A request for rare freeware shmups:

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
spaceveteran

A request for rare freeware shmups:

Post by spaceveteran »

Hello to all,

Sorry to take on your time, but I was wondering if some of you might have access to some of the freeware shmups from Weva. They seem to have disappeared from the net entirely:

http://weva.style.coocan.jp/

the forums has made passing mention of SOLL DEGA and I would also be interested to know if MELISSA could be found.

Should a lucky soul have them, could they please share them?

Many thanks.
Udderdude

Re: A request for rare freeware shmups:

Post by Udderdude »

Have you tried archive.org?
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

when I checked that site's archive there a few months back it didn't seem to have any downloads archived
spaceveteran

Post by spaceveteran »

Yes. Sadly nothing on that front. I managed to snag the new version of gstyle but nothing else.

Everything has been aggressively pulled off.

There are vids of soll dega floating around though...
Last edited by spaceveteran on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

The page is still being updated - have you tried finding a way to contact the admin to ask if he's willing to repost them?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
QuakedoomNukem

Post by QuakedoomNukem »

One guy was able to upload the 'new' version of G-STYLE, which had more of an original look, instead of being a Gradius/R-Type game (which is on Gradius Home World).
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8vgnhwyks ... n.zip/file

However, I cannot launch it at all, it always spits out an error message with DirectDraw, even with various changes to compatibility and such. Also, it has no music. There apparently was a CD version, which had music, but that's only a hearsay, Marirsa100 edited the music in, when they uploaded the complete playthrough of it, which is where the link originated from.
spaceveteran

Post by spaceveteran »

Sadly couldn’t find any contact info. Also, my Knowledge of Japanese is inexistant.
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

QuakedoomNukem wrote:One guy was able to upload the 'new' version of G-STYLE, which had more of an original look, instead of being a Gradius/R-Type game (which is on Gradius Home World).
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8vgnhwyks ... n.zip/file

However, I cannot launch it at all, it always spits out an error message with DirectDraw, even with various changes to compatibility and such. Also, it has no music. There apparently was a CD version, which had music, but that's only a hearsay, Marirsa100 edited the music in, when they uploaded the complete playthrough of it, which is where the link originated from.
So I spent some time figuring out how to get this running, just for fun I guess. lol.

And I got it working on my Windows 10 PC! You need to run it through this program: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

And run the program as administrator. It's actually a really neat program that should be helpful for all sorts of old windows games. Tons of settings to play with.
spaceveteran

Post by spaceveteran »

Throwing a rock in the ocean here but might anyone know how to contact the author?
QuakedoomNukem

Post by QuakedoomNukem »

DxWnd doesn't work at all for me, it still spits out the error message. And yes, I am still using Win7, because I don't have my new PC that long and I won't update to Win10.
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

QuakedoomNukem wrote:DxWnd doesn't work at all for me, it still spits out the error message. And yes, I am still using Win7, because I don't have my new PC that long and I won't update to Win10.
That's the error I'd get before messing with DxWnd. Did you try different setting? Like manual dx 1-6, window and resolution settings, etc... I would guess it should be possible to get working using the tool.
spaceveteran

Post by spaceveteran »

I can’t test this game sadly.

To anyone who have, might you have come across any author contact info?
spaceveteran

Post by spaceveteran »

In case of interest, noticed there are videos of Soll Dega here:

https://sp.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4621293

Sadly, I can’t read Japanese. Might anyone know if it’s possible to get in touch with the guy who took the footage?

Also, should people try G-style and come upon an email address, could he please post it here? this way I might try to contact the author.
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

spaceveteran wrote:Sadly, I can’t read Japanese.
Pro tip: the google translate app is basically magic these days and can translate through your phone camera. Not wonderful translations but good enough to get the gist of what's being said. The text on top in the video were mostly dumb jokes, and the ingame text was (obviously) the background narrative.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Should be noted that the website has a bunch of "distribution of this game has ended"-type notices. Old sites going down is one thing, but this is very different... it sounds like those artists who delete all their existing art and start from scratch for some reason.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
spaceveteran

Post by spaceveteran »

which is a huge problem when it comes to preserve original works. Then again I recall others in comments saying that he was aiming to post those games for download again, just that after all these years he still didn't.

And naturally the internet archive came up with zilch.

Jedinat: I don't know that video platform well, but there seems to be no private messaging functions. Bummer

Incidentally he's very recently active on his blog (http://weva.cocolog-nifty.com/), but i still can't find any contact info though.