewer rack units.

Should be the same for both C2 v1 and C2 v2 FPGAs.
We apologise for the inconvenience
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

I am wondering something, are any of you guys actually use a corio c2-400 to play xbox360 720p/1080p games on a 4:3 crt tv?

Im guessing you all are using widescreen crts or some other widescreen display
That might be the reason why i have these vertical lines in games over 480p on xbox360 on a 4:3 crt

In fact, when i set the display settings of the 360 to 720p, the screen on my sony crt goes too dark using the 240p master preset, 480p games are fine when xbox360 display setting are set to 480p
All the older 4:3 games play fine but not the newer ones
I am starting to believe corio c2-400 will never display these games designed for 720p/1080p 16:9 aspect-ratio games corectly on a 4:3 sd crt,either that, or my corio unit has a problem..
orange808

Post by orange808 »

edomatic wrote:I am wondering something, are any of you guys actually use a corio c2-400 to play xbox360 720p/1080p games on a 4:3 crt tv?

Im guessing you all are using widescreen crts or some other widescreen display
That might be the reason why i have these vertical lines in games over 480p on xbox360 on a 4:3 crt

In fact, when i set the display settings of the 360 to 720p, the screen on my sony crt goes too dark using the 240p master preset, 480p games are fine when xbox360 display setting are set to 480p
All the older 4:3 games play fine but not the newer ones
I am starting to believe corio c2-400 will never display these games designed for 720p/1080p 16:9 aspect-ratio games corectly on a 4:3 sd crt,either that, or my corio unit has a problem..
To display it "properly" it would need to be letterboxed.

That means wasting some of the vertical screen space. So, you're going to dip below 240p for the downscaled image. So, what is that going to look like?

You'd be downscaling 720 or 1080 lines of image down to 200 or fewer lines, because I'm wasting screen real estate.

That would look awful. I don't mind if other people try it, but that's not something I care to attempt. It's not worth my effort.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

edomatic wrote:I am wondering something, are any of you guys actually use a corio c2-400 to play xbox360 720p/1080p games on a 4:3 crt tv?
Won't all games play when the Xbox 360 is set to 480p mode? Why would you set the Xbox 360 to 720p or 1080p when 480p is a direct integer scale of 240p (I would rather have the Xbox 360 itself scale that first part to 480p at least)?

To answer your question though, I've done both 1080p from an Xbox one (which being a widescreen format will always have black bars on the top and bottom, i.e. letterboxed -- this is on a 4:3 Sony BVM CRT which I just happen to have a 16:9 mask for FYI):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNVu9d4rcy4

And I've also successfully used the geometry controls to make a widescreen-only 720p game from Xbox 360, downscale to 240p, then use the geometry controls to make it fit into a 4:3 image on a 4:3 CRT (but this game was originally a 4:3 240p game, but to make it for the 360 they kinda just added the graphics on the side to make it 720p for modern screens, then I'm bringing it back home to 240p by stretching the image through the Corio2... still not ideal though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JZkZgGud2s

Both were successful to 240p with a Corio2. Oh, BTW, if your screen gets darker like at 38 seconds on the 2nd video, that's a setting on your PVM that needs to be tweaked actually (found that out later).

But yeah, like Orange808 was getting at, this is kinda a pointless exercise. Myself personally I stick to downscaling 480p 4:3 games for the most part (many of which were original 240p games to begin with, which just happen to be 'converted' to 480p on consoles, so I like turning them back to 240p especially when the only other SD CRT use scenario would mean using horrible 480i as the nasty-other-option). Anything higher, like games natively and originally made for 720p or 1080p flatscreens I find way more enjoyable on my modern flatscreen.
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

Hi Guys,
thanks for reply
yes, i believe i will stick to 480p content too, i myself do not own a xbox one so i cannot test it with that :-)

I never got any game that goes over 480p to display properly doh unless i believe when pillarbox or letterboxed aspect setting in corio was selected (but that is like a screen in a screen if you see what i mean) can't remember which one it was, but then i would have to adjust geometry of the TV and i dont want to go there as it works for all other consoles connected to my set

but like you stated there Dochartaigh, i do not have any issue with the dreamcast and games that are original 4:3 480p games from the xbox360 or xbox classic.
geurge

Post by geurge »

Has anyone used this on a PC for watching videos? I've been ripping a bunch of DVD's and have some 90's cartoons that don't look great on a 1080p TV, was wondering if it'd look any better with this on a CRT
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Overkill wrote:Which Power Supply the 1T-C2-400 model use? I'm seeing one on ebay UK, but without Power Supply.
Did you source a (presumably UK) power supply? If so, could you link to what you bought, please?

I recently got hold of a unit with a US power adapter; does anyone know if it's safe to plug into a universal power adapter or whether I need to use a step-down transformer to work with UK voltages?
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

geurge wrote:Has anyone used this on a PC for watching videos? I've been ripping a bunch of DVD's and have some 90's cartoons that don't look great on a 1080p TV, was wondering if it'd look any better with this on a CRT
There's no reason to downscale DVDs or DVD rips for CRT viewing.
JigsawMan

Post by JigsawMan »

coderkind wrote:
Did you source a (presumably UK) power supply? If so, could you link to what you bought, please?

I recently got hold of a unit with a US power adapter; does anyone know if it's safe to plug into a universal power adapter or whether I need to use a step-down transformer to work with UK voltages?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001W3ZL58/

That what I have used for the C2 2355 and 2855. Should be the same for the 400. It ships from Germany and arrived in about 5 days to the UK. They do a few models, I think 3a is likely overkill but it'll only draw what it needs.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

JigsawMan wrote:
coderkind wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001W3ZL58/

That what I have used for the C2 2355 and 2855. Should be the same for the 400. It ships from Germany and arrived in about 5 days to the UK. They do a few models, I think 3a is likely overkill but it'll only draw what it needs.
Thank you!
Danexmurder

Post by Danexmurder »

I fired up my Corio 2 the other day to try out some Demon's Souls in 240p. I noticed that no matter what I tried the screen was just too dark. I'm wondering if it is my HDMI to VGA converter. I wanted to see if I could get a quick sound off in here of what people are using or have had good luck with.

I've been using one of these Amazon Benefi ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KL ... UTF8&psc=1
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Danexmurder wrote:I fired up my Corio 2 the other day to try out some Demon's Souls in 240p. I noticed that no matter what I tried the screen was just too dark. I'm wondering if it is my HDMI to VGA converter. I wanted to see if I could get a quick sound off in here of what people are using or have had good luck with.

Perhaps try and get one of the Tendak ones that are generally recommended; I've tried them elsewhere for other purposes and it seemed to work well. I've yet to try it with the Corio 2.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

coderkind wrote:
Danexmurder wrote:I fired up my Corio 2 the other day to try out some Demon's Souls in 240p. I noticed that no matter what I tried the screen was just too dark. I'm wondering if it is my HDMI to VGA converter. I wanted to see if I could get a quick sound off in here of what people are using or have had good luck with.

Perhaps try and get one of the Tendak ones that are generally recommended; I've tried them elsewhere for other purposes and it seemed to work well. I've yet to try it with the Corio 2.
An issue I've had with the Tendak is the fact that it doesn't have an external PSU, whereas there's the Portta HDMI to VGA with an (optional) external PSU, I've had situations where I get a pretty dark image with the Portta & just plug it in and the issue can usually be resolved. May still need to make adjustments on your monitor/TV, but don't need to crank any settings up nearly as much! There's also the X-Vue Gamma Boost that I've mused on many times (which I sometimes connect to the Portta's output, it can draw power from the Portta when the Portta is plugged in) that can further help with black crush/making the image more vibrant, but it is mostly intended for home theater use (projectors, etc). Have had good times using it with CRT monitors, but can be overkill on certain monitors/ideally best left for 31+ kHz monitors
wildchild22

Post by wildchild22 »

I have the corio 2 400 model and I set it up using the xml file and everything is fine. My rs-232 to usb cable works 100% fine using the corio2 software. However the firmware flash proggie cannot find the corio2 in win 10.
What serial port settings in device manager needs changing to flash firmware?
JigsawMan

Post by JigsawMan »

wildchild22 wrote:I have the corio 2 400 model and I set it up using the xml file and everything is fine. My rs-232 to usb cable works 100% fine using the corio2 software. However the firmware flash proggie cannot find the corio2 in win 10.
The manual says 57600 baud 8 data bits 1 stop but and no parity.
https://tvone.com/filestore/Manuals-Oth ... pdf#page68

It may the the program, try right mouse on it and run as administrator or set compatibility mode to Windows 7.

I’m lucky enough to have a C2 with a network port, but I’ve used serial connectors on win 10 with loads of other stuff no problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QUZY4WO/

That’s the one I use.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

wildchild22 wrote:I have the corio 2 400 model and I set it up using the xml file and everything is fine. My rs-232 to usb cable works 100% fine using the corio2 software. However the firmware flash proggie cannot find the corio2 in win 10.
Using a similar process to program my Extron Crosspoint (for the touchscreen mod) with a serial cable, I had some issues where I had to (think rollback) the .net framework on Windows 10 to get it to work. Could not be your problem but thought I'd mention it. Weirdly enough I never have these problems (like most things honestly) when using my Mac, which is running Windows Bootcamp... where I've programmed over 40 Corio2's.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63212
wildchild22

Post by wildchild22 »

Mine came with the latest firmware ( or the same as the youtube setup video) but I will give the suggestions a try.
Thanks alot.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

How are you guys feeding different sources in via the VGA connector? I've got a Tendak HDMI-to-VGA adapter, but wondering what might be used to feed component and SCART into it (I'm based in the UK, so Monoprice isn't really an option).
wildchild22

Post by wildchild22 »

You can get a vga to component adapter. Or you could use a vga to rgbhv breakout cable and use only red green and blue for component video.

coderkind wrote:How are you guys feeding different sources in via the VGA connector? I've got a Tendak HDMI-to-VGA adapter, but wondering what might be used to feed component and SCART into it (I'm based in the UK, so Monoprice isn't really an option).
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

coderkind wrote:How are you guys feeding different sources in via the VGA connector? I've got a Tendak HDMI-to-VGA adapter, but wondering what might be used to feed component and SCART into it (I'm based in the UK, so Monoprice isn't really an option).
I use the ~$10 or so 5x BNC to VGA/DB15 dongle/adapter on my Corio2's. Run everything (through an Extron Crosspoint switch) from RGBHV/VGA, RGBS, RGsB, YPbPr into the Corio2 and it doesn't really care what that input signal is, it just works (then outputs whatever I tell it to on the output side through another one of those dongles into the Crosspoint – I mostly output RGBS but I've tried Component/YPbPr into consumer CRT's as well).

Further back in this thread there's a picture of an adapter cable I built for SCART sources - think you can buy them locally in the UK at RetroGamingCables.co.uk (pay attention to the direction - I think theirs can come with a switch now, but speaking overall a SCART to BNC cable is NOT wired the same as a BNC to SCART cable, fyi) - then you would just need a BNC to VGA. Some others probably build a straight 1-cable SCART to VGA (or VGA to SCART) if you look around. Many different options really.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Dochartaigh wrote:
I use the ~$10 or so 5x BNC to VGA/DB15 dongle/adapter on my Corio2's. Run everything (through an Extron Crosspoint switch) from RGBHV/VGA, RGBS, RGsB, YPbPr into the Corio2 and it doesn't really care what that input signal is, it just works (then outputs whatever I tell it to on the output side through another one of those dongles into the Crosspoint – I mostly output RGBS but I've tried Component/YPbPr into consumer CRT's as well).

Further back in this thread there's a picture of an adapter cable I built for SCART sources - think you can buy them locally in the UK at RetroGamingCables.co.uk (pay attention to the direction - I think theirs can come with a switch now, but speaking overall a SCART to BNC cable is NOT wired the same as a BNC to SCART cable, fyi) - then you would just need a BNC to VGA. Some others probably build a straight 1-cable SCART to VGA (or VGA to SCART) if you look around. Many different options really.
Thanks; I've ordered the SCART to BNC cable, but still struggling with sourcing a BNC to VGA (I can't see anywhere selling one). I can see plenty of VGA to BNC; can I use gender changers on the BNC terminals (if direction isn't important on this step)?