What is your favorite Toaplan shooter (and version of it)?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
scrilla4rella

Re: What is your favorite Toaplan shooter (and version of it

Post by scrilla4rella »

I think I've written about this here before but the magazine Shooting Gameside had an interesting take. If you look at all the Toaplan shooters and order them by release date they alternate between simple/instantly gratifying and complex/more nuanced gameplay systems.

For example Slap Fight's complex Gradius-like powerup system gives way to the simple shoot and bomb mechanics of Sky Shark. Next is Twin Cobra with the more involved multi-weapon system. After that it Tatsujin which also has multi-weapon so it's not a perfect theory but then you have the complex Hellfire coming before the (overly?) simple Daisenpuu. It's like they were constantly trying to perfect each approach.

Back on topic:

I probably played the most of Twin Cobra on PCE and Sky Shark on Genesis (wish I had access to the arcade version). But recently I've been getting into the Mega Drive version of Slap Fight (such a good version!) I wish there was a better home port of V-V (Grindstormer)...
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I wonder why fireshark gets so much credit for its Mega Drive version. I didnt had so much fun with it while getting my clear. to much enemy patterns are just thrown in kamikaze planes even from behind which are no problem with the flamethrower but are just a pain with the other weapons. In comparison I felt that tatsujin or daisenpuu have the more detailed leveldesign. But all of them have to little space to maneuver for my taste. Sadly havent played the arcade versions.

But it shines with its accessibility, which is definitively not the case for tatsujin.

(I like Tiger Heli for the NES^^)
Neorebel

Post by Neorebel »

Hellfire MD port!