Looking to get my Neo Geo MVS working, have a few questions.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Josh128

Looking to get my Neo Geo MVS working, have a few questions.

Post by Josh128 »

Finally got my MV-1C board in from China and it seems to be in good physical condition. I would love to purchase of the console kits shown by Marmotta here for it, but he's still not selling them and I dont know when he will be, so Im looking at other options. I saw that they sell the cool looking Timeharvest MVS kit without the MVS board on Ali Express for $178+$39 shipping, so $210 but a really nice looking unit. Pretty steep, about $100 more than what Marmotta said his kit might cost I believe.

I also saw this "Arcade Supergun Essential Basic JAMMA MAK Retroelectronik -polyvalent gaming PCB" and its a very good price, but not really very console-like. Anybody know if this is a decent unit and will do the trick for me? Any other suggestions?

Also, whats the skinny on the MVS BIOS's? Should I expect my MVS will not play certain carts outside of its region? How do I tell what region BIOS I have? Finally, is the UNIBIOS something I need? How does one go about obtaining one?

Any other tips or things I should know about? Im a newb when it comes to JAMMA/ Arcade at home stuff.
maxtherabbit

Re: Looking to get my Neo Geo MVS working, have a few questi

Post by maxtherabbit »

Josh128 wrote:Finally got my MV-1C board in from China and it seems to be in good physical condition. I would love to purchase of the console kits shown by Marmotta here for it, but he's still not selling them and I dont know when he will be, so Im looking at other options. I saw that they sell the cool looking Timeharvest MVS kit without the MVS board on Ali Express for $178+$39 shipping, so $210 but a really nice looking unit. Pretty steep, about $100 more than what Marmotta said his kit might cost I believe.

I also saw this "Arcade Supergun Essential Basic JAMMA MAK Retroelectronik -polyvalent gaming PCB" and its a very good price, but not really very console-like. Anybody know if this is a decent unit and will do the trick for me? Any other suggestions?

Also, whats the skinny on the MVS BIOS's? Should I expect my MVS will not play certain carts outside of its region? How do I tell what region BIOS I have? Finally, is the UNIBIOS something I need? How does one go about obtaining one?

Any other tips or things I should know about? Im a newb when it comes to JAMMA/ Arcade at home stuff.
you don't need a BIOS swap unless you want the UniBIOS features, there are no region locks
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

It looks like the retroelectronic superguns have gotten a sleeker design. I had one of the older, squarish ones. Worked decently well, but introduced a noticeable amount of interference to the video. Support is non-existant as well.

I replaced the RE with a mak strike. A little bit pricier but still very affordable, and it has every feature i could ask for. Very good build quality and output quality.

http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Str ... e::74.html

The unibios can be purchased on a programmed chip (authorized sellers linked on razoola's site) or the file is downloadable (burn it yourself).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

NoAffinity wrote:It looks like the retroelectronic superguns have gotten a sleeker design. I had one of the older, squarish ones. Worked decently well, but introduced a noticeable amount of interference to the video. Support is non-existant as well.

I replaced the RE with a mak strike. A little bit pricier but still very affordable, and it has every feature i could ask for. Very good build quality and output quality.

http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Str ... e::74.html

The unibios can be purchased on a programmed chip (authorized sellers linked on razoola's site) or the file is downloadable (burn it yourself).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will look into it!
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

I went with this kit because it looks closer to a "console" than the previously mentioned French made superguns and its local to me (USA). That said, its going to be a "full assembly required" type of thing, lol.

I am very disappointed though. I really wanted one of Marmotta's kits, I have been trying to contact him to purchase one for the last week or so and have gotten no response from here or from his Ebay store. Now, I've got a much more involved project and the end result is if I ever decide to buy one of his kits Im going to be out an additional $60.

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Marmotta? I maybe still would want to purchase a kit from him if the price was right. I was one of the biggest supporters on his CMVS thread and to be given the cold shoulder sucks.
Kez

Post by Kez »

That's just how it is with hobby stuff like this, DIY kits being announced before launch etc. You can't always have it right now, and sometimes they just never materialise at all. Many people have ended up waiting years for stuff they have already paid for. Marmotta may have just decided all the drama is not worth it and backed out altogether. I doubt bombarding them on various platforms will get you a response any faster, I am sure they have seen your messages.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Kez wrote:That's just how it is with hobby stuff like this, DIY kits being announced before launch etc. You can't always have it right now, and sometimes they just never materialise at all. Many people have ended up waiting years for stuff they have already paid for. Marmotta may have just decided all the drama is not worth it and backed out altogether. I doubt bombarding them on various platforms will get you a response any faster, I am sure they have seen your messages.
I'd hardly call sending one message on Ebay, one PM here, and asking once on the thread he started here "bombarding" him with questions. Come on now. He stated in his thread he was aiming to start shipping units at the end of March. Well, its the end of March. I'm pretty sure he's not getting overloaded with multiple requests per day on this ultra niche product, if he no longer plans to sell the kit or whatever, fine, but thats not a good excuse to ignore a guaranteed customers question. Im not saying thats what he's doing, its very possible he just hasnt seen the messages yet-- but if he is purposely not responding, thats pretty shitty.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Josh128 wrote:Come on now.
Yeah fair enough I was a bit abrasive, sorry. Still there is a lot going on right now and we just entered full lockdown in the UK, people are losing their jobs, being separated from their family and friends for extended, indefinite periods. Maybe the CMVS project has fallen down their list of priorities a bit!
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Kez wrote:
Josh128 wrote:Come on now.
Yeah fair enough I was a bit abrasive, sorry. Still there is a lot going on right now and we just entered full lockdown in the UK, people are losing their jobs, being separated from their family and friends for extended, indefinite periods. Maybe the CMVS project has fallen down their list of priorities a bit!
Yeah you're right, I hadnt considered the covid-19 impact.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Well, in an odd twist of events, turns out the "Neo Jamma" Supergun kit I purchased comes from Marmotta's competitor JNX. :mrgreen:

It seems like a really cool, well thought out kit, but with every single component needing to be mounted and soldered onto the included PCB, theres going to be plenty of opportunities for me to screw it up. :lol:

I havent yet ordered a Neo BIOS Masta kit for a UniBIOS, but if I get this thing up and running in its vanilla form I'll likely try to put one in later. Too much cool shit to not go for it I think.

Ruprit

Post by Ruprit »

Last I heard, the ebay seller Neo Jamma is not JNX.

You can find examples of JNX's work here: https://www.instagram.com/jamma_nation_x/?hl=en
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Hmmm.... He's out of Chapel Hill North Carolina, I just assumed it was JNX as the guy sent a link to JNX's website for assembly instructions. Maybe not.

He's now selling a cheaper, less console-looking version for $39 USD that doesnt include the 3D printed shroud or the SCART connector. Still full assembly required but its not a bad deal at all IMO.
Ruprit

Post by Ruprit »

Josh128 wrote:Hmmm.... He's out of Chapel Hill North Carolina, I just assumed it was JNX as the guy sent a link to JNX's website for assembly instructions. Maybe not.

He's now selling a cheaper, less console-looking version for $39 USD that doesnt include the 3D printed shroud or the SCART connector. Still full assembly required but its not a bad deal at all IMO.
JNX is based in Hawaii.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you found a solution. Hope you enjoy your MVS!
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Well I completed the CMVS build, came out rather nice. Im still waiting on some power supply parts and connectors though, hopefully it works!

Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Got my 161 in 1 cart in yesterday (dont judge me! :oops: ) and was able to boot the CMVS successfully and at least see the game selection menu on my FD Wega! Fantastic looking picture, I just couldnt play any games or test the sound because my controllers have not come in yet from Japan. I was very relieved that the 4+ hours of work that I put in assembling the console were not in vain, lol.

Cant wait to crank up the volume and hear that sweet Samurai Shodown 2 music for the first time at home on a real Neo Geo! 8)
it290

Post by it290 »

Those carts are dangerous. Killed the PSU on my Omega MVS. Never again.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

it290 wrote:Those carts are dangerous. Killed the PSU on my Omega MVS. Never again.
Improper flash voltages? I have a 150-in-1 that I haven't tried yet...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Hmm odd. Im going to be using an external arcade power supply so Im less worried about burning it than I am the MVS itself. It booted up fine though so I guess we'll see.

Ideally I'd like to get a NeoSD but $400 price tag is a bit offputting. I'll have to take my chances with this and see how it goes for a while at least.

Bob, why havent you tried it yet?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Josh128 wrote:Hmm odd. Im going to be using an external arcade power supply so Im less worried about burning it than I am the MVS itself. It booted up fine though so I guess we'll see.

Ideally I'd like to get a NeoSD but $400 price tag is a bit offputting. I'll have to take my chances with this and see how it goes for a while at least.

Bob, why havent you tried it yet?
I ordered a Time Harvest CBox that isn't here yet :P

I can open mine and take a look at what it's using though.

EDIT: 5V vcc lines are connected to an AMS1117 voltage regulator right off the bad, board is machine soldered and looks competently made/designed... I'm certainly not an electrical engineer, but it's not screaming Chinese bootleg that will fry your console to me. I welcome any corrections of course.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
it290

Post by it290 »

All I know is I'm not the only one who's had issues (talking about the 161-in-1 in particular here, can't speak about others). For me it's not worth it to play the few games I'd want to play that I don't already own. Regular boots are safer IMO.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

it290 wrote:All I know is I'm not the only one who's had issues (talking about the 161-in-1 in particular here, can't speak about others). For me it's not worth it to play the few games I'd want to play that I don't already own. Regular boots are safer IMO.
I bought a 161-in-1 and it just straight up didn't work. Voltage translation issues notwithstanding, the QC on those carts is just horrible

Mine would boot to menu but just freeze when you picked a game, or boot a completely different game randomly.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
it290 wrote:All I know is I'm not the only one who's had issues (talking about the 161-in-1 in particular here, can't speak about others). For me it's not worth it to play the few games I'd want to play that I don't already own. Regular boots are safer IMO.
I bought a 161-in-1 and it just straight up didn't work. Voltage translation issues notwithstanding, the QC on those carts is just horrible

Mine would boot to menu but just freeze when you picked a game, or boot a completely different game randomly.
Well mine at least boots to menu. We'll see. So you were really not ever able to use it?

Has anyone opened it up and see what they are using for the ROM? Is it an EEPROM of some sort that could potentially be re-programmed?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Josh128 wrote:
Well mine at least boots to menu. We'll see. So you were really not ever able to use it?

Has anyone opened it up and see what they are using for the ROM? Is it an EEPROM of some sort that could potentially be re-programmed?

Yeah I got a refund from aliexpress, it's useless. All the flash memory inside is BGA chips soldered to some goofy ass adapter PCBs
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Josh128 wrote:

Yeah I got a refund from aliexpress, it's useless. All the flash memory inside is BGA chips soldered to some goofy ass adapter PCBs
So did you go with a NeoSD or something else?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Josh128 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
Josh128 wrote:

So did you go with a NeoSD or something else?
I'm just using real carts
it290

Post by it290 »

Josh128 wrote:Well mine at least boots to menu. We'll see. So you were really not ever able to use it?
I used it sporadically for over a year. They 'work' just fine, but I think it's crazy to trust these carts with expensive hardware like a consolized MVS. You've already invested so much in the system, why cheap out on the carts? Figure out what you like using emulation and then buy those games, I guarantee it'll be a much better long term investment.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Well, I agree with your premise, but the reality is I only have about $120 and about 4 or 5 hours of soldering invested in the CMVS itself. The NeoCD controllers coming from Japan cost me almost as much as the MV-1C board and NeoJamma Supergun kits combined. :shock:

I have just received a message from the controller seller saying the shipments are being held up due to COVID-19, so I ordered a Genesis/MD controller to Neo Geo DIY adapter kit from the same guy I got this kit from just I could try it.

Ideally I'd love to get a NeoSD MVS from Terraonion. While going for original carts sounds noble, somewhere along the way in the past few years MVS carts have lost their value proposition (compared to AES). Almost all the carts worth playing are >$150 USD nowadays, and many are WAY more than that. While I consider myself fortunate compared to some, Im not made of money, so thats a no-go for me my man. I do have an offer out on a Magician Lord cart on Ebay, but I seriously doubt it will be considered. They are asking ~$200 for that one.
Last edited by Josh128 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kez

Post by Kez »

There has been a lot of time and effort put into modding and improving the 161 in 1 carts, search for "GadgetUK 161 in 1" and you can find a bunch of YT videos and forum threads about it. Depends how deep you wanna go but if you're already doing a bit of DIY it's worth investigating.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Kez wrote:There has been a lot of time and effort put into modding and improving the 161 in 1 carts, search for "GadgetUK 161 in 1" and you can find a bunch of YT videos and forum threads about it. Depends how deep you wanna go but if you're already doing a bit of DIY it's worth investigating.

Awesome, will check it out.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

[quote]Well, I agree with your premise, but the reality is I only have about $120 and about 4 or 5 hours of soldering invested in the CMVS itself. The NeoCD controllers coming from Japan cost me almost as much as the MV-1C board and NeoJamma Supergun kits combined. :shock:

I have just received a message from the controller seller saying the shipments are being held up due to COVID-19, so I ordered a Genesis/MD controller to Neo Geo DIY adapter kit from the same guy I got this kit from just I could try it.

Ideally I'd love to get a NeoSD MVS from Terraonion. While going for original carts sounds noble, somewhere along the way in the past few years MVS carts have lost their value proposition (compared to AES). Almost all the carts worth playing are >$150 USD nowadays, and many are WAY more than that. While I consider myself fortunate compared to some, Im not made of money, so thats a no-go for me my man. I do have an offer out on a Magician Lord cart on Ebay, but I seriously doubt it will be considered. They are asking ~$200 for that one.[/quote]

You probably need to be a bit more patient. Or, splurge on a NeoSD if you'd prefer to have stuff right away.

I'm up to 11 games in a 2-3 week timespan of looking, and the most I've paid for a game was $140 for, well, Magician Lord. I got an original AES controller for $40. Deals can be found if you're patient.

What kinds of games are you looking for?

EDIT: Uh, am I crazy or are those quote tags correct??