Castlevania Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Castlevania Miscellanies

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Holy water and triple shot and i actually.. lost to death :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
WHO DOES THAT!?
I've managed it, several times. :lol: Typically buggering the timing with an early start so he manages to tiger knee me out of the corner as hilarity ensues. I actually prefer x3 Cross in casual runs, though I'm gonna probably resort to x3 HW if I ever resume that VS Castlevania 2-ALL 1LC (aka DORAKYURA MUST DIE). Made it to HITO NO NOROI on a semi-serious attempt, remembered I was in a two-hit fight, then promptly shat myself and died. Image

By total coincidence I just got a new monitor for my PS4, and was testing its response time with Arcade Archives VSC, which handles so goddamn sharp as to be indistinguishable from the Famicom cartridge on a CRT. Managed to forget the catacomb Holy Water and thought "NAWWW" then a fishman dropped an axe, which I know from bitter experience can ruin Creature (wasted all that time getting a x3 Axe for a "cinematic" showdown Image). Got a pretty neat match out of it:

IMMA KILL YOU FRANKIE (O`W´O) MONKEY-BUGGERING FUCK FENCE

Wasn't too fussed about the hit taken, I knew if I could get Igor caught in the arc on his return it'd squash 'em both. What a cracking fight. I know Death and Dracula mk1's movement is RNG, but I've never bothered figuring out if these guys are static. Offhand, I'd assume Igor is manipulable just like regular Fleamen, while Frankie is random. Could easily be wrong though.

Knife actually isn't too bad in that fight either, since you can tag Frankie from across the screen at leisure, quite possibly stunlocking Igor in the crossfire.
few days later I fired up CV3 for a grand old time streaming to a buddy.
Jesus that Doppelganger in a casual playthrough when you're not up to 1cc standard. Fuck that thing!!
It can really ruin a man's day, you know? :x
You know about the character switch exploit, right? (assuming you weren't on a single-character run, or manfully avoiding its use :oops:)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I think i just didn't wanna try it because it's longggg. and i can't remember exactly how it works.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yeah, that exploit makes the fight seem to go on for 5 minutes. It was the only way I figured out how to beat the game 8 or so years ago... That and abusing Sypha's magnificent Thunder spell to eviscerate Death.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Jesus i take back what i used to say about liking SCV4

Maybe i can blame the tail end of this flu but man after playing CV3 yesterday this game fucking blows.
I'm looking at you, stg8 dungeon section with your absurdly long and boring checkpoint.
it290

Post by it290 »

Loving the title on that Frankie video, BIL. :lol:
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BIL

Post by BIL »

:mrgreen:
Austin

Post by Austin »

BIL wrote:By total coincidence I just got a new monitor for my PS4, and was testing its response time with Arcade Archives VSC, which handles so goddamn sharp as to be indistinguishable from the Famicom cartridge on a CRT.
Yeah man, I was really impressed with how responsive the AA version is. I didn't use a wireless PS4 controller, but with my Hori stick it felt super sharp. Input delay feels non-existent on my monitor.
it290

Post by it290 »

Purely coincidentally, I was doing a playthrough of CV1 last night and as I turned to answer I question I stupidly picked up an Axe on the eagle bit just before Frankie, so was also forced to face him with double axe. Managed to squeeze through, but I have to say I might actually find this fight a little easier with the dagger—easier to pelt Frankie with for chip damage if you need to dodge away from him, and almost as effective at keeping Igor stunned. Either situation is really mostly about fast and furious whipping, making sure you don't commit to one whip too many when a fireball or Igor is inbound. Maybe the most Dark Souls of all CV1 bosses. :)
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

blackoak wrote:let's see if this can summon BIL back, hehe...

http://shmuplations.com/castlevania/
(castlevania 1-3 commentary from director Hitoshi Akamatsu)
I asked Akamatsu what he thought about Chi no Rondo when it came out. He said, “I haven’t played it.” (laughs) At the time he was more interested in how one would go about making a game like Final Fantasy VII, rather than Castlevania, which was in the past. (laughs)
I have to wonder if Masami-san got Chi no Rondo mixed-up with Gekka no Yasōkyoku here, since they're both part of the Dracula X sub-series. Akamatsu was actually still with Konami when Chi no Rondo was being made even though he wasn't directly involved with the game, so he must have had some inside awareness of the game. Plus Gekka no Yasōkyoku actually came out around the same time period as Final Fantasy VII, while Chi no Rondo was old news by that point.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

So my Casualvania re-visit has continued with Chronicles, Arrange mode.

Now.. this is the easiest version of the game right? Because I just blundered through, like.. She Wolf went down in two attempts and I really feel like I didn't earn it. :lol:

Also whattt, the closing FMV with the crumbling castle has no business being better than SoTN's :lol: :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

PS1 Arrange is pretty babby-proofed, yep. ;3 Original mode's damage scale makes She-Wolf and her preceding stage quite tough. You'll most likely become very familiar with that boss checkpoint before taking her down. I sure did when I was revisiting last summer!

No loops in Arrange, either. Beating the first simply unlocks the mildly amusing Time Attack mode. IIRC, Arrange's max difficulty introduces a bit of Original's loop changes, albeit without its cruel damage scale. Not the worst thing, really.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Well it's nice for my casual re-visit. Even if the sprites are a bit dodgey imo and it's hard to judge jumps.
Can't remember if OG was like that.

I did beat the 68k version a few years back and that was hell. Amazing hell.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oof. I'm here to take shots at everyone's darling: Bloodlines.

Coming back after a couple of years to play as Morris kinda sucks! I said it!
I have no idea what the strong whip attack is for. Sometimes it hits twice, sometimes it doesn't?
I don't know if there's any point in using it against bosses or if just spamming whip like a regular classicvania is the better option.
The one utility i've found is its lingering hitbox if I've whipped too early.

Some hitboxes like those of the flying bones or medusa heads seem a bit too big.
Also a rather infuriating death happened in the factory, the swinging dick (mace) skeletons take 3 hits of the whip to go down, but on two occasions I took a hit because my 3rd hit wouldn't land. I don't know if that's Iframes or if their hitbox moves back ever so slightly when their swinging animation resets.
BIL

Post by BIL »

On the efficacy of light/heavy attacks Image

More of a finesse mechanic to tag on once you've mastered basic enemy behaviours/patterns. Basically, "meaty" normal enemies can be hitstunned by a heavy attack. What is a meaty enemy? Anything that takes more than one hit, and ISN'T A SKEELTEN Image Minotaurs, Axe Armours, Beholders and Ghosts are all meaty.

Burinju wrote:Also a rather infuriating death happened in the factory, the swinging dick (mace) skeletons take 3 hits of the whip to go down, but on two occasions I took a hit because my 3rd hit wouldn't land. I don't know if that's Iframes or if their hitbox moves back ever so slightly when their swinging animation resets.
He was in hitflash, I imagine - witness the fitness of light attacks timed to land as the foe recovers. (`ω´メ)

The hitboxes on Medusas, Bats, and some enemy projectiles (Mummies' slow-moving wraps) are quite unforgiving, yep. Often better to destroy than dodge those, unless you've got a clear vertical advantage.

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I think the absolute toughest "combo" you can do with light/heavy attacks is stunlocking and killing the heavy armors in vesailles (specifically, the ones in the hallway before the pillar illusion midboss) before they do their first attack. Really tight timing on that, but mega satisfying to pull off.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Also, I think I've borrowed this GIF from you even more than the Sheena v Doctor Crab one :cool:

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Was gonna mention that too ^_^
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Is it just me, or is this light/heavy dichotomy not common knowledge? It isn't mentioned in the US manual.

Things like this have me wanting to liken Vampire Killer to TNWA - a relatively accessible clear with a high skill ceiling that lends itself to a good deal of experimentation and optimization.

I wonder whether Eric spinning his lance to use it as a shield was inspired at all by Monster World III? You can do something similar when Shion is wielding a spear, though the input is different.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Just had another go, this time actually thinking of the game as a 1cc attempt rather than casual play.
Did a lot better. got my shit pushed in in Versailles. Kinda thing that happens there I'm sure.

Yeah the heavy attacks start working early stage 2 actually, dem big minotaur fuckers.

My real bugbear now is the pillarmen boss in Versailles. how the ever loving fuck is morris supposed to deal with that, unless you arrive on full health.
Seems like a case of have the right subweapon or get fucked.

Extra lives in Versailles? I have noticed NO MEAT
BIL

Post by BIL »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Is it just me, or is this light/heavy dichotomy not common knowledge? It isn't mentioned in the US manual.
Interesting... I'm not near my JP manual, and I wouldn't be able to read it regardless, but I wonder if it's in there. I recall a similar question over Ex-Ranza's superjump, which you actually can't finish its max difficulty without.
Things like this have me wanting to liken Vampire Killer to TNWA - a relatively accessible clear with a high skill ceiling that lends itself to a good deal of experimentation and optimization.
I like to file VK under the same "assault course" subgenre as Super Shinobi and Alien Soldier. Generous from a survival perspective, punishing from a performance one... and since better performance means not simply grades, but massively bigger guns for demolishing stages, all three evolve into high-intensity 1HKO affairs even if all you want to do is wreak havoc. All three have masses of meaty targets, great explosions, and shredding weapons for the causing of. I like this stuff a lot!

Stuff like Solbrain/Shatterhand (where adept players can also curbstomp bosses with a vengeance) is subtly different - you'll lose your guns for sloppy play there, but the pace is nearer CV1 methodical than Nakazato blitzkrieg.
Blinge wrote:Just had another go, this time actually thinking of the game as a 1cc attempt rather than casual play.
Did a lot better. got my shit pushed in in Versailles. Kinda thing that happens there I'm sure.
Exactly how to best appreciate VK/Bloodlines! It really brings out the endurance aspect of its long, action-packed and not very wallmeaty stages. Also you only get two continues anyway IIRC. ;3
My real bugbear now is the pillarmen boss in Versailles. how the ever loving fuck is morris supposed to deal with that, unless you arrive on full health.
Seems like a case of have the right subweapon or get fucked.
What version/difficulty are you on? Vampire Killer Expert gets two blue balls a shot, Bloodlines Expert gets three for a marginally trickier fight. Either way, a good tack is to use John's neutral jumping vertical when the Pillar's shots are moving upwards, preferably at launch. Try to have them "run into" a heavy strike. If they're descending and you have the space, try a neutral heavy - but be ready to give them a wide berth, letting them ricochet off the floor.

Don't be underneath them unless you've got an Axe. It works great here, as elsewhere, letting you attack directly overhead while crouching. Boomerang and Holy Water's EX attacks are nowhere as precise, but they can improvise in a pinch. In experienced hands, Pillar is no great crisis even with the other subweapons or none at all, but it's certainly John's trickiest miniboss (just like Versailles is the most grueling survival stretch... outside of Bloodlines Expert's entirely meatless final stage, at least). I really like Pillar dude, definitely the midboss highlight of JoMo's Bizarre Adventure.

Well, him and doggo-kun. A lot are punching bags - but the good sort, stuffed with dynamite and ready to punctuate a tricky stage section in a POW-driven boss explosion.
Extra lives in Versailles? I have noticed NO MEAT
IIRC, there's a 1UP in the lower half of the spiral pillar (where John arrives). Wallmeat in the wine cellar. You can also gamble on the masked bombers throwing you some, but I don't recommend it, their pincer game is surprisingly strong. :wink: Game's best source of 1UPs is Germany, easy one in the ceiling (first factory room), and a much more dangerous one that only John can attempt across the pit next door (might as well go for it, the first will cancel out the loss if you fall).
Last edited by BIL on Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ah i wondered about that. is it in the wall?
I don't even know how to get to it..
Unless you swing under the conveyor belts?
BIL

Post by BIL »

The second Germany 1UP? Yep - or you can fall off the last conveyor, catching the ceiling on the way down, then make your way back across.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Will try.

Eric 4 lyf.
OL' BIRRU wrote:Wallmeat in the wine cellar.
wuh. is there? the place with all the bawmbs?
Found it. left wall.

Wouldn't recommend the 1-up on the stairs. don't even know if i believe it. I hit every candle. but trying to take out them bone pillars is asking for death.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hmm. I wonder if it's Eric's route (descending from the palace roof) that gets the 1UP, then. Perhaps that's to even out John's exclusive one in Germany. Been a while since I played as him. TBH I only ever get the ones in stage 3 and 6, cos they're directly in your path and they make a neat sound effect. :cool:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Makes sense.
hah! you audiosluttt

Another amusing thing.. that bone pillar pillar in Versailles actually fucks me up when i play John.
Imagine actually having to time the whip.

go back to CV1, scrub.
This post brought to you by Konami krew gang
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

whew. holy hell, i just got a falsificare 1cc with John.

- re-loaded Versailles twice when i kept picking up the boomerang by mistake at the beginning, wondering whether i'd get another axe.. until i got bored and kept playing with the 'rang. Turns out there's at least one moar axe.

- Also i loaded state a buncha times to practice getting that second 1up in Germany.

So i think i have the skillz to beat the game w/ John, just need to do it under real pressure.

I'll have to record a full legit clear soon.
I understand the game a lot better now. I wasn't being anywhere near aggressive enough, playing reactionary won't help you much. It's the Bloodborne of Classicvania. No wonder Squire likes it so much :lol:
Stunlocking the big dudes with strong attacks, slapping Bartley around before she can do anything, Jump-whipping Drac before he can even attack. Bullying final drac and princess of moss (lol) into a corner so they can't hurt you as easily.
John's upwards attacks annihilate drac's wizard form!
BIL

Post by BIL »

AYKSHUALLY Image that's Batori's sidekick Drolta Tzuentes. :wink:

Sega of America stiffed residents of Burgerland (like ME Image) with shitty b&w manuals missing shittons of Japanese artwork, Bloodlines being no exception. So Drolta was reduced to a footnote in the story text, and everyone assumed her boss battle was another non-sequitur transformation in the style of Castlevania III. I know I did!
Last edited by BIL on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

WHAT!!!!!!

wait so the second form is this wizard beyotch.
what about the 3rd. is that her too ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

I should note it's never officially stated either way, but I'm pretty comfy assuming the penultimate enemy is Drolta, and the last is Hitoshi Akamatsu's dread transcendant HITO NO NOROI. Or the traditional monster form Dracula assumes when PLAYTIME is OVER, as became SOP after CV1. Either way it's a final showdown with an immense evil power, on the borderline of its realm and humanity's.
Like most people, I thought that was just a powered-up monster form of Dracula, and I joked as much in front of Akamatsu one day. He completely refuted that idea though. (laughs) “That is a monster borne from the curse of man.” He added, “In a truly peaceful age, Dracula would not exist.”
Given the choice of

A) "The heroes destroy the reincarnated Dracula and banish him to his dark netherworld, exactly as the opening crawl said they would. Dracula's last surviving ally stages an ambush, culminating in a dimension-reaving suicide attack and the vampire's final attempt to claw free of his prison."

or

B) "Dracula's buff chad form gets violently exploded, so he gets smol and dons a wizard robe & staff and does some magic, before you blow that up too, and then he gets really big while making the background freak out with his power level."

I don't think it's a reach, and it's a more climactic and comprehensive visual narrative besides. I like me some vintage action gaming ellipsis. Image An evil magician is at the heart of the conspiracy to reincarnate Dracula, and come the final battle - holy fuck! An evil magician! :o

You could even get all artsy and contrast Drolta's fanatical sacrifice with the selflessness of lovable QUINCY :O DONT DO THIS THOUGH, THEYLL ALL LAUGH AT YOU :shock:

Basically what I'm saying is,

DROLTA WUZ ROBBED ;-;7 (and so was Burgerland! Image)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

lol fuck ye just did it legit boiii.
6 lives remaining too.. replay to come.