Rolling Gunner: Side Scrolling Indie PC shmup 2017

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
banjoted

Re: Rolling Gunner: Side Scrolling Indie PC shmup 2017

Post by banjoted »

Klatrymadon wrote:If you email the store they might be able to sell you the installer and not bother with the disc. The game can definitely run without it. Worth a go!
Good call, will give it a shot. Cheers!
clippa

Post by clippa »

If they tell you to sling your hook, you can pick up a decent external usb dvd drive for around 10 - 20 quid nowadays. Might come in handy for other things.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

clippa wrote:If they tell you to sling your hook, you can pick up a decent external usb dvd drive for around 10 - 20 quid nowadays. Might come in handy for other things.
TBH I have a DVD drive laying around and there's nowt to stop me opening up the PC and quickly hooking it up. It's more just the principle - haven't needed it for years because, y'know, the modern world. Just release it digitally guys!
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I still don't understand how a 2D game can run this badly, either the slowdown is implemented in a fundamentally bad way or the code is an utter mess, Futari ultra arrange and the crazy Galuda 2 arrange mode ran without any slowdown on a 360 and this has issues on modern systems
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, it's bonkers. It seems like deliberate dips in framerate are being used to create an artificial slowdown effect, but that still doesn't explain why it's happening all over the place, or during entire boss fights, etc. If it is an issue with the fundamentals of the coding then it probably isn't likely to be fixed with a patch, eh...

Edit: got a very polite and helpful message back from the dev, but the long and short of it is that they haven't got a scooby. Have to try and wrest the Switch from my stepson now and then! :P
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

I don't quite get what the "Over Power" DLC adds to the game..apparently a new soundtrack? Anything else?
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Well it is finally for preorder at physicality games. Unlike Limited run or other such companies there is not a limited amount of copies but there is a minimum that has to be reached to launch the physical game which is not bad.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

okerlo wrote:I don't quite get what the "Over Power" DLC adds to the game..apparently a new soundtrack? Anything else?
It's a whole new gameplay mode/arrange. I recommend checking out the switch thread which has more info.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Some good news! I received another message from the dev today, a little while after sharing a video of the problems I was having, saying that they had prepared a patch to speed things up. It seems this is an official, public update:

https://twitter.com/rollinggunner/statu ... 45090?s=19

Gonna give it a try now! Hope it helps those of you who had similar issues. The DLC is patched too, so be sure to download it again. :)

Edit: I've only played up to stage 3 today, but the game seems to be running really well now. The framerate stayed between 60-59fps at all times, and the slowdown occurred at the times you would expect it to, instead of everywhere.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Wow, nice one, Klatry! It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

BurlyHeart wrote:I'm using integrated graphics on a Ryzen 2400g APU.

Sadly, even the menu is extremely sluggish. Seems unplayable unless I buy a dedicated gpu :cry:

Kinda surprised the game given I've had no issues with many other games.

EDIT: I'm talking about Overpower btw, the Vanilla version was playable despite some slowdown in places.
It seems to working smoothly now on my budget setup after the update. Very happy to finally play this!
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Just cleared Over Power mode ('original' difficulty) on the first mess-around. It's a fun but really silly mode, with lots of bullet cancelling going on. It's very similar to Deathsmiles' 360 arrange mode, where you use your familiar as a shield - the rolling gun itself gets an impassable aura around it, and you also have this 'buster shot' that charges very rapidly and cuts through every type of bullet. You can even play it as a twin-stick game, which I imagine would make things even easier since you could swing the rolling gun around independently of ship movement and pre-emptively block anything that came near you.

Since it's such a trivial clear I'm not sure what the real meat of it consists in. You can focus on driving up the rank as much as possible (it was quite low in this run due to frequent mistakes - extra shields are doled out regularly), but I don't think the rank affects medal value or anything. It's a nice little distraction, anyway, and the main game is incredible.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Yeah, playing with dual analogue sticks feels like cheat mode, I sacked that off pretty quickly.

Like you say, overpower is far easier. I think you're intentionally overpowered, hence the name, so regardless of your skill level, you can concentrate more on maxing out the scoring potential rather than worrying about making it to the finish.

Expert difficulty might be the way to go with this mode, though I haven't tried it yet.
It's fun, but yeah, they made it far too easy. Way too much bullet cancelling going on.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Got to trying the base game on PC with new patch. I had one instance of framerate dropping to 45. I brought up my task manager and it went away immediately. Maybe it will happen again. No issues besides that for 3 hours. It's an awesome game. The google maps city stage is just going to end up making me chuckle, the game kicks ass either way.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

So there's going to be a limited physical release of this for PS4 and Switch, but it's being handled by Strictly Limited Games, so be prepared to wait a while if you're interested.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nice, long hoped this would get a PS4 release.
G3n3raL86

Post by G3n3raL86 »

Hey people, resurrection of the thread since i got a question about Rolling Gunner: It was supposed to get a digital release by the end of 2021 on PS4, but i can't find the game on the store... Anyone knows what's going on?
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Well, the physical release from Strictly Limited was due last October and SHOCK HORROR has not yet arrived...
G3n3raL86

Post by G3n3raL86 »

banjoted wrote:Well, the physical release from Strictly Limited was due last October and SHOCK HORROR has not yet arrived...
So, the digital release is tied with the SLG release?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I don't know if the case of the digital is on japanese psn or not, sorry to say. I mean, it's 'digital' on pc and switch. If you don't mind a little piracy, you can post your digitally-achieved scores in my score thread and leave the grabsters in the dust. :mrgreen:
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

The PS4 version hasn't been released anywhere yet, not even in Japan. I actually can't tell if the Japanese publisher even announced a PS4 version.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

banjoted wrote:Well, the physical release from Strictly Limited was due last October and SHOCK HORROR has not yet arrived...
It's set to ship in May
https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/ma ... updates-2/
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... GGUNNERXUS

Out today on PS4/PS5!

edit: Happy to report it's running nicely in comparison to the PC/Switch versions. Put about 20 minutes into it before work, input lag feels about the same, visuals still have sort of a light blur to them but nothing terrible. Cut scenes are slightly crisper visually than the Switch. Overall feels like a solid port of an already great game.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

ATTRACTS wrote:https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... GGUNNERXUS

Out today on PS4/PS5!

edit: Happy to report it's running nicely in comparison to the PC/Switch versions. Put about 20 minutes into it before work, input lag feels about the same, visuals still have sort of a light blur to them but nothing terrible. Cut scenes are slightly crisper visually than the Switch. Overall feels like a solid port of an already great game.
Nice. Can you elaborate on what was wrong with the PC/Switch versions. The game runs perfectly in my potato PC and same with Switch. If input lag is about the same on PS5, than what are the improvements? Does the game still run at upscale 1280 x 720?
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Darkseed_5150 wrote:

Out today on PS4/PS5!

Nice. Can you elaborate on what was wrong with the PC/Switch versions. The game runs perfectly in my potato PC and same with Switch. If input lag is about the same on PS5, than what are the improvements? Does the game still run at upscale 1280 x 720?
Nothing was wrong, I was saying it runs fine in comparison, meaning there's nothing I can see that is worse or questionable. Yes, looks like it's still upscaled.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

ATTRACTS wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote:

Out today on PS4/PS5!

Nothing was wrong, I was saying it runs fine in comparison, meaning there's nothing I can see that is worse or questionable. Yes, looks like it's still upscaled.
Thanks! I misread your post and for a sec thought I missed something in the PC/Switch versions. Again, thanks.
G3n3raL86

Post by G3n3raL86 »

Is the "Overpowered" DLC bundled with the PS4/PS5 release?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The thumbnail on psn reads Rolling Gunner + Overpower.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Siontis

Post by Siontis »

I couldn't wait for my (shipped) SLG copy so I double dipped and downloaded it from PSN.
The game is top tier in everything except it's graphics, I don't know if the 720p resolution upscaled to 1080p is the reason or the awfull-low effort backgrounds and most of the sprites but
Rolling Gunner is the ugliest shmup I've ever played, Deathsmiles 2 looks gorgeous in comparison.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Siontis wrote:I couldn't wait for my (shipped) SLG copy so I double dipped and downloaded it from PSN.
The game is top tier in everything except it's graphics, I don't know if the 720p resolution upscaled to 1080p is the reason or the awfull-low effort backgrounds and most of the sprites but
Rolling Gunner is the ugliest shmup I've ever played, Deathsmiles 2 looks gorgeous in comparison.
Luckily the gameplay makes up for it.
Also, fire up Sol Cresta is you want to see the true champion of fug.