EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sinoc

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by Sinoc »

zak wrote:Was your initial feedback really "it's shit"?
It was a bit more nuanced then that but as it became more and more clear Shou wasn't actually telling Yack what I was trying to say I was more blunt about it.
donluca wrote:It looks like Shou knows exactly what the japanese market...
If he knew what he was doing he wouldn't both have such a tight sqeeze over smaller games AND fuck up deals with bigger ones.

[admin note - links to personal communication removed]
Last edited by Sinoc on Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

MrJBRPG wrote:I did speak with one of the developers behind Devil Engine (Sinnoc) through a private message, and those are confirmed by the same writer. However, I take all of those perspectives with grains of salt because there can be no complete story without getting all voices revealed, which is sometimes impossible.

Based on that sort of action, it seems that Exa Arcadia should not afford any more slip-ups like this or else negative reactions could spell doom. Exa Arcadia is a young company with big plans, and they got a lot to learn and improve from mistakes like this. One way for Exa Arcadia to really better handle arcade releases would be the following steps:
  • * Inform all involved parties, including the developer and publishers, especially the latter for different platforms
    * Be open to proposed changes by the developers and understand the games at the current form more thoroughly
    * Find a balance between intervening for suggestions and allowing developers freedom to change to their likings
    * All parties communicate regularly and professionally so that escalating conflict spirals can be avoided and minimized, that means no undercutting or exploitation
    * Developer and publishers involved should be very passionate for the arcade release and willing to revise any game to fit the arcade market
In spite of that one highlighted negative moment, there are a lot more positive reception for Exa Arcadia, through several examples besides a good number of games now available / preorders.

First, there is an interview conducted by Wilcox Arcade with Onion Soup Interactive, which delves deep about changes made for Nippon Marathon Hyper Turbo Running:
https://www.wilcoxarcade.com/single-pos ... ia-Updates

Another is Trap15, a user on this forum, has confirmed to work on Infinos Exa, and we will find out more by beating the game:
https://twitter.com/trap0xf/status/1232936422098661376

Also, people have been reporting glitches, problems, and bugs on the Exa Arcadia hardware and some games, such as accidental score reset, and Exa Arcadia are taking feedback seriously. Most notable on Arcade Otaku and speaking with ArcadeHero on some discord servers.

As a game developer who wants to develop on the platform, but have not yet made enough games, I would rather play safe with building a few games for mobile and PC / Console before having the confidence to develop for the Exa Arcadia platform.

Besides, Exa Arcadia has more stringent requirements than modern consoles, such as the following and confirmed publicly across forums and websites, but not limited to:
  • * Exclusive content is mandatory to stand out from other versions
    * Adjust the game balance to fit the arcade market, satisfying both operators and players
    * Games must support horizontal orientation as default, vertical games can be optimized by developer
    * Aspect ratio of 16:9 and 4:3 are implemented, with horizontal being default
    * Attract Mode and Tutorials are mandatory
    * Configuration set-up is implemented
    * The maximum input lag from game logic cannot exceed 4 frames (60 Htz with 1 frame per 16.67ms, totaling ~66.68 ms), despite that hardware can do 2 frames of input lag
lol, I can smell the shill from here
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Connor

Post by Connor »

Gus wrote:Love how obvious JBRPG is making it that he's getting paid to shill here.
Lol he's absolutely not getting paid by Exa he's just an absolutely rabid fanboy, you haven't read the thread on arcadeotaku have you? He's been doing this for a couple of years now https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37248.
Sinoc

Post by Sinoc »

Gus wrote: Very professional behavior on display here. Clearly the man to be trusted with reviving arcades and bringing shmups into the future. Love how he publicly blames the A&B devs for the lag in their game while privately admitting his shitty Windows 10 box can't do better than 3.5 frames of lag, by the way.
Reguarding that - The Devkit I had wasn't even as strong as the Switch. I had a very hard time getting DE to run on it well, and even using the Switch settings it performed worse in all areas (even stuff like loading). Switch DE runs at around 100 fps with vsync off, the exa kit was having a hard time holding 60.

My personal PC at the time, A not particularly cutting edge Windows 10 (enterprise) setup built in 2014, held around 1300 fps without any issue.

The PS5 is probably at least as good as the PS4, which holds around 200 no issue, so I doubt the validity of claims being stronger then that too.

To be transparent though: The kit I received got a bit banged up in the mail and I had to replace the CPU fan, while I don't think there were any thermal problems after I fixed it up it's possible something else happened I didn't catch.
donluca

Post by donluca »

The whole situation is really fucked up.

At this point I'd really like someone from EXA (Shou or someone close to him) to come up here and tell with tangible proof how things went exactly, because things are looking very very bad for EXA and it's incredible no one has turned up to do at least some damage control.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Great knowing that the mods are secretly Exa shills. My apologies for posting the wrong opinion.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Why no anime girls in Infinos Exa, though?
system11

Post by system11 »

I've had to clean this thread up - reasons:
1) You're not allowed to post private communication here.
2) Some aspects were serious accusations where the context is not obvious.
3) Some outright defamation where two issues with different companies appear to have been mixed up.

I have been in contact with Sinoc and Shou.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
system11

Post by system11 »

Gus wrote:Great knowing that the mods are secretly Exa shills. My apologies for posting the wrong opinion.
I removed your post because it contained wrong facts. I had quite a long discussion with both parties before deciding what to do with this one.
donluca

Post by donluca »

So... what are the correct facts?
system11

Post by system11 »

donluca wrote:So... what are the correct facts? There was defamation... on which part?

Is this whole discussion a fluke?
Publisher and developer had an issue and there is no longer a business relationship. One of the posts mixed this up with an issue with a different publiser. If I post anything else then I would be re-posting the entire thing, as I say I spoke to both parties about this, they both seem to want this to end now and get on with their lives, so lets stop dragging it up. Nothing good can come from continuing the drama.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Thanks, that clears it up.

Not asking to repost anything as posting private conversation without the agreement of both parts was wrong in the first place.

I'll read that "both parties want to end this now and get on with their lives" as a "we both made mistakes, no matter who did the first move, and we just want to move on".

YMMV.
zak

Post by zak »

Back to Exa Hardware/Software discussion.

How's everyone enjoying theirs so far? The unit itself is pretty tiny, but quite heavy!

I've only bought one game (Aka) and it's been great! I can get up to stage 3 fairly regularly now. Still need to get the Stage 2 boss pattern down, so I don't waste lives. Stage 3 is quite a rush.

I've been eyeing Akryios recently, but I may save the pennies for Shikhondo.
Last edited by zak on Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
yosai

Post by yosai »

zak wrote:I've been eyeing Akryios recently, but I may save the pennies for Shikhondo.
Danmaku Unlimited 3 and Soul Eater are both available on Steam so you can try before commiting to the Exa ports.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

You may as well delete my previous post for it doesn't make much sense now, though it would have been interesting to know why the publisher tried to force the anime girls addition into Devil Engine but they didn't into Infinos Exa.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I am glad the flame wars is over. Happy to be back on topic.

I am curious how many of you are interested in developing games for the platform?

Disclaimer:
I have not developed any games with the platform yet nor do I have the development kit.

As a game developer who wants to develop on the platform, but have not yet made enough games, I would rather play safe with building a few games for mobile and PC / Console before having the confidence to develop for the Exa Arcadia platform.

Besides, Exa Arcadia has more stringent requirements than modern consoles, such as the following and confirmed publicly across forums and websites, but not limited to:

* Exclusive content is mandatory to stand out from other versions
* Adjust the game balance to fit the arcade market, satisfying both operators and players
* Games must support horizontal orientation as default, vertical games can be optimized by developer
* The maximum input lag from game logic cannot exceed 4 frames (60 Htz with 1 frame per 16.67ms, totaling ~66.68 ms), despite that hardware can do 2 frames of input lag
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

MrJBRPG wrote:Besides, Exa Arcadia has more stringent requirements than modern consoles, such as the following and confirmed publicly across forums and websites, but not limited to:

* Exclusive content is mandatory to stand out from other versions
This is literally just the same post again dude.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

zak wrote:Back to Exa Hardware/Software discussion.

How's everyone enjoying theirs so far? The unit itself is pretty tiny, but quite heavy!

I've only bought one game (Aka) and it's been great! I can get up to stage 3 fairly regularly now. Still need to get down the Stage 2 boss pattern down, so I don't waste lives. Stage 3 is quite a rush.

I've been eyeing Akryios recently, but I may save the pennies for Shikhondo.
I bought Akyrios but put it on location already on Saturday. Would have played more but was stuck in a pinball tournament at the location most of the day, then left. I'll put some serious time into it on Wednesday. Also thinking we'll have Infinos in this week as well. Still haven't seen Stage 3 on Aka to Blue yet, but also only get a serious crack at it once a week.
zak

Post by zak »

Nice! Has Aka & Blue been a hit for you?
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I wouldn't say a hit, but its done pretty well considering these are casual players playing. Casual people play it b/c of how good it looks is the feedback I've been hearing. Putting in Infinos tomorrow. So we'll see how all 3 of those do. Need to get some more horizontal stuff here soon. I have my eye on 2 games specifically for hori, then probably wait til the summer for something vertical.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

zak wrote:I've been eyeing Akryios recently, but I may save the pennies for Shikhondo.
Based on PC/Console versions I think Akryios is a much better bet personally. I got Shikhondo on PS4 and just couldn't get into it but have put hours into Danmaku Unlimited 3.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Found a recent article by Arcade Heroes Confirming that Super Hydorah AC and Gimmick! Exaxt Mix are available fore pre-orders.
https://arcadeheroes.com/2020/03/06/gim ... pre-order/

Also, the recently added fighting game Chaos Code has received a new title with end being ExactXenoAttack (EXA).

Personally, I am the most hyped for Super Hydorah AC because it is one of the few launch titles with two player simultaneous, along with Strania EX.

Bring in more multiplayer shmups, even with 4 players (Lightning Knights being the closest).
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

MrJBRPG wrote: Also, the recently added fighting game Chaos Code has received a new title with end being ExactXenoAttack (EXA).
How can this happen when FK Digital has already stated they're ceasing development of new titles, unless they completed content for it beforehand
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

With the coronavirus hitting the world hard, it seems that Exa Arcadia is taking some steps back until pandemic comes to a significant slowdown.

The spring festival may at most be postponed unless they can do a digital direct presentation.

Also, shmup and CAVE fans are going to love this news (Yes, I saw a separate thread made recently):

https://exa.ac/en/2020/03/19/dodonpachi ... 177369a3b7

The good news is that Exa Arcadia seems to be keeping busy no matter the crisis.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

MrJBRPG wrote:With the coronavirus hitting the world hard, it seems that Exa Arcadia is taking some steps back until pandemic comes to a significant slowdown.

The spring festival may at most be postponed unless they can do a digital direct presentation.

Also, shmup and CAVE fans are going to love this news (Yes, I saw a separate thread made recently):

https://exa.ac/en/2020/03/19/dodonpachi ... 177369a3b7

The good news is that Exa Arcadia seems to be keeping busy no matter the crisis.
Lol, I was just surprised I beat you to the punch on that one.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

MrJBRPG wrote: Also, shmup and CAVE fans are going to love this news (Yes, I saw a separate thread made recently):
Yes, I love that they are making a new version of a game, that I can only play if I go to Japan and find an arcade there that has it.
Connor

Post by Connor »

Sumez wrote:
MrJBRPG wrote: Also, shmup and CAVE fans are going to love this news (Yes, I saw a separate thread made recently):
Yes, I love that they are making a new version of a game, that I can only play if I go to Japan and find an arcade there that has it.
You could always buy it and charge your friends to play it :wink:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

cv1k port to a platform with 3 frames of default lag, good luck I guess
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Sumez wrote:
That's the thing about arcade video games: they're aimed towards operators, which means higher price per unit and fewer units required to break even compared to home and mobile games. The former is only accessible by location while the latter is available for consumers. There are thousands of arcades worldwide, plus a few collectors, and many arcade games sell between 100 to 10,000 units with prices far above home consumer prices. Modern indie arcade games are lucky if they can reach 100 units sold. The most affordable price range for operators tend to be between $3000 - $8000, and it's dedicated games. EXA Arcadia has the lowest cost possible for operators (and collectors rich enough to afford) with about $2000 - $2500 and each game between $900 and $1500.

With the virus pandemic happening, arcade video games are a risky business compared to all other platforms for home and personal. In the USA, many states, including California, have closed down non-essential businesses temporarily, including any businesses that have arcade game machines.

Nonetheless, it seems that EXA Arcadia is pushing through the hard times and hope everyone stays safe.
Last edited by MrJBRPG on Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Sumez wrote:
I knew I shouldn't have wished for a new cave game on that monkeys paw. Hopefully we'll get video of it.

*Monkeys paws second finger folds in*

*There's a WR video, but you can only watch it at one arcade in japan, on a busted black and white 13" crt with verticle hold issues, with MrJBRPG doing live commentary of the run.