gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote:Do I have to reflow the undermounted solder?
No, that is not needed, it would be enough just to solder 4 corner pads for support. Align the connector as good as you can, solder one corner, then solder 5 contacts (only two are needed but anyways) and solder the rest of the pads.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
No, that is not needed, it would be enough just to solder 4 corner pads for support. Align the connector as good as you can, solder one corner, then solder 5 contacts (only two are needed but anyways) and solder the rest of the pads.
Ah, good news, I'll try tomorrow!
smallking

Post by smallking »

superg wrote:
the Goat wrote:
smallking wrote:My CRT has no mods . . .
TV's with factory RGB SCART inputs often require certain voltages on pins 8 & 16 to properly command RGB mode. Not all modern SCART cables and switches provide the correct voltages on those pins because PVMs, BVMs, XRGB minis, OSSCs, etc. don't care about them. Perhaps that is related to your issue?
gscartsw doesn't forward pin 8 and pin 16 but rather forces those pins to always be 4:3 RGB.

Honestly don't know what to say about that TV problem. It does look like something is wrong with the TV but to know what exactly requires further measuring and I don't think it worth the trouble.
Out of curiosity, precisely what voltages are being sent from the gscartsw pins 8 and 16?
TheJeffChen

Post by TheJeffChen »

Hi again, superg. I have an MSX2 here outputting CSync at 1.8Vpp. What kind of attenuation do I need on the sync line to make it work with the gscartsw?

Thanks.

Edit: Oh it looks like it should just work without adding anything. Thanks anyway.
Last edited by TheJeffChen on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superg

Post by superg »

TheJeffChen wrote:Hi again, superg. I have an MSX2 here outputting CSync at 1.8Vpp. What kind of attenuation do I need on the sync line to make it work with the gscartsw?

Thanks.
If you're absolutely sure it's no more than 2V you can connect it as is, lowest multiplexer range is -2.5..2.5V.
TheJeffChen

Post by TheJeffChen »

superg wrote:
TheJeffChen wrote:Hi again, superg. I have an MSX2 here outputting CSync at 1.8Vpp. What kind of attenuation do I need on the sync line to make it work with the gscartsw?

Thanks.
If you're absolutely sure it's no more than 2V you can connect it as is, lowest multiplexer range is -2.5..2.5V.
Thanks for the quick reply! Just have to make sure so I don't destroy the precious switch :D
RosscoBaby

Post by RosscoBaby »

Hi, I've had my gscartsw since December at its been bloody brilliant. Set it up behind the TV and I never had to do anything with it.

However, I've recently picked up a PC Engine from ebay that was pre modded with a THS7314 Amp RGB mod. It works perfectly straight into the TV and into the ossc.

I cant for the life of me get it to work via the gscartsw. I've even bought a "PC Engine duo TurboGrafx-16 PACKAPUNCH PRO RGB SCART cable" from retrogamingcables. Could I please get some advice on what I can do?

thank you.
superg

Post by superg »

RosscoBaby wrote:Hi, I've had my gscartsw since December at its been bloody brilliant. Set it up behind the TV and I never had to do anything with it.

However, I've recently picked up a PC Engine from ebay that was pre modded with a THS7314 Amp RGB mod. It works perfectly straight into the TV and into the ossc.

I cant for the life of me get it to work via the gscartsw. I've even bought a "PC Engine duo TurboGrafx-16 PACKAPUNCH PRO RGB SCART cable" from retrogamingcables. Could I please get some advice on what I can do?

thank you.
PC Engine mods aren't very compliant, can't help with this much, maybe somebody here can help. One thing for sure is that dbBooster works fine.
RosscoBaby

Post by RosscoBaby »

thank you. I've ordered a db GrafxBooster so that should solve all my problems.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

RosscoBaby wrote:thank you. I've ordered a db GrafxBooster so that should solve all my problems.
It is a bad idea to use RGB video from the expansion port without removing the internal mod.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote:
RosscoBaby wrote:thank you. I've ordered a db GrafxBooster so that should solve all my problems.
It is a bad idea to use RGB video from the expansion port without removing the internal mod.
Oh for sure, that was implied.
jymotion

Post by jymotion »

Hey, first post here, sorry if I violate any etiquette. Unfortunately, I'm having some issues with my gcompsw's picture quality (v1.1, 4 inputs). I've uploaded a couple videos to Youtube, and despite YT butchering the video quality, it should still be apparent.

Wii > OSSC > Denon AVRX3400H Receiver > BenQ RL2460HT monitor w/ HDMI passthrough > Datapath VisionRGB-E2S: https://youtu.be/bq42wr7jMiE

Wii > gcompsw v1.1 > OSSC > Denon AVRX3400H Receiver > BenQ RL2460HT monitor w/ HDMI passthrough > Datapath VisionRGB-E2S: https://youtu.be/bPaxZl9bCyA

If it's not obvious, the issue is that lines of distortion/discoloration randomly appear and often look like they're "sweeping" down the screen.

It's worth mentioning that my last home was damaged in a storm and I've had to move. My gcompsw was not situated in an area of the home that was damaged, so I wouldn't have expected it to be affected, but I want to be transparent about the possibility of humidity, wear & tear from moving, etc. Thanks.
Last edited by jymotion on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luk360

Post by luk360 »

How can i get in contact with superg for a repair for my gscartsw?

- Lukas
luk360

Post by luk360 »

how can i get in contact with superg for a repair on my gscartsw?

- Lukas
ProximaV

Post by ProximaV »

I received the gcompsw today in Canada. Plugged everything in and it is working really great

NES (Component) with Tim NESRGB board
Genesis with HD retrovision
SNES jr with HD retrovision
and PS2 with component cable

I will mostly by leaving the switch on all the time

Just wondering what is the best way to turn off unit.

There is no ON/OFF button right?

The safest is it to remove micro Usb or unplug from the wall?

One last question: is the equipement handle to withstand a power surge or should be plug in a power bar with surge protection?
Last edited by ProximaV on Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett_D92

Post by Brett_D92 »

Just ordered the gcompsw for when the next batch is up. I usually just lurk on here but I assume there'd be an email confirmation with tracking when it's sent off?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
The leads on the connector snapped off, so this was the best repair I could make.
https://imgur.com/OlATv3T
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote: The leads on the connector snapped off, so this was the best repair I could make.
https://imgur.com/OlATv3T
Doesn't look very appealing but if that works and you're ok with it I guess it's good.
ProximaV

Post by ProximaV »

Hey SuperG, do you have a minute to look at my post (about 1 or 2 post up) i want to make sure i use my gcompsw correctly?

thank you :)
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

Hello @superg, is there any incompatibility between the gscartsw and the gscompsw( through retrotink COMP2RGB)?

I read in another thread one user was having problems with this setup but it seems that he is using an older version of gscartsw. Somehow some of his consoles were failing to sync when the gscompsw was in the chain.

I'm asking this because I pre-ordered a gscartsw and will have a very similar setup.
superg

Post by superg »

jymotion wrote:Hey, first post here, sorry if I violate any etiquette. Unfortunately, I'm having some issues with my gcompsw's picture quality (v1.1, 4 inputs). I've uploaded a couple videos to Youtube, and despite YT butchering the video quality, it should still be apparent.

Wii > OSSC > Denon AVRX3400H Receiver > BenQ RL2460HT monitor w/ HDMI passthrough > Datapath VisionRGB-E2S: https://youtu.be/bq42wr7jMiE

Wii > gcompsw v1.1 > OSSC > Denon AVRX3400H Receiver > BenQ RL2460HT monitor w/ HDMI passthrough > Datapath VisionRGB-E2S: https://youtu.be/bPaxZl9bCyA

If it's not obvious, the issue is that lines of distortion/discoloration randomly appear and often look like they're "sweeping" down the screen.

It's worth mentioning that my last home was damaged in a storm and I've had to move. My gcompsw was not situated in an area of the home that was damaged, so I wouldn't have expected it to be affected, but I want to be transparent about the possibility of humidity, wear & tear from moving, etc. Thanks.
So this didn't happen before, right?
You have way too many devices in the chain to troubleshoot stuff. Can you connect console->gcompsw->OSSC->TV? Did you try console->OSSC->TV and does that work (excluding the switch)?
luk360 wrote:How can i get in contact with superg for a repair for my gscartsw?

- Lukas
PM me although I don't guarantee a repair. Describe the problem.
ProximaV wrote:I received the gcompsw today in Canada. Plugged everything in and it is working really great

NES (Component) with Tim NESRGB board
Genesis with HD retrovision
SNES jr with HD retrovision
and PS2 with component cable

I will mostly by leaving the switch on all the time

Just wondering what is the best way to turn off unit.

There is no ON/OFF button right?

The safest is it to remove micro Usb or unplug from the wall?

One last question: is the equipement handle to withstand a power surge or should be plug in a power bar with surge protection?
The switch was designed to be always on, you're correct that there is no ON/OFF button. I keep mine on. If you're concerned about this you can unplug it though. Not sure that surge protection will help.
Brett_D92 wrote:Just ordered the gcompsw for when the next batch is up. I usually just lurk on here but I assume there'd be an email confirmation with tracking when it's sent off?
Yes, once I print a shipping label paypal automatically sends a shipping notification with tracking.
snowekim wrote:Hello @superg, is there any incompatibility between the gscartsw and the gscompsw( through retrotink COMP2RGB)?
I read in another thread one user was having problems with this setup but it seems that he is using an older version of gscartsw. Somehow some of his consoles were failing to sync when the gscompsw was in the chain.
I'm asking this because I pre-ordered a gscartsw and will have a very similar setup.
I don't think there is any incompatibility. There is a small issue where TV was showing some garbage with no console turned on but that is safe to ignore (and why would you keep your TV on with no consoles ON? :)).
jymotion

Post by jymotion »

superg wrote:You have way too many devices in the chain to troubleshoot stuff.
Sorry about that. I've gone ahead and tested more directly, using different cables, different gcompsw inputs, different consoles to ensure those aren't the problem:

Console > OSSC v1.6 > TV (TCL 49S517) ... Good
Console > gcompsw v1.1 > OSSC v1.6 > TV (TCL 49S517) ... Bad

Console > OSSC v1.6 > Capture Card (Datapath VisionRGB E2S) ... Good
Console > gcompsw v1.1 > OSSC v1.6 > Capture Card (Datapath VisionRGB E2S) ... Bad

However...
Console > gcompsw v1.1 > CRT (BVM D24E1WU) ... Good
Console > gcompsw v1.1 > PC monitor w/ component input (Dell 2407WFP) ... Good

Just based on this, it seems like the issue might be the combination of the switch & the OSSC. I've updated to the latest firmware, but no improvement. I've ordered an adapter to connect the gcompsw directly to my capture card to see how that goes. Unfortunately, my TV only has HDMI inputs.
superg wrote:So this didn't happen before, right?
Unfortunately, the above info complicates things. My setup at my old place was:
Console > gcompsw v1.1 > CRT (BVM D24E1WU) > OSSC v1.6 (via the BVM's passthrough) > Capture Card (Datapath VisionRGB E1S)

With that setup, it looked fine on my CRT and bad in my capture. I assumed the issue was with the pre-owned capture card, so I bought a different one. I sold the old one "for parts or repair" on eBay and the buyer told me it worked perfectly fine for him. I'm realizing now that this gcompsw+OSSC issue was probably always present - it just wasn't obvious in my old setup.
superg

Post by superg »

jymotion wrote: With that setup, it looked fine on my CRT and bad in my capture. I assumed the issue was with the pre-owned capture card, so I bought a different one. I sold the old one "for parts or repair" on eBay and the buyer told me it worked perfectly fine for him. I'm realizing now that this gcompsw+OSSC issue was probably always present - it just wasn't obvious in my old setup.
Doesn't look like the switch issue and this is good news as otherwise I wouldn't be able to repair older 4-port gcompsw, parts are end of life and there is one IC which does most of the things.
Very likely the cable going from gcompsw to OSSC is at fault. Get a nice shielded cable from hdretrovision. OSSC issue is unlikely, at least I've never seen an issue with it.
jymotion

Post by jymotion »

superg wrote:Very likely the cable going from gcompsw to OSSC is at fault. Get a nice shielded cable from hdretrovision.
Like I mentioned, I tested multiple cables to confirm that wasn't the problem. I just tried 4 different sets of heavy Monster component cables as well as a "fully shielded" Monoprice set and they all gave the same results from two different consoles. I'd rather not spend another $20 when I have a bin full of cables I don't use.

Any other ideas for how I can pin down exactly what the problem is?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

jymotion wrote:Any other ideas for how I can pin down exactly what the problem is?
Use an oscilloscope?
-the Goat
superg

Post by superg »

jymotion wrote:
superg wrote:Very likely the cable going from gcompsw to OSSC is at fault. Get a nice shielded cable from hdretrovision.
Like I mentioned, I tested multiple cables to confirm that wasn't the problem. I just tried 4 different sets of heavy Monster component cables as well as a "fully shielded" Monoprice set and they all gave the same results from two different consoles. I'd rather not spend another $20 when I have a bin full of cables I don't use.

Any other ideas for how I can pin down exactly what the problem is?
I missed that you tried other cables. If it's not the cable what is left is OSSC :/. Switch works ok with CRT and component monitor so I want to say that switch is probably fine. Do you have multimeter to try OSSC power supply voltage? Any way to test with different OSSC or other upscaler?
jymotion

Post by jymotion »

superg wrote:Switch works ok with CRT and component monitor so I want to say that switch is probably fine. Do you have multimeter to try OSSC power supply voltage? Any way to test with different OSSC or other upscaler?
I do. 4.99V for the OSSC power supply and 9.23V for the gcompsw power supply. Both seem to be within spec. Unfortunately, I don't have additional upscalers.

The switch works fine in two setups without the OSSC (crt, comp monitor), but the OSSC works fine in two setups without the switch (TV, cap card). It'll likely be a week before I can send the switch directly to the capture card, which will be the first time I have a constant display for all scenarios. I can check back in at that time. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
superg

Post by superg »

jymotion wrote: I do. 4.99V for the OSSC power supply and 9.23V for the gcompsw power supply. Both seem to be within spec. Unfortunately, I don't have additional upscalers.

The switch works fine in two setups without the OSSC (crt, comp monitor), but the OSSC works fine in two setups without the switch (TV, cap card). It'll likely be a week before I can send the switch directly to the capture card, which will be the first time I have a constant display for all scenarios. I can check back in at that time. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Yeah, the voltage is good. More troubleshooting will require the scope. Definitely something is going on but there shouldn't be an incompatibility with OSSC as I this is a common switch users setup and I always used OSSC here for testing the switches.
hyne

Post by hyne »

I have a question regarding my old (but still AWESOME) gscartsw_lite:

For my OG Xbox, I just purchased a SCART cable that is wired for YPbPr from: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/xbo ... n-Conveter

After softmodding my PAL Xbox to enable progressive output, the cable works great if I plug it into the SCART port of my OSSC directly (delivering 480p / 720p over SCART). However, once I add my gscartsw_lite into the mix, it won't pass through the HD signals through to my OSSC.

I tried toggling the little "CS" switch on the gscartsw_lite on and off, but no luck.

Any hints on this? Would the most current version of the gscartsw work better in this scenario? Thanks :)
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

hyne wrote:I have a question regarding my old (but still AWESOME) gscartsw_lite:

For my OG Xbox, I just purchased a SCART cable that is wired for YPbPr from: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/xbo ... n-Conveter

After softmodding my PAL Xbox to enable progressive output, the cable works great if I plug it into the SCART port of my OSSC directly (delivering 480p / 720p over SCART). However, once I add my gscartsw_lite into the mix, it won't pass through the HD signals through to my OSSC.

I tried toggling the little "CS" switch on the gscartsw_lite on and off, but no luck.
I'm pretty sure your gscartsw needs a sync signal on pin 20 to auto select the active input. Your YPvPr SCART cable doesn't provide that.
hyne wrote:Any hints on this? Would the most current version of the gscartsw work better in this scenario? Thanks :)
Yes the new gscartsw detects sync on pin 20 or pin 11 which carries Green in RGBS or Luma (Y) in your YPbPr cable.
-the Goat